ADVERTISEMENT

Big Day. Go Cougs

On the MWC side of the scheduling alliance I'll be waiting to see if the media package is renegotiated to include WSU and OSU games for the MWC home schedules. If they do then it might impact the exit fees. MWC exit fees are based on 3 times the average media payout. They go by average because Boise gets more than the rest.

I would think that since George is still on the payroll put him to work on whatever you can put together on a one year media package. My understanding is that WSU retains the rights to their home games in the MWC/Pac2 scheduling alliance. Obviously the Texas Tech game has some value. The other 5 not so much. An example is the SJSU @ UNLV game this year. FS1, FS2, and CBS Sports did not pick that one up to televise. They didn't see the value in it at the time they contracted. You may run into the same issue with the 4 MWC schools on the schedule for next year. There is less than a year to get something lined up and they need to get on it quickly.

As soon as the basketball scheduling alliance is out then you need to market that media package as well.
You can’t be serious. That would be like finding out your financial advisor is leading a Ponzi scheme and saying…well he’s already got my money so let’s see what he can do with it.

You can’t be serious. That would be like finding out your financial advisor is leading a Ponzi scheme and saying…well he’s already got my money so let’s see what he can do with it.
Buy out his contract and let him go. The main thing I was responding to was to some of things that need to be done soon. Need to get that media contract for that one year.

I would think that since George is still on the payroll put him to work on whatever you can put together on a one year media package. My understanding is that WSU retains the rights to their home games in the MWC/Pac2 scheduling alliance. Obviously the Texas Tech game has some value. The other 5 not so much. An example is the SJSU @ UNLV game this year. FS1, FS2, and CBS Sports did not pick that one up to televise. They didn't see the value in it at the time they contracted. You may run into the same issue with the 4 MWC schools on the schedule for next year. There is less than a year to get something lined up and they need to get on it quickly.

As soon as the basketball scheduling alliance is out then you need to market that media package as well.
I don't want that worthless POS to be working on anything. He already f-ed up our conference with his shit lack of a clue when ESPN offered us $30 mill.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
I don't want that worthless POS to be working on anything. He already f-ed up our conference with his shit lack of a clue when ESPN offered us $30 mill.
I agree. Hopefully we can terminate Kliavkoff (sp?) with cause and save the balance due on his contract.

At one time, Oliver Luck was working a few months ago for the PAC-4 as a media consultant. Is he still available?

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
Bing's AI is a little wonky, this is my best effort.
OIG.EipAYLlPKwUOIFhK4Vzo

Reactions: COUGinNCW
We have total control

Yes, WSU and Oregon State have control of the board. But the bylaws and obligations of WSU and OSU as board members still apply to various aspects of the conference and its handling of distributions, etc., among other things. Here's part of Wilner's piece that is relevant:

Last week, the Beavers and Cougars prevented the conference from making its traditional mid-year revenue distribution to the campuses. The distribution would have amounted to $5 million per school, but OSU and WSU rejected the move based on financial concerns.

Specifically, the two schools wanted full agreement on a plan to handle the future liabilities expected from court cases against the Pac-12 and the NCAA.

WSU and OSU are bound by the framework of the preliminary injunction to include the other 10 schools in board meetings, although only the Cougars and Beavers will have voting rights.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Doesn't get into other distributions. Implicitly, though, WSU and OSU blocked this most recent set of distributions due to those concerns with contingent liabilities, not because they are taking the position they just get to keep hundreds of millions of dollars. As I understand it, WSU and OSU don't even yet have a full picture into the conference's assets and liabilities. That's part of why they wanted to get control.

So again, great result for WSU and OSU. But I think anyone expecting WSU and OSU to just pocket hundreds of millions of dollars and take the position that all the other schools don't get their distributions "earned" prior to their departure dates is going to be disappointed. For one, I'm skeptical there really is that much money in the conference or its assets, outside of the payments still coming in for media rights, postseason money, etc. Maybe there is. I just doubt it. And even if there is, there are some significant liabilities we know about and, I suspect, more that we don't yet know about.

Reactions: HCoug
Well query me this Dave. Who are we going to grab to maintain Power 5 status? Even if the ACC sort of implodes, they have 14 teams (plus ND as a non FB affiliate). That goes to 17 next season. So even if Clemson, FSU and Miami leave, they will have 14. Still Power 5. Big 12 just added 4 G5 schools. Still Power 5. Mik wants us go clear across the country to add 3 G5 schools.
Good question.

Suppose we rebuild the PAC-12 by poaching just the most desirable 6 schools from the MWC, including their best football brands, Boise St. & Fresno St. The resulting conference could be called a "Power Minus" or "G Plus" conference and slot between the Power 4 and G5. It's the best we can do, and it's a step up from just joining the MWC.

Such a conference would make for a very nice home for Oregon St. and Washington St.

Some of us Beaver fans, myself included, believe that over time, such a "Power Minus" conference could eventually reach Power 5 status. Several of the former G5 schools would step up their game, just as we saw with Utah when they joined the PAC-12. But we have to choose carefully: just take the schools that have the potential to grow into Power 5 schools (like San Diego St. and not New Mexico).

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
I agree. Hopefully we can terminate Kliavkoff (sp?) with cause and save the balance due on his contract.

At one time, Oliver Luck was working a few months ago for the PAC-4 as a media consultant. Is he still available?

Kliavkoff is going to be paid through the end of his contract one way or another. If Schulz and the OSU president fire him for cause, he is going to sue, and the discovery process will be very damaging to Schulz. Kliavkoff knows where all the bodies are buried. Shulz is inept, but he’ll always act in his own self interest.

Buy out his contract and let him go. The main thing I was responding to was to some of things that need to be done soon. Need to get that media contract for that one year.
I wonder if George can be fired for cause like college coaches can be? I think there is a strong case to be made that he was working more for the benefit of the departing schools than he was for the conference when he was trying to get all the schools together for the board meeting, knowing (or certainly SHOULD have known) that those ten schools no longer had a right to be on the board. And if you are not working for the best interests of the PAC 12 Conference, then why the eff do we need to keep paying you?

Something we all need to keep in mind is to keep out desire for revenge in check. Yes, I, as much as anyone, would LOVE to have the opportunity to totally buttfork all the traitor schools, and use gravel as a lubricant, but some caution is needed. Recall that Libey said that our actions needed to be fair. He said fair, not equal, which should be an important distinction. Without guidance/definition from him of what he meant, we need to be careful.

If no school had left the conference, we would have had a media deal worth about $31,000,000 for each school (assuming reports are correct). I think we will end up with considerably less than that for the next two years without a full conference, and likely also going forward, therefore those 10 schools have caused harm to WSU and OSU. Fair treatment would be to ensure that WSU and OSU end up with media compensation equal to what the leaving schools will be getting. Therefore there will be no obligation to split all the funds equally due to the harm caused to the Conference by their departures. That harm will be able to be quantified!

I wonder if George can be fired for cause like college coaches can be? I think there is a strong case to be made that he was working more for the benefit of the departing schools than he was for the conference when he was trying to get all the schools together for the board meeting, knowing (or certainly SHOULD have known) that those ten schools no longer had a right to be on the board. And if you are not working for the best interests of the PAC 12 Conference, then why the eff do we need to keep paying you?

Something we all need to keep in mind is to keep out desire for revenge in check. Yes, I, as much as anyone, would LOVE to have the opportunity to totally buttfork all the traitor schools, and use gravel as a lubricant, but some caution is needed. Recall that Libey said that our actions needed to be fair. He said fair, not equal, which should be an important distinction. Without guidance/definition from him of what he meant, we need to be careful.

If no school had left the conference, we would have had a media deal worth about $31,000,000 for each school (assuming reports are correct). I think we will end up with considerably less than that for the next two years without a full conference, and likely also going forward, therefore those 10 schools have caused harm to WSU and OSU. Fair treatment would be to ensure that WSU and OSU end up with media compensation equal to what the leaving schools will be getting. Therefore there will be no obligation to split all the funds equally due to the harm caused to the Conference by their departures. That harm will be able to be quantified!

Every one of these schools has stuck it to WSU every chance they’ve had. It has never been fair. It has never been equal.

Do not let them off the hook. Bury them all.

• Love
Reactions: Cougini5591
Yes, WSU and Oregon State have control of the board. But the bylaws and obligations of WSU and OSU as board members still apply to various aspects of the conference and its handling of distributions, etc., among other things. Here's part of Wilner's piece that is relevant:

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Doesn't get into other distributions. Implicitly, though, WSU and OSU blocked this most recent set of distributions due to those concerns with contingent liabilities, not because they are taking the position they just get to keep hundreds of millions of dollars. As I understand it, WSU and OSU don't even yet have a full picture into the conference's assets and liabilities. That's part of why they wanted to get control.

So again, great result for WSU and OSU. But I think anyone expecting WSU and OSU to just pocket hundreds of millions of dollars and take the position that all the other schools don't get their distributions "earned" prior to their departure dates is going to be disappointed. For one, I'm skeptical there really is that much money in the conference or its assets, outside of the payments still coming in for media rights, postseason money, etc. Maybe there is. I just doubt it. And even if there is, there are some significant liabilities we know about and, I suspect, more that we don't yet know about.

Agree.

The biggest contingent liability of all may be the class action suit against the NCAA/P5 conferences, which could amount to billions. WSU and OSU don’t want to be left holding the bag for the Pac 12’s share of that potential judgment/settlement.

Reactions: 425cougfan
So, now USC files in United States District Court, right?

Attorneys??? Gib? SoCal?

Haters of attorney’s, Local1??

Kliavkoff is going to be paid through the end of his contract one way or another. If Schulz and the OSU president fire him for cause, he is going to sue, and the discovery process will be very damaging to Schulz. Kliavkoff knows where all the bodies are buried. Shulz is inept, but he’ll always act in his own self interest.
how damaging? Like damaging that he thought they should push for $50M or are you just speculating that he’s done/said stupid things?

So, now USC files in United States District Court, right?

Attorneys??? Gib? SoCal?

Haters of attorney’s, Local1??
You mean me? I have no clue. My semi-relevant bitch, being the accountant that I am, is this seeming inability to quantify assets, liabilities, future revenues and expenses, etc. I did this shit routinely for decades, and it annoys the shit out of me. Geezus, this is Accounting 230.

how damaging? Like damaging that he thought they should push for $50M or are you just speculating that he’s done/said stupid things?

Probably both. I believe that Shulz will want to avoid alienating Kliavkoff, who could provide some much-needed transparency into the actions and failures of the presidents, including Shulz, who had a leadership role among the presidents during this fiasco.

Last edited:
I remember going into Actg 230 after not going to class for some time. (new girlfriend)

I sat down and TA handed back the exams.

I stood up and walked out.
Yeah, 230 weeded them out. A lot of business majors became Comm majors after 230.

I remember sitting in the back row of Todd 144 during 230. Sat there so I could rest my head against the back wall. So here are close to 200 of us in the classroom, and Professor McEldowney is up at the board sketching out dividends in arrears. I kind of perked up and raised my hand. 200 sets of eyes turned around and looked at me like WTF dude?. I pointed at the board and said "shouldn't that be 7? (or whatever the number was). He turns around, looks at the board, turns back to me and says "you're right". 200 sets of eyes turn around and look at me. Bigger this time.

Another time, I was working doing work for a farmer and drove Water truck. Can't remember now if this was Spring semester or Summer school. Another Todd 144 class. So I had a mid-morning accounting class, and the farmer would let me drive the water truck to class between water loads. I would illegally drive past Bryan and park in the illegal lot right outside of Todd, and walk in. All grimy and smelling like chemicals. So I would always have a bunch of eyes on me as I strolled across the parking lot, then again as I would appear at the back classroom door and take my usual spot in the back row. Funny.

One more Todd 144 story. For a while I was working part time as a custodian, and and like most custodians had a late shift. So for some reason I'm in the middle of the front section for an 8 AM class. I apparently dozed off. Came to and all these students were looking at me. I turned to the guy next to me "did I fall asleep?". He goes dude you were totally sawing logs.

Good times that Todd 144.

Yeah, 230 weeded them out. A lot of business majors became Comm majors after 230.

I remember sitting in the back row of Todd 144 during 230. Sat there so I could rest my head against the back wall. So here are close to 200 of us in the classroom, and Professor McEldowney is up at the board sketching out dividends in arrears. I kind of perked up and raised my hand. 200 sets of eyes turned around and looked at me like WTF dude?. I pointed at the board and said "shouldn't that be 7? (or whatever the number was). He turns around, looks at the board, turns back to me and says "you're right". 200 sets of eyes turn around and look at me. Bigger this time.

Another time, I was working doing work for a farmer and drove Water truck. Can't remember now if this was Spring semester or Summer school. Another Todd 144 class. So I had a mid-morning accounting class, and the farmer would let me drive the water truck to class between water loads. I would illegally drive past Bryan and park in the illegal lot right outside of Todd, and walk in. All grimy and smelling like chemicals. So I would always have a bunch of eyes on me as I strolled across the parking lot, then again as I would appear at the back classroom door and take my usual spot in the back row. Funny.

One more Todd 144 story. For a while I was working part time as a custodian, and and like most custodians had a late shift. So for some reason I'm in the middle of the front section for an 8 AM class. I apparently dozed off. Came to and all these students were looking at me. I turned to the guy next to me "did I fall asleep?". He goes dude you were totally sawing logs.

Bernie was your stereotypical accountant.

Jan, his wife, who taught a couple finance classes was kind of hot in a librarian sort of way.

Jan, his wife, who taught a couple finance classes was kind of hot in a librarian sort of way.
Yes he was, but nice guy. He got me into accounting. We were having a beer after the final at the Coug and he asked me what I was going into and what my grade would be. I said "management and an A". He said you need to go into accounting. The rest is history.

Don't think I ever saw Jan.

OK, one more story before I take the dog out. In one of my subsequent classes - 231 or 330 maybe?, I became buds with our TA. Since I was an A student in accounting, he would have me come by, and over beers I would help him grade the tests for our class. He would grade mine of course.

So many stories.

I remember the McEldowneys(sp?)

I took 230 in high school back in Indiana so it was review for me.

Didn’t say I failed the class, just that I missed a few chapters and a mid-term!

Once a pathway from Two-PAC to New Pack is cleared with a slot in the 12 team bracket for the conference champion and a competitive conference TV package, P-12 Presidents have much to gain with a private negotiated settlement.
"Two-PAC to New Pack". I like it.

This reminds me of a story from my WSU days. I graduated in business finance. But I started in architecture. In one class, a 7:45am class, there was a visiting professor from Great Britian one day. He was showing slides of various European buildings. The slides were interesting, but his dialogue was not. A person could inject caffeine directly into their veins and still fall asleep listening to the guy.

So about halfway through class, the professor starts yelling as loud as he could and pounding a wooden pointer stick that he had been using on a desk, breaking the stick. He was shouting wake up, wake up, you are so rude, etc. There were about 10-15 people in the class and after a while of him yelling, I realize he is screaming at me.

I'll admit, with the early class, the lights being off because of him showing slides, and his boring presentation, I was having trouble staying awake. But I was awake. I told him he had no idea what he was talking about, I was not asleep, and he was the one who was rude. I proceeded to correctly name the buildings, in order, of the previous five slides. He said "Oh" and then continued his presentation without apologizing and acted as if nothing had happened.

A few days later, I am in some prerequisite class with about 300 other students, and he happened to be giving his presentation to the class. Sure enough, halfway through he starts yelling and screaming at people for being rude and falling asleep.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

I took 230 from Bernie and I took (I think) 331 from Jan. I do remember that I studied for the first exam in Jan's class, and I got a D+. Same for the second, except I did worse and got a D. I would have dropped the class then, but it was too late. So, I just stopped going and decided that I was going to retake the class the next semester.

I ended up missing every assignment and the third exam after I stopped going.

At the end of the semester, I decided that I would take the final. I think it was because I would have a copy of the test for the next time I took the class, but that was a long time ago. I did study for the final, but not as hard as the two times I that I received D's.

Turns out, something clicked, and I ended up acing the test. Since the final was weighted most of the grade, I ended up passing the class with a C+.

I took 230 from Bernie and I took (I think) 331 from Jan. I do remember that I studied for the first exam in Jan's class, and I got a D+. Same for the second, except I did worse and got a D. I would have dropped the class then, but it was too late. So, I just stopped going and decided that I was going to retake the class the next semester.

I ended up missing every assignment and the third exam after I stopped going.

At the end of the semester, I decided that I would take the final. I think it was because I would have a copy of the test for the next time I took the class, but that was a long time ago. I did study for the final, but not as hard as the two times I that I received D's.

Turns out, something clicked, and I ended up acing the test. Since the final was weighted most of the grade, I ended up passing the class with a C+.
I could tell stories all day. I had a buddy retaking Stats 215 (think he ended up with a general studies degree). So he was in another section with some Asian teacher, thank Gawd I had a white guy that I could understand. So he talks me into going in and taking his tests for him. Got an A on the first, I think a C on the second. His classmates would look at me on test day like Who TF are you? I got scared and told him no on sitting for the final. I think he flunked it but ended up with a C or C minus for the class.

I did great in my business classes but sucked on the GUR's. Like Comm 101 along with about 1,000 students in Bryan Hall. Bored as well, I forget the Prof (Val Kilmer?), reading from his own textbook. Always thought that was BS. Anyway, I did not go to the assigned movie Citizen Kane, and the next damn test had like 5 questions about the movie. I think I missed them all as I was just guessing. Who the hell was Rosebud? Found out later that it was the name of young Kane's sled.

The best Stats memory. Guy named Hamid is the professor. Thick accent.

“I have coin. I flip coin. What is probability of me getting head.”

Voice from back “You, Hamid? NONE!”

• Haha
Reactions: Coug90 and ATACFD
The best Stats memory. Guy named Hamid is the professor. Thick accent.

“I have coin. I flip coin. What is probability of me getting head.”

Voice from back “You, Hamid? NONE!”
Oh fer F's sake. I about snorted my beer out of my nose!

I could tell stories all day. I had a buddy retaking Stats 215 (think he ended up with a general studies degree). So he was in another section with some Asian teacher, thank Gawd I had a white guy that I could understand. So he talks me into going in and taking his tests for him. Got an A on the first, I think a C on the second. His classmates would look at me on test day like Who TF are you? I got scared and told him no on sitting for the final. I think he flunked it but ended up with a C or C minus for the class.

I did great in my business classes but sucked on the GUR's. Like Comm 101 along with about 1,000 students in Bryan Hall. Bored as well, I forget the Prof (Val Kilmer?), reading from his own textbook. Always thought that was BS. Anyway, I did not go to the assigned movie Citizen Kane, and the next damn test had like 5 questions about the movie. I think I missed them all as I was just guessing. Who the hell was Rosebud? Found out later that it was the name of young Kane's sled.
Val limburg, you struggled with com 101? How about Hugh Rundell

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT