ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Rob

Turns 90 this week. An honor to have meet and talked to you, sir! Thank you for all you've done for me.

An "All Time Great", not just as a broadcaster, but as a person, as well.

He's a big part of what got me hooked on the Cougs as a young kid. I think it was the 1965 "Cardiac Cougs" season when I first started paying attention?

Listening to him paint a word picture of the game made it real for me.

Yes- in his prime on the play-by-play he was excellent at telling the radio listener what we needed to know to follow the game. You really didn't appreciate it until you had heard other broadcasts. To this day when I listen to the Bronco's broadcast and they scream "CATCH" and then go into a long tangent without telling us if it was for 2 yards or 20, I just shake my head and think of Bob.

I never met him, but heard through the grapevine that despite all his good work and many gigs, he never realized much financial compensation and had to live very frugally to support his family through broadcasting over the years.

Yes- in his prime on the play-by-play he was excellent at telling the radio listener what we needed to know to follow the game. You really didn't appreciate it until you had heard other broadcasts. To this day when I listen to the Bronco's broadcast and they scream "CATCH" and then go into a long tangent without telling us if it was for 2 yards or 20, I just shake my head and think of Bob.

I never met him, but heard through the grapevine that despite all his good work and many gigs, he never realized much financial compensation and had to live very frugally to support his family through broadcasting over the years.
For a while I tried to listen to Bob and put the TV on muted, but in those days the radio signal travelled faster than the TV did and there wasn't a way to sync it up properly. It still would've been the best way to experience a game short of being there

Reactions: earldacoug
For a while I tried to listen to Bob and put the TV on muted, but in those days the radio signal travelled faster than the TV did and there wasn't a way to sync it up properly. It still would've been the best way to experience a game short of being there
"Always be a good sport; be a good sport all ways!"

Random, I used to do the same thing but the lack of synchronization was annoying. A televised view with Bob Rob's voice would have been perfect. The television folks missed an opportunity by not employing him and letting him do their broadcast. When Bob broadcast a game one could see the game in their mind. Not as well as a televised view but pretty close. That's the sign of a great broadcaster and why Bob was annually voted the state's best. He and Dave Niehaus were the two best that I have ever heard.

A statue of him behind the mike has been proposed in past comments on this blog and I still think that it would be an excellent idea. I would be delighted to donate towards that goal. The younger alumni do not fully realize how blessed the school was with Bob but one would be hard pressed to find a old coot like myself who fails to appreciate all he has given to WSU with his voice and talent.

Random, I used to do the same thing but the lack of synchronization was annoying. A televised view with Bob Rob's voice would have been perfect. The television folks missed an opportunity by not employing him and letting him do their broadcast. When Bob broadcast a game one could see the game in their mind. Not as well as a televised view but pretty close. That's the sign of a great broadcaster and why Bob was annually voted the state's best. He and Dave Niehaus were the two best that I have ever heard.

A statue of him behind the mike has been proposed in past comments on this blog and I still think that it would be an excellent idea. I would be delighted to donate towards that goal. The younger alumni do not fully realize how blessed the school was with Bob but one would be hard pressed to find a old coot like myself who fails to appreciate all he has given to WSU with his voice and talent.
That smells like a fundraiser to me. One that a lot of donors probably wouldn't mind giving a little extra to.

Incidentally, I've watched games on Sling TV for the last 4 years. For some reason, there was consistently enough delay on my Sling feed that the radio broadcast was almost synchronized with it.

15 minute interview from 4 years ago when inducted into Canadian Broadcast HOF - good BobRob early history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT