ADVERTISEMENT

Cougs Add 2019 Walk-On QB

At the very least he'll be a valuable member of the scout team and a useful set of eyes in the film room. This is a quality get

He had an offer from MIT. Interesting.

No such thing as an athletic scholarship at a d3 school. Academic money for sure. But saying he had an offer makes it sound like he turned down athletic money.

Honestly, if he had a scholarship to MIT he shouldve taken it. And typically I will deny any schools academic superiority over WSU. MIT is an amazing school.

Boyle was an all state punter and kicker. I'm guessing thats where he will be mainly looked at. Started at safety on defense, also was being recruited for soccer.

Reactions: Cougzz and taf88
Boyle was an all state punter and kicker. I'm guessing thats where he will be mainly looked at. Started at safety on defense, also was being recruited for soccer.
Thanks for the info. Yes, sounds like a great addition and I look forward to seeing him between the whites.

There is a certain “coolness factor” about our facilities. Parents and HS’rs love them. It’s not just the bells and whistles either. People are working hard on IPF. I will never be surprised when we sign any athlete

5 scholarship and 3 really good walk-ons at the quarterback position. There has to be some aspiring coaches in there somewhere.

A lot of kids go to college with dreams of playing in the NFL.... if they were smart they would see the future of football is the passing game and how the Air Raid concepts fit into it.... there might be more $$ in coaching than playing... just sayin’

The kind of student that passes on offers from MIT and the Ivy League should be able to help raise that 932 APR number.

A lot of kids go to college with dreams of playing in the NFL.... if they were smart they would see the future of football is the passing game and how the Air Raid concepts fit into it.... there might be more $$ in coaching than playing... just sayin’
Totally agree. The QB's have the most access to Leach and learning his offense. It sure payed off for Harrell. A million a year according to this source. Would of made $300,000 to stay as NT's OC.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...harrell-to-be-uscs-next-offensive-coordinator

Totally agree. The QB's have the most access to Leach and learning his offense. It sure payed off for Harrell. A million a year according to this source. Would of made $300,000 to stay as NT's OC.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...harrell-to-be-uscs-next-offensive-coordinator

The NFL, for most, is short money. It isnt a long list if guys that play 10+ years and make $100M in their career.

If you can learn front to back a scheme that’s hot, you have a shot coaching. Especially if youre with the right guys. That can be a long career and right now BCS coaching is nothing more than a money grab, powerball winner, get rich quick scheme, Oklahoma land race for cash. Get in while the gettin’s good.

Seriously, there are guys coaching tight ends, might be 5 or 6 kids total, making $300,000 or more per year. Maybe they have to coach some special teams. ****!ng unreal!! Glorified ****!ng middle school PE teachers making $300,000 to teach half a dozen kids to block and catch!!!! hahahahahaha

When is this scam gonna end????

Reactions: random soul
The NFL, for most, is short money. It isnt a long list if guys that play 10+ years and make $100M in their career.

If you can learn front to back a scheme that’s hot, you have a shot coaching. Especially if youre with the right guys. That can be a long career and right now BCS coaching is nothing more than a money grab, powerball winner, get rich quick scheme, Oklahoma land race for cash. Get in while the gettin’s good.

Seriously, there are guys coaching tight ends, might be 5 or 6 kids total, making $300,000 or more per year. Maybe they have to coach some special teams. ****!ng unreal!! Glorified ****!ng middle school PE teachers making $300,000 to teach half a dozen kids to block and catch!!!! hahahahahaha

You basically broke down the Walden-Wulff era.

Walden's tantrums in Fall 2011 and the alt-Walden resistance to Leach since then wasn't about 9-40 football or kids locked in sheds, it was about protecting those jobs at the courthouse.

And how much are the folks in the science faculty making who have responsibility for educating a hundred or so students? Things are seriously out of whack.
Biggs is right about coaching being a more attractive and reasonable goal than the NFL.

And how much are the folks in the science faculty making who have responsibility for educating a hundred or so students? Things are seriously out of whack.
Biggs is right about coaching being a more attractive and reasonable goal than the NFL.

How much should they make? Im not advocating for the glorified gym teacher coaches TEs to be making $35,000 per year. Im just surprised that in an era of corporations taking all the money that that much has trickled down to an employee doing so little. I'm surprised the schools have gone along with the head man and paid that much.

If professors were smart.... they would get into coaching. Seriously, some of these coaches arent bright.

Really? When did that happen? :eek:

Just kidding. It is and has been ridiculous. Someone with too much time on their hands should do an analysis of CFB coaches salaries over the last 20-30 years as compared to other indicators (cost of living/inflation, wage levels in general, etc.). I'm certain that it would mirror the similar explosion in corporate exec salaries vs the rank and file worker. By luck - not at all comparing the two.

And while schemes and plays may become more complicated, the basic jobs haven't changed. Same number of players, 12 games instead of 11 (big deal).

There is just nothing that can be done to stop it. One team or one conference can't stop it. The NCAA clearly can't stop it. The fans and universities just keep ponying up more money to cover it.

Makes you wonder who/when we start getting former Cougars on staff (as graduate assistants or the like). Minshew has obvious coaching aspirations, but he currently has bigger fish to fry. Curious if Morrow, Marks or someone else will pop up somewhere (WSU or a different air raid school).

No such thing as an athletic scholarship at a d3 school. Academic money for sure. But saying he had an offer makes it sound like he turned down athletic money.

Honestly, if he had a scholarship to MIT he shouldve taken it. And typically I will deny any schools academic superiority over WSU. MIT is an amazing school.
Something isn't washing here - you simply don't turn down a ride to go to MIT. You don't. If you applied there and they are offering to pay for your school, you go. You don't go to a state school to maybe kick on the football team.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Something isn't washing here - you simply don't turn down a ride to go to MIT. You don't. If you applied there and they are offering to pay for your school, you go. You don't go to a state school to maybe kick on the football team.

I don't know that his "offer" from MIT was necessarily for a "full ride"?

Many of the more expensive private schools offer scholarship money of varying amounts, but not necessarily "full ride money". Some of this is determined via the application process, and some of it can be determined via interview and even another "test/exam" of sorts.

Many of those students cobble together enough money to attend from the scholarship funds offered by the school, plus other grants, scholarships, loans and contributions from parents and the student working him/herself.

OTOH, if MIT was indeed offering a "full academic ride"....sure. No brainer (so to speak). I just doubt that was the case.

Many of the more expensive private schools offer scholarship money of varying amounts, but not necessarily "full ride money". Some of this is determined via the application process, and some of it can be determined via interview and even another "test/exam" of sorts.

Many of those students cobble together enough money to attend from the scholarship funds offered by the school, plus other grants, scholarships, loans and contributions from parents and the student working him/herself.

OTOH, if MIT was indeed offering a "full academic ride"....sure. No brainer (so to speak). I just doubt that was the case.
Decision came out just after that 8th of May thread here.

Maybe he read something there he liked?

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray

Agree. First couple of posts seemed to impky he turned down and MIT education for a WSU walk on spot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT