ADVERTISEMENT

Beavers new coach announced

Saw it reported that Oregon State interviewed some other pretty solid names like Paul Chryst and Brennan (from SJSU), too.

From my limited knowledge of the situation, in OSU's position I can understand the choice for HC. OSU should know what his role was under Smith and how he filled it. Coordinators come in two flavors: not the right skill set to manage a program, and a skill set that appears able to manage a program (but that is always "yet to be proven"). Most HC's were previously coordinators. Every one of them is a risk when promoted to HC, because it is very possible to succeed at the OC or DC level and not be suited to running the program. In some cases that is obvious, but not most of the time. Bray may have the necessary skills. If so, he will probably need a couple of years to fully (or mostly) develop them...that is to be expected.

I wish them well with their selection. Time will tell.

Interesting. I'm not a big fan of promoting long-time assistant coaches.
However he will be cheap, just how cheap we will find out! Right now, the Beavs aren't in a position to conduct a competitive national search. But they do get now hire a coach with a salary commensurate with expected future revenues. We are, on the other hand, paying for a coach based on projected revenues we will never attain.

However he will be cheap, just how cheap we will find out! Right now, the Beavs aren't in a position to conduct a competitive national search. But they do get now hire a coach with a salary commensurate with expected future revenues. We are, on the other hand, paying for a coach based on projected revenues we will never attain.
Dickert is making $2.7 million, last in the Pac-12.

This is from 2021 for MWC coaches.

From my limited knowledge of the situation, in OSU's position I can understand the choice for HC. OSU should know what his role was under Smith and how he filled it. Coordinators come in two flavors: not the right skill set to manage a program, and a skill set that appears able to manage a program (but that is always "yet to be proven"). Most HC's were previously coordinators. Every one of them is a risk when promoted to HC, because it is very possible to succeed at the OC or DC level and not be suited to running the program. In some cases that is obvious, but not most of the time. Bray may have the necessary skills. If so, he will probably need a couple of years to fully (or mostly) develop them...that is to be expected.

I wish them well with their selection. Time will tell.
With the other uncertainties surrounding the program, there’s no way they could allow a head coach vacancy to linger. They had to act quickly. Bray gives them some continuity and familiarity, and takes away that question mark. He can work immediately on retention. He’s also cheap, so helps address the likely budget issue as well.
I’m far from convinced he’s the right guy for the next few years, but it’s what they needed to do in the short term.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT