ADVERTISEMENT

Another official visitor...

Maybe four as Jackie Davis is taking his official this weekend as well. Non-premium

If they have three new commits,they will all get scholarships in my opinion. A couple of the current players would be asked to seek playing time elsewhere. The coug roster last year was probably the weakest in the conference.

Boese would probably be the only scholarship guy left who I would even consider getting rid of and it would have to be a pretty recruit for me to do that at this point

There are others but fans here need to think with their heads .There are players who will probably never see the court as Kent continues to bring in better talent. These guys will enjoy playing at a smaller school and enjoy their college basketball experience.The former coach recruited players and gave then false hopes that they are capable of playing D 1 basketball

I think you might see a little more next year after Kent has a full year to recruit. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to save a scholarship for next year.

Originally posted by 7ICoug:
Maybe four as Jackie Davis is taking his official this weekend as well. Non-premium
Yeah. Jackie Davis, Ahmaad Rorie, Ny Redding and another prospect, which is reported above.

Originally posted by jourdand:
I think you might see a little more next year after Kent has a full year to recruit. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to save a scholarship for next year.
I've been thinking they should save one for next season, too. That is, of course, if they can't get one of their guys that's high up on their board. The pickings are slim, though.

Why ? Next year there should be 4-5 scholarships available. The graduating seniors and the players who are mot D 1 caliber players will transfer seeking playing time elsewhere.It will only take two years to right the recruiting failures of the last five years.Kent will bring in some big men and swing forwards next year.The excitement is slowly building for next year. What a refreshing change.

This post was edited on 5/9 6:41 AM by ElComanche

Originally posted by ElComanche:
Why ? Next year there should be 4-5 scholarships available. The graduating seniors and the players who are mot D 1 caliber players will transfer seeking playing time elsewhere.It will only take two years to right the recruiting failures of the last five years.Kent will bring in some big men and swing forwards next year.The excitement is slowly building for next year. What a refreshing change.

This post was edited on 5/9 6:41 AM by ElComanche
Why? Because this team isn't going to be competing for any postseason tournaments next year and unless you're getting Rorie, the caliber of player that's coming into the program is, quite honestly, not at a level that is going to provide legitimate success down the road. My idea -- and this isn't going to be the case -- just put enough players on the floor to have a solid rotation (which they'll have with three players) and save one scholarship for next season on a player you've been able to recruit for a year rather than take a flyer on, say, a 5-foot-7 guard, who is going to redshirt anyways.

I'd rather have 5-6 scholarships available to use with a year of recruiting than add an extra guard that no one wanted in the 2014 class, basically. You can spin it any way you want, but the majority of the guys left in the 2014 class are fringe Pac-12 players, at best, with the exception of Rorie.

This post was edited on 5/9 7:31 AM by Britton Ransford

Originally posted by Britton Ransford:
Washington State will have another official visitor on campus this weekend, a source tells WazzuWatch.com.

($$) Link: https://washingtonstate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1417&tid=200843161&mid=200843161&sid=1089&style=2

Not a premium subscriber? I'm offering 30-days for FREE by using promo code WAZZU30 on the front page banner.
This visit is next Friday, NOT today. WSU will now have just three visitors on campus today. My bad for passing along bad information, as I misheard my source.

This post was edited on 5/9 8:15 AM by Britton Ransford

I think this team will compete this year.

I want Ernie to sign every kid he can now. Let 'em all compete, grow and develop for a full year... then run enough to free up 5 slots for next year.

Re: recruiting

Good points, but, there are always players that are available. There are several Top 150's that are still around. Players like Andre Adams for example. Not that his AAU coach is going to recommend WSU after all that happened to Royce Woolridge but you never know for sure.

Ernie has the experience and the contacts with the current staff to know who can play.

This team needs a couple of ball handlers. Thus Ernie has 3 of them on campus today and this weekend. It also needs a coach who lets players play ball.

What has happened to Royce Woolridge, exactly... that didn't happen to X Thames? in that they came... they played... they saw... and wanted to try a different venue with a great experienced coach in a different setting?

Woolridge gets a healed body with a fresh team in a new setting to develop his skills.

If the players visiting this weekend commit ,look for Chauca to cancel his visit.I would take both of them over Chauca There are a few quality big men availiable like the afore mentioned Adams and Diallo.There are some jucos still available also.

So Brittain Ransford has already counted the cougs out of post season play next year? Never say never. IF Kent recruits frosh and plays them them they will gain experience and will be bolstered by incoming frosh for the next year. It is senseless to play experienced players next year or retain them on a roster which probably consists of about 5 D1 caliber players. If no post season tournament,then recruit players and give them experience for the following year. Kent needs to build hope on his team.If another juco big man can be found,i would not count the cougs out of a possible NIT bid. I also do not think that Nye is a fringe type of player. He is a legitimate D 1 player with skills and scoring ability.As stated elsewhere there are some good frosh and jucos still left on the board.

This post was edited on 5/9 7:16 PM by ElComanche

I used to think along those lines as well but most coaches prefer to have all slots filled especially in the environment today. It's pretty rare there isn't attrition every year so you save 1 for next year to go to 4 available. Then say 2 players decide or are asked to leave and you end up with 6 to manage and potentially lack of class balance.

Filling the spots also creates competition and urgency for the entire roster. I don't think that's a bad thing either. Kent is in year 1 so the more players he signs this year the better they will probably sell the program to next years visitors. They are already behind for next year because most kids sign in the fall so really they have 6 months when other programs have been recruiting next years class for 2, 3, or even 4 years.

As I think 7I posted this is where Kent's contacts really come into play. He's been away but he and his staff are well known. I think Kent has a good feel for what needs to take place from what he has commented. Hopefully he can get it done.

i would guess that both Rorie and Nye commit after this weekend .Kent's age may actually be a big plus in this regard.. His history of graduating players and his age set him up as a father figure who relates well to young men. If i were a parent of a recruit ,i would want my son to go with a coach who has a history of players graduating at a high rate.I have never met a basketball player who underestimates their ability.The reality soon sets in that they will not all be D 1 caliber players or NBA players. So a college education will be of value to these guys.

Originally posted by SaveFerris:
I used to think along those lines as well but most coaches prefer to have all slots filled especially in the environment today. It's pretty rare there isn't attrition every year so you save 1 for next year to go to 4 available. Then say 2 players decide or are asked to leave and you end up with 6 to manage and potentially lack of class balance.

Filling the spots also creates competition and urgency for the entire roster. I don't think that's a bad thing either. Kent is in year 1 so the more players he signs this year the better they will probably sell the program to next years visitors. They are already behind for next year because most kids sign in the fall so really they have 6 months when other programs have been recruiting next years class for 2, 3, or even 4 years.

As I think 7I posted this is where Kent's contacts really come into play. He's been away but he and his staff are well known. I think Kent has a good feel for what needs to take place from what he has commented. Hopefully he can get it done.
I agree Save. Competition is going to make every player better. Having to practice against better players is going to make the starters better. If after next season, he needs another scholarship, Kent will find a way to make another come available.

Well, ComanShe- you've stated many a times the Cougs would fail. As Halliday will NEVER lead this team to a bowl game. So all your bravado about Kent, while a nice change from your usual vitriol and bashing is so thin it's transparent. I just wish you didn't enjoy seeing you words in print. Like the guy who loves to hear himself talk. Self importance, Ahoy!

Well upside down,i would guess that you do not enjoy seeing my words in print Tough stuff. I enjoy seeing some excitement on this board concerning basketball. If you want to talk football go there my little minded friend. Your attempt to dampen the enthusiasm for Kent is seen naught but an attempt to compensate for the loss of your departed coach, Live and deal with it my little minded friend.I have forgotten more about basketball then you will ever know about basketball. Now a return to the positive as you are now forgotten

Not exactly. Thames didn't break bones in his wrist and they didn't even X-ray it for quite a few games. He was because of coaching decisions told "not to shoot" but to pass to Motum and Lacy.

Frankly they killed his ability which was attacking the basket. He was a SG forced to be a pass only PG which he sort of worked into until injured.

But you will note that he never complained and just moved along when he graduated.

Thames was named MWC player of the Year. SDSU did well this year and advanced in the Big Dance. He stands a good chance of being drafted this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT