ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Chun named to CFP selection committee...

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
Note: I posted this under the thread..."I'll give Shultz some credit"....in case others missed it.

WSU AD Pat Chun named to College Football Playoff selection committee​

Greg WoodsFeb. 8, 2024 at 3:53 pm
By
The Spokesman-Review
PULLMAN — Washington State just gained another seat at the table.

WSU athletic director Pat Chun has been named to the College Football Playoff Selection Committee, the organization announced Thursday, giving the Cougars two positions of power on the committee.

That’s in addition to university president Kirk Schulz, the Pac-12’s representative on the CFP’s management committee, who is currently holding up the vote on a potential change to the playoff format.

At a meeting ahead of last month’s national championship game in Houston, CFP Board of Managers (which includes a university president from each of the 10 FBS conferences and Notre Dame) was ready to move to the 12-team model from a 6+6 format to 5+7, accounting for the Pac-12’s restructuring by replacing one automatic qualifier with an at-large spot.

Schulz, though, isn’t voting in favor of that. For the format change to take place under the current contract — which runs through 2025 — the vote must be unanimous, so Schulz’s holdout is delaying any possible change to the playoff format, according to Yahoo Sports’ Ross Dellenger.

Schulz is trying to keep the 6+6 format (six highest-ranked conference champions and the next six highest-ranked teams) because it guarantees a spot in the playoff for the champion of the Pac-12, which Washington State and Oregon State are trying to rebuild. In the interim, they’re partnering with the Mountain West Conference for a two-year scheduling agreement to provide both schools with games.

The revenue sharing aspect is no doubt important to Schulz, whose school (as a power-conference entity) is expected to receive around $25 million per year as part of the 12-team playoff.

“I think [Schulz] just sitting on his vote trying, at the end of the day, to get a little more money from the CFP,” wrote CBS Sports reporter Dennis Dodd, citing an anonymous source. “He’s not a fire-thrower guy. He’s made it clear that he thinks that he and Oregon State need a little something special.”

Greg Woods Washington State beat writer for The Spokesman-Review

There are a lot of things to like here, but for me the biggest is that this move would not have happened if we were completely irrelevant...

Reactions: M-I-Coug and Coug90
There are a lot of things to like here, but for me the biggest is that this move would not have happened if we were completely irrelevant...
Precisely. This is sneaky good news. Think it’s interesting that it’s coming at the same time news comes out about Schultz cock blocking the playoff changes. WSU is clearly not F’ing around and expects to stay P5 one way or another. From what I can see we’ve got all these assholes by the balls and there’s going to have to be concessions for them to get what they want. Multiple positions of leverage.

THis has to have been a negotiated concession. There's no way the other 4 conferences would have put anyone from WSU or OSU on this committee if Schulz didn't have the veto on any changes to the CFP.

I feel like things are lining up for another version of realignment. WSU and OSU have leverage and at some point, namely if the networks want the 5+7 model, the dollars to take care of WSU and OSU will show up.

The interesting thing here is that everyone knows that in the long run, the SEC and B1G hope to make everyone else irrelevant in the discussion.

I was talking with a co-worker who is a KSU grad and he's very well aware that the Big 12 does not have a single truly compelling football program left. They need WSU and OSU to be successful in smaller programs being able to be relevant. If we fail, it's a bad long term signal for them

The interesting thing here is that everyone knows that in the long run, the SEC and B1G hope to make everyone else irrelevant in the discussion.

I was talking with a co-worker who is a KSU grad and he's very well aware that the Big 12 does not have a single truly compelling football program left. They need WSU and OSU to be successful in smaller programs being able to be relevant. If we fail, it's a bad long term signal for them
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I keep coming back to how more fan eyeballs make for more media money. Cutting everyone but B10/SEC out of the competition will hurt media dollars. I talked the other day to a B10 friend. He thinks the league leadership is delusional and that the leadership believes that it can be like English Premier League, where the top teams will draw all the eyeballs. He said that they don't realize that school loyalty is what drives most college interest. If they wanted pro, they'd watch NFL.

I think he is right.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I keep coming back to how more fan eyeballs make for more media money. Cutting everyone but B10/SEC out of the competition will hurt media dollars. I talked the other day to a B10 friend. He thinks the league leadership is delusional and that the leadership believes that it can be like English Premier League, where the top teams will draw all the eyeballs. He said that they don't realize that school loyalty is what drives most college interest. If they wanted pro, they'd watch NFL.

I think he is right.
Yeah this is the fallacy of their position. There aren’t enough eyeballs in Ann Arbor, Tuscaloosa, and Norman to satisfy the bloated TV deals these conferences are getting. You’ve got to have programs all over the map in every major city that are relevant or it won’t work.

Yeah this is the fallacy of their position. There aren’t enough eyeballs in Ann Arbor, Tuscaloosa, and Norman to satisfy the bloated TV deals these conferences are getting. You’ve got to have programs all over the map in every major city that are relevant or it won’t work.
Yeah I had not really thought of that. I guess the SEC stealing Texas and the B1G stealing the LA schools and mutts helps with the potential eyeballs. I you look at state populations, the B1G and SEC have teams in pretty much all the big ones other than New York and North Carolina, And the B1G has the only close major schools to NY.

Here's a very similar article from CBS Sports 4 days ago.

CBS Sports (should be no pay wall)

This quote in the article states OSU's & WSU's strategy:

"We recognize there is going to be a point we have to make a decision … If we can't get into one of the two [power] leagues then it's going to be either building out a league or doing something with the Mountain West," said a source involved with the discussions who was not authorized to speak publicly.

"We recognize there is going to be a point we have to make a decision … If we can't get into one of the two [power] leagues then it's going to be either building out a league or doing something with the Mountain West," said a source involved with the discussions who was not authorized to speak publicly.
Which I linked 2 days ago in my "Give Shulz Credit" thread.

Really interesting if that quote is accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if it was slightly misquoted, and they meant to refer to a "power" conference. There's no way in hell WSU or OSU are getting into the SEC or B1G, so it is odd to me that they would have even been speaking about that possibility if that is how one reads the reference to the "two [power] leagues." If they meant something more like "the two power conferences that are somewhat feasible options," that might make more sense, although I can't imagine WSU or OSU even wanting to be in the ACC at this point.

Oops, my bad. I don't read all the threads here. I'm lurking at about 4 to 6 different message boards, LOL.
Really. Like where? (if they are somewhat Coug related that is) I've been hanging on the Rivals UNLV Board since they will soon be conference mates. Other than that.....not much.

Really interesting if that quote is accurate. I wouldn't be surprised if it was slightly misquoted, and they meant to refer to a "power" conference. There's no way in hell WSU or OSU are getting into the SEC or B1G, so it is odd to me that they would have even been speaking about that possibility if that is how one reads the reference to the "two [power] leagues." If they meant something more like "the two power conferences that are somewhat feasible options," that might make more sense, although I can't imagine WSU or OSU even wanting to be in the ACC at this point.
I agree: OSU and WSU aren't going to be joining the B1G or SEC.

I also agree there would be no interest in joining the ACC by either of our schools. Florida State wants out, and when they leave, Clemson, the NCs, Miami, and/or Virginia probably will be leaving, too. So, not much of a conference will be left. And certainly nothing worth flying across the country for.

The "two [power] leagues" must be a reference to ACC and Big 12.

Reactions: 425cougfan
I've seen elsewhere that the two conferences he meant were B12 and ACC.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Really. Like where? (if they are somewhat Coug related that is) I've been hanging on the Rivals UNLV Board since they will soon be conference mates. Other than that.....not much.
Daily I check "WazzuWatch", "Benny's House", and the "Sports Forum" at the Mountain West Conference forum. MWC forum has a 1700+ page thread going on regarding conference realignment. and I've read every post for the last 800+ pages.

About once a week to once a month I also check out a Cal Bears, Stanford, and Utah State message boards. You can see a 'passing comment' at the Cal Bears forum about returning to the PAC-12, but nothing of the sort exists at the Stanford forum.

Daily I check "WazzuWatch", "Benny's House", and the "Sports Forum" at the Mountain West Conference forum. MWC forum has a 1700+ page thread going on regarding conference realignment. and I've read every post for the last 800+ pages.

About once a week to once a month I also check out a Cal Bears, Stanford, and Utah State message boards. You can see a 'passing comment' at the Cal Bears forum about returning to the PAC-12, but nothing of the sort exists at the Stanford forum.
Thanks bud. Although....a link or 2 would be nice, particularly to this MW Conference forum...... :)

I've seen elsewhere that the two conferences he meant were B12 and ACC.
Thanks ... that makes a lot of sense, although I'm a little surprised anyone from WSU or OSU would still be trying to get into the ACC, and I'm one of the most ardent "do almost anything to stay in a power conference" people out there. Will be interesting to see this play out.

Jeez, it looks like you might need to get a real life! lol

Jeez, it looks like you might need to get a real life! lol
LOL. No.

Before Oregon and Washington decided to destroy the PAC-12, I wasn't spending anytime on any sports related message boards. Now I spend about 30 minutes to an hour a day following conference realignment and how that impacts Oregon State.

What about you? Deflecting?

Yahoo! Sports article (no paywall):

WSU's Kirk Schulz to propose to CFP leaders that Pac-12 be treated as power conference for 'extended future'. Link: WSU's Kirk Schulz

If you keep scrolling past the Kirk Schulz article, there's one about ESPN extending the college football playoff agreement through 2032

LOL. No.

Before Oregon and Washington decided to destroy the PAC-12, I wasn't spending anytime on any sports related message boards. Now I spend about 30 minutes to an hour a day following conference realignment and how that impacts Oregon State.

What about you? Deflecting?
This is really the only board I go to for sports. Will follow links to other places for articles if it sounds interesting enough. The comment about reading through the most recent 800 pages was what got me. :)

Reactions: M-I-Coug
This is really the only board I go to for sports. Will follow links to other places for articles if it sounds interesting enough. The comment about reading through the most recent 800 pages was what got me. :)
I went to the Mtn West board. Interesting, but a strange format. I like the UNLV board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT