ADVERTISEMENT

Dots connecting?

If he were responsible for building the BSU program to prominence, then yes, he’d be at the top of my list. That’s not the case though. He took over a program that was the clear #1 in the MWC, if not the entire group of 5. If anything, they’ve regressed under him. Not a lot, but mentioning his W/L record is a bit misleading. They’ve been double digit favorites in most of their games since he was hired. That most certainly won’t be the case at WSU.

If he’s the guy, then of course I’ll support him; but I have concerns. If we delve into the group of 5 for our next coach, I’d prefer someone who built their program by doing more with less.
Sure he’s no Chris Peterson, but I’d put him in the good-to-very-good coaching category. In other words, he won’t make me cringe if Chun hires him.

Keep in mind that BSU had to use 3 QB's because Bachmeier got dinged up. The team I saw play Air Force with a true freshman at QB...was a top 20 team. Remember Bachmeier was high on WSU's list of QB's. Boise State has had a better rate of retention..especially on the defensive side of the ball and they contribute earlier as well. If you watch the BSU "war room"..they're pretty organized in recruiting. Taylor Tharp would be nice
https://www.idahostatesman.com/spor...ate-football/article58209413.html/video-embed

Last edited:
Winning 7 of 9 with that schedule could be considered blah. I know it’s one game but getting your teeth kicked in by a mediocre UW team doesn’t inspire confidence for my money.
I'm probably more impressed with a top 25 finish 4 out of 6 seasons under Harsin than I'm disillusioned by getting crushed by Chris Peterson in his last game as UW coach. I continue to think Harsin's well suited to get the most out of the type of recruits WSU normally brings in because that's the type he's brought in to BSU. Harsin isn't #1 on my list, but he's not a blah or meh for me.

Glad Cougar

Harsin has some upside. Id definitely interview him. What other HC is realistic who is better ? If you don't go the OC?DC route ?

Leach got his teeth kicked in by a mediocre UW team, too and I’m pretty sure an equivalent hire would be welcomed.
Good point. I don’t think Leachs better teams should have though, IMO his stubbornness offensively was a significant contributor.

Good point. I don’t think Leachs better teams should have though, IMO his stubbornness offensively was a significant contributor.
He is sucking you in. The most mediocre uw can beat the best of WSU's teams.

Based on what?
Not much, as none of us really know much or who Chun is looking at for head coach. But, I like how he turned around Hawaii, which is a hard place to win. I like that he is smart, very smart. I like that he runs a passing offense. He is supposed to be a very good recruiter and is a good leader. I like that he played and coached at San Francisco CC, so he should be able to recruit there well. He has also has recruiting connections in Hawaii, California and Samoa.

If he were responsible for building the BSU program to prominence, then yes, he’d be at the top of my list. That’s not the case though. He took over a program that was the clear #1 in the MWC, if not the entire group of 5. If anything, they’ve regressed under him. Not a lot, but mentioning his W/L record is a bit misleading. They’ve been double digit favorites in most of their games since he was hired. That most certainly won’t be the case at WSU.

If he’s the guy, then of course I’ll support him; but I have concerns. If we delve into the group of 5 for our next coach, I’d prefer someone who built their program by doing more with less.
This is how I feel about Harsin as well. He is doing well with the most. Can he do well with less?

Not much, as none of us really know much or who Chun is looking at for head coach. But, I like how he turned around Hawaii, which is a hard place to win. I like that he is smart, very smart. I like that he runs a passing offense. He is supposed to be a very good recruiter and is a good leader. I like that he played and coached at San Francisco CC, so he should be able to recruit there well. He has also has recruiting connections in Hawaii, California and Samoa.

Here is Rolo's current staff at Hawaii, most of which I would think make the trip to WSU with him (if indeed he is our next coach).

https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/football/coaches

I was
Here is Rolo's current staff at Hawaii, most of which I would think make the trip to WSU with him (if indeed he is our next coach).

https://hawaiiathletics.com/sports/football/coaches
checking that out yesterday and thought that some had to stay under a new coach or maybe there's a HC in there after reading Hawaii's message board. UH has the lowest assistant budget in the MW. There's about 3-4 that might be good position coaches. They had the 96th rated defense...so there might be 2-3 position coaches tops there. No DC's though. It also depends on how many recruits they brought in as well.

I was

checking that out yesterday and thought that some had to stay under a new coach or maybe there's a HC in there after reading Hawaii's message board. UH has the lowest assistant budget in the MW. There's about 3-4 that might be good position coaches. They had the 96th rated defense...so there might be 2-3 position coaches tops there. No DC's though. It also depends on how many recruits they brought in as well.

I wasn't all that impressed. Like you, I think there may be a couple "viable" coaches who could do the job at a P5 school.

Former Beaver DC Mark Banker is on the staff. Interesting.

Hes a good coach. I remember their defenses being pretty fundamentally sound. They’re aren’t a lot of guys that I’d want from that staff to join Rolo if he’s the coach, but I’ll take him.

If Rolo could lock down top front 7 players from the islands, he would recruit pretty well. The guys Utah/BYU/Dogs get are enough to build solid defenses.

Reactions: Coug90
If Rolo could lock down top front 7 players from the islands, he would recruit pretty well. The guys Utah/BYU/Dogs get are enough to build solid defenses.
That’s a tough ask though. I believe BYU and Utah recruit it well because some of those guys are LDS. You’ve also got USC, Oregon, and programs like Bama out there picking off some of the top guys.
Definitely need a presence in the islands though which we lost when Joe left.

corners/safetys/recievers from California.....front 7 islanders/samoans.

Id still pair him with a DC.

Hes a good coach. I remember their defenses being pretty fundamentally sound. They’re aren’t a lot of guys that I’d want from that staff to join Rolo if he’s the coach, but I’ll take him.
Honestly, it is hard to know. We fans have little real information and even then, what we do have is second, third and forth hand information. I have liked the hires he has made at WSU so far, but it is too early to know for sure how the basketball coaches, and the swimming coach ultimately do.

Discipline problems in the past arose from the background of the WSU coaches i.e. what was going on where they last coached or played.

Walden (Nebraska the cover up at all costs program ran by Bob Devaney & Tom Osborne), Erickson (Sweeney player at Montana St & Idaho coach with the unlisted number in Pullman) and Price (Jim Sweeney player).

From the looks of it at Hawaii the staff wasn't on the same page on discipline issues - at an "isolated" (party?) school that can be fatal.

https://www.khon2.com/news/rainbow-...aeole-resigns-over-philosophical-differences/

Having an assistant coach leave mid-season is suboptimal.

Winning 7 of 9 with that schedule could be considered blah. I know it’s one game but getting your teeth kicked in by a mediocre UW team doesn’t inspire confidence for my money.
Not to mention, Boise has finished ahead of us in recruiting (247) so let's get the idea out of our heads that "if only he had P5 recruits, he could..."

No, he would have the same or worse, plus a schedule which is 5x harder

Harsin has way more recruiting connections and hire a better staff. He was OC at Texas and OC under Peterson. Wilcox, Gerald Alexander, Avalos, Lee Marks, Kwitkowski, lots of connections there. Well liked too. If Harsin agreed to running Air Raid system I bet our fans would be all for him.

Rolovich excites fans because he runs a system favorable to our players.

You can't blame Harsin for MWC victories and then praise Rolo for MWC victories.

We could do a lot worse than Harsin. I think Rolo would be solid if we tell him bring a coach or two but you need to hire Pac 12 level experienced staff.

Reactions: froropmkr72
Harsin has way more recruiting connections and hire a better staff. He was OC at Texas and OC under Peterson. Wilcox, Gerald Alexander, Avalos, Lee Marks, Kwitkowski, lots of connections there. Well liked too. If Harsin agreed to running Air Raid system I bet our fans would be all for him.

You can't blame Harsin for MWC victories and then praise Rolo for MWC victories.

We could do a lot worse than Harsin. I think Rolo would be solid if we tell him bring a coach or two but you need to hire Pac 12 level experienced staff.
I don't think that is what most of us are doing. Becoming the head coach at BSU is like being born on third base in that conference. Becoming the head coach at Hawaii is like starting in the minors. So, yes I discount his victories. I believe that Rolovich could take over the BSU program right now or six years ago and they would still hum along. I think that if Harsin took over Hawaii's program three years ago, he doesn't have the success that Rolovich has had.

Last edited:

I think it’s more impressive to turn around a program like Hawaii than take over a program that’s humming like BS. Also, doesn’t BS have more laxed acceptance standards or something? I thought that was to their advantage that they could take guys that couldn’t get admittance elsewhere.

Reactions: Coug1990

You are thinking of only their coaching careers regarding connections. Rolovich has a history as a player in various leagues. So, he knows coaches and players that are now coaches.

By the way, the four years before Rolovich took over, Hawaii was 4-26 in conference (remind you of anyone?) and 10-36 overall.

In Rolovich's first year, he was 4-4 in conference. He is 15-17 in conference and 28-27 overall.

Also keep in mind Hawaii plays in weaker division. UNLV San Jose St Fresno ST and Nevada aren't exactly world beaters

Also keep in mind Hawaii plays in weaker division. UNLV San Jose St Fresno ST and Nevada aren't exactly world beaters
Which makes the 4-26 conference record of his predecessor versus 15-17 of Rolovich even more impressive. He had to change a culture of the program. As linked above, he had to suspend several players that were recruited by the previous staff.

I think it’s more impressive to turn around a program like Hawaii than take over a program that’s humming like BS. Also, doesn’t BS have more laxed acceptance standards or something? I thought that was to their advantage that they could take guys that couldn’t get admittance elsewhere.
I've never understood why coaches who maintain winning programs are often devalued because they came into a good situation. That's not to minimize what Rolovich has done at Hawaii, but Harsin's 71-22 career record and 7 bowls in 7 seasons (6 at Boise State) is impressive to me.

Glad Cougar

Discipline problems in the past arose from the background of the WSU coaches i.e. what was going on where they last coached or played.

Walden (Nebraska the cover up at all costs program ran by Bob Devaney & Tom Osborne), Erickson (Sweeney player at Montana St & Idaho coach with the unlisted number in Pullman) and Price (Jim Sweeney player).

From the looks of it at Hawaii the staff wasn't on the same page on discipline issues - at an "isolated" (party?) school that can be fatal.

https://www.khon2.com/news/rainbow-...aeole-resigns-over-philosophical-differences/

Having an assistant coach leave mid-season is suboptimal.
Interesting. Were the philosophical differences because Rolovich was too strict or too lenient? If too lenient, then there's a large red flag on Rolovich's resume. We have been there, done that and have no desire to revert to the bad old days. I have read that Rolovich suspended a number of players last season. Was that what brought this about?

Interesting. Were the philosophical differences because Rolovich was too strict or too lenient? If too lenient, then there's a large red flag on Rolovich's resume. We have been there, done that and have no desire to revert to the bad old days. I have read that Rolovich suspended a number of players last season. Was that what brought this about?
He was the more strict in this case, would need a deeper dive to determine what is what for discipline in his overall program.
Hawaii teams have a rep for being chippy historically.

I have no real idea. But, I presume that he was strict. I am not sure if I would call it too strict. Rolovich inherited players from Chow. That he suspended them, I think says he was strict. I find it hard to believe that a coach would resign because he believed the head coach was too lenient and should have been harsher.

I could see a coach upset that players he liked, and perhaps recruited, were being (what he thought) unfairly punished.

Last edited:
I'm a little concerned that once again the defensive side of the ball doesn't seem to do all that well at Hawaii. They gave up 52 to UW, 59 to Boise State, 56 to Air Force, 41 to Fresno State, 40 to San Jose State. I would like to have the next WSU head coach dedicate some time and attention to defense. Maybe Rolovich will do that and hire a good DC + staff.

Glad Cougar

I'm a little concerned that once again the defensive side of the ball doesn't seem to do all that well at Hawaii. They gave up 52 to UW, 59 to Boise State, 56 to Air Force, 41 to Fresno State, 40 to San Jose State. I would like to have the next WSU head coach dedicate some time and attention to defense. Maybe Rolovich will do that and hire a good DC + staff.

Glad Cougar

Rumor thrice removed is that K State’s DC is coming with him. He was the DC for Wyoming in 2018, big beard. Had a year at USC and some time in the NFL.

Last edited:
Rumor thrice removed is that K State’s DC is coming with him. He was the DC for Wyoming in 2018, big beard.
Scottie Hazelton. Ahhhh....that's interesting. In another thread about potential NFL coaches who might be considered, I had mentioned Gus Bradley, former Seahawk DC & Jaguar HC. Hazelton was part of his staff at Jacksonville & Bradley was Hazelton's position coach at North Dakota State. K-state HC Chris Kleiman was at NDSU, too. It's like a big Banner Bank commercial...we are all connected, right?

Glad Cougar

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT