ADVERTISEMENT

UW AD leaves after 6 months on the job.

roses04

Hall Of Fame
Oct 4, 2003
All the Red on the balance sheet might have been an issue.

Here is this morning's update.

Six months after Troy Dannen arrived to be Washington’s 16th director of athletics, the Huskies are back on the search for someone to lead the UW athletic department.

Dannen, who was announced as UW’s new AD to replace the outgoing Jen Cohen on Oct. 7, has left Montlake to take the same job at Nebraska, a UW spokesperson confirmed to The Seattle Times. UW declined to immediately comment on the departure.

Dannen is finalizing a six-year contract with the Cornhuskers according to ESPN’s Pete Thamel.

During his short tenure at Washington, Dannen oversaw Washington’s run to the College Football Playoff championship game, the hiring of football coach Jedd Fisch to replace Kalen DeBoer, and the firing of men’s basketball coach Mike Hopkins.

“I am so honored to have the opportunity to serve the University of Washington, our students, coaches, staff, faculty and incredible fans,” Dannen said in a press release announcing his hiring in October. “Throughout this process, the passion, love and spirit of the UW was evident in every conversation, as was the alignment necessary for comprehensive success. We will compete for championships, and we will provide an unmatched experience for our student-athletes.

“The future has never been brighter for Husky Athletics, and I am humbled to steward the next chapter in our storied history.”

Maybe Chun gets the nod.
I thought about that....but Chun loves the COUG culture, and can't fathom him changing his heart and passion to Purple and Gold. Another school, yes, but I just can't see him selling and wearing Purple and Gold.

Although, money talks and you get the BiG10.

I thought about that....but Chun loves the COUG culture, and can't fathom him changing his heart and passion to Purple and Gold. Another school, yes, but I just can't see him selling and wearing Purple and Gold.

Although, money talks and you get the BiG10.
Bill Moos was at Oregon.

Money talks.

There are issues at the UW that many aren't aware of. Sure they'll get another AD, I just think many good ones will pass and not make the make the leap. The most obvious issues is the UW will be receiving 30 million per year in the Big 10 for the next 5 years, while everyone but Oregon, who is also at 30, will be receiving 50-60 million a year. On a major league level the only comparison that comes close is the Oakland A's revenue versus the rest of MLB. NFL has revenue sharing, imagine what would happen to your franchise if your salary cap was 50% less than everyone else. There are challenges at the UW, Jen Cohen didn't leave just because of sunshine and more money at USC. There are major money issues at the UW, sure they have money, but do they have enough to compete when others have much more?

Reactions: COUGinNCW
There are issues at the UW that many aren't aware of. Sure they'll get another AD, I just think many good ones will pass and not make the make the leap. The most obvious issues is the UW will be receiving 30 million per year in the Big 10 for the next 5 years, while everyone but Oregon, who is also at 30, will be receiving 50-60 million a year. On a major league level the only comparison that comes close is the Oakland A's revenue versus the rest of MLB. NFL has revenue sharing, imagine what would happen to your franchise if your salary cap was 50% less than everyone else. There are challenges at the UW, Jen Cohen didn't leave just because of sunshine and more money at USC. There are major money issues at the UW, sure they have money, but do they have enough to compete when others have much more?
Yep. uw agreed to split the check on the first date. Assuming the B1G will still be around, and that uw would be a part of were significant gambles by uw's leadership.

But, I'm sure moondawgie will float the athletic department....

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I have husky acquaintances texting me this shit now to spare themselves the embarrassment of me bringing it up first. Speaking of where’s MoonDouchey at today?

UW is a dumpster fire and I’m loving every minute of it.

If you think about it....

Brand new head football coach
Head basketball coach fired
New AD bolts

and....the vast majority of people who have moved here into King County over the past 7 years, could care less about College Football, and I mean they truly could care less. They certainly don't watch it. 100%.

Jen Cohen was a part of the coven that destroyed the PAC. Unfortunately, she left her fellow witch, Ana Mari Cauce, in a failing situation. I guess there is no loyalty among witches.

I have husky acquaintances texting me this shit now to spare themselves the embarrassment of me bringing it up first. Speaking of where’s MoonDouchey at today?

UW is a dumpster fire and I’m loving every minute of it.
I have several UW work acquaintances in the Tyee Club, and none of them have a positive outlook on the situation. Internet trolling isn't representative of the skin in the game fanbase at UW. It's not going to be the same for any of the NW programs moving forward.

Hell, for an extra $500,000 per year, I’d move back into my parents basement if they were still alive.

Mom, meatloaf!!!
How good was her meatloaf? My mom burned the crap out if it and almost lost my teeth .

Rumor is Dannen was at a golf alumni event in Palm Springs, and excused himself to take a call and never came back. Left three big donors on the fifteenth hole.

Arf, arf Moondawgie.
But he flew back to Seattle on a private jet after being announced he was the AD for Nebraska .

Just need a twitter/x message "respect my decision"

If you think about it....

Brand new head football coach
Head basketball coach fired
New AD bolts

and....the vast majority of people who have moved here into King County over the past 7 years, could care less about College Football, and I mean they truly could care less. They certainly don't watch it. 100%.
That scenario is everywhere . You had two high profile coaches step down and say the situation is broken .

UW will become Nebraska after leaving the Big 8. I didnt realize how short they will be in cash for the next five years . Bad bad move .

Last edited:
But he flew back to Seattle on a private jet after being announced he was the AD for Nebraska .

Just need a twitter/x message "respect my decision"
Ed, I just about spit my coffee. Made me laugh. Thanks!

That acenario is everywhere . You had two high profile coaches step down and say the situation is broken .

UW will become Nebraska after leaving the Big 8. I didnt realize how short they will be in cash for the next five years . Bad bad move .
It makes the decision to fire Hopkins even more funny. Paying him to go away was a poor decision.

Reactions: Coug90
Rumor is Dannen was at a golf alumni event in Palm Springs, and excused himself to take a call and never came back. Left three big donors on the fifteenth hole.

Arf, arf Moondawgie.
Not sure if you're referring to the Canzano story, but his info is usually more than a rumor. Not always, but usually.

I mean honestly he was the perfect amount of douchebag for Seattle, shame he left.

Reactions: 425cougfan
This the story going around, this sounds better every time I hear about it:

Washington was hosting a booster fundraiser in Palm Springs(?) yesterday. Dannen was running the event as AD and in a foursome with three of the Dawgs biggest donors to the NIL and Troy spent the day talking about how broke the Washington athletic program was.

Then on the 15th hole Troy excused himself to take a phone call and never came back. The three donors were told when they got back to the clubhouse that ** he had quit** and had already left the resort

This the story going around, this sounds better every time I hear about it:

Washington was hosting a booster fundraiser in Palm Springs(?) yesterday. Dannen was running the event as AD and in a foursome with three of the Dawgs biggest donors to the NIL and Troy spent the day talking about how broke the Washington athletic program was.

Then on the 15th hole Troy excused himself to take a phone call and never came back. The three donors were told when they got back to the clubhouse that ** he had quit** and had already left the resort
This story is approaching meme status.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT