ADVERTISEMENT

Cougs-Beavs

If only someone could come up with a play on words combining "Cougar" and "Beaver"

Think New Amsterdam GIF by NBC

• Love
Reactions: Cougini5591
The Cascadia Cup could work. Implicitly claim ownership of Cascadia for the winner, regardless of what some Ducks or Dawgs, whose teams now play upper Midwest schools most of the time, have to say. I'm sure they'd spout off on social media for a bit, but it would get some attention.

Get a sizeable cup trophy that is slightly larger than the Apple Cup. Create a spot in the trophy case next to where they have the spot for the Apple Cup in the FOB.

That's one thing the Big Ten has going for it ... some of those named rivalries, with some schools having more than one, are kind of fun, like Minnesota and Wisconsin playing for Paul Bunyan's Axe, Iowa and Wisconsin playing for the Heartland Trophy, etc.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
The Cascadia Cup could work. Implicitly claim ownership of Cascadia for the winner, regardless of what some Ducks or Dawgs, whose teams now play upper Midwest schools most of the time, have to say. I'm sure they'd spout off on social media for a bit, but it would get some attention.

Get a sizeable cup trophy that is slightly larger than the Apple Cup. Create a spot in the trophy case next to where they have the spot for the Apple Cup in the FOB.

That's one thing the Big Ten has going for it ... some of those named rivalries, with some schools having more than one, are kind of fun, like Minnesota and Wisconsin playing for Paul Bunyan's Axe, Iowa and Wisconsin playing for the Heartland Trophy, etc.
Didn't ESPN dub uw-Oregon the Cascade cup?

I'd prefer something that ties into the state U/land grant aspect. But I'm not coming up with anything good.

I'd prefer something that ties into the state U/land grant aspect. But I'm not coming up with anything good.
Definitely possible. I had a similar thought but also have struggled to come up with anything. Tough thing is that the schools are in different parts of their respective states. If Oregon State was in eastern Oregon, something agricultural might make sense. But I keep thinking of something like a chainsaw, which is way too OS-focused for numerous reasons, and something about, say, wheat, which doesn't really make sense.

Maybe we should just grab the Cascadia Cup title no matter what someone at ESPN may have tried to label that Oregon/UW game as. Leave them with something lame relating to I-5.

Definitely possible. I had a similar thought but also have struggled to come up with anything. Tough thing is that the schools are in different parts of their respective states. If Oregon State was in eastern Oregon, something agricultural might make sense. But I keep thinking of something like a chainsaw, which is way too OS-focused for numerous reasons, and something about, say, wheat, which doesn't really make sense.

Maybe we should just grab the Cascadia Cup title no matter what someone at ESPN may have tried to label that Oregon/UW game as. Leave them with something lame relating to I-5.
What about a sponsor's name? The Weinhart/Rainier Cup? The trophy could be a big beer mug......

The Iowa State-Kansas State rivalry was dubbed "Farmageddon" a while back and now they call it that on ESPN.

Not sure if it was fans or administrators or whoever that came up with it.

@Flatlandcoug might know the story

My God, judging by the responses none of you even read the attached article.

Oregon Washington should be playing for the Douche Bag since both their fan bases represent so well.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
I agree, there should be a trophy. And it should be outrageous. My suggestion is a golden rooster. Because cougars and beavers both just want a nice cock.

MY GOD! Shame on you ingrates, and me, for not reading the Brand X article.
As opposed to the plethora of articles available from this site?
Btw, it's a pretty good read, especially the comments from Rece Davis.

Now there is the new Brand X Jim Sterk barf-fest interview, complete with a glowing recommendation for Anne McCoy. Who Sterk did not take along to SDSU, and who he did not reach out and snag when he went to Missouri. Then he went to Portland State and is now at Western? What kind of career path is that? And he blames equal revenue sharing (Moos pushed that through) for where are at today? That is a reach.

Bummer article on Jaylen Wells now projected as the 45th pick. Our almost nil chance of him going undrafted and coming back just went to zero.

I was just messing with you based on the "my god" thing. Agree that it's a pretty good read.

Personally, I think the "F U Guys" Cup would be brilliant.

It would dominate in TV Viewership/Advertising and merchandise sales.

Now there is the new Brand X Jim Sterk barf-fest interview, complete with a glowing recommendation for Anne McCoy. Who Sterk did not take along to SDSU, and who he did not reach out and snag when he went to Missouri. Then he went to Portland State and is now at Western? What kind of career path is that? And he blames equal revenue sharing (Moos pushed that through) for where are at today? That is a reach.

Bummer article on Jaylen Wells now projected as the 45th pick. Our almost nil chance of him going undrafted and coming back just went to zero.
That Sterk interview was about as informative as watching water evaporate.

Fell asleep half way through it. And that was after two cups of coffee.

That Sterk interview was about as informative as watching water evaporate.

Fell asleep half way through it. And that was after two cups of coffee.
My bad on my earlier post on this - Sterk was at PSU BEFORE WSU. I knew that. And since he is from Bellingham, it makes sense to be at WWU as his retirement job. He is 68 after all. Maybe he should run for President! Certainly not the go-to guy for commentary on the current state of major college athletics. A Moos interview would be interesting.

I don't understand why my fantastic idea of a beer-themed OESU game hasn't been met with vigorous concurrence. I chose Weinhardt/Rainier as sponsors because as far as I know they are the best selling beers in our states. Maybe not. Or we could name it something beer-generic - the "Hoist it" cup (kidding on that particular name) or some such thing, and allow for rotating beer sponsors each year who could trumpet their brands, have new T-shirts every year, taste-offs, etc. And the giant beer mug trophy would be cool.

I am serious here. This is a great idea.

Reactions: Cougini5591

Cascadia Cup is a non-starter, as that name is already in use by the Sounders, Timbers, and Whitecaps of Major League Soccer. I think Cascade Cup is also too close to that to be used.

Depending on what happens in the next year or so, perhaps the Loyalty Cup would work, being a shot at each of the Traitor Ten schools every time Loyalty Cup is printed or uttered.

Haven't had any inspirational ideas linked to agriculture or land grant themes yet.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Barnagedon

Battle of the barns. Trophy looks like an old barn.
I actually like that. Just own the implication and go with it. But never happening in terms of an official name with a trophy.

Kidding around here, but they could try to get Busch or Busch Light to sponsor it. Could have the Cougars and Beavers in the Busch Battle or the Battle for the Busch.

Last edited:
Cascadia Cup is a non-starter, as that name is already in use by the Sounders, Timbers, and Whitecaps of Major League Soccer. I think Cascade Cup is also too close to that to be used.

Depending on what happens in the next year or so, perhaps the Loyal Coug Cup would work, being a shot at each of the Traitor Ten schools every time Loyal Coug Cup is printed or uttered.

Haven't had any inspirational ideas linked to agriculture or land grant themes yet.
Fixed your post.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT