ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona St has Interesting QB situation

WASH ST A&M FAN

Head Coach
Sep 4, 2002
Former 5* and Alabama Transfer quarterback Blake Barnett is immediately eligible to play per an appeal ruling from the NCAA.

However, The Sun Devils signed local Chandler, Az (Basha High) 4* Ryan Kelly this week. Kelly is Top 10 rated QB & was committed to Oregon last Spring until Scott Frost left the program.

Irony, both are built similar (6'5 190lbs) and told local newspapers they picked ASU due to QB Guru Chip Lindsay on staff. However, 2 weeks before signing day, Lindsay bolted for Auburn.

In what will be a job saving year, Todd Graham has two stud Pro Style QB's for what historically been a dual threat style offense. Shades of what Oregon attempted to do last year & gravitate to a open pass happy Air Raid'ish offense to save jobs. It's Not that easy Todd, ask Helfrich.....

Last edited:
They now have at least 6 scholarship QB's until someone transfers which I am sure will happen.

I think Graham will have an all out competition thru fall camp . Doubt they can go with a real Air Raid offense, and I think it would go against the grain for Graham. I could see them going to an Chip Kelley type Spread. They have some very good running backs, but will be weak and thin in the OLine. So an Oregon type offense could work.

I don't think they will be very good next season because of OLine issues, but they do have some skill position and Defensive talent.

Agreed that the oline will be an issue and potentially make it difficult to keep qb's healthy (especially with their lack of mobility). All in all, their qb depth is still a good problem to have.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT