ADVERTISEMENT

Cammon Cooper

froropmkr72

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2004
Watched his film a year and a half ago....and am still wondering how they discount his from being a legit starter. There's a host of reasons why he might be ignored. I hope he or anyone does not discount his talent. That would be a waste. There's several personalities that can get things (actually- the same thing) done.

Reactions: walzuu
Has all the physical tools. As long as his head has been screwed on tight the last year (I assume it has he seems sharp) he will have the opportunity to be another coug great. I love how he can move the pocket.

Watched his film a year and a half ago....and am still wondering how they discount his from being a legit starter. There's a host of reasons why he might be ignored. I hope he or anyone does not discount his talent. That would be a waste. There's several personalities that can get things (actually- the same thing) done.

Leadership would come to mind.

Leadership would come to mind.
Well, quarterbacks lead in different ways. It would be my personal hope that they stay engaged and in constant communication with their teammates. But no one has to be GM clone in order to be successful. The other perceived extreme is Falk who seemed to be a little aloof.

Reactions: taf88
Well, quarterbacks lead in different ways. It would be my personal hope that they stay engaged and in constant communication with their teammates. But no one has to be GM clone in order to be successful. The other perceived extreme is Falk who seemed to be a little aloof.

People (not just QBs) lead in different ways. Worst thing anyone in a leadership position can do is be a phony.

I'm excited about Cooper and think he could end up being one of the great ones for us. My concern about Cooper watching his high school film is that he is such a competitor that he sometimes forces the issue more than he should. That can lead to interceptions on bad throws and injuries taking unnecessary hits. From what I saw in the spring game last year, he's still got a lot of work to do. Of course, given that he was technically not even a redshirt freshman at that point and hadn't been to his first fall practice as a college athlete, I'm expecting that Leach has been working on eliminating some of that. Cooper looks to have all the tools to be the most productive Coug QB ever, if he learns to play within the system.

I'm excited about Cooper and think he could end up being one of the great ones for us. My concern about Cooper watching his high school film is that he is such a competitor that he sometimes forces the issue more than he should. That can lead to interceptions on bad throws and injuries taking unnecessary hits. From what I saw in the spring game last year, he's still got a lot of work to do. Of course, given that he was technically not even a redshirt freshman at that point and hadn't been to his first fall practice as a college athlete, I'm expecting that Leach has been working on eliminating some of that. Cooper looks to have all the tools to be the most productive Coug QB ever, if he learns to play within the system.

He has 0 career collegiate interceptions

He has 0 career collegiate interceptions

That's why I'm excited about him still. He looked like a young guy who wasn't ready last year (and he didn't need to be) and his high school tape showed us a guy that is willing to take risks to make a play. Some risk is good. Too much and you become Connor Halliday and throw three interceptions in a five minute span during the third quarter against Oregon State (no offense intended towards Connor). I'm very excited about Cooper but am aware that he needs coaching from Leach to control that risk. Of course, that's why we are paying the big guy close to $4 million this year.

EDIT: If a QB becomes too risk averse, he turns into Luke Falk and Leach calls him "constipated".

Last edited:
Reactions: kougkurt
That's why I'm excited about him still. He looked like a young guy who wasn't ready last year (and he didn't need to be) and his high school tape showed us a guy that is willing to take risks to make a play. Some risk is good. Too much and you become Connor Halliday and throw three interceptions in a five minute span during the third quarter against Oregon State (no offense intended towards Connor). I'm very excited about Cooper but am aware that he needs coaching from Leach to control that risk. Of course, that's why we are paying the big guy close to $4 million this year.
Youthful mistakes are exactly that.

Leadership does come in many forms... and it only matters that Leach is the one who believes a player is a leader or he questions that persons leadership ability . He is the sole judge of ones leadership abilities .

The door is wide open for Cam this spring, I hope he responds and has a great spring.

He will certainly need to learn to value the football and not throw picks, but it might be a bit premature to proclaim his career dead?

I'm not at all proclaiming his career dead, but I've learned a bit about Leach over the years, and he has zero patience for bad decisions and accuracy problems. There's a reason why he's behind Gordon and Tinsley on the depth chart.

If I were to guess, I would say Camm might be a little behind the other guys in terms of a maturity and leading the team.

In pre-game warm ups, the kid can sling it, effortlessly. The door is wide open after this season and he can Gunner are going be battling toe to toe for the starting job.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
About Leach having zero patience for QBs who make bad decisions and are inaccurate? Of course. I've heard him talk about that on multiple occasions.

I mean, do you believe that Cooper was listed behind the other guys because Leach viewed him as a poor choice? If so, what does that say about the other QB's on the roster? Or could it be that it was incredibly flattering to Cooper (and potentially damning for Tinsley and Gordon) that he was listed on the depth chart even though he was redshirting?

I mean, do you believe that Cooper was listed behind the other guys because Leach viewed him as a poor choice? If so, what does that say about the other QB's on the roster? Or could it be that it was incredibly flattering to Cooper (and potentially damning for Tinsley and Gordon) that he was listed on the depth chart even though he was redshirting?

Well....we will see this spring. Will it be a make it or break it year for him? I wouldn't be that dramatic, but Leach has shown he knows pretty quickly who has it and who doesn't, see 4 star Tyler Bruggman and Luke Falk.

Well....we will see this spring. Will it be a make it or break it year for him? I wouldn't be that dramatic, but Leach has shown he knows pretty quickly who has it and who doesn't, see 4 star Tyler Bruggman and Luke Falk.

This year still doesn't really mean a whole lot when it comes to Cooper if he doesn't play. Tinsley, Gordon and Gubrud are seniors. If they play well and he doesn't play at all....it means nothing more than the older guys played well. Cooper is still a redshirt freshman this year and it's not an insult for seniors to play ahead of you. Now, if Cooper isn't the starter in 2020? Probably means he'll never be our starter.

This year still doesn't really mean a whole lot when it comes to Cooper if he doesn't play. Tinsley, Gordon and Gubrud are seniors. If they play well and he doesn't play at all....it means nothing more than the older guys played well. Cooper is still a redshirt freshman this year and it's not an insult for seniors to play ahead of you. Now, if Cooper isn't the starter in 2020? Probably means he'll never be our starter.

Right on the nose, Flat. Zero shame in not passing people with more experience on the depth chart. The problem for Cooper will be if Cruz passes him on the depth chart. Leach is raving about Gunner's work ethic.

He will certainly need to learn to value the football and not throw picks, but it might be a bit premature to proclaim his career dead?

No sh!t.
I will say this, however. In the year and a half he's been in Pullman, he doesn't appear to have put on any muscle. Maybe Leach has noticed?

No sh!t.
I will say this, however. In the year and a half he's been in Pullman, he doesn't appear to have put on any muscle. Maybe Leach has noticed?
Bledsoe's the biggest...let's start him. We're going to have to get Chinook Coug to size him up or someone else to take pictures of him shirtless:)

Cooper has that dreamy Sunshine hair.

A worthy replacement for the moustache rides of the past year. Coeds drop panties. Moms hearts flutter. Dads quit going to the barber.

I mean, do you believe that Cooper was listed behind the other guys because Leach viewed him as a poor choice?

Not because he was a poor choice, but because he didn't beat either of them out last year. I don't think Leach plays games at all with the QB depth chart. He's not an awe shucks kind of guy. If someone comes in as a true freshmen and earns the #2 job, it's his.

Not because he was a poor choice, but because he didn't beat either of them out last year. I don't think Leach plays games at all with the QB depth chart. He's not an awe shucks kind of guy. If someone comes in as a true freshmen and earns the #2 job, it's his.

It would be strange if Cooper beat out either Gordon or Tinsley, each with two more years running the offense, last fall. Once camp started Minshew needed a many reps as possible to get ready so it was easy to stick Cooper on the scout team and let him develop there.

How he looks this year will be telling. Last year didn't mean much.

Boy, I don't know. In today's era, elite skill position play early. Apart from transfers, how many first year starting QBs are seniors or juniors?

Just off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone in the P12 worth mentioning who falls into that category. Falk, Herbert, Browning, Hundley, JT Daniels, Khalil Tate...Clemson starting QB Trevor Lawrence.

I do agree with you though for the most part. This year isn't a make or break, but next year certainly is. A year from now, why won't it be Gunner Cruz instead of Cooper? There are a lot of good players who would like to start for Leach.

Boy, I don't know. In today's era, elite skill position play early. Apart from transfers, how many first year starting QBs are seniors or juniors?

Just off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone in the P12 worth mentioning who falls into that category. Falk, Herbert, Browning, Hundley, JT Daniels, Khalil Tate...Clemson starting QB Trevor Lawrence.

I do agree with you though for the most part. This year isn't a make or break, but next year certainly is. A year from now, why won't it be Gunner Cruz instead of Cooper? There are a lot of good players who would like to start for Leach.

Why Would Leach Burn A Kids Red-Shirt To Be a #2 when he just brought in a Grad Transfer ????

Cause if you’re gonna burn a freshman red-shirt, he’s gonna play not be a #2 back-up.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Why Would Leach Burn A Kids Red-Shirt To Be a #2 when he just brought in a Grad Transfer ????

Cause if you’re gonna burn a freshman red-shirt, he’s gonna play not be a #2 back-up.

He would have had 4 games to play in without losing the redshirt. After that, had Minshew sustained a serious injury, then there would have been a decision to make. The reason Cooper was behind Gordon and Tinsley was because they both beat him out.

He would have had 4 games to play in without losing the redshirt. After that, had Minshew sustained a serious injury, then there would have been a decision to make. The reason Cooper was behind Gordon and Tinsley was because they both beat him out.

Given the extremely limited number of snaps taken by our backups last year, I'm going to say that it made more sense to give snaps to the juniors who might be called upon if Minshew had gotten injured rather than a true freshman that you'd prefer to redshirt.......but maybe that's just me?

LOL, another message board coach. Awesome.

So ElC has a beef against Chun and whoever the next basketball coach is and you have some kind of beef with Cooper? Got it. I'm sure that you trolling Cooper is some form of entertainment for you and it's not my place to judge your football IQ when you say some of the stupid sh!t that you are saying in this thread, but seriously, only an ignorant fool really believes that it's meaningful that Cooper was listed last in the "or" list in the depth chart last year.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
LOL, another message board coach. Awesome.

I actually did coach. High school and college. I have no idea if this poster did or didnt. But to attack someone’s opinion or knowledge based on experience while not having anything similar to draw on is ridiculous. Its amazing the lengths people will go to discredit those with credit.

Right on the nose, Flat. Zero shame in not passing people with more experience on the depth chart. The problem for Cooper will be if Cruz passes him on the depth chart. Leach is raving about Gunner's work ethic.
Could be code for Cooper needs to work as hard or harder. Even Bill Walsh used to use any type of motivation at his disposal. A question- does anyone have a video of Leach talking about the ways in which he motivates certain personality types? I vaguely remember him talking about it. Anyone know for sure? This question relates to all forms of business or situations. I'm reminded of two distinct personality types who come in at the exact time. First guy doesn't know much, starts out very slowly and leaves you thinking "is he going to make it?" The second guy has all the confidence in the world and maybe a little cavalier about his development. First guy never makes the same mistake twice and passes up the second guy within months or maybe a year. Everyone appreciates the first guy and about how humble he is just to be there and maybe how we should be "appreciative" to have the second guy?

Could be code for Cooper needs to work as hard or harder. Even Bill Walsh used to use any type of motivation at his disposal. A question- does anyone have a video of Leach talking about the ways in which he motivates certain personality types? I vaguely remember him talking about it. Anyone know for sure? This question relates to all forms of business or situations. I'm reminded of two distinct personality types who come in at the exact time. First guy doesn't know much, starts out very slowly and leaves you thinking "is he going to make it?" The second guy has all the confidence in the world and maybe a little cavalier about his development. First guy never makes the same mistake twice and passes up the second guy within months or maybe a year. Everyone appreciates the first guy and about how humble he is just to be there and maybe how we should be "appreciative" to have the second guy?

The Cooper naysayers need to take a deeeeeep breath and at least wait until next season to troll the young man. Of course, it's a fact that trolls who do this very likely are fans of other programs who seek only to create havoc on website MB such as this one. I have seen it time and time again here over the years (e.g., chinookpirate and his many other handles).

The Cooper naysayers need to take a deeeeeep breath and at least wait until next season to troll the young man. Of course, it's a fact that trolls who do this very likely are fans of other programs who seek only to create havoc on website MB such as this one. I have seen it time and time again here over the years (e.g., chinookpirate and his many other handles).
Would you have to remind us (OK, I did) of the guy who pretended to be a Coug fan for YEARS only to come back here as a true huskie fan? Extreme sadness as he sits in his parent's basement and snickers in psychosis.

Reactions: YakiCoug

El is too busy defending St. Ernie to worry about QB bashing right now. There's only so much bandwidth available.

Once spring ball starts, I expect a little more balance.

I actually did coach. High school and college. I have no idea if this poster did or didnt. But to attack someone’s opinion or knowledge based on experience while not having anything similar to draw on is ridiculous. Its amazing the lengths people will go to discredit those with credit.

I think if you look again; the attack was....”oh, you never coached. I get it now.”

I coached basketball and baseball, but never football. I don’t think that disqualifies me, or anyone, from chiming in on football topics; particularly ones surrounding depth chart decisions.

I think if you look again; the attack was....”oh, you never coached. I get it now.”

I coached basketball and baseball, but never football. I don’t think that disqualifies me, or anyone, from chiming in on football topics; particularly ones surrounding depth chart decisions.

The issue is people speaking from a position of authority and not knowing jack squat or having any experience... while shouting down or discrediting those that do.

Youve coached. I dont have a beef with you chiming in about depth chart decisions and telling someone theyre a dope.

I’ll spare you my opinion about basketball and baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT