ADVERTISEMENT

Administrative growth (bloat) at WSU

Stretch 74

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
This has been discussed in a thread here and mentioned from time to time in other discussions. Below is the article from the SR that I had referenced, was able to find it online. Pretty hard to justify that kind of growth in overhead functions, if you ask me.

61 percent growth over past 30 years is nothing compared to 861 percent growth in administrators

March 10, 2019 Updated Mon., March 11, 2019 at 1:35 p.m.

By Shawn Vestal shawnv@spokesman.com(509) 459-5431

A lot has changed at Washington State University in the past 30 years.

The number of students attending the university has grown dramatically – by 61 percent between 1988 and 2018.

The number of full-time faculty members has grown quite a bit, too, though it hasn’t kept pace – rising 41 percent.

The number of grad students enlisted to teach has grown by 52 percent.

Campuses have been added. A new medical school opened. The football team started playing moneyball and got good.

But nothing – nothing – has grown in the universe of WSU like the number of administrators. It’s the bamboo of the university system.

In 1988, there were the equivalent of 208 full-time employees classified as administrative or professional staff, according to a chart compiled by the WSU Office of Institutional Research. By last academic year, 2017-18, that had risen to 1,999.

That’s an increase of 861 percent.

Only tuition, which grew by 482 percent, grew at a rate anywhere near the dramatic increase in vice presidents and deans and associate deans and chancellors and chairs and directors. And there are now 64 WSU employees earning more than $250,000 annually, according to the state database of employee salaries.

Most of those who aren’t coaches are administrators.

Which of course raises – again – the question: How much of the brutal increase in the cost of college is going to pay not for education, but administration?

This question is not so easy to answer, and the situation is not unique to WSU by any means. The trend has raced on for decades, and critics have long identified it as one factor driving up costs for students.

Across the country, tuition has risen dramatically in recent decades. Coupled with an erosion of student financial support, that has produced an explosion of educational indebtedness. We are giving too many young people a wrong-footed, debt-burdened start to life that’s a raw deal compared to what most of us who went to college a couple of decades ago enjoyed.

A 2017 paper by a pair of George Mason University professors concluded that most of the proceeds from that rising tuition revenue have gone into “auxiliary” non-instructional spending.

The authors of the paper, titled “The Changing of the Guard: The Political Economy of Administrative Bloat in Higher Education,” show that rising administrative spending has been paralleled by reduced classroom spending. Between 1980s and 2009, instructional spending grew the least of four categories: student services, academic support, institutional support and instruction.

Instructional spending per student rose 39 percent from 1993 to 2007, while administrative spending per student rose 61 percent, the authors said.

“Universities have increased spending, but very little of that increased spending has been related to classroom instruction; rather, it is being directed toward non-classroom costs,” the authors wrote. “As a result, there has been a growth in academic bureaucracies, as universities focus on hiring employees to manage or administer people, programs, and regulations. Between 2001 and 2011, these sorts of hires have increased 50% faster than the number of classroom instructors.”

In 2014, the New England Center for Investigative Reporting analyzed the expansion of administrative jobs at all U.S. colleges and universities between 1987 and 2012. They found an average of 87 new administrative or professional employees were hired at some college in America every working day during that period.

So it’s hardly a WSU-specific issue. Comparative figures for that time frame weren’t immediately available this week for Eastern Washington University or the University of Washington.

Phil Weiler, vice president for marketing and communications for WSU, noted there are several reasons more administrators are needed at the university now than in years past. WSU has added a lot of campuses and programs – a new campus in Everett last year, a new medical school in Spokane, and ambitious public health initatives.

In addition, there has been an increased need for administrators to manage an expansion of state and federal regulations, as well as to direct university efforts to raise funds and offer a range of non-traditional programs such as online education or professional development courses. And today’s students have much higher expectations for services.

However, Weiler wrote in an email, there is nascent effort among research universities to evaluate their levels of administration and compare institutions.

Which is overdue. As is an examination of the flip side of this coin: how the concentration of resources at the top is affecting that ever-more-costly education that we are offering our young people.

What this doesn’t account for is the number of positions that have moved from classified staff to AP in the same time. Biggest reason for that is simple: AP are at-will employees and can be dismissed on a whim. CS cannot. AP benefit rates are also slightly lower, but they typically get paid more. AP also doesn’t get regular raises, while CS gets longevity raises annually for their first 5 years (regardless of performance). The number of CS positions has declined, replaced by AP positions that were intentionally created to fall outside of an existing CS description.

That’s not to say there hasn’t been bloat. There absolutely has,as I described in another post. Another source of this has been the med school, which has set itself up with a Dean and admin staff on each campus, instead of centralizing. So there’s a full administrative unit for less than 100 students.

Honestly, it’s pretty shameful how the inversion of the org chart has happened. It should be triangular, getting narrower at the top. WSU seems to be trying to get to an hourglass, with a bunch of administrators and an equal number of low level laborers, with a small number of middle managers (also known as scapegoats) in between.

What this doesn’t account for is the number of positions that have moved from classified staff to AP in the same time. Biggest reason for that is simple: AP are at-will employees and can be dismissed on a whim. CS cannot. AP benefit rates are also slightly lower, but they typically get paid more. AP also doesn’t get regular raises, while CS gets longevity raises annually for their first 5 years (regardless of performance). The number of CS positions has declined, replaced by AP positions that were intentionally created to fall outside of an existing CS description.

That’s not to say there hasn’t been bloat. There absolutely has,as I described in another post. Another source of this has been the med school, which has set itself up with a Dean and admin staff on each campus, instead of centralizing. So there’s a full administrative unit for less than 100 students.

Honestly, it’s pretty shameful how the inversion of the org chart has happened. It should be triangular, getting narrower at the top. WSU seems to be trying to get to an hourglass, with a bunch of administrators and an equal number of low level laborers, with a small number of middle managers (also known as scapegoats) in between.
Your Classified vs AP point is semi valid. Semi because the decline in Classified is dwarfed by the increase in AP. Not even counting the executive bloat. I'm too lazy to go to WSU's Institutional Research page for the numbers but last time I looked the relative changes were validated. Also, I don't know where you get the idea that AP benefits are less than Classified. They all have the same insurance plans, AP get TIAA contributions (as good or better than PERS), more vacation, and yes more pay. It's a den of thieves. If a decent private company came in and surveyed the situation they would clean so much house.

Your Classified vs AP point is semi valid. Semi because the decline in Classified is dwarfed by the increase in AP. Not even counting the executive bloat. I'm too lazy to go to WSU's Institutional Research page for the numbers but last time I looked the relative changes were validated. Also, I don't know where you get the idea that AP benefits are less than Classified. They all have the same insurance plans, AP get TIAA contributions (as good or better than PERS), more vacation, and yes more pay. It's a den of thieves. If a decent private company came in and surveyed the situation they would clean so much house.
It holds up - the AP benefits rate is a few percent (5ish) lower than CS. That probably largely a function of higher salaries, but I haven’t looked it up either. And, not all AP get TIAA - at least, not anymore. Especially if they convert from CS to AP mid-career, it often makes more sense to stick with PERS (2 for sure. Haven’t looked at 3, because why would I?)

There’s another wave coming. With adjustments to the CS salary scales, there are an increasing number of cases where senior CS report to an AP position (director or assistant) who makes less than them (base salary, not overtime). The system is not going to allow that for long. There will be a move to bump those AP positions back ahead of their subordinates. And when you adjust those, you’ll have to adjust the ones they report to, and the wave will continue upward.

It holds up - the AP benefits rate is a few percent (5ish) lower than CS. That probably largely a function of higher salaries, but I haven’t looked it up either. And, not all AP get TIAA - at least, not anymore. Especially if they convert from CS to AP mid-career, it often makes more sense to stick with PERS (2 for sure. Haven’t looked at 3, because why would I?)

There’s another wave coming. With adjustments to the CS salary scales, there are an increasing number of cases where senior CS report to an AP position (director or assistant) who makes less than them (base salary, not overtime). The system is not going to allow that for long. There will be a move to bump those AP positions back ahead of their subordinates. And when you adjust those, you’ll have to adjust the ones they report to, and the wave will continue upward.
You know your shit man. Are you at WSU?

So what you're saying is that the local government, the State of Washington, is giving jobs, employing people, and their families, excessively with good benefits? And you think the excessive is over the top, and you're not okay with this?

The largest employer in Pullman, supporting Whitman county, the wheat fields of the Palouse, where you're lucky to have a good job, (in addition to Schweitzer Engineering, which by the way, has over 5,000 employees).....you're not happy or okay with the excessive amount of Administrators at WSU?

BTW, why do I throw Schweitzer into the mix? Who is their biggest customer? The government. Blessing the wheat fields of the Palouse, and their families.

And you're not okay with this?

Last edited:
So what you're saying is that the local government, the State of Washington, is giving jobs, employing people, and their families, excessively with good benefits? And you think the excessive is over the top, and you're not okay with this?

The largest employer in Pullman, supporting Whitman county, (in addition to Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories, who has over 5,000 employees).....you're not happy about the excessive amount of Administrators at WSU?
No, the point is not that people are receiving good wages through tax dollars, its that the school is being mismanaged and could run more efficiently with less personnel.

Its really easy to spend other people's money. Lets tie executive level pay at the university to some sort of KPI that measures efficiency vis a vis admin $$/ per student, or something along those lines. I'm guessing we would see a massive and rapid reduction in executive support staff.

Ironically, all this extra personnel is supposed to help the university operate more efficiently, but my experience is that the wheels are turning as slow as ever.

No, the point is not that people are receiving good wages through tax dollars, its that the school is being mismanaged and could run more efficiently with less personnel.

Its really easy to spend other people's money. Lets tie executive level pay at the university to some sort of KPI that measures efficiency vis a vis admin $$/ per student, or something along those lines. I'm guessing we would see a massive and rapid reduction in executive support staff.

Ironically, all this extra personnel is supposed to help the university operate more efficiently, but my experience is that the wheels are turning as slow as ever.
I think. you replied, before I finished my final edit to my post. My thinking is this. Why do I throw Schweitzer into the mix? Who is their biggest customer? The government. Blessing the wheat fields of the Palouse, and their families.

Who cares if there is waste and inneficiencey? It's the government. They print the money and employ people, especially where there are aren't good jobs around. Like Alaska and Montana. Mostly folks are working directly or indirectly for the government. Good pay, good benefits, and their employed.

As you know, the money does not come from what you and I pay into the IRS. So...it's not taxpayer dollars. It's money the feds print and create.

Who cares if it's wasteful. I don't. They just create the money.

Within 6 months, all the people who lost their homes and businesses in Lahaina, especially if they didn't have insurance, will be compensated by the feds. And the feds, directly or indirectly will pay for the town to be rebuilt! That will also create jobs!

Blessing the wheat fields of the Palouse, and their families. That's how I look at it. Boondoggle yes? But, you have to admit, unemployment levels are down....so it works.

Beats working at the downtown Chevron.

Last edited:
I think. you replied, before I finished my final edit to my post. My thinking is this. Why do I throw Schweitzer into the mix? Who is their biggest customer? The government. Blessing the wheat fields of the Palouse, and their families.

Who care if there is waste and inneficiencey? It's the government. They print the money and employ people, especially where there are aren't good jobs around. Like Alaska and Montana. Mostly folks are working directly or indirectly for the government. Good pay, good benefits, and their employed.

By the way, the money does not come from what you and I pay into the IRS. So...it's not taxpayer dollars. It's money the feds print and create.

Within 6 months, all the people who lost their homes and businesses in Lahaina, especially if they didn't have insurance, will be compensated by the feds. And the feds, directly or indirectly will pay for the town to be rebuilt! That will also create jobs!

Blessing the wheat fields of the Palouse, and their families. That's how I look at it. Boondoggle yes? But, you have to admit, unemployment levels are down....so it works.

That's a pretty darn bizarre philosophy you have there. Who cares about the government printing money to pay for everything? I do, and every person with half a brain should also care. See, in the past 2 1/2 years the wasteful printing of money/government spending has caused 16% inflation. You may have noticed that if you have been to a grocery store lately, or pumped some gas/diesel, purchased a home or car, or paid rent. Or maybe you have thought about how much your IRA/Roth/401k savings would buy today vs 2/1/2021? About 15-20% less. But who cares about that, right?

This article here just happened to be on realclearpolitics.com today. Very illuminating!

That's a pretty darn bizarre philosophy you have there. Who cares about the government printing money to pay for everything? I do, and every person with half a brain should also care. See, in the past 2 1/2 years the wasteful printing of money/government spending has caused 16% inflation. You may have noticed that if you have been to a grocery store lately, or pumped some gas/diesel, purchased a home or car, or paid rent. Or maybe you have thought about how much your IRA/Roth/401k savings would buy today vs 2/1/2021? About 15-20% less. But who cares about that, right?

This article here just happened to be on realclearpolitics.com today. Very illuminating!

Agree 100% on the article. Where does the money come from to help Ukraine?
Where did the PPP money come from during COVID?
The feds even said on 60 Minutes that they print the money.

I'm more concerned about:

China manufacturing Fentanyl then shipping it to Mexico. Is China's goal to destroy America?
The cartel distributes it and gets it into our major cities. Nobody is stopping this.
LA, Venice Beach, Santa Monica, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle....all a war zone in the downtown. Addiction and destruction. Walking into stores and stealing in front of the store managers. Shooting up in front of the Police. The police don't do anything about it. That's what I'm concerned about....not the government printing money and employing people.

But Stretch...we are not supposed to worry. So stop worrying what you can't control. And if the TV News is driving the fear...then don't watch the TV News.

Last edited:

Who cares if there is waste and inneficiencey? It's the government. They print the money and employ people, especially where there are aren't good jobs around. Like Alaska and Montana. Mostly folks are working directly or indirectly for the government. Good pay, good benefits, and their employed.

As you know, the money does not come from what you and I pay into the IRS. So...it's not taxpayer dollars. It's money the feds print and create.

The inefficiency and ineffectiveness is what bothers me, along with the fact that these big (and increasing) salaries are being paid to people who have little actual responsibility, do little to no identifiable work, have little to no awareness of what their subordinates are doing, and have little to no impact on the education of students or the student experience. Meanwhile the people who are in the cashier’s office or the financial aid window, who actually know the rules and processes and have actual face to face interaction with students make something in the 40s, get whipped like dogs, get blamed for issues by both the students and their parents and by the administrators, and get more and more added to their duties because “we can’t afford more staff positions.” We can’t afford it because the guy in the corner office with a schedule full of pointless meetings and no real responsibilities just got a raise for picking the color of bathroom tile that the vice president really likes.

And yes, I know that’s how government jobs work. Doesn’t mean I have to like or accept it.

The inefficiency and ineffectiveness is what bothers me, along with the fact that these big (and increasing) salaries are being paid to people who have little actual responsibility, do little to no identifiable work, have little to no awareness of what their subordinates are doing, and have little to no impact on the education of students or the student experience. Meanwhile the people who are in the cashier’s office or the financial aid window, who actually know the rules and processes and have actual face to face interaction with students make something in the 40s, get whipped like dogs, get blamed for issues by both the students and their parents and by the administrators, and get more and more added to their duties because “we can’t afford more staff positions.” We can’t afford it because the guy in the corner office with a schedule full of pointless meetings and no real responsibilities just got a raise for picking the color of bathroom tile that the vice president really likes.

And yes, I know that’s how government jobs work. Doesn’t mean I have to like or accept it.
Totally understand.

M-I, unemployment levels are so low because
1. Labor force participation levels are low, and
2. The 73M baby boomers are retiring, or have retired, and being replaced by generation X, which consists of several million less people.

I'm sure massive government spending helps keep the numbers somewhat lower, too. But greater debt levels are increasingly hurting the US credit rating. That matters.

Goddam 95. I'm starting to like you more and more. Your post is spot on. And I personally know some of these WSU "administrators". Not bad people, but do they deserve their ridiculous salaries?. NO. A bunch of butt kissing lifers living off the dimes of us taxpayers, because there is no accountability, profit motive, or anything else that would keep them accountable. Gawd I'm so glad I'm retired from Higher Ed. My blood pressure just spiked writing this post.

Goddam 95. I'm starting to like you more and more. Your post is spot on. And I personally know some of these WSU "administrators". Not bad people, but do they deserve their ridiculous salaries?. NO. A bunch of butt kissing lifers living off the dimes of us taxpayers, because there is no accountability, profit motive, or anything else that would keep them accountable. Gawd I'm so glad I'm retired from Higher Ed. My blood pressure just spiked writing this post.

I’m starting to like you too.

Idiot.

😀

"Just printing money" creates inflation and a devaluation of money.

We sure as hell pay for it - by paying MORE for everything in every day life. It's the tax that none of us have representation over.

You should care deeply about 'just printing money'.

I’ve been here 20 years, it’s about time someone recognized my brilliance.

"Just printing money" creates inflation and a devaluation of money.

We sure as hell pay for it - by paying MORE for everything in every day life. It's the tax that none of us have representation over.

You should care deeply about 'just printing money'.
Yeah. Also, how does Inslee print money? I know the feds can, but I thought WSU was a state institution.

Yeah. Also, how does Inslee print money? I know the feds can, but I thought WSU was a state institution.
By passing new taxes into law during emergency sessions, in the dark of night...not quite the same as increasing the federal money supply, but very close in that all the new tax dollars go to feed the coffers of the state bureaucracy, ever increasing its size and power. WSU is included in that bureaucracy.

Reactions: Observer11
By selling carbon credits (and increasing your gas price) I guess.
By passing new taxes into law during emergency sessions, in the dark of night...not quite the same as increasing the federal money supply, but very close in that all the new tax dollars go to feed the coffers of the state bureaucracy, ever increasing its size and power. WSU is included in that bureaucracy.
Still taxes, not printing. Or is that fiscal, not monetary?

Ok, I’ll bite. Which taxes were passed “into law during emergency sessions in the dark of night”?

The long term care payroll tax wasn’t - it was passed in spring 2019. Still a dumbass law/tax, but it wasn’t snuck through.

The tax on capital gains? Passed in the 2021 session. Doesn’t seem to have been snuck through either. Not sure I buy the court’s reasoning on it, but it Only applies to certain income over $250K anyway, and helps cover the budget shortfall for K-12, so I don’t have a serious issue with it. Yet.

Ok, I’ll bite. Which taxes were passed “into law during emergency sessions in the dark of night”?

The long term care payroll tax wasn’t - it was passed in spring 2019. Still a dumbass law/tax, but it wasn’t snuck through.

The tax on capital gains? Passed in the 2021 session. Doesn’t seem to have been snuck through either. Not sure I buy the court’s reasoning on it, but it Only applies to certain income over $250K anyway, and helps cover the budget shortfall for K-12, so I don’t have a serious issue with it. Yet.
Cap and trade, after numerous attempts to pass law, failed ballot measures, this was passed at the last possible moment of a session in 2021, against the peoples wishes. This virtue signal is turning out to be a Uge tax on the lower and middle class, especially those in rural areas.

I have been saying for years that college is expensive due to all the overhead and pricey professors.

Cap and trade, after numerous attempts to pass law, failed ballot measures, this was passed at the last possible moment of a session in 2021, against the peoples wishes. This virtue signal is turning out to be a Uge tax on the lower and middle class, especially those in rural areas.
Looks like it went through during the regular session in 2021. Amendments were approved on the next to last day of the session. It’s the kind of law that’s always going to be unpopular, because the big money corporations it aims at will try hard to convince people how bad it is. But, considering how effectively the republicans and the new Supreme Court are undermining regulations at the federal level…I’m fine with the state picking up the slack. Although gas near $5 isn’t my favorite thing.

Looks like it went through during the regular session in 2021. Amendments were approved on the next to last day of the session. It’s the kind of law that’s always going to be unpopular, because the big money corporations it aims at will try hard to convince people how bad it is. But, considering how effectively the republicans and the new Supreme Court are undermining regulations at the federal level…I’m fine with the state picking up the slack. Although gas near $5 isn’t my favorite thing.
Spoken like a typical entitled elite. Tell that to the lower class mom and dad who are spending an additional $150-$200/month ($2k/year) with nothing in return. Not to mention, the additional cost of goods, specifically in our state now that we have the highest fuel prices in the country.

Never said inslee prints money. Numbercrunchr already explained the state taxes.
My question was how can Inslee print money? You said because 2 counties vote for him.

My original point was about increased spending on Admin at WSU is not funded the same way as PPP and other fed. deficit spending.

Spoken like a typical entitled elite. Tell that to the lower class mom and dad who are spending an additional $150-$200/month ($2k/year) with nothing in return. Not to mention, the additional cost of goods, specifically in our state now that we have the highest fuel prices in the country.
Never been mistaken for an elite, thanks.

Deregulation isn’t going to help those people either. Very few corporations can be counted on to improve anything but their bottom line.

Cap & trade is clearly going to flow downhill and be paid by the consumer, so that sort of rule needs to be accompanied by something to soften the blow at the lower end of the economic spectrum. It never is though, because half the voting population just sees that as another form of welfare and is automatically against it. Those ones are also against luxury taxes and anything that taxes the wealthy who can afford it. Something has to give.

I have been saying for years that college is expensive due to all the overhead and pricey professors.
A few profs are pricey, but a lot of that cost is for new services and new facilities, with entire new layers of bureaucracy attached to them

Never been mistaken for an elite, thanks.

Deregulation isn’t going to help those people either. Very few corporations can be counted on to improve anything but their bottom line.

Cap & trade is clearly going to flow downhill and be paid by the consumer, so that sort of rule needs to be accompanied by something to soften the blow at the lower end of the economic spectrum. It never is though, because half the voting population just sees that as another form of welfare and is automatically against it. Those ones are also against luxury taxes and anything that taxes the wealthy who can afford it. Something has to give.
Just wait until oil is $200 a barrel. Solar, wind, geothermal, tidal, nuclear, all promising on varying scales depending on how you do it and what you expect it to accomplish, and batteries moving toward sodium puts a crimp in electric cars but makes stationary storage for homes or utilities much more viable because you don't need lithium, cobalt, nickel etc in the same kinds of amounts to make those. Hydrogen seems like a boondoggle, but the energy/power to be drawn from it means it might have a niche with shipping or heavy equipment. For baseload power though, people are probably going to have to come around to nuclear, or learn how to churn their own butter.

Reactions: Coug90
Just wait until oil is $200 a barrel. Solar, wind, geothermal, tidal, nuclear, all promising on varying scales depending on how you do it and what you expect it to accomplish, and batteries moving toward sodium puts a crimp in electric cars but makes stationary storage for homes or utilities much more viable because you don't need lithium, cobalt, nickel etc in the same kinds of amounts to make those. Hydrogen seems like a boondoggle, but the energy/power to be drawn from it means it might have a niche with shipping or heavy equipment. For baseload power though, people are probably going to have to come around to nuclear, or learn how to churn their own butter.
We had a dairy so we’re good for that. But good raw/un- homo. milk is damn expensive. Not that there’s anything wrong with homo. milk, other than it doesn’t work very good for butter if you can’t skim the cream.

Still looking for a promising battery tech to put some money in. If someone can figure out how to store power on a utility scale, there’s your next wave of billionaires.

Still looking for a promising battery tech to put some money in. If someone can figure out how to store power on a utility scale, there’s your next wave of billionaires.
There is already. CA mandated it starting in about '13. And CA recently passed a mandate for solar and energy storage for commercial buildings. It's already there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT