ADVERTISEMENT

Chip Kelly to the Beavs?

With due respect to the Beavs, there will be a number of more appealing openings coming after the season. Nebraska for one, possibly the Arizona schools, UCLA?, LSU if Orgeron doesn't pick up the pace down there. aTm? As Fab5 suggested, there will be some serious money directed Kelly's way and OSU can't sit in at that table.

Feel bad for our cousins in Corvallis. I thought that Andersen had a real shot at turning it around there.

With due respect to the Beavs, there will be a number of more appealing openings coming after the season. Nebraska for one, possibly the Arizona schools, UCLA?, LSU if Orgeron doesn't pick up the pace down there. aTm? As Fab5 suggested, there will be some serious money directed Kelly's way and OSU can't sit in at that table.

Feel bad for our cousins in Corvallis. I thought that Andersen had a real shot at turning it around there.
i see kelly landing at ucla if that job opens up. i think they'll have the kind of money it'll take and his system will play well there.

Beau Baldwin, Jonathan Smith and Jim Leavitt should be in their T5. They could maybe get Butch Jones for cheap once he's axed at UT.

Well, OSU doesn't have to pay Anderson's buyout, but I still doubt they have the money to go get Kelly.
I don't know if a coach can double dip. I seem to remember when Erickson was fired from the Seahawks he
Well, OSU doesn't have to pay Anderson's buyout, but I still doubt they have the money to go get Kelly.
What I don't know is if say UCLA pays him 5 million a year, and his San Fran contract has him at 6 mil a year, that means I believe San Fran is now owing him 1 mil a year. I don't think he gets 5 mil from UCLA and his 6 mil from the 49ers.

If that is true, the max he will get paid is 6 million a year. Why does he care if OSU only pays him 3 mil a year or UCLA pays 5? His income is still capped.

Whoever gets the OSU job they better recruit. They are ready to fall in the abyss. Unfortunately this started with Mike Riley. They lost their edge in recruiting.

I don't know if a coach can double dip. I seem to remember when Erickson was fired from the Seahawks he

What I don't know is if say UCLA pays him 5 million a year, and his San Fran contract has him at 6 mil a year, that means I believe San Fran is now owing him 1 mil a year. I don't think he gets 5 mil from UCLA and his 6 mil from the 49ers.

If that is true, the max he will get paid is 6 million a year. Why does he care if OSU only pays him 3 mil a year or UCLA pays 5? His income is still capped.

Whoever gets the OSU job they better recruit. They are ready to fall in the abyss. Unfortunately this started with Mike Riley. They lost their edge in recruiting.
what edge?

No Ed. No.

Chip Kelly if he comes back would not got to Oregon State for TONS of reasons. (Program in bad shape too risky for a return, too many people in Oregon would have a vendetta against him from the Phil Knight area, his name is worth more than what OSU could pay, there are better opportunities available.

I'll give you the actual list.

Beau Baldwin: Former Eastern HC / Cal Offensive Coordinator
Scott Barnes the AD of Oregon State was the AD at Eastern when Beau Baldwin was the offensive coordinator. So Beau Baldwin is a candidate. But ole Paul Wulff was a disaster so that might not happen.

Sarkisian: Former UW Coach/ USC Drunk
Sark may be back!
Sark was the HC at UW while Barnes was the sr. Assoc. AD at UW.

Todd Orlando: Former Utah State Defensive Coordinator now University of Texas Defensive Coordinator.
Barnes was the AD at Utah State while Orlando was the DC there. He hired Andersen who he hired for Utah
State, but he may just want the best part of what was at Utah State at the time, and that's Todd Orlando.

Patt Narduzzi: Great defensive mind from Michigan State who has made the Panthers successful. Barnes was AD at Pitt and
hired him. (Not likely because he's an East Coast guy)

Mike Riley: Would he want to come back for the third time? That's a real possibility as Nebraska hasn't exactly been the ideal situation.

That's an actual legitimate list.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
No Ed. No.

Beau Baldwin: Former Eastern HC / Cal Offensive Coordinator
Scott Barnes the AD of Oregon State was the AD at Eastern when Beau Baldwin was the offensive coordinator. So Beau Baldwin is a candidate. But ole Paul Wulff was a disaster so that might not happen.
baldwin's had enough of his own head coaching success that i doubt very much he has any wulff stink on him. also, the wulff stink didn't really show up in any material way until wsu (lucky us!). to me, he seems like he'd be a really natural choice, but if i were him, i'd camp out at cal for at least another season and see if i could generate any better interest.

Reactions: Cougatron
baldwin's had enough of his own head coaching success that i doubt very much he has any wulff stink on him. also, the wulff stink didn't really show up in any material way until wsu (lucky us!). to me, he seems like he'd be a really natural choice, but if i were him, i'd camp out at cal for at least another season and see if i could generate any better interest.

I agree.

I'm thinking someone stole his "magic eye" ...
oregon state is a total rebuild along the lines of WSU after the turd. they either have to hire a name coach, like Sark or go with a lower level guy moving up and have him bolt after a good season or two. they are not in an enviable position, and I hope they stay there

oregon state is a total rebuild along the lines of WSU after the turd. they either have to hire a name coach, like Sark or go with a lower level guy moving up and have him bolt after a good season or two. they are not in an enviable position, and I hope they stay there
I agree and I don't think Grinch would want this total rebuild even if he was a candidate (which I don't think he is). Why that crap show Brand Y ran that stupid story of him being a potential candidate just minutes after it was announced that Anderson was gone is beyond me. Total idiots over there.

Reactions: froropmkr72
I agree and I don't think Grinch would want this total rebuild even if he was a candidate (which I don't think he is). Why that crap show Brand Y ran that stupid story of him being a potential candidate just minutes after it was announced that Anderson was gone is beyond me. Total idiots over there.
Totally agree. If it's not the sexy candidate.....then forget about it. An AD may get fired for hiring outside of the family and on a limited basis (Grinch on a two year run and NOT Jonathan Smith). What would also work is UW envy and "greatness is contagious".....Holy Crap! WHO could resist this????? Hire 2-3 from the uw staff.

Grinch will be a candidate for a head coaching job this year. I do not see him staying in Pullman. He will have to strike while the iron is hot.I hope that it does not affect recruiting

Grinch will be a candidate for a head coaching job this year. I do not see him staying in Pullman. He will have to strike while the iron is hot.I hope that it does not affect recruiting
Getting a head coaching job is only as good the long-term body of work that backs it up. Gary Anderson was hired based on his body of work from Utah State (4 year starter in Chuckie Keegan) and then a fully stocked Wisconsin team. The new HC needs to make the right assistant hires (see Gary Anderson) and convince their fanbase that they'll successful based on their past success. It'll have to be a a 2-3 coach tag team who's not too expensive. (Smith and Lake)

Getting a head coaching job is only as good the long-term body of work that backs it up. Gary Anderson was hired based on his body of work from Utah State (4 year starter in Chuckie Keegan) and then a fully stocked Wisconsin team. The new HC needs to make the right assistant hires (see Gary Anderson) and convince their fanbase that they'll successful based on their past success. It'll have to be a a 2-3 coach tag team who's not too expensive. (Smith and Lake)

I'd be more worried about Grinch taking a DC job at a "better" school than taking on a HC gig at a troubled program... He's good, but still young.

Give him a respectful raise, hopefully we can keep him on for the next two seasons.

Reactions: brettcraycraft51
I'd be more worried about Grinch taking a DC job at a "better" school than taking on a HC gig at a troubled program... He's good, but still young.

Give him a respectful raise, hopefully we can keep him on for the next two seasons.
exactly this. right now, grinch is way more qualified to step up in the dc ranks to a higher profile school than he is to be a serious candidate for any hc job remotely worth having. he's put together the beginnings of a successful run as a dc, but just that. if things continue next year and beyond, he'll get nice offers and eventually leave, but i don't think we're there just yet.

incidentally, is there any chance he could be convinced to stick around until leach is close enough to retirement to make it a "head coach in waiting" type situation? obviously finances (how much is wsu willing to pay him) and leach (when will he retire) are factors.

speaking of... how old is leach anyway? i'm curious if he's in the "coach til they make me stop" mode or not. anyone w/ any insight there?

Reactions: ATACFD
exactly this. right now, grinch is way more qualified to step up in the dc ranks to a higher profile school than he is to be a serious candidate for any hc job remotely worth having. he's put together the beginnings of a successful run as a dc, but just that. if things continue next year and beyond, he'll get nice offers and eventually leave, but i don't think we're there just yet.

incidentally, is there any chance he could be convinced to stick around until leach is close enough to retirement to make it a "head coach in waiting" type situation? obviously finances (how much is wsu willing to pay him) and leach (when will he retire) are factors.

speaking of... how old is leach anyway? i'm curious if he's in the "coach til they make me stop" mode or not. anyone w/ any insight there?

Leach is 56.

The problem wouldn't have been Wulff per se, it would be an FCS coach from the same school without experience or ties to division one that would be taking over a downtrodden program. Baldwin even being at Cal one year has been exposed to a higher league and more contacts. It would be like Keith Gilbertson in early 1990 going to washington to get exposure then going to Cal.

I've been wondering this exact thing myself. I think we really need to do as much as we can to retain Grinch. I think Grinch could be groomed to eventually be a great head coach here. That incentive, if spelled out correctly and if money is shelled out correctly, could keep him from bolting somewhere else. It could be a win-win for everyone. If some of us have thought of this, do you think it's pretty likely that Moos has thought of this?

I've been wondering this exact thing myself. I think we really need to do as much as we can to retain Grinch. I think Grinch could be groomed to eventually be a great head coach here. That incentive, if spelled out correctly and if money is shelled out correctly, could keep him from bolting somewhere else. It could be a win-win for everyone. If some of us have thought of this, do you think it's pretty likely that Moos has thought of this?

Although he seems to give the impression of being older sometimes, Leach is only 56. We're guessing as to how long he'd want to coach, but my sense -- admittedly based on little more than guesswork and his stated admiration of Bill Snyder -- is that he's not the kind of guy who is going to just walk away when he's 60. He isn't asked to pull a huge gladhanding role at WSU, and he maintains outside interests, so I don't think he's a burnout candidate. I could see Leach wanting to stick around for another 8-10 years. Maybe I'm wrong on this ... Stoops, after all, just walked away at the age Leach is now. I doubt it, though.

Reactions: Fab5Coug

Not sure it's a great idea to promote Grinch to WSU's head coach position without proving he is head-coach material at another program. I assume he wants to be a head coach, so his timing may not match Leach's timing for retirement. I would be surprised if he didn't move on after this season. I hope I'm wrong.

Why are they any more idiots than anyone else who speculates he would be a candidate?

Who Grinch would be able to hire would be the most important aspect of the gig. Think of this...a coach from Wisconsin with pretty good creds couldn't get talent to Corvalis. So what is the answer? Who is the next Mike Leach?

Although he seems to give the impression of being older sometimes, Leach is only 56. We're guessing as to how long he'd want to coach, but my sense -- admittedly based on little more than guesswork and his stated admiration of Bill Snyder -- is that he's not the kind of guy who is going to just walk away when he's 60. He isn't asked to pull a huge gladhanding role at WSU, and he maintains outside interests, so I don't think he's a burnout candidate. I could see Leach wanting to stick around for another 8-10 years. Maybe I'm wrong on this ... Stoops, after all, just walked away at the age Leach is now. I doubt it, though.

I think Leach does enough and has enough outside interests to keep him from burning out. That's just a complete guess and opinion though.

I am saying he lost whatever edge it was to get those players? Evaluation? Maybe. Ability to sell? Maybe.
I think Oregon State as an entity has lost any edge they once had, they have fallen on hard times in all sports other than baseball, they have lost the facilities arms race and corvallis is a soggy smelly place to live

Not sure it's a great idea to promote Grinch to WSU's head coach position without proving he is head-coach material at another program. I assume he wants to be a head coach, so his timing may not match Leach's timing for retirement. I would be surprised if he didn't move on after this season. I hope I'm wrong.
i don't mean to hate on wazzu, but if grinch goes elsewhere and proves himself as a head coach, he ain't coming back.

not all successful head coaches need to go the "head coach at a lower level route." just as often as not, a successful coordinator who's groomed by a successful head coach is the right choice.

not saying we should be putting our eggs in the grinch basket. like i said earlier, i don't think he's got a long enough track record just yet to show he's ready for anything more than another dc position at a bigger school, but if he were to get to that point in the next few years, i wouldn't turn him away just because he doesn't have head coaching experience.

also, obviously, i agree that this could all just be pie in the sky nonsense if leach wants to coach until he's 70 (but hey, what's the internet for if not pie in the sky nonsense...)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT