ADVERTISEMENT

Don't get the pessimism for 2018

PeteTheChop

Hall Of Fame
May 25, 2005
Or maybe I should say I don't agree with it.

Even some of the top posters on CougZone are suggesting WSU will squeak into a lower-tier bowl game with a 6-6 record — or maybe even be home for the holidays.

But unless it's the quarterback situation (which, admittedly, is up in the air at this point even with the boatload of talent on hand), what points to a .500 or even worse season?

In 10 seasons at Texas Tech, Coach Mike Leach had no losing seasons.

Z-E-R-O.

Since completing the teardown and rebuilding job initiated by Coach Paul Wulff, CML and the Cougs have gone 9-4, 8-5 and 9-4 and finished in the upper-half of the Pac-12 North each time with three straight invites to traditional bowl games.

IMO, the schedule is very manageable:
  • 9/1— @Wyoming
  • 9/8 — San Jose State
  • 9/15 — Eastern
  • 9/21 — @Southern Cal
  • 9/29 — Utah
  • 10-5 — @OSU
  • 10/20 — UO
  • 10/27 — @Stanford
  • 11/3 — Cal-Berkeley
  • 11/10 — @Colorado
  • 11/17 — Arizona
  • 11/23 — UW
  1. Should definitely be 3-0 after the less than imposing non-conference schedule
  2. USC and Stanford look, on paper anyway, to be tough draws on the road, although it's not like the Cougs will be entering a hornet's nest with the lifeless atmosphere in Palo Alto
  3. Two weeks to get ready for Oregon coming to Pullman.
  4. Two straight mid- to late November home games could mean dicey Palouse weather for the visitors
  5. Washington must travel for the Apple Cup on a short week
  6. WSU has a Hall of Fame coach who could've gone to a deep-pocketed program like Tennessee if he had so chosen. Jonathan Smith (OSU), Mario Cristobal (UO), Justin Wilcox (Cal) and Kevin Sumlin (Arizona) are either unproven as head coaches or fired guys trying to resurrect their careers. How often do those things work out favorably?
If the QB situation works out as it typically does under CML, a big-play threat emerges at receiver and the D-Line stays healthy, then there's no reason to think this isn't another 8 or 9 win season with yet another well-respected bowl game in December or January.

Tell me I'm wrong :)

Even some of the top posters on CougZone are suggesting WSU will squeak into a lower-tier bowl game with a 6-6 record — or maybe even be home for the holidays.

But unless it's the quarterback situation (which, admittedly, is up in the air at this point even with the boatload of talent on hand), what points to a .500 or even worse season?

Z-E-R-O.

Since completing the teardown and rebuilding job initiated by Coach Paul Wulff, CML and the Cougs have gone 9-4, 8-5 and 9-4 and finished in the upper-half of the Pac-12 North each time with three straight invites to traditional bowl games.

• 9/1— @Wyoming
  • 9/8 — San Jose State
  • 9/15 — Eastern
  • 9/21 — @Southern Cal
  • 9/29 — Utah
  • 10-5 — @OSU
  • 10/20 — UO
  • 10/27 — @Stanford
  • 11/3 — Cal-Berkeley
  • 11/10 — @Colorado
  • 11/17 — Arizona
  • 11/23 — UW
  1. Should definitely be 3-0 after the less than imposing non-conference schedule
  2. USC and Stanford look, on paper anyway, to be tough draws on the road, although it's not like the Cougs will be entering a hornet's nest with the lifeless atmosphere in Palo Alto
  4. Two straight mid- to late November home games could mean dicey Palouse weather for the visitors
  6. WSU has a Hall of Fame coach who could've gone to a deep-pocketed program like Tennessee if he had so chosen. Jonathan Smith (OSU), Mario Cristobal (UO), Justin Wilcox (Cal) and Kevin Sumlin (Arizona) are either unproven as head coaches or fired guys trying to resurrect their careers. How often do those things work out favorably?
If the QB situation works out as it typically does under CML, a big-play threat emerges at receiver and the D-Line stays healthy, then there's no reason to think this isn't another 8 or 9 win season with yet another well-respected bowl game in December or January.

We have a D-line?

My views on why things could not go well.

1. New assistants that are adjusting to new players as well as a lot of youth in the system receivers, QB new starter etc.

2. Trench depth has a lot of fresh faces both on oline / d line

3. New DC to adjust to. New special teams to adjust to.

A lot of new coming next year. New QB, New special teams, new less experienced players new trench players new DC.

That’s just a lot of transition.

But on the other side here are my views on why we do well.

We still have players like James Williams back on offense. We have a lot of talented young receivers. Max Borghi is incoming we also have explosive guys like Keith Harrington and still have good size on the o-line.

The QB situation now has a Division i game experience QB incoming as well as incredibly talented young guys.

Also Clays is a very experienced DC and we still have an excellent DL coach with hook he is familiar. Wilson is also a familiar face and the other people coaching defense are quality. Yes we lose Hercules but there are talented guys returning. Pelleur, Molton, Dale etc.

So depending on how fast things can get we could win 6+ games and be going to the post season for the 4th time in a row.

Pessimism is too strong a word, but I will say that I'm expecting a drop off. We're not only replacing our top-2 QBs, but we don't have a QB on our roster who's had any meaningful reps in our system. We lost a good chunk of our offensive line, we have un unproven WR group that underperformed in 2017, and our defensive line is a huge question mark.

As it stands today, UW and Stanford should clearly be ranked well ahead of us. Few would debate that. Oregon, even with all of their coaching turnover, is probably a better bet at this time to finish ahead of us. USC, Utah, at Colorado, and Arizona are anything but lay ups.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we put together a 6 or 7 win season, but 9 getting to the 8 or 9 win mark? I don't see that right now.

UW could come out of playing USC ten minutes before a showdown with the Cuogs and still win 67-14.

Reactions: Cougzz
My views on why things could not go well.

1. New assistants that are adjusting to new players as well as a lot of youth in the system receivers, QB new starter etc.

2. Trench depth has a lot of fresh faces both on oline / d line

3. New DC to adjust to. New special teams to adjust to.

A lot of new coming next year. New QB, New special teams, new less experienced players new trench players new DC.

That’s just a lot of transition.

But on the other side here are my views on why we do well.

We still have players like James Williams back on offense. We have a lot of talented young receivers. Max Borghi is incoming we also have explosive guys like Keith Harrington and still have good size on the o-line.

The QB situation now has a Division i game experience QB incoming as well as incredibly talented young guys.

Also Clays is a very experienced DC and we still have an excellent DL coach with hook he is familiar. Wilson is also a familiar face and the other people coaching defense are quality. Yes we lose Hercules but there are talented guys returning. Pelleur, Molton, Dale etc.

So depending on how fast things can get we could win 6+ games and be going to the post season for the 4th time in a row.
While I agree with you on Williams, Borghi and Harrington, I am very, very pessimistic that Leach will use them to their full potential.

I think the pessimism primarily relates to QB situation although coaching turnover troubles some people too. To me the coaching situation isnt that big a deal. At QB, you just never know. Leach has never had to go with as green a group of QBs as he has returning. However there are always quite a few examples of freshmen QBs coming in and having success at a lot of schools. The grad transfer at least puts a floor on the position. I think there is a good chance Cooper or even Neville starts by mid season. Leach has never been one to platoon QBs, but this might be the season.

Taking in to account everything, I dont see us likely to win 8-9 games this season, but I think 6-7 is certainly possible or even likely.

Z-E-R-O.

• 9/1— @Wyoming
  • 9/8 — San Jose State
  • 9/15 — Eastern
  • 9/21 — @Southern Cal
  • 9/29 — Utah
  • 10-5 — @OSU
  • 10/20 — UO
  • 10/27 — @Stanford
  • 11/3 — Cal-Berkeley
  • 11/10 — @Colorado
  • 11/17 — Arizona
  • 11/23 — UW

Completely agree

Seems like even some of the most knowledgeable fans are having a hard time processing that CML has built a legitimate Top 25 caliber program.

These last three seasons (19-8 in the Pac-12!) were not a fluke or aberration.

This is what WSU Football has become under a Hall of Fame coach.

Z-E-R-O.

• 9/1— @Wyoming
  • 9/8 — San Jose State
  • 9/15 — Eastern
  • 9/21 — @Southern Cal
  • 9/29 — Utah
  • 10-5 — @OSU
  • 10/20 — UO
  • 10/27 — @Stanford
  • 11/3 — Cal-Berkeley
  • 11/10 — @Colorado
  • 11/17 — Arizona
  • 11/23 — UW

1. We are replacing three starters on the OL and nobody can point to the guys that played last year and say that we have five starters that we can trust.
  2. We lost our most dynamic defensive lineman when Mata'afa declared for the NFL draft.
  3. Half of our coaches are new, raising the potential for some confusion on play calls in the heat of the moment...plus system changes always have the potential for peril.
  4. We don't have a QB that has taken a single snap in a game at WSU.
  5. We don't have any returning wide receivers that truly impressed last year.
  6. We lost our best all around running back in Morrow (although James Williams is good)
  7. We lack depth at Nose Tackle and don't have anyone with experience at the right size to play the position.
  8. We struggled against teams with fundamentally sound defenses the last couple years.
Based on how WSU has performed over our entire history, 2018 would be a 3 to 4 win team based on the players we lost and the issues that are looming. Leach has proven that he can lead us to 3-9 seasons.....twice. You can be excited about zero losing seasons at Texas Tech but he's had 3 losing seasons at WSU. All the indicators say that we are going to struggle.

That said, everyone was expecting us to struggle the last couple years and the team has exceeded expectations for the most part the last two seasons. I can't see our team beating USC and Utah with the way things sit right now, so that means that we are probably going to be 4-2 going into the Oregon game. If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Oregon gets a win against us this year. They played a lot better with Herbert late in the season and I'm not optimistic.

Stanford is too fundamentally sound to lose to us when we are depleted. We'll give them a dog fight, but I expect to be 4-4 after that game. I do like our chances against Cal at home and it wouldn't surprise me to see us win that one to get to 5-4. Colorado went into freefall last year so that game is a 50/50 game in my mind. At home, I'd give us the edge, but late in the year in Boulder makes me nervous. Arizona in Pullman is another 50/50 game. Their QB is incredibly dynamic but will he be 100% late in the season in the cold? UW is going to boat race us again.

As mentioned, it's a sad statement about OOC quality when an FCS team is going to be the toughest game. I could see us getting 7 wins and I could see us finishing 5-7. I do believe that OSU, Cal, CU & Arizona are sketchy enough that we can go 3-1 against that group and get to a bowl game. Leach should win Pac-12 coach of the year if we finish 9-3 this year. Heck, he probably should be candidate for national coach of the year honors if it happens. I'll finish by saying that it's a testament to Leach that we can even talk about a 6-7 win season and seriously mean it.

That said, everyone was expecting us to struggle the last couple years

?

WSU was No. 24 in the AP preseason poll in 2017.

WSU would have been No. 27 (if there were such a thing) in the AP preseason poll in 2016.

The Cougars were expected to be good — and, lo and behold, they were.

1. We are replacing three starters on the OL and nobody can point to the guys that played last year and say that we have five starters that we can trust.
  2. We lost our most dynamic defensive lineman when Mata'afa declared for the NFL draft.
  3. Half of our coaches are new, raising the potential for some confusion on play calls in the heat of the moment...plus system changes always have the potential for peril.
  4. We don't have a QB that has taken a single snap in a game at WSU.
  5. We don't have any returning wide receivers that truly impressed last year.
  6. We lost our best all around running back in Morrow (although James Williams is good)
  7. We lack depth at Nose Tackle and don't have anyone with experience at the right size to play the position.
  8. We struggled against teams with fundamentally sound defenses the last couple years.

Good analysis Flatland; there's no doubt there are some legitimate concerns.

BUT this is now a program with a head coach and players who know what it takes to win.

That can make up for some shortcomings.

The opener at Wyoming will be intriguing. That's not a gimme, particularly for a season opener and the location. I've seen many a WSU team struggle in games like that over the course of the past 30 years. Fortunately, like us, Wyoming will be breaking in a new QB. We can't afford to give up any OOC games this season.

Pete, good thread. Thank you for starting it.

I'm going to make a somewhat arbitrary, no hard stats to support it statement. But it is something that I believe, having followed PAC football for many, many years.

The difference between an average PAC QB in his first season working at P5 speed and an experienced, better than average QB (Falk) is 3 wins.

We don't yet know if the QB who emerges from spring ball will be average or better than average. I have enough confidence in Leach's evaluation skills and recruiting that I don't expect him to be below average, but at this point we really don't know if he will be average or above average. And who ever he is, he will not have any live action PAC experience.

If he is above average, the lack of experience might only cost us 2 games when compared to Falk.

All of that of course assumes that the rest of the supporting cast is similar in ability. I think in a generic sense that it probably will be. One more year of program development will probably be offset by the profusion of new assistants. Net/net, about the same. Drop either 2 or 3 games due to QB experience. The favorable non-conference slate probably helps get the new QB up to speed.

I see at least 6 wins. 7 is not a stretch. 8 wins (5 in league) with a rookie QB who wasn't even the back up last year? That is probably the top end. And no way do we get to 8 wins without a more fully utilized running threat. The good news is that the pieces are there to have that running threat.

If I were betting, I'd say 7 regular season wins is most likely; 3 non-league and 4 league. The most likely PAC wins are OSU, Cal and Colorado. The other league win will have to be an upset.

If I were betting, I'd say 7 regular season wins is most likely; 3 non-league and 4 league. The most likely PAC wins are OSU, Cal and Colorado. The other league win will have to be an upset.
Are you factoring in our annual inexplicable loss somewhere in there?

?

WSU was No. 24 in the AP preseason poll in 2017.

WSU would have been No. 27 (if there were such a thing) in the AP preseason poll in 2016.

The Cougars were expected to be good — and, lo and behold, they were.

Last year was a weird year. We were ranked #24 in the preseason poll but if you look at the actual preseason expectations for the Cougs, most pundits felt that WSU would start out hot and fade to 7-5 or 8-4. We were a trendy pick to beat USC, but almost everyone expected us to struggle against Stanford, Oregon and Colorado. Ironically, we beat all of them but lost to a bad Cal team and got ran over by UA's QB.

In 2016, we weren't expected to be bad, but the general consensus was that we wouldn't get to 9-4 again. Heck, most of our fans were expecting 7-5 prior to the 2016 season.

For me, I'm expecting us to struggle, but it's a testament to what Leach has done that we think that a bowl game is still likely.

Something to consider:
Whoever the new QB is he will be far more mobile than Falk ever was. (nothing against Luke but it's something in the Air Raid that was missing with him).
Add to a more mobile QB you have Harrington - he is a dynamic back but had fumbling issues. If he can control this and if Borghi is half as good as his press clippings I think the Cougar running game can surprise.

The first three games will be crucial for the Cougs. Not just for wins but to get the team in sync. A solid game against the men of Troy in game 4 could really solidify the team's chances of a bowl game. (win or lose).
Leach has the team in a winning state of mind and he needs to keep this going. One thing for sure : Coug games are rarely dull.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
While I agree with you on Williams, Borghi and Harrington, I am very, very pessimistic that Leach will use them to their full potential.
Maybe, maybe not. We ran less last year because the O-line could not open holes consistently. Dillard is solid. Hopefully, Mauigoa has added heft and strength during the offseason. I expect Osur-Myers to replace Cody with little reduction in quality. He did well filling in last year. CML and staff are high on Lucas so I put him at RT. RG? One of the JC kids probably. If these guys can run block well then the RBs will perform. If not then they won't. I just don't see it as Leach's desire but the ability of the O-line that has held back our running game.

Too many variables, which I'll list in least to most worrisome.

--I'm not super worried about the quarterbacks because I figure whoever wins the job is going to be at least functional in the offense. Leach has a track record there. The starter may not be all conference or anything, but can get us enough points to be competitive.

--I also think that replacing Luvu won't hurt too bad because we'll have other players (Oguayo and others) that we can plug in there. The linebacker group as a whole will probably turn out to be a strength, even if it may not always seem like it if the d-line doesn't do its job.

--Losing Morrow and Wicks takes away the power element of our running game. Jamal ran bigger than his size and Wicks could move a pile. Williams and Harrington are dancers. I expect A LOT of passing plays in short yardage this year.

--The new outside receivers. I'm super excited about their talent, and frankly consider a deep threat or two from here to be the key to the offense this season. As we've all talked about, the top has to come off the opposing defense for this offense to approach optimum, and this last year in particular that did not happen. Tay Martin is a start here, but we'll need at least one of the frosh to put some fear into opposing secondaries to give the quarterback and the slot guys more room to manuever than they've had. Not everyone is as accurate as Falk.

--The blocking. Not just the offensive line, which I think will yield a functional group barring injuries, but pass protection from the backs (Harrington is small and hasn't had many reps in 2 years, Borghi and Perry are basically frosh) and run blocking from the receivers HAS to improve. Not having Robert Lewis out there last year probably cost us several explosives in the screen/shovel pass game. Calvin and Bell were less than spectacular in this respect.

--All the new coaches. I think the transition won't be horrible, but there's going to be bumps in the road, probably more frequently early on. And our most winnable games are early on.

--The defensive line. Losing Mata'afa, Ekuale, AND McBroom all at once really hurts us up the middle. The JC kid may end up as a facsimile for Ekuale, but we need two of the other kids brought in as ends the last couple years to have put on enough pounds to hold up inside, regardless of the packages, or we'll get run over worse this year than we did last, and with fewer penetration plays to compensate for it.

--The kicking game. Dude. Seriously. Erik Powell is gone, and there is no one else. Somebody really needs to emerge here.

There are too many variables, all of which need to turn out right, which is a lot to ask of the football gods. I think the offense will be ok but the defense will be vulnerable to getting pushed around, which means lots of close games. Close games mean counting on the kicking game to get you over the top. How often can we expect that to happen? Our only guaranteed conference win is Oregon State (or if that's our inexplicable loss then we'll beat somebody else we shouldn't because that's what Leach teams do) and our OOC schedule may not be super tough but none of those games is a gimme either. I'd call us a .500 team this year. We'll have a winning record if the kicker and punter turn out to be serviceable. If not, we don't go bowling.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Its really all about consistency. Probably any one of 3 QBs are capable of putting up 450,yds and 5 TDs against a good team, but all are going to have some bad games

I am optimistic since the cougs will be improved at the QB position. The new Qb has three games to gain experience. Hopefully the new Qb will play his best in the big games. The almost meaningless stats of easy games do not count when the pressure is on The ability of the new QB to run will make the offense better with a revamped but much better coached O line.

I am optimistic since the cougs will be improved at the QB position. The new Qb has three games to gain experience. Hopefully the new Qb will play his best in the big games. The almost meaningless stats of easy games do not count when the pressure is on The ability of the new QB to run will make the offense better with a revamped but much better coached O line.

We all hope that the new QB is great but your dislike of Falk is truly amazing. I do agree with the idea that our offensive line needs to be better. They were bordering on mediocre last year and we'll have to see them get better for the team to get better. If the OL play improves, the offense is going to be better all the way around, no matter who we end up with at QB.

I actually believe that the fans who are enamored with Falk's perceived ability are amazing. i truly believe that he was a systems Qb who should have been replaced either in his junior or senior year.

I actually believe that the fans who are enamored with Falk's perceived ability are amazing. i truly believe that he was a systems Qb who should have been replaced either in his junior or senior year.

Now, if he gets drafted, does that mean that an NFL team is in on it? Your take on Falk reminds me of how some fans viewed Brink and Tuel in the past. Neither was a truly great QB, but Brink was on the Texans practice squad and Tuel actually made an NFL roster. Brink when on to play in the CFL for a pretty decent amount of time. Both were far better QB's than their haters gave them credit for but were also not worthy of some of the high praise they received.

Tuel actually made an NFL roster.

JT even started a game for the Buffalo Bills in 2013, a heck of a accomplishment for an undrafted rookie free agent.

A lot of people have said the Cougs were a bowl team in 2011 if Tuel's season wasn't wrecked with a broken collarbone in the opener.

One interesting note I saw when checking Tuel's bio to see if I had the years right:

"Tuel suffered a broken collarbone early in the 2011 season, and reinjured his collarbone when he returned. He considered petitioning the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) for a fifth year of collegiate eligibility due to injuries that limited his playing time, but decided against it. He believed that the NCAA wanted him to blame head coach Paul Wulff's handling of the injury."

Jeez, is there nothing Paul Wulff can't be blamed for? o_O

Z-E-R-O.

• 9/1— @Wyoming
  • 9/8 — San Jose State
  • 9/15 — Eastern
  • 9/21 — @Southern Cal
  • 9/29 — Utah
  • 10-5 — @OSU
  • 10/20 — UO
  • 10/27 — @Stanford
  • 11/3 — Cal-Berkeley
  • 11/10 — @Colorado
  • 11/17 — Arizona
  • 11/23 — UW

I’m optimistic but I’ll tell you what’s wrong above. Leach basically did choose to go to Tennessee (per recent reports) and had the rug pulled out. He’s also a ways away from being a hall of fame coach, although he’s a great fit at WSU and I’m pleased it worked out for him to stay. Yes the schedule is manageable but I don’t care where we play UW they are going to kick our ass in my mind until I see differently (until we don’t pucker up at the sight of their defense and decide we can only try running the ball 3 times). Speaking of we do that a good 3-4 times a year including UW so there’s 2-3 more losses.

So we are starting out at 3 should be wins and 3 guaranteed losses in games we won’t run the ball. For the other six games it’s gonna depend on what kind of QB we have which none of us know, and also gonna need really young guys to step up in a couple of key positions...WR,O Line, and interior D Line.

Theres a lot of unknowns. I think we can eek out 6-7 wins, but it’s not unreasonable to prepare yourself mentally as a fan for a down year.

We all hope that the new QB is great but your dislike of Falk is truly amazing. I do agree with the idea that our offensive line needs to be better. They were bordering on mediocre last year and we'll have to see them get better for the team to get better. If the OL play improves, the offense is going to be better all the way around, no matter who we end up with at QB.
I don't view ElC as disliking our QB as much as I see him in love with whoever the backup is. His enthusiasm for benching the starter is predictable and amusing. He has been posting this opinion for years now, no matter who we have on the field. I do not take it seriously but get a chuckle from it. Suggest that you do the same.

I’m optimistic but I’ll tell you what’s wrong above. Leach basically did choose to go to Tennessee (per recent reports) and had the rug pulled out. He’s also a ways away from being a hall of fame coach, although he’s a great fit at WSU and I’m pleased it worked out for him to stay. Yes the schedule is manageable but I don’t care where we play UW they are going to kick our ass in my mind until I see differently (until we don’t pucker up at the sight of their defense and decide we can only try running the ball 3 times). Speaking of we do that a good 3-4 times a year including UW so there’s 2-3 more losses.

So we are starting out at 3 should be wins and 3 guaranteed losses in games we won’t run the ball. For the other six games it’s gonna depend on what kind of QB we have which none of us know, and also gonna need really young guys to step up in a couple of key positions...WR,O Line, and interior D Line.

Theres a lot of unknowns. I think we can eek out 6-7 wins, but it’s not unreasonable to prepare yourself mentally as a fan for a down year.
I don't even look at it as much of a down year. To me this situation is a bit like 2000, especially if Cooper or Neville really grab the QB job tight and run with it. Hotshot young QB and lots of young talent on defense. The one major difference is that team was loaded on the d-line. This one, less so.

I’m optimistic but I’ll tell you what’s wrong above. Leach basically did choose to go to Tennessee (per recent reports) and had the rug pulled out.

Well, if you choose to believe the desperate words of drowning man, then OK.

1. John Currie, needed something, heck anything, to show he had Tennessee's train wreck of a coaching search under control. Currie jumping the gun and suggesting to his boss that he had a big-name like CML in the bag would be the M.O. of an athletic director caught in the middle of a career-ending disaster.

2. Mike Leach is smarter than John Currie. Much Smarter. CML is savvy enough to know that an apparent job offer from a big-$$$ program like UT might help him squeeze money and concessions out of WSU's administration. Don't you think if CML truly wanted the Tennessee job, his name would've been in the mix well before Currie's search reached FUBAR stage?

Reactions: mister noon
Well, I love Mike Leach as our coach, but reading the tea leaves tells me he’s ready to leave Pullman. That doesn’t scare me the way it does some fans, and it doesn’t mean that Leach hates WSU. My guess is that he’s ready for one more challenge in a region of the Nation other than the Palouse. Leach being interested in the Tennessee and the SEC isn’t an indictment on WSU. He’ll, down the road, I could see Leach taking one of the smaller school Florida jobs like UCF, SF, etc.

The good news is, we have options now. Facilities, an attractive salary to offer, and we even have a proven head coach as our DC. If (when) Leach leaves, we’ll be able to attract good candidates.

Well, I love Mike Leach as our coach, but reading the tea leaves tells me he’s ready to leave Pullman. That doesn’t scare me the way it does some fans, and it doesn’t mean that Leach hates WSU. My guess is that he’s ready for one more challenge in a region of the Nation other than the Palouse. Leach being interested in the Tennessee and the SEC isn’t an indictment on WSU. He’ll, down the road, I could see Leach taking one of the smaller school Florida jobs like UCF, SF, etc.

The good news is, we have options now. Facilities, an attractive salary to offer, and we even have a proven head coach as our DC. If (when) Leach leaves, we’ll be able to attract good candidates.

Ah, the wrist slitting continues...

You can believe that CP, your welcome to your own thoughts. I choose to believe Leach may very well retire in Pullman and the "flirtation" with Tennessee was merely a negotiating ploy. Whatever floats your boat.

If Falk gets drafted ,i wish him the best. He can triumphantly come back and lead the Lentil Parade. All of his followers can trail behind with their scoops to clean up :) But really i do not wish the young man bad. i just think that he is an very overrated qb who got all the breaks anyone can truly expect. The other guy Halliday was an spoiled brat who showed his true colors when he went to an NFL training camp for leftover college players. I told people that but they flailed away" knowing" he was a top NFL type of QB. He was a marginal talent with unrealistic expectations based upon being the pampered child.I love Leach as WSU s coach but he is not the "big name" people are making him out to be. They take a gander at the AC and bowl games and say Thanks but no thanks.He has to win some big games if he is to get a bigger job.He may end up at a smaller Florida school before he rides into the sunset a la Walter Cronkite for the elder gents who frequent this board.

Ah, the wrist slitting continues...

It’s not wrist slitting at all. Stay or go, Leach has rebuilt and restored our program. 6 years ago, Leach was a homerun hire. The best we could have possibly hoped for, and he delivered. Now? I think we’ll attract many good candidates should he decide to leave.

It’s not wrist slitting at all. Stay or go, Leach has rebuilt and restored our program. 6 years ago, Leach was a homerun hire. The best we could have possibly hoped for, and he delivered. Now? I think we’ll attract many good candidates should he decide to leave.

Why the crazy-arsed obsession over a Leach departure when there are so many other aspects to discuss here? This is the stuff of Ruth Robbins...

Reactions: 79COUG
Why the crazy-arsed obsession over a Leach departure when there are so many other aspects to discuss here? This is the stuff of Ruth Robbins...

Because social media just got blasted with that supposed Currie email release about Leach taking the UT job. It’s relevant, albeit speculative.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT