ADVERTISEMENT

Beasley's Future

Good gracious, there's a damn political talk thread. Jump in there if you want to continue.
Well...that moron Inslee just appointed a public defender who specialized in defending sexual predators to a judgeship in Spokane.

The next Civil War can't come soon enough...

Well...that moron Inslee just appointed a public defender who specialized in defending sexual predators to a judgeship in Spokane.

The next Civil War can't come soon enough...
I don't give a shit about your politics. Go bugger off to the political thread and talk about it there.

The budget rules all, but I would bulldoze it and recreate the entire structure while giving thought to football tailgating as well. Shrink the arena to 6,000 fans, level the parking lot, and increase the number of tailgating spots that you can sell at a premium.

The budget rules all, but I would bulldoze it and recreate the entire structure while giving thought to football tailgating as well. Shrink the arena to 6,000 fans, level the parking lot, and increase the number of tailgating spots that you can sell at a premium.
Sorry but no, this makes no sense. Why?

Beasley is used for all kinds of things beyond basketball. Graduations (packed) M and D's weekend and other concerts, other arts things, even monster truck events. You eliminate a lot of that by bulldozing and shrinking it. It is, actually, "Beasley Performing Arts Coliseum".

When the Cougs have been good in basketball, Beasley has filled up and rocked. I've seen it since the Raveling days. Do we carve out some concrete and put in a luxury section? Sure and it can be done. I've been in the bowels of Beasley - a smart Coug architect and engineer could do wonders at the cost of less than a thousand seats.

6,000 seats sounds like Gonzaga. Well guess what - BB is their entire existence. A BB team with a "university" attached. We are a bit bigger than that.

And premium tailgating spots for 6 games a year? Sounds like fun, but hardly a multimillion business model. C'mon.

6,000 seats sounds like Gonzaga. Well guess what - BB is their entire existence. A BB team with a "university" attached. We are a bit bigger than that.
I completely disagree with the concept of a massive arena for most collegiate basketball programs, particularly ours. I've been more bigtime hoops arena's than I can count, and the very best environments are in the smaller venues. Trust me, bigger is not better. For every wild 10-12K fan games WSU will have, they'll have 1,000 games from 0-6,000 fans. Where it's really felt are the games where you only draw 3-4K fans. At the smaller venues, it can still be raucous place to play. At Beasely, if feels like a morgue, or a Fine Arts Center.

What I think we should consider is a Beasley teardown/remodel to preserve a large-scale fine arts, concert / big venue sport venue, AND a brand spanking new basketball arena. You make the basketball arena small (intimate) and upscale. You build it as close to campus as you can to attract as many students as you can, and you go heavy on amenities. Great seats (I mean, you focus hard on ensuring that every seat offers great viewing), a great video board, an awesome sound system, ample restrooms, modern snack bar, etc. Keep the seating at 5-7K and create a game experience that's like a freaking party.

If I were in charge of these decisions, I would capitalize on the availability of land in Pullman and not make this an either/or decision between a basketball area and a fine arts building. We need to FINALLY commit to the basketball program and invest in a basketball only facility. Our P12 conference stability right now is teetering, but it doesn't matter where we end up, the basketball program is going to compete in a strong conference with NCAA bids on the line.

Your decision to go big gives WSU the opportunity to cheap out again. They'll end up remodeling or rebuilding Beasley and our basketball program will continue playing in front of 4K fans in a 12K seat venue.

I completely disagree with the concept of a massive arena for most collegiate basketball programs, particularly ours. I've been more bigtime hoops arena's than I can count, and the very best environments are in the smaller venues. Trust me, bigger is not better. For every wild 10-12K fan games WSU will have, they'll have 1,000 games from 0-6,000 fans. Where it's really felt are the games where you only draw 3-4K fans. At the smaller venues, it can still be raucous place to play. At Beasely, if feels like a morgue, or a Fine Arts Center.

What I think we should consider is a Beasley teardown/remodel to preserve a large-scale fine arts, concert / big venue sport venue, AND a brand spanking new basketball arena. You make the basketball arena small (intimate) and upscale. You build it as close to campus as you can to attract as many students as you can, and you go heavy on amenities. Great seats (I mean, you focus hard on ensuring that every seat offers great viewing), a great video board, an awesome sound system, ample restrooms, modern snack bar, etc. Keep the seating at 5-7K and create a game experience that's like a freaking party.

If I were in charge of these decisions, I would capitalize on the availability of land in Pullman and not make this an either/or decision between a basketball area and a fine arts building. We need to FINALLY commit to the basketball program and invest in a basketball only facility. Our P12 conference stability right now is teetering, but it doesn't matter where we end up, the basketball program is going to compete in a strong conference with NCAA bids on the line.

Your decision to go big gives WSU the opportunity to cheap out again. They'll end up remodeling or rebuilding Beasley and our basketball program will continue playing in front of 4K fans in a 12K seat venue.

Ok, so now it is tear down Beasley and build a NEW big time arts, etc facility, AND build a new runt-sized BB facility (smaller than UI's) out in that cheap farmland. Why not just play over there?

Good lord my fellow Coug, you know nothing about the logistics, etc of Coug BB. A great party atmosphere in January in Pullman is not going to fill the place, unless we are WINNING, in which case we can get 10K plus in there.

But whatever - your $2-300 million dream sounds good. Put it up there with the 200 million to build a freeway from Spokane to Pullman for 6 FB games a year. And don't forget the bullet train from Seattle.

"Dear Mackenzie Scott..."

Ok, so now it is tear down Beasley and build a NEW big time arts, etc facility, AND build a new runt-sized BB facility (smaller than UI's) out in that cheap farmland. Why not just play over there?

Good lord my fellow Coug, you know nothing about the logistics, etc of Coug BB. A great party atmosphere in January in Pullman is not going to fill the place, unless we are WINNING, in which case we can get 10K plus in there.

But whatever - your $2-300 million dream sounds good. Put it up there with the 200 million to build a freeway from Spokane to Pullman for 6 FB games a year. And don't forget the bullet train from Seattle.

"Dear Mackenzie Scott..."
I'm not going to argue about this. If I were in charge of these decisions, our basketball program and gameday experience would be better in every way.

Put the Beasley remodel on hold and give the basketball program their own facility. Get it done.

Unlike you, I'm Coug to the core. I don't root against WSU. So I hope Rolo loses, gets hit with sanctions and attorney fees. WSU was very good to him, agreed to pay him millions. He was asked to stop embarrassing himself and the school, to send a messenger of science over conspiracy, he refused. F him and the horse he rode in on.

FYI, approximately 5,000,000 people were hospitalized in the USA due to COVID. Yeah, most of them old, fat and in poor health to begin with, and the vax was crap in preventing transmission, but if trying, emphasis of "trying," to save lives ain't a reason for a vaccine, what is? It was never about "your risk" or the risk of the fortunate, it was about trying to protect those at risk, even when those efforts proved largely ineffective and misguided.

Rolo had ultimate freedom on this, the freedom to choose Jab vs. Job. He just wanted to have the cake and eat it too. It is like the return to the work place calls, you either return or you get canned. What right do they have to make someone return to the work place? Jab and being compelled to work at a time and place against your will are both highly invasive attacks on "personal rights." The problem with this analysis is 99% are "at will" employees, and they don't have the right to a job, it is a privilege.

As for the proven downside, what is that exactly? A very small number having adverse reactions? I haven't seen a report of significant adverse effects.

Now you have:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT