ADVERTISEMENT

Allright, another attempt to lighten things up

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
I know, I've posted this before. But I'm looking at my own sweet dog right now and this now 20 year old (really?) Dierks Bentley video still kills me. Watched it a zillion times. Great song. But his dog. Just wagging and smiling the entire video. And yeah (sorry Julie) the smoking hot girl doesn't hurt. But the scenes where his dog is hanging out in the back of his rig are so dangerous and hilarious.

Sounds like you're asking for a "best dog" discussion?

Well for me, it was my near 15 year old black lab (a lab? I know - shocker)

Had the privilege and blessing to have him put down while I held him in my lap in our own yard thanks to an extremely accommodating spokane valley veterinarian who went above and beyond.

That dog (Luke) was simply the best. Dug no holes, ate no shoes. Super loyal and very mellow. Good running companion as well.

Currently have a 7 yr old German Shepard that is the most sweet, beautiful GS I've ever been around. When our Luke passed our shepherd definitely felt the loss. She's good and all, but it's not close between him and her. I still miss him and it's been over a year. 😔 that's all I have to say about that...

Reactions: kougkurt

Had the privilege and blessing to have him put down while I held him in my lap in our own yard thanks to an extremely accommodating spokane valley veterinarian who went above and beyond.

That dog (Luke) was simply the best. Dug no holes, ate no shoes. Super loyal and very mellow. Good running companion as well.

Currently have a 7 yr old German Shepard that is the most sweet, beautiful GS I've ever been around. When our Luke passed our shepherd definitely felt the loss. She's good and all, but it's not close between him and her. I still miss him and it's been over a year. 😔 that's all I have to say about that...
We have a 2 year old, 100lb choco lab that came into our lives as a gift from God, I'm convinced. We had to put down a very sick 7 year old pup that was over-bred (we didn't know) and had been dealing with health issues for over a year, and the decision was somewhat thrust upon us. To make the matter worse, between the emergency vet and the crematorium they lost his cremains, and all I got from either of them was finger pointing. Not a super great lasting memory of that experience, but I digress.

Our Kona is so sweet and kind and gentle (as possible for as big as he is), and he filled the hole in our heart from losing Korben Dallas (yes, that Korben Dallas). He had his puppy phase, but he's not a chewer or counter surfer or many of the bad traits labs are known for - he simply lives for love and snuggles and play.

Having put down 3 pets in 18 months from 2020 to 2021, the memories are still somewhat raw for me, and I dread the day I'm going to have to look my sweet Kona in the eyes as the vet... well, you know.

Time to wrap it up and go pour a whiskey.

Yeah I had a pit boxer cross for 15 years. All my dogs have come from the pound, including current one.

So when Clifford died, my now ex came in from the garage and said "I think he is dead". I'm like what? Went out there and he was laying there with his snout buried in the bag of dog treats. Don't know if he asphyxiated on the crumbs or just had his last meal. Didn't suffocate, it wasn't that tight on him.

Probably worst one was ex-ex girlfriend who had a 140 pound mastiff. He was having problems, so we hoisted him into the back seat of my car and raced to the vet. Well we got there and he had died during the 20 mile drive. Ever tried to hoist a dead 140 pound dog out of your back seat? While honey is sobbing in the front seat? Not an easy lift.

We have a 2 year old, 100lb choco lab that came into our lives as a gift from God, I'm convinced. We had to put down a very sick 7 year old pup that was over-bred (we didn't know) and had been dealing with health issues for over a year, and the decision was somewhat thrust upon us. To make the matter worse, between the emergency vet and the crematorium they lost his cremains, and all I got from either of them was finger pointing. Not a super great lasting memory of that experience, but I digress.

Our Kona is so sweet and kind and gentle (as possible for as big as he is), and he filled the hole in our heart from losing Korben Dallas (yes, that Korben Dallas). He had his puppy phase, but he's not a chewer or counter surfer or many of the bad traits labs are known for - he simply lives for love and snuggles and play.

Having put down 3 pets in 18 months from 2020 to 2021, the memories are still somewhat raw for me, and I dread the day I'm going to have to look my sweet Kona in the eyes as the vet... well, you know.

Time to wrap it up and go pour a whiskey.
You need help

uhhh... what?

I care a lot for my pets so I'm mentally deficient?

Nice take.
No, it means you have a good heart. Our pets give us great joy and comfort, and we love them very much. I have Charlie Beagle now, almost 9 years old, and back when we had sister beagles, Jennie and Jessie. All great, loving dogs, although Charlie is too smart and mischievous for his own good.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
No, it means you have a good heart. Our pets give us great joy and comfort, and we love them very much. I have Charlie Beagle now, almost 9 years old, and back when we had sister beagles, Jennie and Jessie. All great, loving dogs, although Charlie is too smart and mischievous for his own good.
I had sibling beagles (Mulder and Scully). These two were more like typical cats.

Also, if you let them out off a leash you'd better be prepared to chase after them as their noses took over their brains and they were off on the scent to god-knows-where! Cute and quirky, but not my favs. Taihtsat

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray

I’m on Lab #2.
First one was a yellow. Traded in my practice wife for him and we became best buds. Got remarried, had kids and had to put him down when he was 14 and my kids were 2 and 4. That was rough.
Lab # 2 is a chocolate. He’s been our family dog as my girls have grown up. He’s about 14 as well. His back legs are starting to slide out from underneath him and it feels like the end is coming soon. I need a whiskey just thinking about that.

I’m on Lab #2.
First one was a yellow. Traded in my practice wife for him and we became best buds. Got remarried, had kids and had to put him down when he was 14 and my kids were 2 and 4. That was rough.
Lab # 2 is a chocolate. He’s been our family dog as my girls have grown up. He’s about 14 as well. His back legs are starting to slide out from underneath him and it feels like the end is coming soon. I need a whiskey just thinking about that.
I (for reals) drank plenty of whiskey that day I ended his suffering. Felt a bit like I was betraying him. Thankful I knew when to stop so that I have that sad and sweet memory...

I (for reals) drank plenty of whiskey that day I ended his suffering. Felt a bit like I was betraying him. Thankful I knew when to stop so that I have that sad and sweet memory...
There are a lot of things I'll discuss here, but there's no way I'm going to relive that particular episode. My stone cold heart is only penetrated when the movies kill the dog.

uhhh... what?

I care a lot for my pets so I'm mentally deficient?

Nice take.
There was a lot weird things that happened on this website last night and chugspig had to point it out. He thought he was responding to Loyal's post instead of Kurts. That's because certain posts were flashing in and off and confusing everyone. I wasn't responding to your post, but to Loyal's post. I have to apoligize to Chugs for my reaction to what actually was a Loyal post. I'm sure you're confused as well. Meant no harm to you.

There are a lot of things I'll discuss here, but there's no way I'm going to relive that particular episode. My stone cold heart is only penetrated when the movies kill the dog.
Like Old Yeller? That one was harsh. I don't think I can ever watch it again. My current dog is 7, and I look at her every day and ask her to please outlive me because I just don't think I can take having to bury you.

John Wick - when they killed his dog.

The Road Warrior - when they killed his dog.

Like Old Yeller? That one was harsh. I don't think I can ever watch it again. My current dog is 7, and I look at her every day and ask her to please outlive me because I just don't think I can take having to bury you.

John Wick - when they killed his dog.

The Road Warrior - when they killed his dog.
Hondo. When they killed his dog. Marley & me when they put the dog down.

John wick was totally justified in killing how ever many dozens of gangsters he did.

Hondo. When they killed his dog. Marley & me when they put the dog down.

John wick was totally justified in killing how ever many dozens of gangsters he did.
John Wick was good. The gangster Dad smacked his son around after and tells him - I can't remember the exact quote - you stole his car and killed his dog. If someone killed my sweet dog on purpose I would go off the deep end. Way off.

Never saw Hondo. Marley and me, vague memory.

In general, and no offense intended, putting a dog down just does not fly with me. Should us humans be put down when we get infirm or whatever? My Dad and mom both had major dementia/Alzheimer's so should they have been put down? My bitch ex had my last dog put down. Granted it was getting incontinent and the rest, but so was my Dad.

I've told my 2 kids - if Dad ever gets that way, take him for a long walk off of a short pier. So I guess I am contradicting myself.

I had sibling beagles (Mulder and Scully). These two were more like typical cats.

Also, if you let them out off a leash you'd better be prepared to chase after them as their noses took over their brains and they were off on the scent to god-knows-where! Cute and quirky, but not my favs. Taihtsat
You are SO right! Their noses control the brain, not the other way around. Have had several examples over the years. Charlie has started digging out under the fence as he chases the darn pocket gophers that we have here. Took us 3 hours to find him the last time.

I recall driving home one day in Maple Valley in a good rainstorm. As I was coming in our 1,000' driveway through the horse pastures in front of us, I saw one of the beagles out in the pasture running around with the horses! Called her over and then picked her up all muddy, and me in my three piece suit, and put her in the truck. Go another 2-300' and there is the other one running around with nose to the ground in the meadow between the horse pasture and the trees/bushes. Hop out and grab her too. After I got everything situated I discovered that the reason they had dug out of their pen area was because some of the neighbor's cows had gotten loose and they were wandering around the dogs yard. No way they were going to allow for that, out a'digging they went. Just fortunate that they didn't get very far.

Now don't even get me started on the time and medical bills poured into those darned little mutts!

John Wick was good. The gangster Dad smacked his son around after and tells him - I can't remember the exact quote - you stole his car and killed his dog. If someone killed my sweet dog on purpose I would go off the deep end. Way off.

In general, and no offense intended, putting a dog down just does not fly with me. Should us humans be put down when we get infirm or whatever? My Dad and mom both had major dementia/Alzheimer's so should they have been put down? My bitch ex had my last dog put down. Granted it was getting incontinent and the rest, but so was my Dad.

I've told my 2 kids - if Dad ever gets that way, take him for a long walk off of a short pier. So I guess I am contradicting myself.
Mine was going out anyway. Came home one night and he was laying in the yard in a puddle of his own piss. Couldn’t stand up on his own. If I propped him up he could stand for a few seconds, then flopped down. By morning could barely lift his head. Vet said his body was just shutting down, they could dope him up and send him home, basically wait for him to starve…or they could take care of it right there. Easy decision, hard choice.

Mine was going out anyway. Came home one night and he was laying in the yard in a puddle of his own piss. Couldn’t stand up on his own. If I propped him up he could stand for a few seconds, then flopped down. By morning could barely lift his head. Vet said his body was just shutting down, they could dope him up and send him home, basically wait for him to starve…or they could take care of it right there. Easy decision, hard choice.
Shit buddy. Sounds like me last night! Just kidding of course.

But mirth aside, we had a Doctor at the local hospital - forget her title - basically the resident doctor, I called her the one woman death panel. Remember that term? Every time Dad had to come in for whatever was the problem she would basically counsel us that we should just let him die and not treat him. Frankly, I was not opposed to that - like your dog. When it's time, it's time. But my Mom, Oh gawd no. Do anything and everything to keep him going, although by that time I was the only one he recognized.

My Polst form says nothing of the sort. I need to find that damn thing or do a new one. With all the shit I take from the sex police here, I'm starting to fade. Oh wait, maybe that is the beer.

Last edited:

After witnessing my cat die a horrific and painful death from a kidney stone, 100% am on board with euthanasia as hard as it is.

Letting a dog suffer and die is cruel but nobody but the dog owner should make the decision

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT