ADVERTISEMENT

Finally....Mateer is here....

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
The wait is over. As a Mateer fan....it will be fun to watch him.... "let it rip".

What isn't fun, is the reality of where we are.

After four days of spring ball, WSU QB John Mateer meshing with new receivers​

Greg WoodsApril 3, 2024 at 2:34 pm
By
The Spokesman-Review
PULLMAN — John Mateer, Washington State’s incumbent quarterback looking to secure the starting job come fall, admits part of his personality might be a flaw.

“I don’t mind attention,” Mateer said.

It’s good news for Mateer, because he’s in line for a lot of it over the next few months, especially when WSU kicks off its next season, playing in the Mountain West Conference as an affiliate member.

Mateer, the Cougars’ backup quarterback each of the past two seasons, is finally in line for the starting gig. Following the departure earlier this year of Cam Ward, who Mateer played behind the past two seasons, he’s ready to assume the top job.

He’ll have to compete for it — Bryant transfer Zevi Eckhaus will be his main challenger — but for Mateer, it’s exciting. He knows he has a chance to start now. He’s been playing like it in practice, including Tuesday’s practice No. 4 of spring ball, when he connected with receivers like Carlos Hernandez and transfer Tre Shackelford for what felt like dozens of receptions.

“It’s fun. It’s the goal,” Mateer said. “I didn’t come to Washington State to sit. I came to play. So all my preparation, the last two years has been for this point. So the way I go about my business and talk to people, it’s not different. It’s the same. It’s like really just the attention, social media, and I’m in bigger conversations, more important conversations.”

To stay in those conversations, Mateer will need to establish a good rapport with his receivers, of whom there are many. Wideout Kyle Williams is the most tenured, and he broke out last season, so he figures to be the biggest target next fall.

But WSU’s receiver corps also includes a host of transfers, including Shackelford (Austin Peay), Kyle Maxwell (Louisiana Tech), Kris Hutson (Oregon), Tony Freeman (College of San Mateo), plus returners like Hernandez and Josh Meredith.

How will Mateer mesh with those guys — and is that approach different between guys he’s played with before and ones he hasn’t?

“It’s definitely different, but it’s the same process to begin with,” Mateer said. “So like with Carlos and Josh, we’re taking that next step. And the other guys aren’t far behind. It’s not like a whole new, oh, I gotta introduce how I think. It’s a whole upbringing together of chemistry.

“I mean, they’re all running the same routes. They’re all moving around together. Concepts are the same, right? They’re not all different depending on who’s out there. So I’m telling all of them what I’m thinking. So it’s meshing together differently. It just takes time. I don’t think it’s bad at all. But it just takes time to perfect and it’ll get there.”

Then there’s the process of getting all those new receivers acclimated to WSU, adjusted to the way the Cougars do business on offense. It’s a process, coach Jake Dickert affirmed, which is why it’s good news that the calendar still reads April.

“We need some big-body, outside guys,” Dickert said. “It’s good to see Maxwell back out there. But (Shackelford) has brought a toughness to that group. And when you put it on tape, that toughness is infectious because you can say, ‘Hey, look at Tre doing it. We all have to do it.’ ”

Greg Woods Washington State beat writer for The Spokesman-Review

The wait is over. As a Mateer fan....it will be fun to watch him.... "let it rip".

What isn't fun, is the reality of where we are.

After four days of spring ball, WSU QB John Mateer meshing with new receivers​

Greg WoodsApril 3, 2024 at 2:34 pm
By
The Spokesman-Review
PULLMAN — John Mateer, Washington State’s incumbent quarterback looking to secure the starting job come fall, admits part of his personality might be a flaw.

“I don’t mind attention,” Mateer said.

It’s good news for Mateer, because he’s in line for a lot of it over the next few months, especially when WSU kicks off its next season, playing in the Mountain West Conference as an affiliate member.

Mateer, the Cougars’ backup quarterback each of the past two seasons, is finally in line for the starting gig. Following the departure earlier this year of Cam Ward, who Mateer played behind the past two seasons, he’s ready to assume the top job.

He’ll have to compete for it — Bryant transfer Zevi Eckhaus will be his main challenger — but for Mateer, it’s exciting. He knows he has a chance to start now. He’s been playing like it in practice, including Tuesday’s practice No. 4 of spring ball, when he connected with receivers like Carlos Hernandez and transfer Tre Shackelford for what felt like dozens of receptions.

“It’s fun. It’s the goal,” Mateer said. “I didn’t come to Washington State to sit. I came to play. So all my preparation, the last two years has been for this point. So the way I go about my business and talk to people, it’s not different. It’s the same. It’s like really just the attention, social media, and I’m in bigger conversations, more important conversations.”

To stay in those conversations, Mateer will need to establish a good rapport with his receivers, of whom there are many. Wideout Kyle Williams is the most tenured, and he broke out last season, so he figures to be the biggest target next fall.

But WSU’s receiver corps also includes a host of transfers, including Shackelford (Austin Peay), Kyle Maxwell (Louisiana Tech), Kris Hutson (Oregon), Tony Freeman (College of San Mateo), plus returners like Hernandez and Josh Meredith.

How will Mateer mesh with those guys — and is that approach different between guys he’s played with before and ones he hasn’t?

“It’s definitely different, but it’s the same process to begin with,” Mateer said. “So like with Carlos and Josh, we’re taking that next step. And the other guys aren’t far behind. It’s not like a whole new, oh, I gotta introduce how I think. It’s a whole upbringing together of chemistry.

“I mean, they’re all running the same routes. They’re all moving around together. Concepts are the same, right? They’re not all different depending on who’s out there. So I’m telling all of them what I’m thinking. So it’s meshing together differently. It just takes time. I don’t think it’s bad at all. But it just takes time to perfect and it’ll get there.”

Then there’s the process of getting all those new receivers acclimated to WSU, adjusted to the way the Cougars do business on offense. It’s a process, coach Jake Dickert affirmed, which is why it’s good news that the calendar still reads April.

“We need some big-body, outside guys,” Dickert said. “It’s good to see Maxwell back out there. But (Shackelford) has brought a toughness to that group. And when you put it on tape, that toughness is infectious because you can say, ‘Hey, look at Tre doing it. We all have to do it.’ ”

Greg Woods Washington State beat writer for The Spokesman-Review
382 views and no replies? I will. Can't wait to see Mateer take the field. I bet he has to fight off the co-eds already, wait until he is THE man.

Not too keen on us bringing in this Senior transfer, Zevi Eckhaus. Mateer is only a Sophomore, but it doesn't sit well with me. John has the stuff.

382 views and no replies? I will. Can't wait to see Mateer take the field. I bet he has to fight off the co-eds already, wait until he is THE man.

Not too keen on us bringing in this Senior transfer, Zevi Eckhaus. Mateer is only a Sophomore, but it doesn't sit well with me. John has the stuff.
Every team needs QB competition. Every team also needs a good backup in case of injury. I have no problem bringing in an experienced, successful transfer to help fill the QB room and help push Mateer to be the best he can be.

Glad Cougar

My favorite QB of all time was Anthony Gordon. Mateer reminds me of him. If John stays healthy, and doesn't transfer out....we're in for two great years in the quarterback position.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
Fave QB of all time at WSU, was Gesser before his BS moves, then Minshew!! Man that was a fun year!,

Every team needs QB competition. Every team also needs a good backup in case of injury. I have no problem bringing in an experienced, successful transfer to help fill the QB room and help push Mateer to be the best he can be.

Glad Cougar
Worked out ok for Gordo with Gubrud

Worked out ok for Gordo with Gubrud
Yeah it did. But I didn't like that either. In Mateer's case, this will be his 3rd year, no whispers about hitting the portal. Guy wants to be here and be the guy. He's got all the tools. Bring in someone who, yeah has done well, but is a Senior, and make a QB competition out of it, I don't like it. If Mateer wins (keeps) the job, how motivated is the Senior going to be? And what is the signal to Mateer? Hey you've paid your dues but we want to bring in someone else because we aren't sure you are good enough. And look over your shoulder all year.

In Gordo's case, he was unproven even as a Senior.

That's just me.

Yeah it did. But I didn't like that either. In Mateer's case, this will be his 3rd year, no whispers about hitting the portal. Guy wants to be here and be the guy. He's got all the tools. Bring in someone who, yeah has done well, but is a Senior, and make a QB competition out of it, I don't like it. If Mateer wins (keeps) the job, how motivated is the Senior going to be? And what is the signal to Mateer? Hey you've paid your dues but we want to bring in someone else because we aren't sure you are good enough. And look over your shoulder all year.

In Gordo's case, he was unproven even as a Senior.

That's just me.
Mateer isn’t any more proven than Gordo was. He’s taken some wildcat type snaps and played some garbage time. It doesn’t hurt anything to have some competition. If you aren’t ready to compete every day D1 football probably isn’t where you should be. Every D1 roster has 4-5, sometimes 6 scholarship QBs who are always competing.

I’m sure the sane thing was told to this transfer that was told to Gubrud. We’ve got an open competition at QB with Ward leaving, but there’s other guys who’ve been here that know the system and you’ll have to beat them out. Mateer will go into the spring as QB1 and this other kid will have to prove convincingly that he’s better. If he is, so be it that’s life and the Cougs will be better for it. Not likely imo that Mateer gets beat out though, he seems like he’s got a little Coug legend swagger to him.

Glad Cougar
And depth. A senior transfer stratifies the depth chart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT