ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest individual stock W

kougkurt

Hall Of Fame
Nov 19, 2011
Most recently it would have to be DraftKings. Cost basis of $11.50 and closing today at $38.37. As far as long term Tesla would have to be right up there with an adjusted split cost basis of around $20.
My main problem is purchasing somewhat speculative equities and riding them up then down usually below the strike price.
Novavax was one I got into early during the pandemic. Purchased around $18, watched it climb to $300, then got out around $80 Todays close was $5.73
If we go away from equities, real estate has treated me well also. Purchased first condo in 1990 for about $110,000 Bought and sold since. Now own 2 homes, with one having equity near 7 figures. Unfortunately, I think the days of these types of real estate returns are gone.
Not tooted my own horn at all. Strictly for discussion purposes.

Most recently it would have to be DraftKings. Cost basis of $11.50 and closing today at $38.37. As far as long term Tesla would have to be right up there with an adjusted split cost basis of around $20.
My main problem is purchasing somewhat speculative equities and riding them up then down usually below the strike price.
Novavax was one I got into early during the pandemic. Purchased around $18, watched it climb to $300, then got out around $80 Todays close was $5.73
If we go away from equities, real estate has treated me well also. Purchased first condo in 1990 for about $110,000 Bought and sold since. Now own 2 homes, with one having equity near 7 figures. Unfortunately, I think the days of these types of real estate returns are gone.
Not tooted my own horn at all. Strictly for discussion purposes.
I had a little bit of money to invest in March 2020 when the market was bottoming out. Occidental Petroleum is up about 5x. Boeing has done OK, but off its highs over the last 3.5 years. Had I listened to my advisor, it would have been Tesla and college for my kids would be paid for. I've found it's much easier to time getting in then time getting out.

Editing to add- I bought four shares of Microsoft in 99 or 00 with a few hundred bucks of student loan money I had when the semester ended figuring it sky rocket after MSFT got past the monopoly issues, and maybe, just maybe would help us with a down payment for house in a few years. That stock did dick all for 15 years. My wife thinks a 10x return over 20+ years is wonderful. Don't tell her otherwise.

Bought my current home in 2010. Value decreased for two years, then steadily increased, then exploded in 2020. Will be living mortgage free as soon as we downsize to an empty nester.

Last edited:
I had a little bit of money to invest in March 2020 when the market was bottoming out. Occidental Petroleum is up about 5x. Boeing has done OK, but off its highs over the last 3.5 years. Had I listened to my advisor, it would have been Tesla and my college for my kids would be paid for. I've found it's much easier to time getting in then time getting out.

Bought my current home in 2010. Value decreased for two years, then steadily increased, then exploded in 2020. Will be living mortgage free as soon as we downsize to an empty nester.

IMO BA has a lot of upside from here. I was expecting a big Chinese order when Xi was in SF.

Bank of America. Bought it at 7.10, sold at 42. I think it actually topped near 50, but I decided 6x was enough. It's around $28 now. If it gets to 25, I'll think about re-buying.

Not quite that good, but still very happy: Cheniere Energy (LNG) - in at $38, currently trading at $175. Last time I checked forecasts, high end was 226. Still holding it, will probably dump near $200.

Also made decent money on Pfizer, thanks to the pandemic. Watching that one now to see if it's time to get back in.

My biggest "I wish I had pulled the trigger" stocks:

Red Hat. When it IPO'd in 1999, I wanted some. My advisor at the time convinced me there was no money in competing with Microsoft, so I didn't. I could have gotten in around $35. Within a year it was $140.

Boeing. Mid-pandemic, during the whole 737 Max fiasco, it was down around $90. Seriously considered dropping a big chunk of my portfolio into it. Today it's at about 210, and it was 230 earlier this year.

Could have made a pile on both of those.

My killing was with Covid and doing Docusign and Zoom. Saw that a mile away.

I have done really well with Nvidia lately.

I'm trying to guess and time it, but I am a full believer in Nikola. Just bought.

This next year makes me EXTREMELY nervous. Probably going to be very cautious.

I believe in always buying a little/some:

Apple
Microsoft
Costco

and then let Vanguard party with the rest.

Great time to buy "okay" level rental property if you have the cash (no borrow) and you find someone in a pinch to get out quickly

Bank of America. Bought it at 7.10, sold at 42. I think it actually topped near 50, but I decided 6x was enough. It's around $28 now. If it gets to 25, I'll think about re-buying.

Not quite that good, but still very happy: Cheniere Energy (LNG) - in at $38, currently trading at $175. Last time I checked forecasts, high end was 226. Still holding it, will probably dump near $200.

Also made decent money on Pfizer, thanks to the pandemic. Watching that one now to see if it's time to get back in.

My biggest "I wish I had pulled the trigger" stocks:

Red Hat. When it IPO'd in 1999, I wanted some. My advisor at the time convinced me there was no money in competing with Microsoft, so I didn't. I could have gotten in around $35. Within a year it was $140.

Boeing. Mid-pandemic, during the whole 737 Max fiasco, it was down around $90. Seriously considered dropping a big chunk of my portfolio into it. Today it's at about 210, and it was 230 earlier this year.

Could have made a pile on both of those.

Yeah, I remember when IBM bought Red Hat in ‘18 I believe

My killing was with Covid and doing Docusign and Zoom. Saw that a mile away.

I have done really well with Nvidia lately.

I'm trying to guess and time it, but I am a full believer in Nikola. Just bought.

This next year makes me EXTREMELY nervous. Probably going to be very cautious.

I believe in always buying a little/some:

Apple
Microsoft
Costco

and then let Vanguard party with the rest.

Great time to buy "okay" level rental property if you have the cash (no borrow) and you find someone in a pinch to get out quickly

Do you still own Docusign and Zoom? Like Peloton, they crashed back to earth. Kick myself not getting in Nvidia

Cam Wards truck. Returned 5 pac12 wins and gave Gibbons a new friend.

Another recent miss: PG&E. They tanked after some of the Northern California fires a few years ago, but have rebounded. Missed a chance at doubling money.

Still watching Hawaiian electric - same scenario.

Tough to find things that look like likely winners now. Most of the things I see that might give me 10-20% could just as easily lose 10-20%. Starting to think that I should look at shorting the housing market though.

Do you still own Docusign and Zoom? Like Peloton, they crashed back to earth. Kick myself not getting in Nvidia
Oh hell no. I sold out after it was pretty obvious the Covid was way over played.

I should've waited about 6 more months based on states being moronic like Cali... Washington... New York... and the over extension of "isolation", but I did well.

I was wrong on Clorox though. I bought and it really didn't do anything

Reactions: kougkurt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT