ADVERTISEMENT

Brennan Jackson and Ron Stone Jr.

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island

Sixth-year edge rushers Ron Stone Jr., Brennan Jackson look to leave WSU in style​

Scott Hanson
Aug. 30, 2023 at 6:00 am Updated Aug. 30, 2023 at 6:00 am
By
Seattle Times staff reporter
PULLMAN — It seems only fitting that Brennan Jackson and Ron Stone Jr. are going out as Cougars together.

The two sixth-year edge rushers for Washington State are two of the best defensive players in the Pac-12, great friends, excellent students and the leaders of the WSU defense.

“They came here as underdeveloped skinny kids, and they’ve developed into some of the best men you’d ever want to be around,” WSU coach Jake Dickert said. “Both have their degrees; both are going to be wildly successful when football’s over and they also are some of our hardest workers. It sets a culture within your program, and you’re just so fired up to have those guys with you.”

Not only are they very good friends, they also live together. But here is something that most Cougar fans probably don’t know:

“We actually butted heads a lot when we first got here,” Jackson said.

Jackson, from Temecula, Calif., got off to a rough start at WSU, playing in just two games his first two seasons after redshirting his first season, then getting injured.

Stone, whose father played 12 years in the NFL as an offensive tackle, made an impact in his second season, playing in all 13 games and starting in two of them.

Washington State edge rusher Ron Stone Jr.  (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Washington State edge rusher Ron Stone Jr. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)
“In the beginning, he was playing and I was hurt so there was a little bit of hidden animosity there,” Jackson said. “But after we’ve had hardships together, gone through coaches together and have been here the longest, you start to understand, you see eye to eye on things. It’s awesome to see that relationship unfold the way it has, and I feel like he’s a great friend.”

Stone said his father, who coached him until college, was the reason he started playing football growing up in San Jose, Calif. He said it was important for him, as the only boy in the family, to continue his father’s legacy.

Stone, who weighs 79 pounds less than his father’s playing weight of 325, said he still gets football advice from his father.

“He’s big on setting up things with power, playing the physical game before you play the finesse game and understanding what the offensive linemen are trying to do in their schemes,” Stone said.

Stone plays with power and quickness, and became a star in 2021, earning All-Pac-12 honors after making 63 tackles, including 11.5 for loss of yards and five sacks.

He was named second-team All-Pac-12 last year after finishing second in the conference in quarterback hits, but his tackles (34), tackles for loss (four) and sacks (two) were down, so he decided to come back for a sixth and final season.

“I think there was just a lot of expectations for myself, and I was dealing with other things and I wasn’t playing to the best of my ability,” Stone said. “I really like where I’m at [this season]. I like where this team is. I like the people that are around me. I’m really thankful to be in the position that I am in.”

Jackson was ready to leave after his second year in Pullman, having played so little.

“I thought I was going be done,” he said. “I was really questioning if I wanted to keep going with it because obviously it is very hard when you have two years like that. But something kept me here.”

Washington State edge rusher Brennan Jackson.  (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)

Washington State edge rusher Brennan Jackson. (Dean Rutz / The Seattle Times)
That something was his mother, Amy.

“Every time I’ve gone through any hard thing in my life, my mom has always been there to keep me on the right path,” Jackson said. “We had a lot of hard conversations. It’s tough being far from home, but she knew this was the place for me. And when I was going through those hard times, she just kept me straight.”

Jackson said he is happy he stuck it out, and the Cougars are, too. He became a starter in 2020 during the COVID-shortened season. He was honorable mention all-Pac-12 in 2021 after having 46 tackles including six tackles for loss and four sacks.

Jackson, who at 6 feet 4 and 264 pounds is easy to spot on the field, took another step forward last season. He was named second-team all-conference after tying for fifth in the Pac-12 in tackles for loss (12) and sacks (six).

He has also excelled in school. After getting his bachelor’s degree in business administration, he is on track to get his MBA in the spring.

“The education for me is the coolest thing because that was the main focus when I got here,” said Jackson, who was a 4.0 student in high school.

Stone received his degree in communications and would like to get into broadcasting when his playing days are over.

Both have aspirations of playing in the NFL, but they are laser focused now on making the most of their final college season.

“I think there’s a newfound focus, because there’s not going to be a next year,” Jackson said. “On the appreciation front, I definitely have a lot more gratitude for the people in this building who don’t get the credit they deserve, from the custodial people who come in every night to make sure this place is flawless to the media department that sets up all this, to the coaches putting in long hours.

Sponsored​

“There’s just so much that goes into making this all possible and now having done it for six years, I’m really just appreciating all that goes into it.”

Dickert is very appreciative that the two came back for a sixth season and said he will use them as examples for others for many years.

“They get a chance to finish what they started,” Dickert said. “They have goals and dreams and aspirations. So we’ve got to make sure we’re taking care of them, so they also trust us that we’re putting them in the best positions to have one heck of a senior year.”

Scott Hanson: shanson@seattletimes.com; on Twitter: @shansonseatimes.

They both need big seasons. Too many times last year there was zero pass rush. Too many times last year wayyy too many yards given up.

The new DC needs to get the defense together fast.

Reactions: LeachPack
Pretty impressive both of them came back for their last year this day and age. If you’re gonna make a run you need this kind of leadership on the field.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Offense has a lot of solid skill players, and could put up a lot of points, he question how much the OL has improved. On defense they have some nice pieces, the question on this side is, can the D coaches find a way to put them together to cover the deficiencies.

Offense has a lot of solid skill players, and could put up a lot of points, he question how much the OL has improved. On defense they have some nice pieces, the question on this side is, can the D coaches find a way to put them together to cover the deficiencies.

Disagree. The offense has 1 game breaker. Everyone else needs to either take steps forward or show who they are…. meaning… who are the WRs????

Disagree. The offense has 1 game breaker. Everyone else needs to either take steps forward or show who they are…. meaning… who are the WRs????

DT Sheffield, WR,GAMEBREAKER, Nakia Watson, 6th year RB, GAMEBREAKER, RB Jenkins, GAMEBREAKER, QB Cam Ward, with Morris gone, and BEST QB COACH, OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR IN NATION, HIGH POTENTIAL GAMEBREAKER.

Rest of WR's, not bad, good, semi great, semi solid, serviceable, etc, but not gamebreakers by themselves, alone, but collectively, and because of GAMEBREAKER DT Sheffield, and because of Cam Ward, and because of BEST OC IN NATION, COLLECTIVELY AS A GROUP THEY ARE A HIGH POTENTIAL GAMEBREAKING WR CORP.

AND GOOD ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO PUT A SEMI LOT OF POINTS, YARDAGE UP ON BOARD AS LONG AS KONNER GOMEZ and the rest of the OL is at least semi serviceable.

And as long as the defense is at least semi serviceable, to go with above, then WSU should win 6,7,8,9 games, and goto a 8th straight bowl game, and 3rd straight winning season, bowl game for Dickert's first 3 years.

At semi likely worst, if WSU does not win 6,7,8,9 games, WSU wins at least 5 games at minimum

Hey look- Biggs is calling Cam Ward a gamebreaker!

And as long as the defense is at least semi serviceable, to go with above, then WSU should win 6,7,8,9 games, and goto a 8th straight bowl game, and 3rd straight winning season, bowl game for Dickert's first 3 years.

At semi likely worst, if WSU does not win 6,7,8,9 games, WSU wins at least 5 games at minimum

Brand X predicts 8-4

DT Sheffield, WR,GAMEBREAKER, Nakia Watson, 6th year RB, GAMEBREAKER, RB Jenkins, GAMEBREAKER, QB Cam Ward, with Morris gone, and BEST QB COACH, OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR IN NATION, HIGH POTENTIAL GAMEBREAKER.

Rest of WR's, not bad, good, semi great, semi solid, serviceable, etc, but not gamebreakers by themselves, alone, but collectively, and because of GAMEBREAKER DT Sheffield, and because of Cam Ward, and because of BEST OC IN NATION, COLLECTIVELY AS A GROUP THEY ARE A HIGH POTENTIAL GAMEBREAKING WR CORP.

AND GOOD ENOUGH TO BE ABLE TO PUT A SEMI LOT OF POINTS, YARDAGE UP ON BOARD AS LONG AS KONNER GOMEZ and the rest of the OL is at least semi serviceable.

I see a similar season as when Anthony Gordon was QB. Offense surprises to the upside, defense not great. Lots of shootouts. Good news is I think they can outscore anyone with maybe the exception of UW. A handful of plays determines whether we are a 6 win team or a 10 win team.

Reactions: mikalalas
I see a similar season as when Anthony Gordon was QB. Offense surprises to the upside, defense not great. Lots of shootouts. Good news is I think they can outscore anyone with maybe the exception of UW. A handful of plays determines whether we are a 6 win team or a 10 win team.
Sure would be nice for us to go out this season in major style. An undefeated Fuskie and Coug Apple Cup? I don't want the Fuskies to win a damn game all season but if we want some national attention, this game day scenario would be highly ideal.

From what I saw at practice, which doesn't prove much, this group of receivers is better than last year's. I think they have upgraded and will use the tight end more effectively. Solid does not mean super star or great, or game breaker, but if they do what they are supposed to, per the game plan, they can be effective as a unit and cause other teams problems. Assuming they get through the first two games as planned, I guess we will find out more in game 3 against a top 20 team, maybe there is another game breaker to two.

From what I saw at practice, which doesn't prove much, this group of receivers is better than last year's. I think they have upgraded and will use the tight end more effectively. Solid does not mean super star or great, or game breaker, but if they do what they are supposed to, per the game plan, they can be effective as a unit and cause other teams problems. Assuming they get through the first two games as planned, I guess we will find out more in game 3 against a top 20 team, maybe there is another game breaker to two.

Being a letter grade of a ‘C’ probably isnt enough to do real damage in the Pac 12. Solid practice? Ok. Against who? A defense with a swiss cheese backfield and no pass rush? Gotta show more.

The TEs last year were a complete waste. They may as well have just used a 6th OL as they never threw them the ball.

There are 7 games on the sked this year that a well coached Pac 12 team should win. Will they get it done?

Being a letter grade of a ‘C’ probably isnt enough to do real damage in the Pac 12. Solid practice? Ok. Against who? A defense with a swiss cheese backfield and no pass rush? Gotta show more.

The TEs last year were a complete waste. They may as well have just used a 6th OL as they never threw them the ball.

There are 7 games on the sked this year that a well coached Pac 12 team should win. Will they get it done?
They literally have a chance to show more in three days, and again in 10 days.

Which 7?

The Cougs are 2-0 and ranked in the AP Top 25. ESPN currently projects WSU to beat Northern Colorado, Arizona, Stanford and Colorado. Massey says that we are going to also have a close win against Cal. They are saying that the math suggests that the Cougs are a 6 or 7 win team. If we get to seven wins this year, are you going to acknowledge that Dickert is a good coach...or are you going to find ways to be negative still?

FWIW, those same computers say that Wisconsin is going to be 6-2 and probably ranked when they take on Ohio State later this year.

Reactions: mikalalas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT