ADVERTISEMENT

Different view forward

altolug

Redshirt
Sep 29, 2013
I went back to 2015 for open games and how the season played out.
2015 Portland St L24-17...Season 9-4...Sun Bowl W 20-14 vs Miami
2916 EWU L 45-42...Season 8-5...Holiday Bowl L17-12 vs Minnesota
2017 Montana St W 31-0...Season 9-4...Holiday Bowl L42-17 Mich St
2018 Wyoming W 41-19...Season 11-2...Alamo Bowl W 28-26 Iowa
2019 New Mexico St W 58-7...Season 6-7...Cheese It Bowl L 31-21 Air Force
2020 Covid-19 season
We been here before and the season still turned out fine, but still a tough pill to swallow. We can pick apart any one of those opening game losses to a play here or there, but we ended up bowling. A Bowl game is what we shoot for every season. Hopefully this game will motivate coaches, players and fans to move in the right directions.

Difference is that in all of those games we had at least some semblance of a coherent strategy. Even in the losses you could see what we were trying to do, we just didn't do it well.

Last night, there did not seem to be a strategy. No game plan. We were all over the place, we weren't executing, and the opponent was one step ahead of us all night.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
I went back to 2015 for open games and how the season played out.
2015 Portland St L24-17...Season 9-4...Sun Bowl W 20-14 vs Miami
2916 EWU L 45-42...Season 8-5...Holiday Bowl L17-12 vs Minnesota
2017 Montana St W 31-0...Season 9-4...Holiday Bowl L42-17 Mich St
2018 Wyoming W 41-19...Season 11-2...Alamo Bowl W 28-26 Iowa
2019 New Mexico St W 58-7...Season 6-7...Cheese It Bowl L 31-21 Air Force
2020 Covid-19 season
We been here before and the season still turned out fine, but still a tough pill to swallow. We can pick apart any one of those opening game losses to a play here or there, but we ended up bowling. A Bowl game is what we shoot for every season. Hopefully this game will motivate coaches, players and fans to move in the right directions.
The thing is we have a different coach than those seasons. The more appropriate comparison would be to look at how Rolo has done after losses.

Difference is that in all of those games we had at least some semblance of a coherent strategy. Even in the losses you could see what we were trying to do, we just didn't do it well.

Last night, there did not seem to be a strategy. No game plan. We were all over the place, we weren't executing, and the opponent was one step ahead of us all night.
I'd say there probably is a gameplan, but it gets blown up everytime JDL takes off before the route trees develop.

We saw similar things in 2012/2013 when the players didn't quite know the offense yet, everyone on the board was scratching their heads asking "where's the all 9's? I thought this was a stretch the field offense?" And although that didn't change much over the next 8 years (where's the all 9's?), when Falk took the field the offense looked like what the air raid is supposed to. I hope that's what coming up later this year or next (if Rolo is still around).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT