ADVERTISEMENT

Claeys Approach

Claeys says that he isn't going to change much about the defense and just look more at situational awareness and being better in the red zone. I read in a different thread that Grinch totally sucks and was holding the best players back. You'd think that Claeys would need to revamp the whole system to correct the disaster that Grinch was based on what I read there.

All kidding aside, I like the fact that Claeys is willing to work with what he's got and not complicate things with wholesale changes.

Claeys says that he isn't going to change much about the defense and just look more at situational awareness and being better in the red zone. I read in a different thread that Grinch totally sucks and was holding the best players back. You'd think that Claeys would need to revamp the whole system to correct the disaster that Grinch was based on what I read there.

All kidding aside, I like the fact that Claeys is willing to work with what he's got and not complicate things with wholesale changes.
look, I don't usually get all that worked up at other posters, but for fcks sake don't invite the troll to come on threads other than the ones he's already polluting.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
I for one am comfortable with Claey's doing whatever he thinks is necessary. With his success on Defense over the years, he needs to be comfortable with whatever he is calling in the games. I trust his experience and tract record.

There are several threads mostly on other site, some on this site, on jokes about his weight. Please leave that to our opponents. He needs to feel welcome and appreciated. I would like him to stay for a while. I am sure he can take care of himself and does not need me defending him. I am uncomfortable with the mind set behind the jokes. Thank you.

I'm a bit torn on his approach. He has to be flexible because he is inheriting players. They may not fit with what he'd do if he had done the recruiting over the past 5 years, I get that... But his defenses are pretty incredible. I hope he is also going to be transitioning to what he wants and doesn't fall into he trap of, "This is what I have so I need to mold to that." I want HIS defense. Not some adaptation. I'm sure that's the case.

Honestly, I hope he creeps a few different looks into things this year to help keep the offenses on their heels while also making the transition to his 4-3. We run a 3-4... I'd love to see a few snaps with a solid 4-3. Make the QB take a time out to figure out what the hell to do.

Reactions: Tx64
I'm a bit torn on his approach. He has to be flexible because he is inheriting players. They may not fit with what he'd do if he had done the recruiting over the past 5 years, I get that... But his defenses are pretty incredible. I hope he is also going to be transitioning to what he wants and doesn't fall into he trap of, "This is what I have so I need to mold to that." I want HIS defense. Not some adaptation. I'm sure that's the case.

Honestly, I hope he creeps a few different looks into things this year to help keep the offenses on their heels while also making the transition to his 4-3. We run a 3-4... I'd love to see a few snaps with a solid 4-3. Make the QB take a time out to figure out what the hell to do.

I didn't realize he runs a 43. I' just gotten used to the 34, and thb outside of finding a DT I feel it suits the talent we can recruit better, which is a 180 from how I used to feel.

34 means more blitzing which should mean more pressure onbthe qb which means less pressure to have top tier defensive backfield who can play on an island. You cam basically recruit the best athletes available and plug them into the DE and LB spots as opposed to having a run stop Mike, rush OLB, coverage OLB.

DL recruiting is a bit easier, but that hasn't proven to be that big of an issue... yet.

I didn't realize he runs a 43. I' just gotten used to the 34, and thb outside of finding a DT I feel it suits the talent we can recruit better, which is a 180 from how I used to feel.

34 means more blitzing which should mean more pressure onbthe qb which means less pressure to have top tier defensive backfield who can play on an island. You cam basically recruit the best athletes available and plug them into the DE and LB spots as opposed to having a run stop Mike, rush OLB, coverage OLB.

DL recruiting is a bit easier, but that hasn't proven to be that big of an issue... yet.
From his brandy quote he seems flexible. He likes the 43 but prioritizes getting speed on the field. He also worked with Wade Phillips on the 34. Seems to like multiple fronts given the situation which makes sense. I also think he likes to blitz more than Grinch but could be wrong there.

Seems like he will build the best defense given whatever he has to work with. As much as I hated to see Grinch leave I think Claeys will do a great job.

When I coached our defense came from the Bum Phillips tree. It was a numbers defense. It was a multiple defense that that was 4-3, 6-1, etc. It was designed for lesser talented kids. There was a lot of flexing, like the Dallas Cowboy defense under Landry. The free safety did not have the pressures of today's defenses. So if we were in a 6-1 look we responded, as though we were in a 4-3. The outside LB, 9 techniques had pass responsibility though. When Bum Phillips was with the Houston Oilers I had copies of his playbooks. He had switched to a 3-4, because it was easier for him to find LBs than DTs. It was still a multiple defense where the formation mislead the offense in what was the read defense they were in. My point is I do not think it makes a difference as to whether Claey's runs a 4-3 or a 3-4 he should be able to do whatever he wants to do with multiple misleading formations. I know he spent some time with Bum Phillips' son Wade. I only want Claey's to do whatever he is comfortable with and get the PAC 12 hell.

Reactions: Coug1990
I think most of you already know this, but I am going to point this out for clarity. WSU has experienced, proven, and innovative coaches on both side of the ball in Leach and Claeys. They will do more with less, than just about any coaches actively coaching. As recruiting improves, it is going to be awesome. I cannot wait for next season.

Many of the posters here seem to have some knowledge of football. I have learned a lot of WSU's history. Once Leach's staff is complete. Looking forward to hearing who is going to coach backs and the new addition, hopefully an active recruiter.

I think most of you already know this, but I am going to point this out for clarity. WSU has experienced, proven, and innovative coaches on both side of the ball in Leach and Claeys. They will do more with less, than just about any coaches actively coaching. As recruiting improves, it is going to be awesome. I cannot wait for next season.

Many of the posters here seem to have some knowledge of football. I have learned a lot of WSU's history. Once Leach's staff is complete. Looking forward to hearing who is going to coach backs and the new addition, hopefully an active recruiter.

I can't wait for next season vs UW! :D

From his brandy quote he seems flexible. He likes the 43 but prioritizes getting speed on the field. He also worked with Wade Phillips on the 34. Seems to like multiple fronts given the situation which makes sense. I also think he likes to blitz more than Grinch but could be wrong there.

Seems like he will build the best defense given whatever he has to work with. As much as I hated to see Grinch leave I think Claeys will do a great job.
This conversation is so 10 years ago. Most good defensive coaches use a combination of both in a game and also have long yardage packages that utilize 3-5 DE OLB types on the line, sometimes not a one of them with a hand in the dirt! What do you call that, an 0-7?Most coaches use different fronts and packages that utilize the best front 7 for the given situation in a variety of stances. Not sure why people give a shit about 3-4 vs 4-3 anymore other than to try and sound smart. Clayes will do the same and all will be good.

This conversation is so 10 years ago. Most good defensive coaches use a combination of both in a game and also have long yardage packages that utilize 3-5 DE OLB types on the line, sometimes not a one of them with a hand in the dirt! What do you call that, an 0-7?Most coaches use different fronts and packages that utilize the best front 7 for the given situation in a variety of stances. Not sure why people give a shit about 3-4 vs 4-3 anymore other than to try and sound smart. Clayes will do the same and all will be good.
I have seen in in different articles that Leach prefers a 34 so seems to matter to him. At the end of the day multiple fronts is nothing new though so you are probably correct. More importantly Claeys has said he wants to get speed on the field even if that mean 1 DT and 10 other guys and that was before what Grinch did last season.

End of day, I'm excited to see where we go under Claeys regardless of what our base defense looks like.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT