ADVERTISEMENT

Biggs... Is this OL worth a look?

SDCoug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Hamilton, MT
I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t really follow recruiting too much. I do respect your take on recruits, though. Especially lineman.

I found Dylan Rollins to be intriguing when reading about him in the Missoulian tonight. Seems like someone to keep an eye on. And given his goals and proximity to Pullman, it seems as though we would stand a chance if he’s legitimate.

https://missoulian.com/sports/high-...cle_959bb4da-ea9f-5be1-a64c-db01bc485386.html

Well, he’s got 10 D1 offers, including one from Nebraska. He’s Montana’s highest regarded football prospect in 6 years.

I’m saying, yes.

I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t really follow recruiting too much. I do respect your take on recruits, though. Especially lineman.

I found Dylan Rollins to be intriguing when reading about him in the Missoulian tonight. Seems like someone to keep an eye on. And given his goals and proximity to Pullman, it seems as though we would stand a chance if he’s legitimate.

https://missoulian.com/sports/high-...cle_959bb4da-ea9f-5be1-a64c-db01bc485386.html

He is a must have kid.

Nice. Hope he’s on our radar.

He looks fit and trim for his size. He runs well. He finishes blocks. He run blocks. He sticks his nose into contact.

There are a lot of teams that would be glad to have him.

Hmmm maybe Rolo/WSU, should be building pipelines, bridges, relationships with Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, etc, instead of WA.

If those states dont have any 3,4+ stars, lack of P5 offers, etc, then dont offer any of them in that kind of year.

But sooner or later, eventually 1 of those 3 states will produce a 4,5 star, that WSU would probably be the favorite to get, and get if WSU did this, that.

And it wouldnt take that much time, money.

Just a couple, few, some well placed phone calls, visits.

"Hey Coach X, have any Div 1, P5, 3 star+, etc, players this year?"

Maybe you have 1 WSU assistant coach, blitz call the coaches, or rapidly goto the more prominent schools.

Maybe a WSU assistant coach holds a WSU recruiting camp in one of those 3 states, at a prominent highschool once every 2 years, where recruits can show up to be evaluated?

Etc.

Well, he’s got 10 D1 offers, including one from Nebraska. He’s Montana’s highest regarded football prospect in 6 years.

I’m saying, yes.
His only FBS offer is from Air Force. Nebraska offered a PWO spot. The rest are FCS and Ivy League teams. P-5 teams are holding back because they haven’t seen him live.

He sustains blocks well, and doesn’t seem to have any problem getting downfield to take on LBs. Seems to have a good sense of the field, the the clips I watched were a lot of the same plays. I’m not wild about how often he ends up on the ground. When he stays low, he’s got good drive strength, but he seems to have a tendency to play a little tall. That costs him leverage, but in HS he’s big enough to get away with it. Small sampling of pass plays, he was effective but looked less comfortable, again looked like he’s relying on size instead of good position/technique.

He’s got potential, and he’s worth watching. But if I coached a P-5 team I think I’d wait and see a little more.

His only FBS offer is from Air Force. Nebraska offered a PWO spot. The rest are FCS and Ivy League teams. P-5 teams are holding back because they haven’t seen him live.

He sustains blocks well, and doesn’t seem to have any problem getting downfield to take on LBs. Seems to have a good sense of the field, the the clips I watched were a lot of the same plays. I’m not wild about how often he ends up on the ground. When he stays low, he’s got good drive strength, but he seems to have a tendency to play a little tall. That costs him leverage, but in HS he’s big enough to get away with it. Small sampling of pass plays, he was effective but looked less comfortable, again looked like he’s relying on size instead of good position/technique.

He’s got potential, and he’s worth watching. But if I coached a P-5 team I think I’d wait and see a little more.

He is a kid that needed a summer camp schedule to show off for coaches. He prob doesn't get help playing in Montana. A big senior year could bring in a lot of offers.

You can coach a kid better technique. If given the choice of athleticism and being physical OR good technique and lacking athleticism and physicality, I choose the athlete.

He is a kid that needed a summer camp schedule to show off for coaches. He prob doesn't get help playing in Montana. A big senior year could bring in a lot of offers.

You can coach a kid better technique. If given the choice of athleticism and being physical OR good technique and lacking athleticism and physicality, I choose the athlete.
I agree, but before I extended a P-5 offer sheet, I’d rather see the pieces come together better.

I agree, but before I extended a P-5 offer sheet, I’d rather see the pieces come together better.

You may not get the chance. If it’s me, I’ve seen enough. Im not going to sit on the fence and tell the kid I need to see more film when his season could be canceled. I want to build a relationship rather than watch another P5 school show up with an offer and now Im playing catch up.

You may not get the chance. If it’s me, I’ve seen enough. Im not going to sit on the fence and tell the kid I need to see more film when his season could be canceled. I want to build a relationship rather than watch another P5 school show up with an offer and now Im playing catch up.
At the end of the day, schools, especially WSU, are going to have to take a few chances this year. This kid was heading to camps, WSU included. Those were cancelled. Like you said, who knows if they end up playing a season this year. These aspects are out of his and WSU’s control.

He seems to have all of the intangibles. He’s smart. He’s steadily put on good weight. He's a hard worker (wrestled to learn how to gain leverage).

It will be much harder to find the hidden gems this year. It feels like you have to gamble on a few if you think you’ve found them.

I just wonder if the Cougs even really know he exists. Rosenbach certainly knows about him and wants him for The Griz. Probably has a decent relationship with the kid. I wonder if he’d give Rolo a call if it turned out he knew he was going to lose him to a bigger school anyway. Not sure if that sort of thing ever happens or not.

At the end of the day, schools, especially WSU, are going to have to take a few chances this year. This kid was heading to camps, WSU included. Those were cancelled. Like you said, who knows if they end up playing a season this year. These aspects are out of his and WSU’s control.

He seems to have all of the intangibles. He’s smart. He’s steadily put on good weight. He's a hard worker (wrestled to learn how to gain leverage).

It will be much harder to find the hidden gems this year. It feels like you have to gamble on a few if you think you’ve found them.

I just wonder if the Cougs even really know he exists. Rosenbach certainly knows about him and wants him for The Griz. Probably has a decent relationship with the kid. I wonder if he’d give Rolo a call if it turned out he knew he was going to lose him to a bigger school anyway. Not sure if that sort of thing ever happens or not.
The brains plus athleticism might turn me around, if I saw more film. Hard to ignore the fact that half the Ivy League wants him. The two Hudl videos I saw got my attention, but I’d want to see some game film (at least) before stepping up with an offer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT