ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Decisions

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Dickert has been very public in holding up his hand and saying that the bad coaching calls in the last couple weeks are on him. That said, I'm just kind of curious if he's letting Arbuckle make the calls or if he is really that directly involved. To some degree, it doesn't matter, but I think a lot of what we've seen on some of our sketchy play calling is really more Arbuckle than Dickert. I will say that the fake field goal, skipped field goals and some of the other fourth down conversions is definitely something that Dickert has the responsibility for.

Regardless, it's good for Dickert to let Arbuckle figure things out without it being a spectacle focusing on a relatively young guy figuring out his way. I would like the learning to focus on getting away from throwing for 8 yards when we need to gain 10 or other instances where routes aren't enough to get us first downs.

Dickert has been very public in holding up his hand and saying that the bad coaching calls in the last couple weeks are on him. That said, I'm just kind of curious if he's letting Arbuckle make the calls or if he is really that directly involved. To some degree, it doesn't matter, but I think a lot of what we've seen on some of our sketchy play calling is really more Arbuckle than Dickert. I will say that the fake field goal, skipped field goals and some of the other fourth down conversions is definitely something that Dickert has the responsibility for.

Regardless, it's good for Dickert to let Arbuckle figure things out without it being a spectacle focusing on a relatively young guy figuring out his way. I would like the learning to focus on getting away from throwing for 8 yards when we need to gain 10 or other instances where routes aren't enough to get us first downs.
Well, considering they are 4-0, my criticism will be fairly muted.

Two things I question re the coaching right now:
(1) get the holder and FG stuff figured out before it costs us a game, it dam near did Friday; and
(2) the staff seems to be falling too far in love with Wayshawn. He's not the right guy for all situations and is starting to show the freshman tendency of bouncing outside all the time.

Well, considering they are 4-0, my criticism will be fairly muted.

Two things I question re the coaching right now:
(1) get the holder and FG stuff figured out before it costs us a game, it dam near did Friday; and
(2) the staff seems to be falling too far in love with Wayshawn. He's not the right guy for all situations and is starting to show the freshman tendency of bouncing outside all the time.
Concur. Seems like Mateer holding is simply a warning to the other team that we might fake it. But having that be a pitchout on 4th and 11 is not what I would have had in mind. Hey, 4th and 3 and it would have been great.

And agree on Wayshawn. 8 carries total by other backs and Hutson (not counting Mateer and Janikowski) and 22 for Wayshawn?

Concur. Seems like Mateer holding is simply a warning to the other team that we might fake it. But having that be a pitchout on 4th and 11 is not what I would have had in mind. Hey, 4th and 3 and it would have been great.

And agree on Wayshawn. 8 carries total by other backs and Hutson (not counting Mateer and Janikowski) and 22 for Wayshawn?
Yeah, that fake FG Janikowski looked like he was running in mud. For that play to work, you can't be able to time the ballcarrier with a sundial.

Our playcalling Friday - especially in the 3rd and early 4th - was very predictable. Arbuckle's strength is supposed to be multiple options out of multiple formations, but we were straight vanilla for 25 minutes.

My biggest issue with Mateer holding is that it's an extra opportunity for him to get hurt when it's not necessary. You can't convince me that Jaxon Potter or Zevi Eckhaus can't hold. I guess you could argue that it makes the defense respect the fake...but you don't have to respect a play that never gets run.

Speaking of plays that never get run - never give the ball to Janikowski again.

I can't tell if we are anti-field goal or if there is just too much uncertaintly with the current state of the field goal kicking, or both. We hear so many experts and broadcasters dismissing teams that kick field goals, but the two kicks we didn't take the last two weekends that ended in zero points nearly lost both games. The Apple Cup and the game Friday would have been very different with 3 extra points in the first half. Of course if we miss them it zero points either way...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT