ADVERTISEMENT

Brace for an Exodus ?

WaltherPPK

Redshirt
Sep 8, 2014
Spokane

After Saturday’s Apple Cup loss against Washington, the Washington State Cougars face an uncertain future—and a wave of transfers—in the wake of the Pac-12’s collapse.​

The Washington State Cougars are one of college football’s most remote major teams. They play in Pullman, Wash.—population a hair under 33,000—in a rural region of eastern Washington known as the Palouse.

“We don’t have any ‘whales’ who have come forward to support us,” said Tim Brandle, treasurer for Cougar Collective, the university’s donor organization that helps connect athletes with endorsement deals. “But we do have passionate Cougar fans all over the world.”

The university’s rural setting holds it back. “We don’t have a Lamborghini dealership in Pullman,” said Robbie Tobeck, an offensive lineman for Washington State in the early 90s and co-founder of Cougar Collective. But, Tobeck added, starting quarterback Cam Ward did get hooked up with a GMC truck from a local car dealership.

“We have done OK with less,” Tobeck said. “But you can’t do with less over and over and over again and expect to have a winning program.”

Laine Higgins at
laine.higgins@wsj.com

Thanks captain obvious.

One quote from the article tell you all you need to know about Cougar fundraising :

“We don’t have any ‘whales’ who have come forward to support us..."

Guess if we just sit back and wait, someone is  bound to come forward.

I am bracing for an infusion of talent. LOL!!!!! Here's to dreaming.
Remember getting up early in the morning on signing day to see what surprises might have pledged to WSU?

Or hopping for a package deal of signees from Kennedy High School?

Or checking the commit list 35 times a day while at work on signing day?

Now I am just hoping for competent coaching and a conference to call a home.

Thanks captain obvious.

One quote from the article tell you all you need to know about Cougar fundraising :

“We don’t have any ‘whales’ who have come forward to support us..."

Guess if we just sit back and wait, someone is  bound to come forward.
No one is coming forward. That ship sailed when Paul Allen died. But the "whale" remark reminds that I'm not a chubby chaser. They just don't do it for me.

Fresno, SDSU, Wyoming, Colorado Springs. Better than Ames or those other shitholes in the Midwest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT