ADVERTISEMENT

Another thought about Hilinski...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Much is being made about Trey Tinsley outshining Hilinski in the spring game, but in fairness to Tyler, nearly all of the so-called sacks called when a defender breathed on him would have been great QB runs that would have moved the chains and forced defenses to be honest in a real game. Those defenders dropping 8-9 yards back to clog the passing lanes suddenly have something to consider. Forcing them forward would make the Air Raid more effective.
I'm not saying Tinsley doesn't have running ability; he's more agile than Falk, and he has a good arm. And it's great knowing we have another viable option at quarterback. It wasn't long ago the naysayers frothed at the mouth over Leach not having enough QBs.
Back to Hilinski: a dual-threat QB could do wonders for the Air Raid.

Yup, a dual threat QB who's good at both is like 12 on 11. And there's a lot of teams out there who've figured out it's easier to put points on the board, especially in the red zone, when it's 12 on 11.

Leach will (figuratively) beat the dual out of these alleged dual quarterbacks by the time they see the field in any substantial role. Air Raid, not Dual Raid.

The one "knock" I have on Hilinski (and you saw this in HS) is he likes to scramble and get yards...he seems kind of impatient. Yes they were playing tag football on the QB, but is Hilinski getting 4 to 5 yards on scrambling (and getting hit) when he might have had an option down the field or in his check down to the RB.

I am not a QB guru, but I wonder if the coaches want him to stay in the pocket a little longer and let a play develop. I personally think Leach would prefer the QB to keep his eyes down the field and make the throw. I did see Tinsley doing this and making relatively quick decisions and would use his check down pretty effectively.

I like the position we are in having some depth and options at QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT