ADVERTISEMENT

After reading a recent feature story on Dennis Erickson...

Which made it all the more galling that he called out Leach for mistreatment of players.

Not many coaches could have had the success in college that Dennis Erickson did and several stops. As a coach, he was great during his prime. Go look at a lot of coaches bio's and you will see a lot of stops along the way. Because Erickson was good, he was offered a lot of jobs along the way. He was sought after, he didn't go chasing jobs like Nueheisel did.

Walden on the other hand, his biggest contribution was that he was not sought after, so he stayed for nine years. He did get the game back in Pullman. Still, he just did things that other coaches could and should have been able to do.

There are examples of people passing up on bigger paydays all the time, but not so much in the sports world. Again, I don't blame Erickson for leaving, but he had zero loyalty to anyone over his entire career. Not that it's the same thing, but I changed jobs in 2000 and got a $10,000 raise. After a year, I was back where I was to start with because I realized that being happy was more important than money. When you look at a guy like Erickson, his ego and greed drove a lot of his decisions. It's human nature but that doesn't mean we have to like it. As mentioned above and in numerous threads about his stop at ASU, nobody respects Erickson as a human being.

On Walden, given that WSU has been a legit conference title contender about 8 times in the past 60 years, you might be underselling what he did with that 1981 team. Nobody thinks he was a "great" coach, but just because he turned into a tool towards the end of his WSU tenure doesn't mean that he wasn't a great Coug overall. That man has done more for WSU in his life than anyone on this board many times over. It's too bad that his angst over Wulff ruined him but few people that aren't alums loved WSU the way he did.

This is some veiled revisionism.

Erickson was widely reviled and mocked in WSU cIrcles for bolting Pullman to take the Miami job after spending just two years in Pullman. This shortly after ditching Wyoming after just one year. He's also held in disdain around Moscow for ditching them to take the ASU job. All quite logical professional opportunities but Dennis left a sour taste wherever he carpetbagged to his next stop.

Definitely a quality football coach but the fact is Dennis is all about Dennis and always has been.

Amen Brother. No says Walden was a better game day coach than DE, but WSU was a paycheck and a stepping stone from him, as was every other place he coached. Walden loved WSU but became bitter and 3 winning seasons in 4 years, was rewarded by jack all in upgrades. Very similar to Mike Price, another coach who left bitter.

You are correct when you suggest Walden would have had bowl teams in '83 and '84 had there been more bowls available. It also is true Walden recruited the players Erickson shaped into a winner in '88, but I doubt Walden would have achieved the same success had he remained. His and his staff's verbal and physical mistreatment of players in '85 and '86 sealed his fate. There was no recovering from that.

Walden lost more players to injury in practice than he ever lost during games. I left WSU athletics in 6/86, at that point the complaint by the players about Walden was, as it always had been, his practices were just too physical for the team to play at their best on Saturdays. If that is mistreatment, he was a habitual offender.

My head say you are right about 1988, but man I'd like to have seen the multiple set system that Walden had developed, with the Utley and Dyko led OL. Broussard and Swinton in the backfield, Stalworth at WR and our first and only dual threat QB in Rosie (modern offense 20 years early). But alas, Walden was his own worst enemy.

Reactions: chinookpirate
Erickson was an innovative coach who did better coaching other coaches' recruits than his own. Walden could recruit and find talent, but wasn't innovative enough to win with less. Erickson lucked out by inheriting the best OL in school history, by a country mile and an NFL QB and RB. He recruited like crap in Pullman, however. Walden squandered his chance for greatness in 1983 with the Rypien affair, the dumbest move since Evashevski was shown the door. Bottom line: both guys had their flaws, but Erickson was/is an insincere carpetbagger. Walden gets the nod over Erickson.

For us younger fans; what was the Rypien affair of 1983?

FWIW, I don't blame Erickson for leaving. He would have been an idiot not to go. At the same time, when you look at his overall career arc, he was a mercenary and nothing more. That doesn't mean he wasn't good at it.

My comments about Walden were based on the idea that he set the table for Erickson to be successful. He recruited some damned good players, he got football games back in Pullman and he was the guy who steadied the ship and stopped the revolving door at WSU. Without Walden, who knows if WSU would have started to "expect" to be a factor in the Pac-10 again. The 1981 team was the first time in about 25 years that WSU was a serious contender for the conference title. He fostered the attitude that WSU could play with anybody and he energized the fanbase. It was time for him to leave when he bailed for Iowa State, but it reflects a lack of understanding of WSU history to ignore his contributions.
Hey, flat. I always find it interesting that with statements like this, the statement is always looking at one side of the "possibilities"… I'm no fan of Walden. He was average, at best, for me. So take my view into perspective when I ask this… Why is it that when you say that "he did this, he did that"… which he did, I'm not denying this!!! But what makes you think that wouldn't have happened, regardless of whom was coach? I mean, getting our team back to Pullman was huge but what coach, with a pair of cojones that at least resembles the size of a dog, wouldn't be fighting tooth and nail for that? This as an example, anyways.

I see the contributions he made but I don't know if just about any coach wouldn't have gotten those done… At least IMHO.

Hey, flat. I always find it interesting that with statements like this, the statement is always looking at one side of the "possibilities"… I'm no fan of Walden. He was average, at best, for me. So take my view into perspective when I ask this… Why is it that when you say that "he did this, he did that"… which he did, I'm not denying this!!! But what makes you think that wouldn't have happened, regardless of whom was coach? I mean, getting our team back to Pullman was huge but what coach, with a pair of cojones that at least resembles the size of a dog, wouldn't be fighting tooth and nail for that? This as an example, anyways.

I see the contributions he made but I don't know if just about any coach wouldn't have gotten those done… At least IMHO.

Whenever you look back at something that happened three decades ago, there is no doubt that time tweaks the way that we view things. I can see where it would be easy to feel that once we got the games to Pullman, any coach could have done what he accomplished. The worst part about our history is when you look back and realize the ways that our university was screwed over by our fellow conference members. Getting voted OUT of the Sugar Bowl by petty a-holes who didn't want us to experience success. The fact that from 1921 to 1983, WSU played USC in Pullman a total of 5 times and they made us play in the LA area 35 times (plus 5 games in either Spokane or Seattle). In our first 30 games against UCLA, only 4 were in Pullman. We used to have play UW in Seattle 3 out of 4 years. So much of the negative of our history is based on playing on a tilted playing field. In that respect, you wonder if Walden wasn't a beneficiary of changing times rather than the architect of the revival of our program.

For me, because Walden was the man in charge at the time, and he was the guy who actually got it to happen, I believe that he deserves the credit. He may not. Could we have done as much or more with another coach? Certainly the right coach could have. We have a long history of coaches who didn't. In a comparison between Walden and Erickson, I think Walden's loyalty and passion for WSU makes him a more forgiveable and supportable man. For what that's worth.

Reactions: kayak15
Whenever you look back at something that happened three decades ago, there is no doubt that time tweaks the way that we view things. I can see where it would be easy to feel that once we got the games to Pullman, any coach could have done what he accomplished. The worst part about our history is when you look back and realize the ways that our university was screwed over by our fellow conference members. Getting voted OUT of the Sugar Bowl by petty a-holes who didn't want us to experience success. The fact that from 1921 to 1983, WSU played USC in Pullman a total of 5 times and they made us play in the LA area 35 times (plus 5 games in either Spokane or Seattle). In our first 30 games against UCLA, only 4 were in Pullman. We used to have play UW in Seattle 3 out of 4 years. So much of the negative of our history is based on playing on a tilted playing field. In that respect, you wonder if Walden wasn't a beneficiary of changing times rather than the architect of the revival of our program.

For me, because Walden was the man in charge at the time, and he was the guy who actually got it to happen, I believe that he deserves the credit. He may not. Could we have done as much or more with another coach? Certainly the right coach could have. We have a long history of coaches who didn't. In a comparison between Walden and Erickson, I think Walden's loyalty and passion for WSU makes him a more forgiveable and supportable man. For what that's worth.
Take this statement knowing, I'm not that old to say, "I was around then". I wasn't.

While I'm certain Walden had a hand in that specific issue, don't you think the Director of Athletics had just as much, if not more, involvement in this?

Take this statement knowing, I'm not that old to say, "I was around then". I wasn't.

While I'm certain Walden had a hand in that specific issue, don't you think the Director of Athletics had just as much, if not more, involvement in this?

The stories that are told suggest that the ADs prior to Dick Young had more of a Jim Sterk type view of football. It was important to cultivate the Spokane fanbase and not worry about the students because the ones that cared would make it regardless. Walden felt that bringing all the home games back to Pullman would put the team in a better position to win and he sold the President and AD on that. Or so the stories go. Getting the actual change to happen was undoubtedly more of a function of the AD deciding to implement it. If you look at the fact that Martin Stadium was expanded in 1979 but we were still playing home games in Spokane in 1983, it tells you that it wasn't an easy sell and required a new AD to make it happen.

The stories that are told suggest that the ADs prior to Dick Young had more of a Jim Sterk type view of football. It was important to cultivate the Spokane fanbase and not worry about the students because the ones that cared would make it regardless. Walden felt that bringing all the home games back to Pullman would put the team in a better position to win and he sold the President and AD on that. Or so the stories go. Getting the actual change to happen was undoubtedly more of a function of the AD deciding to implement it. If you look at the fact that Martin Stadium was expanded in 1979 but we were still playing home games in Spokane in 1983, it tells you that it wasn't an easy sell and required a new AD to make it happen.
Exactly my point. Walden could have screamed till he was blue in the face… It took the AD to get it done and an AD to truly work at it. Walden just opened his mouth enough to take the credit. Any coach can yell and scream, as we all know. To put that "W" into Walden's column is disingenuous, IMHO.

For us younger fans; what was the Rypien affair of 1983?

Mark Rypien, if you didn't know, was the most highly regarded recruit WSU has ever signed. The number #1 HS QB in the country. After the Spring of 1983, Rypien's soph year, Ricky Turner, a senior and team captain, was named the starter. We were running the Veer, a run first, option offense. Turner was much better suited that to run that offense. Rypien didn't like it, went home, saying he was quitting. Walden went to Spokane and convinced Rypien to return to the team by say he could start and that we would run a new "pro set" offense, a brand new, never practiced before, offense. The demotion of Turner in the Rypien living room, and the decision to revamp of the offense in the fall went over like a lead ballon in the locker room. We got off to a very bad start. Rypien then got injured, we re-installed the Veer, the team reunites and then won 5 straight Pac-10 games to close the year, beating a ranked Don James' led Husky team in Seattle easily, a team had been Rose Bowl bound after drubbing USC 24-0. James, after the game, chalked up the loss to just getting beat by the best team in the Pac-10.

A bitter, bitter pill for 1980s Cougs.

and considering Walden's post-Wulffian meltdown, I wonder how Cougar fans perceive both men, particularly if Erickson is now held in higher esteem. Certainly, Walden once easily outranked him, but is that still the case?
"perceived" in what way? As a man? Coach? Value to the school? First in the hearts of his countrymen? Be more specific.

In modern day terms, Walden inherited a bowl team with a senior QB who went #3 overall in the NFL draft.
Actually, it was Erickson that inherited the schools best offensive line to date, one of their better defensive lines, a first round draft pick at QB, another at RB. He also inherited a guy name Michael Pringle, who might have been better than Broussard, and after he transferred he broke Rueben Mayes single game rushing record.

As for Walden, most people outside the program believe he saved us from getting banished to the WAC or another school. Do you believe for one minute Leach (and have Tech like wins) would take a job where half the home games are played 90 minutes away, play USC, UW, and UCLA where the home games are on a neutral field, and their idea of a facilities remodel is going to Ace hardware in the summer and having the assistants paint their offices.

Yeah, sometimes there are numbers behind the numbers.

Actually, it was Erickson that inherited the schools best offensive line to date, one of their better defensive lines, a first round draft pick at QB, another at RB. He also inherited a guy name Michael Pringle, who might have been better than Broussard, and after he transferred he broke Rueben Mayes single game rushing record.

As for Walden, most people outside the program believe he saved us from getting banished to the WAC or another school. Do you believe for one minute Leach (and have Tech like wins) would take a job where half the home games are played 90 minutes away, play USC, UW, and UCLA where the home games are on a neutral field, and their idea of a facilities remodel is going to Ace hardware in the summer and having the assistants paint their offices.

You addressed not a single thing I said.

Exactly my point. Walden could have screamed till he was blue in the face… It took the AD to get it done and an AD to truly work at it. Walden just opened his mouth enough to take the credit. Any coach can yell and scream, as we all know. To put that "W" into Walden's column is disingenuous, IMHO.

Why Walden...cause he snapped a streak of losing a coach every year. Sweeney was one of the best college coaches in the country, and he never had it in him to get the games back to Pullman. JAckie Sherrill came in second twice at Pitt, in the country, he could have cared less if these games were played in Pullman. Warren Powers won a couple of years at Missouri, he stayed a year. All while a guy who had zero attachment to the school pleaded with Powers not to leave WSU after one year. He just didn't think it was right the kids would have four coaches in four years. Jankovich picked Walden and he won and did something for WSU that hadn't been done in 50 years...played for a conference championship in his 4th year. He took the team to a bowl game that year and his voice had to be heard. The AD could no longer not hear his pleas to get the games back to Pullman.

It was his battle cry, it was his ability to go blowing year four that made it so his voice would have to be heard.

I know you aren't a fan of Walden but man......that's harsh. LOL.

Walden has a book out there called "Tales from the Washington State Cougars Sideline" that is a good read and gives you a sense of how things were at WSU from Walden's perspective. If you take the time to read it, you'll understand the passion that the man had for WSU and how much of his being that he put into the university. Don't let his time as a bitter old man sour you completely on the guy. It's biased of course and there are a few parts of it that you won't agree with but it's still an interesting read. Of course, you'd be putting a tiny bit of change in his pocket by purchasing it.....so you may want to pass. ;)

Walden has a book out there called "Tales from the Washington State Cougars Sideline" that is a good read and gives you a sense of how things were at WSU from Walden's perspective. If you take the time to read it, you'll understand the passion that the man had for WSU and how much of his being that he put into the university. Don't let his time as a bitter old man sour you completely on the guy. It's biased of course and there are a few parts of it that you won't agree with but it's still an interesting read. Of course, you'd be putting a tiny bit of change in his pocket by purchasing it.....so you may want to pass. ;)
Have it, first edition, signed. So don't read into what I'm saying. I give credit where credit is due. I'm not saying Walden was completely useless. Not a fan, but he did some good stuff at WSU. Placing sole credit on him for getting the games to move back to Pullman? nope. Not his sole credit. Did he yell and scream over it? Yep because he was the first coach in that situation that felt like Pullman was home. But I give the AD more credit because, well, he did more to get it done.

Wrong. Pringle left the program before Erickson's arrival. And while I'm correcting mistakes here, your boy nookie also erred when he said Walden was one AC win away in 1982 of getting WSU to the Rose Bowl. Btw, saw your "staff member" friend. Wonder what Leach is going to say to him..

I started school in 87. The story is Bob Garman in the locker room and broke his jaw. Pringle left shortly after. Garmin was a freshman in the fall of 87.

I started school in 87. The story is Bob Garman in the locker room and broke his jaw. Pringle left shortly after. Garmin was a freshman in the fall of 87.

Pringle was part of the '85 recruiting class. He played as a true frosh. He had that scuffle his sophomore year (1986), as I recall, Garman was a 6-year guy, so that might have been during one of his freshman years.

So... when we win 10 games this year and Leach's name is attached to every major job opening, we should just sit tight and accept our fate... because promotions are just what coach's do, right?

NO. I was there and the answer is no.

The contributions Jim Walden made to WSU went far beyond money and few will ever appreciate it. He's gone from WSU now. I thank him and wish him well in retirement.

So... when we win 10 games this year and Leach's name is attached to every major job opening, we should just sit tight and accept our fate... because promotions are just what coach's do, right?

Ask your buddy Ed.

Wrong. Pringle left the program before Erickson's arrival. And while I'm correcting mistakes here, your boy nookie also erred when he said Walden was one AC win away in 1982 of getting WSU to the Rose Bowl. Btw, saw your "staff member" friend. Wonder what Leach is going to say to him..
What are you correcting? You are incorrect about Pringle. My boy nookie? He speaks for himself. The correct year for the AC and the Rose Bowl away as we know it was 1981. (which was very impressive) What would Leach say to who about what?

Last edited:
Ed, I worked with both Steve Broussard and Mike Pringle. The difference between the two was considerable. Mike was more ellusive, but Steve was #20 bigger, stronger and faster. Steve was a legit 10.5 sprinter carrying 200+, .25 seconds faster in the 55m. There are tangible reasons why Steve was an NFL 1st rounder and Mike was a 6th rounder/CFL guy. While Mike was a quality RB, probably better than anyone we have now, no one picking teams would ever take him over Steve, if lucid

Ed, I worked with both Steve Broussard and Mike Pringle. The difference between the two was considerable. Mike was more ellusive, but Steve was #20 bigger, stronger and faster. Steve was a legit 10.5 sprinter carrying 200+, .25 seconds faster in the 55m. There are tangible reasons why Steve was an NFL 1st rounder and Mike was a 6th rounder/CFL guy. While Mike was a quality RB, probably better than anyone we have now, no one picking teams would ever take him over Steve, if lucid
Yes, maybe a little hyperbole, but Pringle was very very good. He was an exceptional blocker for his size, and he had really quick feet. Would I rather have a sprinter in the back field or someone like (not a comparison for pure talent) like Walter Payton, meaning Walter could make a guy miss, and that is one trait I don't think Broussard had.

But yes, Broussard had some freakish times as a sprinter.

Point taken.

Who did Walden get to ghost write that? He sure as hell couldn't have written it himself. He is next to illiterate, and his vocabulary makes me think the General Lee is coming around the corner any second....

I don't think the point was to be specific.
Well, OK....Character-wise, they're both about as flawed as the comic/tragic villain on some bad soap opera. I would not hold them up as paragons of even moderate virtue in next to anything. In terms of coaching, Erickson is about five TIMES the coach Walden ever was or could be.

Both exhibit great vices, and lack judgment. Erickson's lack of control around booze, and Walden's lack of discernment when it comes to opening his big mouth. Walden is in the business of revising his Waldenhistoryatwazzu....and it is a constant, 24-hour job. But since he's a horrible revisionist, he comes across as bitter, vindictive, and idiotic. I'm not sure Erickson could even FIND Pullman at this stage in his life.....but coaching-wise, there is no contest, their records are light years apart. It's like asking who's the better President-- Harding or FDR???

Who did Walden get to ghost write that? He sure as hell couldn't have written it himself. He is next to illiterate, and his vocabulary makes me think the General Lee is coming around the corner any second....

He was so bad that Dave Boling and Bud Withers both had to help him write it. Those names will probably stir some negative feelings up themselves. Withers in particular.

Well, OK....Character-wise, they're both about as flawed as the comic/tragic villain on some bad soap opera. I would not hold them up as paragons of even moderate virtue in next to anything. In terms of coaching, Erickson is about five TIMES the coach Walden ever was or could be.

Both exhibit great vices, and lack judgment. Erickson's lack of control around booze, and Walden's lack of discernment when it comes to opening his big mouth. Walden is in the business of revising his Waldenhistoryatwazzu....and it is a constant, 24-hour job. But since he's a horrible revisionist, he comes across as bitter, vindictive, and idiotic. I'm not sure Erickson could even FIND Pullman at this stage in his life.....but coaching-wise, there is no contest, their records are light years apart. It's like asking who's the better President-- Harding or FDR???

I agree. I have read many people over the recent past that like Walden because he was nice to them. Walden is in the full business of revising his legacy at WSU.

I agree. I have read many people over the recent past that like Walden because he was nice to them. Walden is in the full business of revising his legacy at WSU.
Well there are a lot of people who never met the man and ad the same feelings. I think those who went through that area understand the job that he did and the obstacles that he had to hurdle. There are some, me included think he saved WSU's fate from being banished along with OSU to the WAC or some other lower level conference.

What legacy did he revise? We have coaches who always mention how we have great facilities and that is a must. Back in the day the practice field was shared with the intramural department. They didn't have a separate facility. Because the fields were grass and had so much traffic the team had to go to the concrete basement known as Martin Stadium by the second week of October.

One can only imagine the injury toll when practicing in that environment.

Guilty as charged. I don't like what he has become....even as I morph ever so slightly into a bitter old man myself...but that doesn't change the fact that he did some good things as WSU's head coach. The original question of who was a better coach is easily answered: Dennis Erickson.

Glad Cougar

Guilty as charged. I don't like what he has become....even as I morph ever so slightly into a bitter old man myself...but that doesn't change the fact that he did some good things as WSU's head coach. The original question of who was a better coach is easily answered: Dennis Erickson.

Glad Cougar

For their careers, Dennis was easily a better coach. They don't even belong in the same discussion. They are both flawed men. They both at times loved WSU and at other times not as much. Dennis was a Cougar fan growing up and wanted to go to WSU out of high school to play football, but was not offered. He was happy to be the coach of WSU, but his wanting to climb the coaching ladder was a much stronger pull.

Walden was here during a tough time at WSU. He had some great upset of the uw during his time. He was a cheerleader to get the games back on campus.

For their careers, Dennis was easily a better coach. They don't even belong in the same discussion. They are both flawed men. They both at times loved WSU and at other times not as much. Dennis was a Cougar fan growing up and wanted to go to WSU out of high school to play football, but was not offered. He was happy to be the coach of WSU, but his wanting to climb the coaching ladder was a much stronger pull.

Walden was here during a tough time at WSU. He had some great upset of the uw during his time. He was a cheerleader to get the games back on campus.

Therein lies the question? What was the intent of the OP? In terms of their impacts on WSU, I think Walden did far more for WSU than Erickson. In terms of who was a better coach? Erickson hands down. Better human being? Walden. Most crotchety old bastard? Walden. Most likely to show up drunk? Erickson. Most likely to sound like a drunk hillbilly? Walden. So difficult to really determine the winner here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT