ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Williams Reports that ACC has contigency deal, offer on standby with, for PAC 2, Greg Swaime says B12 can invite PAC 2 in future.

mikalalas

Hall Of Fame
Feb 26, 2007
The reason I am posting this, is because a couple, few, some here(Loyal, etc), don't think that WSU, OSU, PAC 2, would, will join the ACC, B12, or do a best of G5, coast to coast conference, or merge with ACC, etc, and that it's BS, Hogwash, haven't seen it anywhere, etc.

What they don't get is that this smoke, rumors, etc, has been all over the internet, twitter, Instagram, streams, podcast, and that semi credible, credible, semi non credible sources alike, some of these are Canzano, Wilner, Greg Swaime, Jim Williams, Various LOCKED ON streams, etc, have either at least semi credible semi professional opinions, rumors, insider reports, sources, logic, reason, facts, extrapolation, analysis, projection, etc.

Just because a couple, few, some here(Loyal), haven't heard, found these and other sources, doesn't mean these things won't happen. Where there is Smoke, there can OFTEN BE FIRE.

Before the PAC 12 disintegrated, there were all kinds of unsubstantiated rumors, etc, flying around, and 1,2,3,etc, around here said it wouldn't, couldn't happen, that they hadn't seen, found stuff about it, until others posted the sources.

If some(Loyal, others, etc), continue to dispute, I'm sure that between all of us we could spam, post a flood of links, copy, paste, etc, to podcast, websites, articles, stories, columns, streams, etc, hundreds of various sources, etc, if we wanted to waste our time doing so.

I just happened to accidentally stumble into this, these sources.

I didn't have time to try to figure out how to share the link to the article, but I did copy, paste directly from the article the portion that applies.

Here is the copy, paste.

"Longtime college football radio host Greg Swaim hinted that the Big 12 can come calling with invites for the Pac-2 at some point.

"Good news coming soon for those of us who believe that (Oregon State) and (Wazzu) belong in the Big 12," tweeted Swaim.

Meanwile, PressBox DC's Jim Williams reported that the ACC would look to include Oregon State and Wazzu in a contingency plan with Memphis, Tulane, USF, and UConn if/when FSU, Clemson, UNC, and Louisville leave. With that said, whether or not the ACC would remain a Power conference in this situation is up for debate."

Last edited:
Canzono repeating yesterday Superconference is inevitable with regional scheduling.

PAC 12-18 ( depending on final composition) will become the “West coast” division and will include most old p-12 schools along with top 4-5 from MWC

Fwiw

The reason I am posting this, is because a couple, few, some here(Loyal, etc), don't think that WSU, OSU, PAC 2, would, will join the ACC, B12, or do a best of G5, coast to coast conference, or merge with ACC, etc, and that it's BS, Hogwash, haven't seen it anywhere, etc.

What they don't get is that this smoke, rumors, etc, has been all over the internet, twitter, Instagram, streams, podcast, and that semi credible, credible, semi non credible sources alike, some of these are Canzano, Wilner, Greg Swaime, Jim Williams, Various LOCKED ON streams, etc, have either at least semi credible semi professional opinions, rumors, insider reports, sources, logic, reason, facts, extrapolation, analysis, projection, etc.

Just because a couple, few, some here(Loyal), haven't heard, found these and other sources, doesn't mean these things won't happen. Where there is Smoke, there can OFTEN BE FIRE.

Before the PAC 12 disintegrated, there were all kinds of unsubstantiated rumors, etc, flying around, and 1,2,3,etc, around here said it wouldn't, couldn't happen, that they hadn't seen, found stuff about it, until others posted the sources.

If some(Loyal, others, etc), continue to dispute, I'm sure that between all of us we could spam, post a flood of links, copy, paste, etc, to podcast, websites, articles, stories, columns, streams, etc, hundreds of various sources, etc, if we wanted to waste our time doing so.

I didn't have time to try to figure out how to share the link to the article, but I did copy, paste directly from the article the portion that applies.

Here is the copy, paste.

"Longtime college football radio host Greg Swaim hinted that the Big 12 can come calling with invites for the Pac-2 at some point.

"Good news coming soon for those of us who believe that (Oregon State) and (Wazzu) belong in the Big 12," tweeted Swaim.

Meanwile, PressBox DC's Jim Williams reported that the ACC would look to include Oregon State and Wazzu in a contingency plan with Memphis, Tulane, USF, and UConn if/when FSU, Clemson, UNC, and Louisville leave. With that said, whether or not the ACC would remain a Power conference in this situation is up for debate."
MIk -
We agree. The Pac-12 collapse showed that their were sources placing this information with certain Twitter sources to get messages out there. Swaim, has questionable credibility, so giving him a nugget of info isn't going to draw a media firestorm.

The reason why the Big-12 could take shape is Fox likely doesn't want ESPN in the picture long-term. I think you can signal the fact that Fox picked up some Pac-12 games as interest in the west coast, WSU and OSU. Fox would love to broadcast the Pullman games for the Apple Cup and Civil war in Corvallis. Those are big ratings. Critics might say, Fox blew up the Pac-12, but that is water under the bridge. Big-10 wasn't going to take WSU or OSU w/o AAU status, so now we should be looking for the next best option.

Reactions: mikalalas

Here is the copy, paste.

Sure Mik. When ESPN or an actual legitimate news source publishes these stories let us know so we can read them. The only semi-recent ESPN story on any of this was the SEC Commissioner calling these superconference rumors bullshit and a non-starter (I paraphrase here).

I did read another story recently that discusses what the ACC might look like IN 2036 when their grant of rights expires. Sooo, that's just around the corner, eh? We better wait for that to happen.

Meantime, I will scour the internet to try to locate some of these "hundreds" of various sources" that you refer to. Except that I don't do X/Twitter. Or Instagram, or any of that shit. Anyone with a keyboard can express their opinion.

Edit: Wait Mik, I found what appears to be the most recent blather from Jim Williams - the ACC will not break up. March 21, 2024:

Last edited:
Sure Mik. When ESPN or an actual legitimate news source publishes these stories let us know so we can read them. The only semi-recent ESPN story on any of this was the SEC Commissioner calling these superconference rumors bullshit and a non-starter (I paraphrase here).

I did read another story recently that discusses what the ACC might look like IN 2036 when their grant of rights expires. Sooo, that's just around the corner, eh? We better wait for that to happen.

Meantime, I will scour the internet to try to locate some of these "hundreds" of various sources" that you refer to. Except that I don't do X/Twitter. Or Instagram, or any of that shit. Anyone with a keyboard can express their opinion.

Not any Ole Joe Smoe with a keyboard is as credible as these Pundits, Experts, Canzano, Wilner, Jim Williams, Swaime, LOCKED ON, etc.

And before ESPN, said anything, a lot of these sources, were saying that the PAC was doomed, etc.

Something does not have to come from ESPN, Rivals, 247, SI, CBS, etc, to be true, etc.

Whether you agree or not, it's all over the internet, social media, radio, podcast, all over the country, etc, that there is GREAT RISK, probably about 59% to 67%+ chance that in about 1,2,3 years or less, that FSU, Clemson, Virginia, Miami, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Pitt, North Carolina, Duke, leave ACC to the 3 of SEC, Big 10, B12, and that the remaining 3,4,5,6,7 teams will rebuild with Memphis, Tulane, USF, UConn, WSU, OSU, MWC teams, or merge with PAC 2, some MWC teams, etc.

That's being bandied about, talked about all over the country by MILLIONS of sports fans, pundits, experts, etc.

All that smoke hasn't been pulled out of those millions of butt's. There is something legit, credible, logical, reasonable, clues, hints, interpretation, analysis, extrapolation, etc, of facts, insider sources, etc, behind all that Smoke.

So continue to be like Baghdad Bob, "They are not going to invade Iraq", as US Troops do bunny ears behind his head, or "Those teams are not going to leave the PAC 12, it's just rumors, opinion, innuendo,etc"

Edit: Wait Mik, I found what appears to be the most recent blather from Jim Williams - the ACC will not break up. March 21, 2024:

He or the story said MAY(as in might or might not happen), not break up.

Also that was in MARCH, and things can change very quickly, as evidenced how fast the PAC 12 fell apart, went from were going to sign, do this deal, stay together, to the 10 leaving in days.

He also reported, as I have copy, pasted, from sources, just very recently, semi newish, that the ACC has a contingency plan for what they will do if the ACC breaks up, and what that plan is.

They wouldn't have such a contingency plan, if it was not at least semi likely to happen, etc, and Jim Williams is probably not pulling that out of his azz. And Pressbox DC is semi probably at least a semi credible source. Remember the source doesn't have to be ESPN, CBS, as a lot of no namer sources, have reported true sports stories, news, etc, that weren't announced by ESPN, CBS, etc.

If Big-12 is playing chess, they should be, you have to look at a solid ACC west as a threat.

WSU, OSU, Cal and Stanford, plus say SDSU...that's a solid base. You wait to pluck Utah, ASU and UA when the Big-12 TV deal is up. The Big-12 has a lot of lose if that were to happen.

Personally, I'd rather see the Cougs be in the ACC west with games against teams on the east coast. I think V-Tech in Pullman and us there would be pretty cool.

If Big-12 is playing chess, they should be, you have to look at a solid ACC west as a threat.

WSU, OSU, Cal and Stanford, plus say SDSU...that's a solid base. You wait to pluck Utah, ASU and UA when the Big-12 TV deal is up. The Big-12 has a lot of lose if that were to happen.

Personally, I'd rather see the Cougs be in the ACC west with games against teams on the east coast. I think V-Tech in Pullman and us there would be pretty cool.
Are you and Mik eating the same hallucinogens? Pluck the 4 corner traitors when their media deal is up. In 2031? And Stanford will NEVER be back.

Colorado over SDSU, IMO. If Colorado has proven anything it's that it will jump conferences every TV deal.

Are you and Mik eating the same hallucinogens? Pluck the 4 corner traitors when their media deal is up. In 2031? And Stanford will NEVER be back.

Stanford is in the ACC. The concept is the Cougs and Beavs to the ACC to form a western POD or division. Stanford is not "going back" they are already "there."

With respect to the traitors, business is business. WSU needs to associate with better company so to speak and if adding those schools to a conference gets us more cash, do it in a heartbeat.

Stanford is in the ACC. The concept is the Cougs and Beavs to the ACC to form a western POD or division. Stanford is not "going back" they are already "there."

With respect to the traitors, business is business. WSU needs to associate with better company so to speak and if adding those schools to a conference gets us more cash, do it in a heartbeat.
So what would be the impact of the Pac-2 schools moving to another conference, by timeline?

I don't subscribe to the Mercury news, which has had a couple of semi-recent articles which I can't see anymore. Maybe someone with access can copy/paste the numbers. See link below:

Our approx. $250 million is $65M from the traitors, and $50M/year from the Rose bowl for FY 25 and 26. That's $165M. Is the other $85M all NCAA basketball revenue, or is there another chunk somewhere?

I believe that it is about $30M in years 3-6 in BB allocations. We all know that this goes away (or 10/12 of it) if the P-2 disbands. So with FY25 basically set - what happens if we jump for FY26? We lose Year 2 of the BB allocation, but what about the $50M in Rose Bowl money for that year? Out the window as well? And whatever other chunk I'm missing? A little piece of that is the several million/year we wrangled out of the CFP money.

What's the point? You all talk about these big paydays we can get by jumping to another conference. Ok, but at what cost?

So what would be the impact of the Pac-2 schools moving to another conference, by timeline?

I don't subscribe to the Mercury news, which has had a couple of semi-recent articles which I can't see anymore. Maybe someone with access can copy/paste the numbers. See link below:

Our approx. $250 million is $65M from the traitors, and $50M/year from the Rose bowl for FY 25 and 26. That's $165M. Is the other $85M all NCAA basketball revenue, or is there another chunk somewhere?

I believe that it is about $30M in years 3-6 in BB allocations. We all know that this goes away (or 10/12 of it) if the P-2 disbands. So with FY25 basically set - what happens if we jump for FY26? We lose Year 2 of the BB allocation, but what about the $50M in Rose Bowl money for that year? Out the window as well? And whatever other chunk I'm missing? A little piece of that is the several million/year we wrangled out of the CFP money.

What's the point? You all talk about these big paydays we can get by jumping to another conference. Ok, but at what cost?

If the PAC 2 Merges with the ACC, and 2 conferences become one conference, the ACC, PAC 2 DON'T lose their media, Bowl, NCAA tourney money. Why? Because your technically not dissolving the conference, as your just adding teams, and changing the conference brand name.

MERGING 2 conferences, is different then dissolving, ending a conference, and different then if only WSU alone, not OSU, were to join the ACC.

Part of the attraction of the ACC taking WSU, OSU, is that if they do it right and MERGE conferences, they get a piece, share of the PAC 2's 250 million, Bowl, CFP, NCAA tourney, etc, money. And the PAC 2 would obviously share in the ACC money.

So the PAC 2, WSU, OSU would not lose the PAC 2 money in a MERGE.

Now if WSU, OSU were dumb enough to DISSOLVE the PAC 12, 2, and THEN join the ACC, THEN WSU, OSU, would lose the PAC 12, 2, money, 250 million.

But WSU, OSU, ACC, are not that dumb, so if ACC takes the PAC 2, it will be as a MERGER.

If the PAC 2 Merges with the ACC, and 2 conferences become one conference, the ACC, PAC 2 DON'T lose their media, Bowl, NCAA tourney money. Why? Because your technically not dissolving the conference, as your just adding teams, and changing the conference brand name.

MERGING 2 conferences, is different then dissolving, ending a conference, and different then if only WSU alone, not OSU, were to join the ACC.

Part of the attraction of the ACC taking WSU, OSU, is that if they do it right and MERGE conferences, they get a piece, share of the PAC 2's 250 million, Bowl, CFP, NCAA tourney, etc, money. And the PAC 2 would obviously share in the ACC money.

So the PAC 2, WSU, OSU would not lose the PAC 2 money in a MERGE.

Now if WSU, OSU were dumb enough to DISSOLVE the PAC 12, 2, and THEN join the ACC, THEN WSU, OSU, would lose the PAC 12, 2, money, 250 million.

But WSU, OSU, ACC, are not that dumb, so if ACC takes the PAC 2, it will be as a MERGER.
Mik, thank you for posting what is undoubtedly the dumbest, most incoherent and ridiculous post ever on this site. You have no f-ing idea what you are talking about. On any subject, for what it is worth.

So the PAC 2, WSU, OSU would not lose the PAC 2 money in a MERGE

Mik, thank you for posting what is undoubtedly the dumbest, most incoherent and ridiculous post ever on this site. You have no f-ing idea what you are talking about. On any subject, for what it is worth.

Mik and Loyal:

Quick question. Since both of you are numbers guys, can you clarify whether the Cougs and Beavs earn $250M each or $250M combined ($125M each) from the Pac-12 divorce?

Is there a chance for that settlement to grow depending on what happens with the Rose Bowl, NCAA Tournament units, etcetera?

Mik and Loyal:

Quick question. Since both of you are numbers guys, can you clarify whether the Cougs and Beavs earn $250M each or $250M combined ($125M each) from the Pac-12 divorce?

Is there a chance for that settlement to grow depending on what happens with the Rose Bowl, NCAA Tournament units, etcetera?

It's what's in the coffers to run the conference. What we "earn" is TBD.

The assumption is the 250M will go in a large part to buy-out MWC teams if we indeed go with the "rebuild" route.

I know Loyal doesn't believe it, but the ACC west is a very likely scenario WHEN (not if) FSU/Clemson bolt. The ACC or Big-12 move would be in the form of a merger, so a big portion of the $250M would come with WSU/OSU.

Mik and Loyal:

Pete - it is approx. $250M total, not each. C'mon, pay attention. And Mik is not a numbers guy. And no the settlement will not grow, but it could shrink. Which is why in post #12 in this this thread, I had/have hoped that someone could bring up the numbers from the semi-recent Mercury News article which if I recall fully detailed the components of the settlement, including our NCAA units.

The Rose Bowl's association with the Pac-12/2 is done after the 2025 season (FY 2026). In our affiliate agreement with the WCC, WSU does not share in any NCAA units generated by that league, even if we earn them by making the tournament.

It's what's in the coffers to run the conference. What we "earn" is TBD.

The assumption is the 250M will go in a large part to buy-out MWC teams if we indeed go with the "rebuild" route.

I know Loyal doesn't believe it, but the ACC west is a very likely scenario WHEN (not if) FSU/Clemson bolt. The ACC or Big-12 move would be in the form of a merger, so a big portion of the $250M would come with WSU/OSU.
Just missed this post while I was typing. Just what leads you to believe the Pac-2 would "merge" with the Big-12 or ACC? There would not be a merger. The Pac-2 would cease to exist, which is why I am curious as to whether we would lose the FY 2026 Rose Bowl money if we joined another conference in that year.

Of the $250M, we are already getting $65M this fiscal year. FY 2025 is set, so we will get the $50M in Rose Bowl money, plus our 1/6 NCAA BB allocation (6-year payout, recall). So that is well over 1/2 of the $250M. If we join (not merge) with another conference, the remaining years of NCAA BB payouts apparently re-vest with the current Pac-12 members, so no it doesn't come with us. I am not certain of exactly how that would work. The FY 26 Rose Bowl payout if we joined another conference? Don't know, thus the question. Oh and the 2-year "Pac-12" FCS allocation is in there as well. FY 2025, in the bag. FY 2026? Remains to be seen.

The "ACC West" scenario has been floated in many places. Uh well, many places on Wazzu Watch and from what I've seen exactly NOWHERE other than that. If I am wrong, please provide links and I will gladly eat crow.

Just missed this post while I was typing. Just what leads you to believe the Pac-2 would "merge" with the Big-12 or ACC? There would not be a merger. The Pac-2 would cease to exist, which is why I am curious as to whether we would lose the FY 2026 Rose Bowl money if we joined another conference in that year.

Of the $250M, we are already getting $65M this fiscal year. FY 2025 is set, so we will get the $50M in Rose Bowl money, plus our 1/6 NCAA BB allocation (6-year payout, recall). So that is well over 1/2 of the $250M. If we join (not merge) with another conference, the remaining years of NCAA BB payouts apparently re-vest with the current Pac-12 members, so no it doesn't come with us. I am not certain of exactly how that would work. The FY 26 Rose Bowl payout if we joined another conference? Don't know, thus the question. Oh and the 2-year "Pac-12" FCS allocation is in there as well. FY 2025, in the bag. FY 2026? Remains to be seen.

The "ACC West" scenario has been floated in many places. Uh well, many places on Wazzu Watch and from what I've seen exactly NOWHERE other than that. If I am wrong, please provide links and I will gladly eat crow.
Loyal, only the twitter rumors are discussing this. Just because ESPN isn't reporting it, it doesn't mean the scenario isn't being considered.

The "merger" concept was discussed a while back as I think the Big East or someone did this to keep the NCAA credits for basketball, etc. from going away from the conference.

The Pac-12 conference would not exist, but the name could be used to describe a division of a broader conference affiliation.

The biggest question you have to ask is: do Stanford and Cal want to travel all across the country in their new ACC conference? No. Would Cal/Stanford welcome old conference mates WSU, OSU and others into a western division to help decrease travel? Yes.

I whole heartedly agree the Pac-12 is done. It's either the new MWC or it gets merged (absorbed) by the Big-12 or the ACC to grab the remaining assets.

The other speculation is timing: WSU and OSU need all the other 10 schools to leave, formerly exit, so they don't try to make some claim at the assets. Right now, it's believed WSU/OSU need all the assets to rebuild the conference. Once the 10 schools leave, we can do whatever the yell we want.

Patience....something is up. We should be WAY MORE aggressive with trying to build out Pac-12 rebuild, but we aren't. This signals something.

The ACC Conference is not going to fall apart because they are too big with 18 schools.

The Big 12 almost fell apart but the Pac 12 was the Conference that collapsed. The reason was both Conferences were too small (10-12 schools) and subject to a raid. That was the same reason that the Big East Football Conference fell apart ( 8 football schools in conference).

When Texas and Oklahoma left the BIG 12 the Conference was expected to fall apart. However, they picked up 4 PAC schools which when combined have state population gain of only 16 million. Additionally, the Big 12 had to take in 4 AAC schools to survive.

The ACC has 2 schools (FSU and Clemson) wanting to leave the Conference. I personally don't care if they leave provided they give money (GOR settlement) to the ACC for their departure. I believe that ESPN also joined the suit with the ACC against FSU and Clemson. The lawsuit will be adjudicated in North Carolina I believe. Pay the money and you can leave. If FSU and Clemson leave they will become little fish in their New Conference (IMO).

Remember ABC/ESPN have exclusive contracts with the SEC and ACC and both Conferences have ESPN TV Networks SECN and ACCN (Big 12 does not have their own network).

If the ACC Conference would collapse, ESPN would lose most of their network broad cast content to FOX and only have the SEC.

No ACC team will be leaving the Conference to go to the Big 12. If necessary the ACC would go to the Big 12 to refill any defections. I would like to see the ACC get Washington State and Oregon State (Both P-5 Schools) to get a Western Pod like the B1G.

No one knows how this will all play out at the moment but you can suspect that ABC/ESPN is in discussions with the ACC Conference and will result in outcomes that will be financially beneficial for both parties.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT