ADVERTISEMENT

Baynes, Celtics go 3-0

Bayneses' work ethic to get where he is in the NBA is admirable, but I still view him as a prime example of the solidity of the Bennet's defensive focus and what it can do for a player's development. For that matter, I think the Celtics under their wunderkind coach are using defense as a cornerstone to their success. Baynes and his skillset is a perfect fit in Boston.

Last edited:
Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Baynes is a smart guy playing for a smart coach. They both know how to take advantage of his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

Baynse's work ethic to get where he is in the NBA is admirable, but I still view him as a prime example of the solidity of the Bennet's defensive focus and what it can do for a player's development. For that matter, I think the Celtics under their wunderkind coach are using defense as a cornerstone to their success. Baynse and his skillset is a perfect fit in Boston.

This. In an era when defense is seemingly a lost art at the "I'm gonna be a pro" high school/college level star players, a good D foundation is what differentiates a borderline kid. IMHO, Baynes was borderline NBA, but the D focus (along with the related rebounding/body position skills) and work ethic are what has differentiated him. It certainly was not raw talent. Many with much more raw talent end up being part of the unending stream of kids who did not realize their potential.

This. In an era when defense is seemingly a lost art at the "I'm gonna be a pro" high school/college level star players, a good D foundation is what differentiates a borderline kid. IMHO, Baynes was borderline NBA, but the D focus (along with the related rebounding/body position skills) and work ethic are what has differentiated him. It certainly was not raw talent. Many with much more raw talent end up being part of the unending stream of kids who did not realize their potential.

Appreciate all the nice comments but I am pretty sure it is just the man bun that got him there.

If you watched the actual game, Baynesie did a good, if not great job on the so-called unstoppable Joel Embiid. Multiple defensive stops and rebounds. On Baynes' 2 dunks, Embiid was nowhere to be found. Yet ESPN and whoever have nothing but this replay of a not-that-spectacular Embiid dunk, where Baynes and the rest of the Celtics were backpedaling in the key and Baynes was man enough to at least contest a gimme basket. How about showing all the times Baynes stopped him cold? Or maybe focus on the final score? Or Embiid's 10-26 shooting? (FYI, that is not good).

Appreciate all the nice comments but I am pretty sure it is just the man bun that got him there.

If you watched the actual game, Baynesie did a good, if not great job on the so-called unstoppable Joel Embiid. Multiple defensive stops and rebounds. On Baynes' 2 dunks, Embiid was nowhere to be found. Yet ESPN and whoever have nothing but this replay of a not-that-spectacular Embiid dunk, where Baynes and the rest of the Celtics were backpedaling in the key and Baynes was man enough to at least contest a gimme basket. How about showing all the times Baynes stopped him cold? Or maybe focus on the final score? Or Embiid's 10-26 shooting? (FYI, that is not good).

The infatuation with "stars" is my big criticism of the NBA and ESPN. I think some people hate on ESPN too much, but they had a post overnight showing two dunks over Baynes by two different "star" players saying, "Who did it better?", implying that Baynes only value in the league is to get posterized by better players, completely ignoring that Baynes actually shuts down at least 2/3rds of the shot attempts that he challenges, even against the "stars" of the league. He's getting paid over $5 million per year to take those hits.

Its not so much being infatuated with stars as being infatuated with offense. Some deep bench warmer goes off for 30 and he gets the highlight reel treatment too

The infatuation with "stars" is my big criticism of the NBA and ESPN. I think some people hate on ESPN too much, but they had a post overnight showing two dunks over Baynes by two different "star" players saying, "Who did it better?", implying that Baynes only value in the league is to get posterized by better players, completely ignoring that Baynes actually shuts down at least 2/3rds of the shot attempts that he challenges, even against the "stars" of the league. He's getting paid over $5 million per year to take those hits.

Actually, Baynes only makes $4.3 million on a one year contract.......

Speaking of highlight reels...when was the last time you saw a highlight reel of the best group of charging fouls drawn by guys who could play defense?

Contrary to the common cliches, offense wins championships. That doesnt mean bad defense wont lose championships.

Tony Bennett is probably the best defensive coach in the country. He has trouble going deep in the tournament because there is a law of diminishing returns with defense. At some point the very disruption that takes the opponents out of their rythem has an impact on your own offense. Come up against a great offense that is willing to play tough D and the offense will prevail more often than not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT