ADVERTISEMENT

Don't get the pessimism for 2018

Why the crazy-arsed obsession over a Leach departure when there are so many other aspects to discuss here? This is the stuff of Ruth Robbins...

yeah - brand X trying to make headline story over this - must be slow news day for them trying to make something out of nothing - who cares?

no wonder Leach hates responding to (or won't dignify with an answer) questions from those shit stirrers

Because social media just got blasted with that supposed Currie email release about Leach taking the UT job. It’s relevant, albeit speculative.

Any idiot can use social media to spew forth rumors, especially trolls who want to affect recruiting, the early signing period particularly. Besides, when did this rumor occur? And you're still blathering on about it?

I'd think CML didn't appreciate the Brand X staffers taking him to task for not returning their calls about the Tennessee fiasco as it were.

Also, there were multiple threads at Brand X letting CML know he could hit the road because he had the nerve to "look elsewhere" or whatever it was he was supposedly doing ...

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
Besides, when did this rumor occur?

It doesn't appear to be a rumour any longer.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-mike-leach-john-currie-beverly-davenport

BTW, the guy who wrote this story was a longtime UT beat writer and columnist for the Knoxville News-Sentinel.

He probably knows more and has better sources about Volunteer Football than just about anyone.

And for my 2¢, I still think CML was using UT's dumbazz AD to help leverage the WSU administration -- not to leave Pullman for a Grade A cluster****.

Strictly business.

Reactions: Cougzz and kayak15
Any idiot can use social media to spew forth rumors, especially trolls who want to affect recruiting, the early signing period particularly. Besides, when did this rumor occur? And you're still blathering on about it?

I’m not blathering on about it. This was the only string I mentioned it, and as I said, I don’t think Leach leaving will cripple us. So many of our fans think that it’s Leach or bust. I don’t.

Reactions: Cougzz
What is important is that Leach is here for another year. Despite all the pessimism,i see another good year with a bowl game at the end. Despite all the recent AC beat downs,the cougs may prevail this time around.The improvements in the coaching staff cannot be underestimated. The O line s dismal performance last year in the AC undoubtedly showed Leach that he had to change and put his drinking buddy where he caused the least harm. The versatility of the new Qb ,whomever he may be, will make a huge difference in the offenses' on the field performances.As for Leach s leaving, i stated that when it was happening that he desperately wanted to leave but that people would say no because of the teams performances in the AC and bowl games. Gitting the poop kicked out of you on national TV without a fight is not a good way to get a high paying job. He does want to leave but he will have to win a few big games before he tries to land a Tennessee like job

Last edited:
Reactions: Cougzz
I hope you aren’t wrong. No size or experience along D-Line . Missing a four year starter at qb. Have zero experience taking a snap at qb. Lack of speed at wr. And Grinch left
Or maybe I should say I don't agree with it.

Even some of the top posters on CougZone are suggesting WSU will squeak into a lower-tier bowl game with a 6-6 record — or maybe even be home for the holidays.

But unless it's the quarterback situation (which, admittedly, is up in the air at this point even with the boatload of talent on hand), what points to a .500 or even worse season?

In 10 seasons at Texas Tech, Coach Mike Leach had no losing seasons.

Z-E-R-O.

Since completing the teardown and rebuilding job initiated by Coach Paul Wulff, CML and the Cougs have gone 9-4, 8-5 and 9-4 and finished in the upper-half of the Pac-12 North each time with three straight invites to traditional bowl games.

IMO, the schedule is very manageable:
  • 9/1— @Wyoming
  • 9/8 — San Jose State
  • 9/15 — Eastern
  • 9/21 — @Southern Cal
  • 9/29 — Utah
  • 10-5 — @OSU
  • 10/20 — UO
  • 10/27 — @Stanford
  • 11/3 — Cal-Berkeley
  • 11/10 — @Colorado
  • 11/17 — Arizona
  • 11/23 — UW
  1. Should definitely be 3-0 after the less than imposing non-conference schedule
  2. USC and Stanford look, on paper anyway, to be tough draws on the road, although it's not like the Cougs will be entering a hornet's nest with the lifeless atmosphere in Palo Alto
  3. Two weeks to get ready for Oregon coming to Pullman.
  4. Two straight mid- to late November home games could mean dicey Palouse weather for the visitors
  5. Washington must travel for the Apple Cup on a short week
  6. WSU has a Hall of Fame coach who could've gone to a deep-pocketed program like Tennessee if he had so chosen. Jonathan Smith (OSU), Mario Cristobal (UO), Justin Wilcox (Cal) and Kevin Sumlin (Arizona) are either unproven as head coaches or fired guys trying to resurrect their careers. How often do those things work out favorably?
If the QB situation works out as it typically does under CML, a big-play threat emerges at receiver and the D-Line stays healthy, then there's no reason to think this isn't another 8 or 9 win season with yet another well-respected bowl game in December or January.

Tell me I'm wrong :)
you

This document really says nothing. Leach goes to LA on a recruiting trip. An up against the wall AD invites him to lunch and asks him if he would take the Tenn job for 6-7 mill. Of course he would say yes. He probably would take the job for that kind of money, but he also probably knew that it wasn't going to happen.

The size on the defensive line should be about the same. That is if Lolohea will win a starting position and live up to advance notices. There is more available speed at WR. The loss of a experienced 4 year starter at Qb is a plus in my thinking. Call me crazy but the loss of indecisiveness,inability to run without falling is a plus in my books. Falk is one of the least athletic football players i have ever seen in a major college football program

You and the guy on the other board who always bashes Flynn should get together on Flynn and Falk.

It doesn't appear to be a rumour any longer.

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-mike-leach-john-currie-beverly-davenport

BTW, the guy who wrote this story was a longtime UT beat writer and columnist for the Knoxville News-Sentinel.

He probably knows more and has better sources about Volunteer Football than just about anyone.

And for my 2¢, I still think CML was using UT's dumbazz AD to help leverage the WSU administration -- not to leave Pullman for a Grade A cluster****.

Strictly business.
That is my take too. There is a lot of distance between "Huh. That's interesting. I might look into that." and "Hey, everybody! Leach wants the job." Leach is trained as an attorney and knows to keep his opinions and words close to the vest. Like you, I think that CML played Tennessee's AD in order to gain leverage in Pullman. Not to say that he would not have taken the job but it would take a lot of money to entice him to jump into the clown show in Knoxville and have Phil Fulmer hovering over his shoulder to boot. UT's AD heard what he wanted to hear. Well played, CML. Enjoy your new contract in Pullman.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I’m not blathering on about it. This was the only string I mentioned it, and as I said, I don’t think Leach leaving will cripple us. So many of our fans think that it’s Leach or bust. I don’t.

His success at WSU shows that it's a school you can win at. His time at WSU will create dividends in WSU coaching searches not only for football, but for all sports as WSU will be able to get into conversations with a much more talented and larger hiring pool. His time at WSU will change the perspective of WSU throughout the coaching industry.

Coach Leach also has a coaching tree. Any coach that is an Air Raid coach will see WSU as a passing friendly school. Don't be surprised when his time at WSU ends if a former player of his takes over and keeps on rolling.

Wow. I just clicked "like" for three posts (unusual in one thread) and they were for AvaBob, Kayak and Biggs...not generally three guys who are echoing similar thoughts. But in this case, I think they are all correct. First, Leach was in LA anyway. Second, Currie was desperate to show some action. Third, if somebody waves $6-7m at Leach he might go, but he knew that wasn't going to happen at Tennessee. Still, no harm in trying to see if he can get a real offer on the table and sound out the school on the subject. That is a school where the inmates run the prison from an athletics standpoint, so no sane non-alum would probably want to go there, but there is still value in getting an offer on the table. Leverage is only one of many reasons. And I agree with Biggs; Leach has been at WSU long enough to have established a full cupboard and a culture friendly to his system. At such time as he goes, whether in 1 year or 15 years, there is a very good chance that one of his disciples will take over and keep on truckin'.

As for CML leaving...he is comfortable in Pullman. The new AD and Pres both seem to be treating him well. It would take something very hard to turn down for Leach to move. If you made a list of the top 30 programs in the country from a resources and tradition standpoint, at least 20-25 would be places that simply would not fit Leach. At this point, he isn't going anywhere that he thinks will lead to grief and stomach acid. And even LC makes a valid point...if he wanted to get recruited to one of those 5 or 6 programs with the resources and potential cultural fit, he needs to win a few Apple Cups and lay in a couple of 10-12 win seasons. All that could happen...but if/when it does, as Biggs says, we should have no problem getting a good coach to carry the torch.

Wow. I just clicked "like" for three posts (unusual in one thread) and they were for AvaBob, Kayak and Biggs...not generally three guys who are echoing similar thoughts. But in this case, I think they are all correct. First, Leach was in LA anyway. Second, Currie was desperate to show some action. Third, if somebody waves $6-7m at Leach he might go, but he knew that wasn't going to happen at Tennessee. Still, no harm in trying to see if he can get a real offer on the table and sound out the school on the subject. That is a school where the inmates run the prison from an athletics standpoint, so no sane non-alum would probably want to go there, but there is still value in getting an offer on the table. Leverage is only one of many reasons. And I agree with Biggs; Leach has been at WSU long enough to have established a full cupboard and a culture friendly to his system. At such time as he goes, whether in 1 year or 15 years, there is a very good chance that one of his disciples will take over and keep on truckin'.

As for CML leaving...he is comfortable in Pullman. The new AD and Pres both seem to be treating him well. It would take something very hard to turn down for Leach to move. If you made a list of the top 30 programs in the country from a resources and tradition standpoint, at least 20-25 would be places that simply would not fit Leach. At this point, he isn't going anywhere that he thinks will lead to grief and stomach acid. And even LC makes a valid point...if he wanted to get recruited to one of those 5 or 6 programs with the resources and potential cultural fit, he needs to win a few Apple Cups and lay in a couple of 10-12 win seasons. All that could happen...but if/when it does, as Biggs says, we should have no problem getting a good coach to carry the torch.
Here is the X factor. Leach is good friends with Feldman and if he tweeted out Tennessee offered him the job he has direct access to Leach . If Leach wanted to he could squelch Feldman’s tweets. Not sure Leach cared . He wanted his raise and he was willing to go to an insure situation to get his raise .

Reactions: Slowmotionjones
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT