ADVERTISEMENT

Claeys defensive scheme

cougarhawk1

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2019
Id have to study the film but to be as crazy out of postion as the d was for much of the night he has to have them heavily leveraged gambling to take away something ucla was supposed to do

When you get burned that bad a straight up vanilla defense makes a lot more sense

With the kind of offensive production we had you only need to slow them down not shut them out

Personnel needs to be changed and his gameplanning is bad

I saw it firsthand at houston the d does not come out ready to play

Id have to study the film but to be as crazy out of postion as the d was for much of the night he has to have them heavily leveraged gambling to take away something ucla was supposed to do

When you get burned that bad a straight up vanilla defense makes a lot more sense

With the kind of offensive production we had you only need to slow them down not shut them out

Personnel needs to be changed and his gameplanning is bad

I saw it firsthand at houston the d does not come out ready to play

I'm going to go with the coach who's been doing this for years on this one. If there's an issue with this defense, it's that we have guys that are trying to do too much. They are missing tackles, leaving their assignments and taking bad angles because they are all collectively trying too hard to cover for each other and creating problems by doing so.

Last edited:
Simple question - how much does the loss of Jalen Thompson effect the defense? Are people playing positions that might not be there best because of the reshuffling of personnel?

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I'm going to go with the coach who's been doing this for years on this one. If there's an issue with this defense, it's that we have guys that are trying to do too much. They are missing tackles, leaving their assignments and taking bad angles because they are all collectively trying to hard to cover for each other and creating problems by doing so.

They're not trying to do too much.

They can't do their jobs.

Simple question - how much does the loss of Jalen Thompson effect the defense? Are people playing positions that might not be there best because of the reshuffling of personnel?
I hav been wondering the same thing. I am not sure it caused a lot of people to play out of position. He was a very sure tackler and would be a stabilizer. When he got suspended I said his loss was probably worth one win. Maybe last night was that one win.

Brain, Thompson was a big loss. We needed the experienced leadership, as well as the individual play.

The panic that set in last night, which IMHO led to what Flat described; guys trying to do too much and therefore being unable to perform their own job; is the sort of thing that a leader keeps under control. My biggest Defensive concern after last night is not the lack of talent; the talent was there. It is not the lack of execution; that can be fixed. My biggest concern is the lack of experienced leadership. If we have people who can step up in that area, it is clear that they have not yet fully done so.

That said, thousands of years of history proves that sometimes all it takes is one bloodbath like this to forge the soft steel into something more useful. Audie Murphy comes to mind, but most infantry that served in the interior of Vietnam had their equivalent experience. Every active war has similar situations. The same generic sort of thing happens in sports, business, personal relationships....pretty much everything having to do with human beings. Living through one example of letting panic overcome your training is usually all that someone needs to develop into a more resilient person. And last night was the perfect storm. A bad call initiated it, where 5 guys were mugging a receiver (one clearly has his hand hooked under the back of the receiver's helmet, and is literally trying to pull his head off). No whistle to stop the play. And the replay showed enough to me to make it about 90% clear that an elbow hit the ground under the 5 man dog pile before the ball squirted loose. That turnover started their comeback. A competent PAC officiating job on that single play would have kept the nightmare from beginning. After that, it was on us as WR after WR tried for extra yardage and exposed the ball. If any of those guys had hit the ground when two people had them in their grasp, the outcome would have been different. The O could have simply kept the margin in place, since UCLA's D didn't stop us. But the combination of an increasingly panic stricken D, an O with folks who abandoned good sense in their effort to break the big play, and the occasional pass interference call that went unflagged, was enough for the finish that we saw.

My guess is that we pull out heads out, understand what happened, and give Utah a good game. I've thought all year that Utah was our toughest challenge, so I'm not predicting a win. But I expect something much different than what we saw last night.

Reactions: walzuu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT