ADVERTISEMENT

And the Rich get Richer

Well I guess that means that I will not be purchasing any Adidas products for the next ten years. Too bad, I really liked their no show golf socks.

Reactions: Coug90
Perhaps our new AD can start to enter into new contracts? i see on brand X that a naming rights for the football stadium with Darigold may be in the works. It is time for some movement in WSU athletics

UW signs huge deal with Adidas

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...gree-to-119-million-apparel-deal-with-adidas/

So does this leave a few more crumbs for the Cougs from Nike, Adidas, Champion, Underarmor?

Being completely objective, UW is a marketing boon. They are riding a wave us success in football right now, purple and gold is an extremely popular color combo, they aren't USC/ UCLA (easy to hate), the rest of the nation probably thinks of them as upstarts (freaking millennials...), Seattle is cool again... they have a lot going for them. Sh!t, I can't even be jealous because its not like its even close.

Reactions: Cougzz
UW signs huge deal with Adidas ... So does this leave a few more crumbs for the Cougs from Nike, Adidas, Champion, Underarmor?

Agreed.

Why not have WSU become the face of Under Armour in the Pacific Northwest, similar to what Nike (UO) and Adidas (UW) are doing or plan to do?

Gotta think that a lot of the same folks who help WSU lead the entire region in license plate sales will spurge for some specially branded Coug Apparel by UA.

IMO, a lot of potential here.

Perhaps our new AD can start to enter into new contracts? i see on brand X that a naming rights for the football stadium with Darigold may be in the works. It is time for some movement in WSU athletics

I expect you Brand X loyalists to scurry over here with the goods on that article.

In the meantime, I googled OUR Nike deal and found a 2016 Brand Y article. Per that article, WSU gets 2.2 million/year from Nike. Through 2024-2025! And the deal would have expired in 16-17 but Moos signed an extension in 2015. Ouch.

Oh and isn't CML buddies with the Under Armour guy? However, if we can't do anything for 7 years......

I see on brand X that a naming rights for the football stadium with Darigold may be in the works.

I think one of the board moderators asked that any mentions of Brand X be discontinued on this site.

Just a FWIW

I googled OUR Nike deal and found a 2016 Brand Y article. Per that article, WSU gets 2.2 million/year from Nike. Through 2024-2025! And the deal would have expired in 16-17 but Moos signed an extension in 2015. Ouch.

Is there any contract extension BM didn't agree to during his return to Pullman?

Agreed.

Why not have WSU become the face of Under Armour in the Pacific Northwest, similar to what Nike (UO) and Adidas (UW) are doing or plan to do?

Gotta think that a lot of the same folks who help WSU lead the entire region in license plate sales will spurge for some specially branded Coug Apparel by UA.

IMO, a lot of potential here.

It's about what the shoe companies are willing to pay and the brand exposure WSU can provide.

It's about what the shoe companies are willing to pay and the brand exposure WSU can provide.

Under Armour's stock has decreased from about $47 to $10 (now about $14.50) in less than two years. I don't think paying WSU a lot of money for an apparel deal is likely to be near the top of its list for uses of its cash.

Not sure I like the title of this, as the premise of the rich getting richer for no purpose or for no value. As Dgibbons points out, there is legit marketing reasons for the disparity.

But to go to the Darigold murmurs... First off, shall we start up the Cow U. jokes now or later?:D

But in all seriousness, I'll be very interested to see what Darigold will dish out. First off, they are the 5th largest dairy Coop in the nation. They are also one of the largest privately held companies based in Washington State. They are nothing to sneeze at. So it'll be interesting to see the final outcome on this front. We can all be confident that it won't be the same as Alaska Airlines for UW but we shall see what they bring to the table.

Funny though. We have a dairy "company" on campus (Ferdinands) already. Kind of a conflict of interest?o_O

Not sure I like the title of this, as the premise of the rich getting richer for no purpose or for no value. As Dgibbons points out, there is legit marketing reasons for the disparity.

But to go to the Darigold murmurs... First off, shall we start up the Cow U. jokes now or later?:D

But in all seriousness, I'll be very interested to see what Darigold will dish out. First off, they are the 5th largest dairy Coop in the nation. They are also one of the largest privately held companies based in Washington State. They are nothing to sneeze at. So it'll be interesting to see the final outcome on this front. We can all be confident that it won't be the same as Alaska Airlines for UW but we shall see what they bring to the table.

Funny though. We have a dairy "company" on campus (Ferdinands) already. Kind of a conflict of interest?o_O

You make a good point in that people tend to think that only the companies that are splashed across our televisions have money worth pursuing. The food industy is insanely wealthy, profitable, and stable. Several other names I wouldn't mind seeing thrown into the discussion: Lamb Weston, ConAgra, Simplot, Tyson Foods/ IBP, Kraft/ Heinz (Ore/Ida) to name a few.

Under Armour's stock has decreased from about $47 to $10 (now about $14.50) in less than two years. I don't think paying WSU a lot of money for an apparel deal is likely to be near the top of its list for uses of its cash.

Well, maybe by the time the current extension agreed to by BM runs out at the turn of this century, UA's stock price will have rebounded nicely :)

You make a good point in that people tend to think that only the companies that are splashed across our televisions have money worth pursuing. The food industy is insanely wealthy, profitable, and stable. Several other names I wouldn't mind seeing thrown into the discussion: Lamb Weston, ConAgra, Simplot, Tyson Foods/ IBP, Kraft/ Heinz (Ore/Ida) to name a few.
Reser Stadium ring a bell?

I'll be very interested to see what Darigold will dish out ... We can all be confident that it won't be the same as Alaska Airlines for UW but we shall see what they bring to the table.

Maybe, maybe not.

This deal, when it becomes final, could surprise in a good way.

Didn't OSU make a killing off the potato salad folks? A lot of people can't stand potato salad, myself included.

To compare, who (besides the lactose intolerant) goes even one day without consuming milk, butter, ice cream, eggs, etc?

Like Coug95 says, Darigold is a large company with some deep pockets in a state where dairy has always been big business.

I think one of the board moderators asked that any mentions of Brand X be discontinued on this site.

Just a FWIW

I saw no such thing, although direct links to articles are definitely a no-no. Are you sure that your buddies over there at X didn't send out a doctrine not to bring their news over here? Kinda like having 2 girlfriends, eh Chop? What did you say to which one, and which one said what to you? ;)

That said, I haven't seen any other news blurbs on the Darigold thing. I'm sort of curious as to how, who and why it got leaked. Does Charlie Chun have loose lips?

I saw no such thing, although direct links to articles are definitely a no-no. Are you sure that your buddies over there at X didn't send out a doctrine not to bring their news over here? Kinda like having 2 girlfriends, eh Chop? What did you say to which one, and which one said what to you? ;)

That said, I haven't seen any other news blurbs on the Darigold thing. I'm sort of curious as to how, who and why it got leaked. Does Charlie Chun have loose lips?

Not sure about the Darigold thing, but I saw the Fusky thing on the front page of Reddit.

\ Don't be udderly ridiculous! I'm glad to see WSU make a moo-ve towards sponsorship. They should milk the opportunity for all it's worth.

Don't be udderly ridiculous! I'm glad to see WSU make a moo-ve towards sponsorship. They should milk the opportunity for all it's worth. Butter late than never.

Glad Cougar

UW signs huge deal with Adidas

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...gree-to-119-million-apparel-deal-with-adidas/

So does this leave a few more crumbs for the Cougs from Nike, Adidas, Champion, Underarmor?
A Few reactions

1. Yes the rich do certainly get richer
2. Football recruits don’t like adidas like they do Nike BUT Adidas has already been involved in these payments to recruits for attending Adidas schools. This is right up UWs historical alley.
3. Purple is still purple no matter what logo you slap on it. They should be wearing gear from Barbie.

Nothing runs like a Deere... or hunts like a Coug!!!

Reactions: PatBaum

Was expecting Jim Walden to make the first reference to the AD's ethnicity.

Reactions: SilverStateCoug
Was expecting Jim Walden to make the first reference to the AD's ethnicity.

Hmm. Is calling him "Charlie Chun" racially insensitive? Guess I don't/didn't see it that way.

Per Wikipedia, "Readers and movie-goers of white America greeted (Charlie) Chan warmly, seeing him as an attractive character who is portrayed as intelligent, heroic, benevolent and honorable". Wish someone around here would say all that about me. :confused:

The new AD will be judged on what he accomplishes and not on references to his race. I know zero about Darigold,but the new AD sounds like he is already trying to revive corporate interest. Bill M was unable to do that in his tenure here.

Please.... you're just trying to churn up some attention with those puns...

Enough with the cheesy jokes! I can't agree that a deal with Darigold would be an udder disaster. Seems to me that we've been the funding hind teat for too long, and this is an opportunity to exploit our "Moo U" heritage.

Enough with the cheesy jokes! I can't agree that a deal with Darigold would be an udder disaster. Seems to me that we've been the funding hind teat for too long, and this is an opportunity to exploit our "Moo U" heritage.
You’re really milking this for all it’s worth

Being completely objective, UW is a marketing boon. They are riding a wave us success in football right now, purple and gold is an extremely popular color combo if you are a smurf or oompa loompa, or your name is Barney, they aren't USC/ UCLA (easy to hate), the rest of the nation probably thinks of them as upstarts (freaking millennials...), Seattle is cool again... they have a lot going for them. Sh!t, I can't even be jealous because its not like its even close.

Fixed your post. :p

That done, I hate Nike and hate seeing it on our uni's. The only piece of Nike gear I own is a WSU jacket someone gave me. I'm jealous of the mutts. Wish we could get out from under the Nike yoke. As mentioned, in 2025 (thanks Bill).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT