ADVERTISEMENT

Can LBSU be "up graded" to be an solid D-1 LA school for the media dollars...?

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
They have a huge undergrad school.

Read they had like 3k fans at their mens volleyball game vs. UCLA.

They don't have football....they could....and they could play at SoFi.

Curious if the powers that be are interested in investing in LBSU or "Beach" athletics?

Their baseball team branding is really good...."the dirtbags"...and the team is good.

To me, they seem like a school that could be absolutely do well if they were given the platform.

They have a huge undergrad school.

Read they had like 3k fans at their mens volleyball game vs. UCLA.

They don't have football....they could....and they could play at SoFi.

Curious if the powers that be are interested in investing in LBSU or "Beach" athletics?

Their baseball team branding is really good...."the dirtbags"...and the team is good.

To me, they seem like a school that could be absolutely do well if they were given the platform.
The idea that because a school is in LA they will garner a TV market, is simplistic at best. WSU's viewership was higher than UCLA and Cal in 2023, and of the top 30 schools only USC is in a major market, at #13. Alabama was the top draw. Tuscaloosa is small, is in a poor, low population, state, and is more than 200 miles from a major TV market.

Its about the "product," not the market. Products sell, markets buy. SDSU Stan UCLA and Cal had no product, and ratings to match.

On the hand, Deion turned Colorado into a ratings juggernaut, single handedly! Deion with the white animus crowd "hoping for failure," combine with the black empowerment crowd "hoping for success," made the Buff's ratings go through the roof. That just how media works.

College athletics as a whole are a losing financial proposition. I can't see the Cal State system adding a football program, aside from all the political heat that SDSU, SJS and Fresneck would probably generate.

The idea that because a school is in LA they will garner a TV market, is simplistic at best. WSU's viewership was higher than UCLA and Cal in 2023, and of the top 30 schools only USC is in a major market, at #13. Alabama was the top draw. Tuscaloosa is small, is in a poor, low population, state, and is more than 200 miles from a major TV market.

Its about the "product," not the market. Products sell, markets buy. SDSU Stan UCLA and Cal had no product, and ratings to match.

On the hand, Deion turned Colorado into a ratings juggernaut, single handedly! Deion with the white animus crowd "hoping for failure," combine with the black empowerment crowd "hoping for success," made the Buff's ratings go through the roof. That just how media works.

Snoop D Oh Double G could pull some recruits to LBSU

On LBSU, if their athletic program needs cash, add football and get into the new Pac-12....cash comes in the door.

Frankly, opportunity to be the #2 team in the LA market as I see UCLA suboptimizing their athletic department due to their debt load and financial problems.

On LBSU, if their athletic program needs cash, add football and get into the new Pac-12....cash comes in the door.

Frankly, opportunity to be the #2 team in the LA market as I see UCLA suboptimizing their athletic department due to their debt load and financial problems.
Well I wasn't going to comment on this topic, but I will now.

Nice idea ttown, but IMHO a complete non-starter. First, you don't just start up a D-1 football program. Second, LBSU has a lot of students, but who are they (see link below). 48% Latino, 20% Asian-American, 15% White and only 3.6% Black? Nothing against Asians and Latinos, but I don't see them forming a solid base of Football fans.

Third, as we will soon learn, cash isn't going to just "come in the door". The new Pac will be begging for scraps.

And (same link), LBSU just hit R2 status, which is $5 million in research expenditures? While I know R1 is a standard that the new Pac will have to drop, it's a stretch from $2.5M to R1 status of $50M.

So, innovative idea, but no.

Well I wasn't going to comment on this topic, but I will now.

Nice idea ttown, but IMHO a complete non-starter. First, you don't just start up a D-1 football program. Second, LBSU has a lot of students, but who are they (see link below). 48% Latino, 20% Asian-American, 15% White and only 3.6% Black? Nothing against Asians and Latinos, but I don't see them forming a solid base of Football fans.

Third, as we will soon learn, cash isn't going to just "come in the door". The new Pac will be begging for scraps.

And (same link), LBSU just hit R2 status, which is $5 million in research expenditures? While I know R1 is a standard that the new Pac will have to drop, it's a stretch from $2.5M to R1 status of $50M.

So, innovative idea, but no.

The new Pac-12, if we have to grab MWC teams, is lowering the bar academically.

Agree it's a lift to start a football program, but there are a number of schools that if the money was good, would have programs.

My point is if TVs and media markets drive up the TV contract value, LA has to be a market of interest. And LBSU, despite no football team, checks that box. LBSU, Fresno, SDSU, UNLV, OSU and WSU...you cobber together a better than MWC conference deal.

That said, it feels like all eyes are on the ACC and if/when FSU bolts, the ACC shores up with OSU and WSU to create a yesterday division. Might even merge with the Pac-2.

That is my prediction....APAC conference.

ttown, it is not a yesterday division; given the way the time zones run, it is a tomorrow division!

;):cool:

The new Pac-12, if we have to grab MWC teams, is lowering the bar academically.

Agree it's a lift to start a football program, but there are a number of schools that if the money was good, would have programs.

My point is if TVs and media markets drive up the TV contract value, LA has to be a market of interest. And LBSU, despite no football team, checks that box. LBSU, Fresno, SDSU, UNLV, OSU and WSU...you cobber together a better than MWC conference deal.

That said, it feels like all eyes are on the ACC and if/when FSU bolts, the ACC shores up with OSU and WSU to create a yesterday division. Might even merge with the Pac-2.

That is my prediction....APAC conference.

Starting up a Power 5 football program at LBSU just isn't going to happen. Wichita State did a study in 2016 and the estimated cost to start up an FBS program was estimated to be $75 million. That included $28 million for stadium renovations, $21 million for practice facilities and $26 million in additional costs to run the program.

Starting up a Power 5 football program at LBSU just isn't going to happen. Wichita State did a study in 2016 and the estimated cost to start up an FBS program was estimated to be $75 million. That included $28 million for stadium renovations, $21 million for practice facilities and $26 million in additional costs to run the program.
Does that count all the coaches and administration and support staff salaries and benefits for the first 2-3 years until you can actually field a team?

And $28 million to turn Cessna stadium into a D-1 facility? Uh, OK. Even if as ttown sez LBSU can just go play at SoFi, that wouldn't be free.

R1 (and then some) University. How many students? Spent over 5 minutes on the WSU site and could find nothing on student numbers. But yeah if any University would be suited for FB it would be WSU. But how do they get away with only 11 sports? Does that matter if you don't play FB?

Anyway Flat, doesn't sound like it but I'm agreeing with you here. Non-starter.

I've had similar thoughts: could one of the Los Angeles universities add a football program that can compete in a rebuilt PAC-12 conference? Don't know. However, it needs a football stadium to play in, so perhaps the school could work out a deal with the newly built SoFi Stadium, which opened about 4 years ago.

SoFi Stadium

Other LA schools to consider might include UC Irvine and CSU Fullerton. Are any of these schools capable of funding an athletic department at the Power 5 level? Don't know.

If the PAC-12 was rebuilt by poaching 6 schools from the Mountain West Conference, then several Beaver fans - myself included - favor including San Jose State University. I like SJSU for the following reasons:
* SF Bay area school adds to the TV contract value
* SF Bay area is great recruiting territory for all conference schools
* easy travel access
* located near (or in) Silicon Valley, so it may be able to fund a Power 5 level athletic program

The reasons listed for wanting SJSU are similar to why we'd want an LA school in the rebuilt conference.

I've had similar thoughts: could one of the Los Angeles universities add a football program that can compete in a rebuilt PAC-12 conference? Don't know. However, it needs a football stadium to play in, so perhaps the school could work out a deal with the newly built SoFi Stadium, which opened about 4 years ago.

SoFi Stadium

Other LA schools to consider might include UC Irvine and CSU Fullerton. Are any of these schools capable of funding an athletic department at the Power 5 level? Don't know.

If the PAC-12 was rebuilt by poaching 6 schools from the Mountain West Conference, then several Beaver fans - myself included - favor including San Jose State University. I like SJSU for the following reasons:
* SF Bay area school adds to the TV contract value
* SF Bay area is great recruiting territory for all conference schools
* easy travel access
* located near (or in) Silicon Valley, so it may be able to fund a Power 5 level athletic program

The reasons listed for wanting SJSU are similar to why we'd want an LA school in the rebuilt conference.

The Pac-12 is not going to be considered a Power 5 conference by upgrading scrubs. UC Irvine, CSU Fullerton and LBSU are just not worth the discussion in the short term. They would all need to work their way up. Hell, SMU is having trouble being treated fairly by everyone else.

SJSU has potential but from what I recall in earlier discussions, their fans just don't GAF about football and they had a miniscule budget compared to the rest of the MWC. The six teams from the MWC have to be:

Air Force
Boise State
Colorado State
Fresno State
SDSU
UNLV

They have shown the most commitment to compete financially. I would personally include Wyoming and Nevada and remake the Pac-10 and keep two spots open for Stanford and Cal to return to make it the Pac-12.

The Pac-12 is not going to be considered a Power 5 conference by upgrading scrubs. UC Irvine, CSU Fullerton and LBSU are just not worth the discussion in the short term. They would all need to work their way up. Hell, SMU is having trouble being treated fairly by everyone else.

SJSU has potential but from what I recall in earlier discussions, their fans just don't GAF about football and they had a miniscule budget compared to the rest of the MWC. The six teams from the MWC have to be:

Air Force
Boise State
Colorado State
Fresno State
SDSU
UNLV

They have shown the most commitment to compete financially. I would personally include Wyoming and Nevada and remake the Pac-10 and keep two spots open for Stanford and Cal to return to make it the Pac-12.
100% agree on the non-starter for scrubs. Sorry ttown, that just does not fly. Not now, not ever. That concept needs to be dropped.

Flat, I don't hate your plan. BUT, dumping Utah State, New Mexico and SJSU? I dunno. USU and NM give us a presence in 2 states. Not big, but out West. SJSU? How many times have they beat Stanford. A PAC school in the Bay area?

Cal and Stanford, F-them unless they want to crawl back. Note that neither was a top 30 TV market (from the other thread, WSU was 30th, AZ and ASU were also down below us somewhere). A Pac-14 would be OK if they want to grovel.

Hawaii as FB only? I dunno. No opinion there. If not for location, I would say no.

Guys we have to get a grip. The reverse merger with all of the Mtn West is the only way to go. This 2-year affiliate BS is OK - FOR A YEAR. We are stuck with that at this point.

100% agree on the non-starter for scrubs. Sorry ttown, that just does not fly. Not now, not ever. That concept needs to be dropped.

Flat, I don't hate your plan. BUT, dumping Utah State, New Mexico and SJSU? I dunno. USU and NM give us a presence in 2 states. Not big, but out West. SJSU? How many times have they beat Stanford. A PAC school in the Bay area?

Cal and Stanford, F-them unless they want to crawl back. Note that neither was a top 30 TV market (from the other thread, WSU was 30th, AZ and ASU were also down below us somewhere). A Pac-14 would be OK if they want to grovel.

Hawaii as FB only? I dunno. No opinion there. If not for location, I would say no.

Guys we have to get a grip. The reverse merger with all of the Mtn West is the only way to go. This 2-year affiliate BS is OK - FOR A YEAR. We are stuck with that at this point.

You're absolutely right that the reality is that a reverse merger with the entire MWC is the most likely result right now.

Air Force
Boise State
Colorado State
Fresno State
SDSU
UNLV

I think you're right on Wyoming and Nevada, but Utah State might pop ahead of Wyoming.

I like Wyoming more however.

F-Cal and Stanford = Yes, but how fun it would be to let them back in with a penalty.

Make them wear the pledge pins!

Reactions: ATACFD
College football on the West coast has flatlined. It's never....and I mean not ever going to compete with the fan passion and interest shown in the Midwest, Southwest, and Southeast.

I think it's the G5 label that's turning people off more than anything. I mentioned before that Boise State, Fresno State, SDSU, Wyoming, San Jose State, Colorado State, and Utah State have had more or around the same number of NFL picks as WSU has over the past decade, and they've all beaten us. The MWC plays good football. Cal, Stanford, Colorado, ASU, UCLA, ASU, and Arizona aren't any better than the top half of the MWC. If you're worried about a drop-off in game atmosphere, think back to our game vs. Stanford last season. There are plenty of other snooze fest league games to draw comparison to as well.

A lot of fans are panicking at the thought of competing in a G5 West coast league, but I've made peace with it. At the end of the day, WSU is going to be playing football games in Pullman in front of 20-30K drunk fans, just like we have for decades. I'm also extremely confident that the G5 ranks are going to see an uptick in the coming years, as more programs become marginalized the way WSU and OSU have.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT