ADVERTISEMENT

Brand X Anne McCoy interview(s)

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Good but mostly uninformative interview(s). A lot of hemming and hawing, including a reference to P-2 Commissioner Teresa Gould as a "well-seasoned pro suited for this unique role". Yeah, right. After her tutelage under Larry Scott and Quackkoff. Anne does mention a rebuilt Pac-12 as a possibility, along with "it's important that we be patient". Funny that Brand X asked about her correspondence (if any) with the Big-12 and ACC Commissioners but doesn't ask about conversations (if any) with my Twitter-confirmed admirer Gloria Navarez of the MW.

That missing, I guess yet another relatively short but prophetic rant is warranted from the Mighty Loyal One.

Ok:
  • No one and I mean no one mentions WSU in what little chatter there is about further reconfiguration. OSU? Some but not much
  • All reputable fingers point to the ACC implosion as being YEARS off, what with the sure to be drawn out legal BS with FSU, Clemson, etc. Our 2-year window will have sailed long before that, along with a shit ton of lost NCAA money, affiliation payments, and lack of new NCAA credits. And there are a host of backfill candidates that ARE mentioned, some of which are also present in our fantasy conference delusions
  • Speaking of, the West Coast ACC "pod" is never mentioned anywhere, unless perhaps in some clickbait Twitter post (like Utah to the ACC). And why would the ACC seek to shore up CalFurd, two poorly watched programs that had to beg their way into the conference in the first place? By one vote. Oh let's help them out with some more poorly thought of or desired programs that have poor viewership? And increase our own travel costs when we could damn near carpool to other existing candidates' locations? What-fing-ever
  • The Big-12? They are now having to absorb 4 new programs, after already absorbing 4(?) marginal programs last year. Sorry BYU, you suck too. Solution? Yeah let's shore that up by offering an olive branch to poorly thought of OSU and WSU? Uh-huh
  • Looking forward into my Palantiri-like crystal ball, WSU is better positioned for some years-away consideration for P4 (actually not-so Power 2, B1G and SEC are out of this equation) offers as members of the already arguably strongest G5 conference. As opposed to the begging dogs that we are right now. Form the new Pac-12/14 NOW, with minimal exit penalties for all teams. Start kicking ass and position ourselves as the best the league has to offer. This is actually my finest insight yet. We cannot "be patient" and fritter away and/or potentially forego all of our money along the way. I guarantee, Joe Namath-like, that UNLV and SDSU will get offers before us if we F-around for 2 years, missing out on salvaging a couple of decent Bowl affiliations, NCAA BB monies, and better media deals than we have now
  • In conclusion, are you all aware that WSU teams (charters) can now fly out of Pullman to any MW destination, and vice versa? To and from the East Coast? not too sure about that
Sincerely, your all-knowing, all-seeing, and incredibly humorous (which is lacking here) Loyal One.

Great find. Thanks "Mighty Loyal One"

Impressed with Dr. McCoy's dedication and focus.

"I want to put us in the best possible position during this interim period that if somebody else comes in and is the AD going forward, then I want to do what I could have done to position the department to be in the best possible spot … I just feel like lobbying for a job is very time consuming, and I'm more willing to put my time towards doing the job."

Her office is filled with WSU memorabilia. Sounds like she's ready to fight for the athletic program long-term.

Wonder if she'll get a look for the president's job when Dr. Schulz retires next year?

Great find. Thanks "Mighty Loyal One"

Impressed with Dr. McCoy's dedication and focus.

"I want to put us in the best possible position during this interim period that if somebody else comes in and is the AD going forward, then I want to do what I could have done to position the department to be in the best possible spot … I just feel like lobbying for a job is very time consuming, and I'm more willing to put my time towards doing the job."

Her office is filled with WSU memorabilia. Sounds like she's ready to fight for the athletic program long-term.

Wonder if she'll get a look for the president's job when Dr. Schulz retires next year?
Oh Pete. Really? The President's job? First of all, why do you refer to her as "Dr."? From her bio, she has a bachelor's degree. Geezus buddy, I like you but come the F-on. What is wrong with you?

Second, ....Ah F-it. If this is the best (only) reply I get out of this board from my post after 200 views then I give up. Hold on to your wet dreams of our P4/2 resurrection.

Good but mostly uninformative interview(s). A lot of hemming and hawing, including a reference to P-2 Commissioner Teresa Gould as a "well-seasoned pro suited for this unique role". Yeah, right. After her tutelage under Larry Scott and Quackkoff. Anne does mention a rebuilt Pac-12 as a possibility, along with "it's important that we be patient". Funny that Brand X asked about her correspondence (if any) with the Big-12 and ACC Commissioners but doesn't ask about conversations (if any) with my Twitter-confirmed admirer Gloria Navarez of the MW.

That missing, I guess yet another relatively short but prophetic rant is warranted from the Mighty Loyal One.

Ok:
  • No one and I mean no one mentions WSU in what little chatter there is about further reconfiguration. OSU? Some but not much
  • All reputable fingers point to the ACC implosion as being YEARS off, what with the sure to be drawn out legal BS with FSU, Clemson, etc. Our 2-year window will have sailed long before that, along with a shit ton of lost NCAA money, affiliation payments, and lack of new NCAA credits. And there are a host of backfill candidates that ARE mentioned, some of which are also present in our fantasy conference delusions
  • Speaking of, the West Coast ACC "pod" is never mentioned anywhere, unless perhaps in some clickbait Twitter post (like Utah to the ACC). And why would the ACC seek to shore up CalFurd, two poorly watched programs that had to beg their way into the conference in the first place? By one vote. Oh let's help them out with some more poorly thought of or desired programs that have poor viewership? And increase our own travel costs when we could damn near carpool to other existing candidates' locations? What-fing-ever
  • The Big-12? They are now having to absorb 4 new programs, after already absorbing 4(?) marginal programs last year. Sorry BYU, you suck too. Solution? Yeah let's shore that up by offering an olive branch to poorly thought of OSU and WSU? Uh-huh
  • Looking forward into my Palantiri-like crystal ball, WSU is better positioned for some years-away consideration for P4 (actually not-so Power 2, B1G and SEC are out of this equation) offers as members of the already arguably strongest G5 conference. As opposed to the begging dogs that we are right now. Form the new Pac-12/14 NOW, with minimal exit penalties for all teams. Start kicking ass and position ourselves as the best the league has to offer. This is actually my finest insight yet. We cannot "be patient" and fritter away and/or potentially forego all of our money along the way. I guarantee, Joe Namath-like, that UNLV and SDSU will get offers before us if we F-around for 2 years, missing out on salvaging a couple of decent Bowl affiliations, NCAA BB monies, and better media deals than we have now
  • In conclusion, are you all aware that WSU teams (charters) can now fly out of Pullman to any MW destination, and vice versa? To and from the East Coast? not too sure about that
Sincerely, your all-knowing, all-seeing, and incredibly humorous (which is lacking here) Loyal One.
My only comment about “patience” is that $125 million in the hand is worth taking risks and holding off on other fronts.

You say that we should just join the MWC now and kick ass. Maybe we should. That said, we’ve lost to Utah State, Air Force, Boise State, Fresno State, Colorado State, Hawaii, Nevada and San Diego State within the past 15 years. There are circumstances around many of those losses but we aren’t guaranteed to kick ass.

I agree that we need to let go of any ACC pipe dream and that the Big 12 is unlikely to save us any time soon.

You’re right that we need to be building our case now. One could argue that if kicking ass is in the cards, our current deal with the MWC provides that opportunity.

For me, I think we have to ride out this football and basketball season before we evaluate the next step after that.

My only comment about “patience” is that $125 million in the hand is worth taking risks and holding off on other fronts.

You say that we should just join the MWC now and kick ass. Maybe we should. That said, we’ve lost to Utah State, Air Force, Boise State, Fresno State, Colorado State, Hawaii, Nevada and San Diego State within the past 15 years. There are circumstances around many of those losses but we aren’t guaranteed to kick ass.

I agree that we need to let go of any ACC pipe dream and that the Big 12 is unlikely to save us any time soon.

You’re right that we need to be building our case now. One could argue that if kicking ass is in the cards, our current deal with the MWC provides that opportunity.

For me, I think we have to ride out this football and basketball season before we evaluate the next step after that.
Glad someone agrees that the ACC is a pipe dream (which would be a nightmare anyway) and that the Big-12 ain't coming to the rescue.

So it begs the question - what are we waiting for? I disagree that we should wait until after the FB and especially the BB season to evaluate. By then we will have spent at least a third of our $125 million (FY 24 and FY 25 as I have documented several times), and will have had to lock into the WCC year 2 and MW year 2 affiliations. Further diminishing our bankroll as we earn no future NCAA BB credits and continue our shit media deal.

Be honest. WSU as a power 5 team in the future is a pipe dream.

What is the harm in dreaming?

Loyal, the merger or taking MWC schools is and will be on the table. I personally believe if that was the direction we were going, you'd hear more with regards to the "new look" Pac-12. What does OSU/WSU have to gain by "waiting" to rebuild the conference. Not much.

I ask myself why isn't their more motion on the Pac-12 rebuild? You can cynically assume that's because they are "dumb asses" or you can also assume that " some is cooking"....and I am in the something is cooking category. Again, I think it's after August 1st and maybe it's the Big-12 as if they (Big-12 were smart) they'd put a nail in the Pac-12 (by merging/absorbing) the assets and eliminating any future competition for schools.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Loyal, the merger or taking MWC schools is and will be on the table. I personally believe if that was the direction we were going, you'd hear more with regards to the "new look" Pac-12. What does OSU/WSU have to gain by "waiting" to rebuild the conference. Not much.

I ask myself why isn't their more motion on the Pac-12 rebuild? You can cynically assume that's because they are "dumb asses" or you can also assume that " some is cooking"....and I am in the something is cooking category. Again, I think it's after August 1st and maybe it's the Big-12 as if they (Big-12 were smart) they'd put a nail in the Pac-12 (by merging/absorbing) the assets and eliminating any future competition for schools.

Glass half full T-Town

Nice!

Flat, what are things WSU can do to replicate some of the booster and institutional support that has helped Kansas State flourish in some of the high-profile sports?

Seems like KSU would be a solid program for Anne McCoy to emulate the next few years

Did you miss the airport renovation that took years to complete? The airport now has a runway able to easily accommodate 737s.

Reactions: Cougini5591
Did you miss the airport renovation that took years to complete? The airport now has a runway able to easily accommodate 737s.
Uh yeah I am aware of the airport renovation. WTF did you think I was referring to? I am not sure about their ability to fly clear across the country from Pullman. Possible weight (fuel) issues maybe? I dunno.

Comments from Big-12 Commissioner 2 days ago:
"But during a press conference held this week, Yormark was also careful to note that the Big 12 is not actively seeking any new members right now.
But not looking for new schools? "No, I'm not," he said."

It's not in this article (link below), but I read elsewhere that despite a record distribution to members, the Big-12 schools actually each received less money due to the addition of the 4 schools this year. Look for that to happen again as those schools will (I assume) get a full share plus whatever the 4 traitors will get

Edit - article on the Big-12 teams actually getting less money this year due to realignment Part 1. For 24-25 the recent 4 will still get a smaller share, but the new traitors will get full shares.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meister_Rebel
Flat, what are things WSU can do to replicate some of the booster and institutional support that has helped Kansas State flourish in some of the high-profile sports?

Seems like KSU would be a solid program for Anne McCoy to emulate the next few years

Honestly, until 195 is improved to a four lane from Spokane all the way to Pullman and the bottleneck in Colfax is removed....WSU is competing with one hand behind it's back. KSU has 50,000+ fans at games because it's relatively easy to get to Manhattan. That's just a bigger base for ticket sales and donations.

Outside of that, KSU has much stronger support from the agricultural community than WSU has. Lots of farmers and ranchers donate a lot of money to KSU. One rancher family donated $60 million to KSU in 2014 and KSU alumni and donors routinely break $200 million in annual giving to the university overall. We need to embrace our rural roots more. WSU's biggest gift has been $20 million. Not chump change...but not $60 million.

Another thing that KSU did was to create an ICAT program....which means "I Contributed a Twenty". It conditioned students to give money to the university. Don't know if it was actually effective though. I don't know that there is any magic bullet, but one thing that is certain is that it's going to be a long process for anything to change.

Honestly, until 195 is improved to a four lane from Spokane all the way to Pullman and the bottleneck in Colfax is removed....WSU is competing with one hand behind it's back. KSU has 50,000+ fans at games because it's relatively easy to get to Manhattan. That's just a bigger base for ticket sales and donations.

Outside of that, KSU has much stronger support from the agricultural community than WSU has. Lots of farmers and ranchers donate a lot of money to KSU. One rancher family donated $60 million to KSU in 2014 and KSU alumni and donors routinely break $200 million in annual giving to the university overall. We need to embrace our rural roots more. WSU's biggest gift has been $20 million. Not chump change...but not $60 million.

Another thing that KSU did was to create an ICAT program....which means "I Contributed a Twenty". It conditioned students to give money to the university. Don't know if it was actually effective though. I don't know that there is any magic bullet, but one thing that is certain is that it's going to be a long process for anything to change.
Reality, not an excuse. If the U of Idaho was located in Boise instead of 8 miles away from WSU in Moscow, we would be able to attract some additional fans and $$$ from those due to proximity to the school. I think I have heard that WSU/UI is the closest that two major universities are to each other. Just our bad luck.

I don't really agree about 195. They could use, and have room for, more passing lanes, which would help a lot IMHO. But there is also the back way down Hwy 27, which a lot of fans use. Neither fixes the inevitable Colfax and then Pullman botlenecks. But do they REALLY slow traffic that much except for an hour or so before and after the games?

And bypassing Colfax would be great, but that will never happen. Logistically, with the river canyon on one side and a wide berth needed on the other, the cost and limited benefit would be prohibitive. It would help if these Colfax assholes would raise the speed limit above 25. And maybe call off the city, county and State Patrol police armada that preys on fans and students alike. Either way, the stretch from Colfax to Pullman is still a cluster. Not enough traffic the other 359 days a year to justify major, major renovations. There were plans many moons ago for a bypass near Pullman, and I forget exactly where it was to run. I think it was to bypass Pullman, so maybe of little help there.

Funny how every WSU Athletic administrator from Chun on down to the custodians brag(ged) on and on about their fantastic recent fundraising success, which I have yet to see actually appear on the bottom line. Smoke and mirrors if you ask this accountant. As far as WSU overall, they announced $167 million in "philanthropic activity" for fiscal 2023. Which of course includes Athletic giving.

Reality, not an excuse. If the U of Idaho was located in Boise instead of 8 miles away from WSU in Moscow, we would be able to attract some additional fans and $$$ from those due to proximity to the school. I think I have heard that WSU/UI is the closest that two major universities are to each other. Just our bad luck.
Maybe. But we can't even sell out the Idaho/WSU games. Moscow-ish people in general don't give a shit about WSU. Even many/most of the 40% (stat from my time there, don't know what the % is now) of WSU-Pullman employees that live in Idaho don't give a shit about WSU athletics. Or WSU for that matter.

Finish the f’ing North South Freeway in Spokane before dreaming about four lanes to benefit seven weekends per year to watch players who may or may not even get their degrees from old Wazzu.

Think there’s a couple in NC that are similar. Can’t recall if UNC/Duke or Wake but there’s several large universities within a stones throw.

Think there’s a couple in NC that are similar. Can’t recall if UNC/Duke or Wake but there’s several large universities within a stones throw.
NC to Duke - 47 miles
NC State to Duke - 24 miles
NC to NC State - 36 miles
NC State to Wake Forest - 21 miles

Reactions: Coug90
Comments from Big-12 Commissioner 2 days ago:
"But during a press conference held this week, Yormark was also careful to note that the Big 12 is not actively seeking any new members right now.
But not looking for new schools? "No, I'm not," he said."

It's not in this article (link below), but I read elsewhere that despite a record distribution to members, the Big-12 schools actually each received less money due to the addition of the 4 schools this year. Look for that to happen again as those schools will (I assume) get a full share plus whatever the 4 traitors will get

Edit - article on the Big-12 teams actually getting less money this year due to realignment Part 1. For 24-25 the recent 4 will still get a smaller share, but the new traitors will get full shares.

If the Big-12 is trying to say "we aren't expanding"....you might read into that a bit.....i don't think ESPN wanted the Big-12 to "blow up" the Pac-12, which is what they effectively did. Perhaps ESPN isn't going to sign off on adding more schools.

I contend, the ACC western division is the best possible opportunity for WSU. It will happen if ESPN wants it to happen.

If the Big-12 is trying to say "we aren't expanding"....you might read into that a bit.....i don't think ESPN wanted the Big-12 to "blow up" the Pac-12, which is what they effectively did. Perhaps ESPN isn't going to sign off on adding more schools.

I contend, the ACC western division is the best possible opportunity for WSU. It will happen if ESPN wants it to happen.
I do not believe that ESPN is the predominant player in the ACC at this point. Their games are all over the various networks if you look at ACC schedules.

And there is no talk of, nor will there ever be talk of beyond this Board, of an ACC West Coast pod. And why the F would ESPN even want one? With no TV eyeballs Stanford and Cal, and whatever low TV eyes programs that could be lured in? (aside from the Pac-2, which has been discussed - no one gave a shit about our better than half the Pac-12 eyeballs).

Honestly, the Hwy 195 excuse is really baseless. It might cost dozens of fans per game, at most. Let's not forget that the "full on" Spokane experiment failed -- Joe Albi. Playing games in Spokane makes perfect sense "on paper." Playing in a population center, easy interstate access, near an airport. 30 years of trying, but it completely failed. Chronically poorly attended games. So if Spokane is/was ambivalent to the Cougs even when playing in town, some highway improvements and driving 75 as opposed to 80 miles, 20 minutes faster, is going to change that? Had there was any evidence that "Spokane ease of access" is/was the answer to WSU's woes, we'd be playing there today on a full time basis in a state of the art football stadium that Bill Moo would have sold Spokane to build. It was studied in-depth and it was determined that it was financial loser.

NC to Duke - 47 miles
NC State to Duke - 24 miles
NC to NC State - 36 miles
NC State to Wake Forest - 21 miles

NC State to Wake Forest U is 104 miles as the school relocated from Wake Forest, NC to Winston-Salem in 1956.

LINK: Why Is Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem?

(I visited Wake's campus last weekend. The stadium is smaller than Martin (31.5k capacity), but is modern looking and well-maintained. You can tell the school has some money)

NC State to Wake Forest U is 104 miles as the school relocated from Wake Forest, NC to Winston-Salem in 1956.

LINK: Why Is Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem?

(I visited Wake's campus last weekend. The stadium is smaller than Martin (31.5k capacity), but is modern looking and well-maintained. You can tell the school has some money)
What? The internet lied to me? There is no God. Thanks for the correction Pete. :)

WSU needs to move on & make its own way. Raid the Mt. W est for the top 6 and get a TV deal and move on. Stay in a ‘western conference’ and make it the best G5 conference. It’s reality and makes sense.

Just hire Anne McCoy already, slash the athletic program to fit the new reality and move forward from there.

If ESPN/Fox/Apple/Youtube want WSU and OSU as power five teams, they would simply open their checkbooks and dictate to the conferences to shut up, make room, rewrite the schedules and cut a check.

Reactions: Observer11
WSU needs to move on & make its own way. Raid the Mt. W est for the top 6 and get a TV deal and move on. Stay in a ‘western conference’ and make it the best G5 conference. It’s reality and makes sense.
The scheduling agreement signed with the MWC makes it prohibitive for the Pac-2 to raid the conference for six teams unless you want to pay out the +$60 million. Then, which MWC teams can afford their exit fees of +$20-$40 million each. The scheduling agreement really ties things up. On one hand it gives you a schedule of games for 2024. On the other hand it's given the MWC protection from the Pac-2 poaching. The Pac-2 should forget about the MWC and look elsewhere for other teams to rebuild the conference. In the short term rebuild the Pac-12 by bringing in 6 more teams from elsewhere. After the scheduling agreement "dates" have expired then look to add individual MWC schools. I hope the Pac-12 will have a good media contract by then to make it attractive enough.

The scheduling agreement signed with the MWC makes it prohibitive for the Pac-2 to raid the conference for six teams unless you want to pay out the +$60 million. Then, which MWC teams can afford their exit fees of +$20-$40 million each. The scheduling agreement really ties things up. On one hand it gives you a schedule of games for 2024. On the other hand it's given the MWC protection from the Pac-2 poaching. The Pac-2 should forget about the MWC and look elsewhere for other teams to rebuild the conference. In the short term rebuild the Pac-12 by bringing in 6 more teams from elsewhere. After the scheduling agreement "dates" have expired then look to add individual MWC schools. I hope the Pac-12 will have a good media contract by then to make it attractive enough.
Hey who's side are you on? That said, thanks for illustrating the prohibitive cost of poaching part of the MWC. Yet it keeps coming up on this board.

Completely disagree with the idea of finding 6 (or however many) schools to rebuild the Pac-2. Who are we going to get? A far-flung batch of C-USA and AAC schools who, if any good, are biding their own time hoping for the far-away, if ever, ACC implosion? And create a lower profile assortment of schools that would be worse than taking the entire MW? No that is a non-starter.

Accept our fate, do the reverse merger with the entire Mtn West, save our money (which is dwindling by the day), and forge ahead.

That's a idea, I haven't thought of, primarily because how is that viable?

There is Memphis, Tulane, but they are in AAC, and wouldn't join unless ACC falls apart, and unless PAC has a slew of MWC teams in PAC.

USF in same boat as Memphis, Tulane, plus would need ACC left overs in PAC to have USF. and I don't see ACC leftovers wanting to join PAC, unless MWC teams, and Memphis, Tulane, etc, in PAC.

Only ones I see, is North Texas, UTSA, South Dakotah St, North Dakotah St, Appalachian St, Sacramento St, as the only ones good enough, and that would join a PAC 2, without MWC teams, ACC leftovers, Memphis, Tulane, etc.

Anyone lesser, wouldn't generate enough .media money to PAC, and CFP, bowl access, money, etc, would get worse, until PAC became WAC, Big West, Big Sky, and until MWC, WCC, AAC, etc, wouldn't want to join PAC.

Anyone greater, and would either have to have MWC teams, ACC leftovers, Memphis, Tulane, greater teams in PAC, etc.

So that really only leaves the following options.

A. Grab 4,5,6,7 MWC teams, pay the 60+ million, and help each team pay some of the 20 million per team exit fees(total cost of about 113 million out of 250 million.(Worth it if get the top 4,5,6,7 BEST MWC teams.)

B. Have the top 9 vote to dissolve the MWC, leave the bottom 3 of Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada behind, and join PAC 2. That, this option is completely free. ACC leftovers, and Memphis, Tulane, USF, etc, can join later.

C. ACC leftovers either join PAC along with Memphis, Tulane, USF, CAL, Stanford, SMU, and maybe 1,2,3,4 MWC teams join later, OR ACC leftovers rebuild by having WSU, OSU, others join ACC.

D. WSU, OSU, PAC 2 join Big 12. Unlikely option

E. WSU, OSU rebuild with North Texas, UTSA, Sac St, NDSU, South Dakotah St, Appalachian St. Unlikely option

F. Reverse Merger whole entire MWC into PAC 2, and get stuck with Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada, and 2,3,4 mil from CFP, 9 mil per team per year media deal, and no guaranteed CFP if finish 11-1, 12-0, as CFP could take AAC, etc, champ instead, and the Idaho Potato Head Champ bowl. Unlikely option

Just hire Anne McCoy already

Ann has gotten some support online from Cougar Nation to have the interim tag removed.

People feels like she "gets" WSU (unlike Chung) and won't spend half her time angling for another job.

Maybe Dr. Schulz will give Ann the full-time Director of Athletics/Associate VP job before he sails off into retirement as a show of gratitude for her loyalty?

Have the top 9 vote to dissolve the MWC, leave the bottom 3 of Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada behind, and join PAC 2. That, this option is completely free

If the Cougs and Beavs did that, would they lose the widespread sympathy and support they received after the other 10 schools unscrupulously deserted the Pac-12?

Could see Brand X or Jim Moore criticizing Dr. Schultz's integrity for such a maneuver

Ann has gotten some support online from Cougar Nation to have the interim tag removed.

People feels like she "gets" WSU (unlike Chung) and won't spend half her time angling for another job.

Maybe Dr. Schulz will give Ann the full-time Director of Athletics/Associate VP job before he sails off into retirement as a show of gratitude for her loyalty?
I have interreacted with Anne McCoy personally. I like Anne McCoy. Anne McCoy is a good person and great Coug. She was also either overlooked or not considered when we hired the last two AD's. She has sat in the same desk for over 20 years, after having been brought to WSU by Jim Sterk from Portland State to serve as the CFO (or whatever the equivalent was called back then). No one else has snatched her up, nor has her name ever been floated for another job. She served as interim after Sterk, but not after Moos.

Reading the job description (below), I don't think she meets the following required qualifications.
  • Progressive and highly relevant athletic administrative experience
  • Demonstrated success in supervising senior-level executives/staff,
  • Demonstrated fundraising success, as well as facility upgrades and enhancements.

Reactions: mikalalas
Only ones I see, is North Texas, UTSA, South Dakotah St, North Dakotah St, Appalachian St, Sacramento St, as the only ones good enough, and that would join a PAC 2, without MWC teams, ACC leftovers, Memphis, Tulane, etc.

Anyone lesser, wouldn't generate enough .media money to PAC, and CFP, bowl access, money, etc, would get worse, until PAC became Big Sky

C. ACC leftovers either join PAC along with Memphis, Tulane, USF, CAL, Stanford,

E. WSU, OSU rebuild with North Texas, UTSA, Sac St, NDSU, South Dakotah St, Appalachian St. Unlikely option

F. Reverse Merger whole entire MWC into PAC 2, and get stuck with Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada, and 2,3,4 mil from CFP, 9 mil per team per year media deal, and no guaranteed CFP if finish 11-1, 12-0, as CFP could take AAC, etc, champ instead, and the Idaho Potato Head Champ bowl. Unlikely option
Kinda losing me on this one Mik. 3 FCS teams are "good enough" (your words) to shore up the Pac-2?

Stanford ain't coming back in any of your scenarios. Or any scenario.

I kinda deleted your A and B, but it sounds as if you think taking 7 or 9 MW teams gives us a good chance at all these big things (CFP, Bowls, etc), but also taking the bottom 3 somehow eliminates those prospects? I respectfully disagree. While the B1G ans SEC bottom dwellers are better than the MW bottom dwellers, they do have them. And the Big-12 just added several. ACC does too. And of course since WSU is dead last among current P5 schools in revenues, we could be argued to be the bottomest bottom dweller of any of those conferences.

Hey who's side are you on? That said, thanks for illustrating the prohibitive cost of poaching part of the MWC. Yet it keeps coming up on this board.

Completely disagree with the idea of finding 6 (or however many) schools to rebuild the Pac-2. Who are we going to get? A far-flung batch of C-USA and AAC schools who, if any good, are biding their own time hoping for the far-away, if ever, ACC implosion? And create a lower profile assortment of schools that would be worse than taking the entire MW? No that is a non-starter.

Accept our fate, do the reverse merger with the entire Mtn West, save our money (which is dwindling by the day), and forge ahead.
Sometimes a little brain exercise is needed so that one looks carefully at what it means to rebuild the Pac-12. The pickings are slim if you want to compete as a West Coast based conference with Western based schools outside of the MWC. The merger really is the easiest and most cost friendly option available and you will get some good competition with the least amount of travel expenses. But, some people have a hard time seeing it. The thing here is that once we merge who says it has to be a permanent thing for OSU or WSU. The ACC or B12 may some day give you another look when they need to expand. BYu, TCU, and Utah all started in the MWC and have moved on. If you keep all your money just think how easy it will be to pay whatever exit fees are then on the table.

If the Cougs and Beavs did that, would they lose the widespread sympathy and support they received after the other 10 schools unscrupulously deserted the Pac-12?

Could see Brand X or Jim Moore criticizing Dr. Schultz's integrity for such a maneuver

Pete, as long as the PAC rebuilds by taking either 5,6,7, or the top 9 option, and maybe, might semi probably either gets ACC left overs, Memphis, Tulane, USF, etc, and gets ABOUT 15 to 17 to 19 to 21 mil per team per year media deal, and the ABOUT 4 to 6 to 8 mil it would get from CFP, and had 1 January Bowl, and 1 semi guaranteed 1 of 12 CFP spots to Champ, if Champ finishes at least 9-3, 10-2, 11-1, and got all that CFP, Bowl money, kept it's NCAA tourny Units, etc, in other words, as long as keep, get the CFP, Better Bowls, Better, More Money, etc, THEN I DONT GIVE A DAM WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS, AND NEITHER SHOULD ANYONE ELSE, AND NEITHER SHOULD WSU, OSU, PAC 2, AND WSU, OSU, PAC 2, ETC, LEADERSHIP CARE WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS, AS LONG AS GET THE BETTER CFP, BETTER BOWLS, BETTER, MORE MONEY, ETC.

Kinda losing me on this one Mik. 3 FCS teams are "good enough" (your words) to shore up the Pac-2?

Stanford ain't coming back in any of your scenarios. Or any scenario.

I kinda deleted your A and B, but it sounds as if you think taking 7 or 9 MW teams gives us a good chance at all these big things (CFP, Bowls, etc), but also taking the bottom 3 somehow eliminates those prospects? I respectfully disagree. While the B1G ans SEC bottom dwellers are better than the MW bottom dwellers, they do have them. And the Big-12 just added several. ACC does too. And of course since WSU is dead last among current P5 schools in revenues, we could be argued to be the bottomest bottom dweller of any of those conferences.

1. 2 of those 3 FCS teams just so happen to be the CONSISTENTLY the BEST FCS TEAMS OUT OF ALL THE FCS TEAMS IN NATION, year in, year out.

2. Those 2 FCS teams do things like Semi Consistently, semi occasionally beating the Non WSU, Vandy, etc, types, and beating the Wisconsin types.

3. Those 2 FCS teams would do just fine in the MWC, AAC, and would be a WSU, Vandy, Iowa St, Northwestern, etc, type, in a P4 conference.

4. Because of all the above, those 2 FCS teams would be a worthy inclusion in PAC 2, IF IF not get better like BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV, CSU, Utah St, Tulane, Memphis, USF, etc.

5. Sac St, while not best, and only as a EMERGENCY MEASURE, IF IF not going to get better, Sac St is better then most, equal to an or better then EWU, Montana, Idaho, etc, and unlike most FCS, is in a BIG Sacramento capital city in California, and like Fresno St, SDSU, give a IN to California recruiting, and if Sacramento St, were to join PAC as a emergency measure, would in time do well in a G5, MWC, AAC, a rebuilt PAC, a rebuilt ACC leftovers, and in time would generate enough money to be worth inclusion, as a emergency measure.

Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada are beyond bad. They would drag down the value of the PAC.

You compare them to the bottom dwellers of other conferences, and to WSU being the ex bottom dweller of PAC 12, back when the PAC 12, had 12, and that's semi fair comparison in some ways.

But those other conferences have such good teams, power, prestige, etc, that having those couple, few bottom dwellers won't hurt them, won't drag them down, etc.

The PAC 2/12 is no longer like those conferences, in that if it has as bad as Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada, that will hurt, drag the PAC 12/2/X down, lower value, lower money get, etc.

If If PAC gets either the top 5,6,7, 9 MWC teams, and then if gets Memphis, Tulane, and if then gets ACC leftovers, an or joins, merges with ACC leftovers, to rebuild PAC, ACC, into 1 conference, that conference, would probably get ABOUT 16 ish to 18 to 20 to 22 to 24 to 26 ish, mil per team, per year media deal, and 1 of 12 CFP spot, if Champ finishes at least 9-3, 10-2, 11-1, and wouldn't be denied a CFP spot, if AAC Champ, etc, goes 12-0, 11-1, and would get ABOUT 4 to 6 to 8 mil per year from CFP, and would get a January Bowl like Insight Bowl, Gator Bowl, etc, that pays out millions, equal to, more then the former PAC 12 bowls(Alamo, etc), and 1 of Rosebowl, Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Peach, Fiesta, as 5 of those 6 would be used for 12 team play off, and 1 of those would be left over, and would goto the Champ, if 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, and if didn't get into CFP 12, and better Bowl access and money, at least better then the bowl access, money, etc, if the whole entire MWC, and Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada, joined PAC, and if then ACC leftovers, Memphis, Tulane, didn't want to either join, merge with a PAC that had Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada, and ACC left overs, Memphis, Tulane, etc, would not want to join, merge with a PAC that had Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada.

If whole entire MWC joins PAC, then ABOUT 9 to 11 mil per team, per year media deal, 1.8 to 3.5 mil per year from CFP, and the Idaho Potato Head conference champ Bowl, less Bowl money, worse bowls, a 11-1, 12-0 AAC beating out a 11-1, 12-0 PAC champ for 1 of 12 CFP spot, and if that happen, PAC champ gets no CFP spot.

Also it doesn't matter that, if the bottom 3 are comparable to WSU, etc, as in the college football world you do what is necessary, legal, rule following, etc, to survive, get better CFP, better bowls, better, more money, etc, whether like it or not.

If If PAC gets either the top 5,6,7, 9 MWC teams, and then if gets Memphis, Tulane, and if then gets ACC leftovers, an or joins, merges with ACC leftovers, to rebuild PAC, ACC, into 1 conference, that conference, would probably get ABOUT 16 ish to 18 to 20 to 22 to 24 to 26 ish, mil per team, per year media deal, and 1 of 12 CFP spot, if Champ finishes at least 9-3, 10-2, 11-1, and wouldn't be denied a CFP spot, if AAC Champ, etc, goes 12-0, 11-1, and would get ABOUT 4 to 6 to 8 mil per year from CFP, and would get a January Bowl like Insight Bowl, Gator Bowl, etc, that pays out millions, equal to, more then the former PAC 12 bowls(Alamo, etc), and 1 of Rosebowl, Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Peach, Fiesta, as 5 of those 6 would be used for 12 team play off, and 1 of those would be left over, and would goto the Champ, if 8-4, 9-3, 10-2, and if didn't get into CFP 12, and better Bowl access and money, at least better then the bowl access, money, etc, if the whole entire MWC, and Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada, joined PAC, and if then ACC leftovers, Memphis, Tulane, didn't want to either join, merge with a PAC that had Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada, and ACC left overs, Memphis, Tulane, etc, would not want to join, merge with a PAC that had Hawai, New Mexico, Nevada.
That has to be the longest sentence in the history of the written word. And all 6 of the above-mentioned major bowls are part of the CFP. There is no one "left over".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT