ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN crew for Sat. night at Oregon

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
PxP: Steve Levy
Analysts: Brian Griese, Todd McShay (being a NFL Draft guy, he'll likely spend a lot of time talking about Justin Herbert)
Sideline: Molly McGrath

juvnvamvbuwrs2g3bhxl

Last edited:
I have a vague memory of brian griese being less than complimentary about WSU and our qb the last time he did a game

Reactions: 79COUG
One of the worst parts of these broadcasts is how the production team has to come up with these storylines, but they have no Plan B for when the game is not going according to the storyline:
  • E.g., Herbert came back for his senior year, he's got prototypical big league dimensions, he--OH! he's thrown 9 picks in the last 3 weeks and taken some bad sacks, he's not stepping up in the pocket--anyway this kid is out of this world, guaranteed 1st rounder, makes safeties look silly, etc
I've seen it a lot for us this year, where the story "packages" are around our high-flyin' offense and the Speed D and the coaching changes, none of which lines up with anything you're seeing today but we have to keep harping on it because that's the story we were given. Also see it a lot with Jake Fromm this year at Georgia - absolute turd passing offense and gameplan but the booth slobbers on him all game long, might as well hand him the Lombardi before he graduates.

One of the worst parts of these broadcasts is how the production team has to come up with these storylines, but they have no Plan B for when the game is not going according to the storyline:
  • E.g., Herbert came back for his senior year, he's got prototypical big league dimensions, he--OH! he's thrown 9 picks in the last 3 weeks and taken some bad sacks, he's not stepping up in the pocket--anyway this kid is out of this world, guaranteed 1st rounder, makes safeties look silly, etc
I've seen it a lot for us this year, where the story "packages" are around our high-flyin' offense and the Speed D and the coaching changes, none of which lines up with anything you're seeing today but we have to keep harping on it because that's the story we were given. Also see it a lot with Jake Fromm this year at Georgia - absolute turd passing offense and gameplan but the booth slobbers on him all game long, might as well hand him the Lombardi before he graduates.

The Colorado game, as it began-the announcer Stouffer said "Montez has next level skills" , I almost got online to post that. Next Level ? as in NFL ?

Montez is awful, his mechanics are awful , what is he talking about ?

I don't care if Griese is wearing a bootleg Herbert jersey, all of the canned storylines are about Oregon and its national title hopes, or even if Musberger shows up unexpectedly to ogle Herbert's girlfriend in the crowd and to inquire about the whereabouts of Katherine Webb, causing him to be forcibly removed due to a potential restraining order violation. After having to not only listen to Mowins, but Mowins screeching about a UCLA comeback in unusual ways that go well beyond what a solid announcer would do, any competent crew works for me.

Reactions: ATACFD
The Colorado game, as it began-the announcer Stouffer said "Montez has next level skills" , I almost got online to post that. Next Level ? as in NFL ?

If by next level he means a waterboy for Arizona Christian University, then he's definitely got the right stuff. Dude spent all day last Saturday drowning his sorrows away.

Kelly Stoffer was very complementary of Gordon. I can assure you Griese hasn't seen a release like Gordon's before, but he probably won't notice since it will be a Herbert love fest.

Reactions: Cougzz

It's in their best interest to hype the teams up as best they can. They sure as hell aren't going to tell everyone he sucks during the broadcast.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
No doubt. Monday night football is almost unwatchable now. I’m longing for the days of Al Michaels Frank Gifford and Dan Deirdorf!
Sheeeeeyit..….. Give me Pat Summerall and John Madden back! I loved Madden's breakdown of plays.... In a Madden voice "You see Pat, when the QB hands the ball off to the RB, he runs with the ball down the field to try and score a TD". And then you're sitting there scratching your head wondering if he really just said that. Ummmmmmm, Duhhhhhhh.

Sheeeeeyit..….. Give me Pat Summerall and John Madden back! I loved Madden's breakdown of plays.... In a Madden voice "You see Pat, when the QB hands the ball off to the RB, he runs with the ball down the field to try and score a TD". And then you're sitting there scratching your head wondering if he really just said that. Ummmmmmm, Duhhhhhhh.

Well I'm old enough to remember Cosell, Gifford, and Dandy Don Meredith. What a great crew!! Cosell rubbed some people the wrong way but as a kid, I thought his voice and tell it like it is approach was awesome.

Well I'm old enough to remember Cosell, Gifford, and Dandy Don Meredith. What a great crew!! Cosell rubbed some people the wrong way but as a kid, I thought his voice and tell it like it is approach was awesome.
Oh absolutely! And to find out years later ol' Howard was usually 3-4 cocktails in by halftime...when men were men lol

Over/Under for the Borghi/McCafree comparison? I'm going with the second quarter.

How often will they mention, that since Oregon couldn't find a way to beat us, they started stealing our coaches. And to date it still hasn't helped.

Reactions: 79COUG
Here are my over / unders on mentions for selected topics:

- How great Justin Herbert is: 12
- Justin Herbert's hair and/or dreamy eyes: 2
- Justin Herbert's draft potential: 2
- How awesome Oregon's OL is: 2
- Cristobal's connection to Alabama and/or the SEC, and/or "bringing SEC football to the Pac-12": 2
- Any injuries Oregon has suffered: 5 (doubling if they are at any point behind in the game)
- Oregon's playoff chances: 4
- Oregon's recruiting: 2
- UW, in relation to the actual school: 5
- UW, by referring to WSU as "Washington": 2 (this would be much higher for some broadcast teams)
- Oregon's cheerleaders: 1 (Levy will do it)
- Kayvon Thibodeaux being the #1 overall recruit last year: 1
- Any WSU player's draft chances: 1
- Mike Leach's play card being a small piece of paper: 1
- Other Mike Leach quirks or quotes: 3
- Borghi / McCaffrey comparisons: 2
- Borghi and Stanford: 2
- Anything else about WSU or anyone associated with it, players or otherwise, other than factual reporting of plays: 2

Here are my over / unders on mentions for selected topics:

- How great Justin Herbert is: 12
- Justin Herbert's hair and/or dreamy eyes: 2
- Justin Herbert's draft potential: 2
- How awesome Oregon's OL is: 2
- Cristobal's connection to Alabama and/or the SEC, and/or "bringing SEC football to the Pac-12": 2
- Any injuries Oregon has suffered: 5 (doubling if they are at any point behind in the game)
- Oregon's playoff chances: 4
- Oregon's recruiting: 2
- UW, in relation to the actual school: 5
- UW, by referring to WSU as "Washington": 2 (this would be much higher for some broadcast teams)
- Oregon's cheerleaders: 1 (Levy will do it)
- Kayvon Thibodeaux being the #1 overall recruit last year: 1
- Any WSU player's draft chances: 1
- Mike Leach's play card being a small piece of paper: 1
- Other Mike Leach quirks or quotes: 3
- Borghi / McCaffrey comparisons: 2
- Borghi and Stanford: 2
- Anything else about WSU other than factual reporting of plays: 2
Might I add...
Last 4 years were a fluke: 3

Dandy Don was a true character. He's the one who started singing "turn out the lights...the party's over" when something happened in the game to seal the deal.
I also remember one time the camera panned the crowd, only to have a fan flip the bird. Dandy Don chimed right in to say something like, "look - he's telling us were #1.....".

Cosell was all about "love me or hate me, I don't care as long as you're paying attention to me". He could come across as an arrogant and bombastic. But he was good for MNF.

Those guys made MNF into a can't miss institution for many years. It was before the super-saturation of games we get now, both college and pro. I suppose one could say they (MNF) laid the groundwork for what we see today, like it or not.

Reactions: 79COUG and ATACFD
Cosell.. I remember vividly Cosell and John Lennon. What a crazy interview for Monday Night football.

Thanks. I had forgotten about that interview. It was the talk of my high school the next day. Back when Lennon still could sound sane on camera. What a talent...as Wings showed, McCartney was the tunes guy. Lennon (and to a lesser extent Harrison) had the lyrics. It takes both. And then there was Ringo...though It Don't Come Easy (a gift from George) was a fine song, and one that song worms its way into what I'm humming/singing all day after hearing it.

I wonder...will never know...what John might have written in the 80's. He was one of the few who might in some way have altered the trajectory of popular music. There was certainly room for thoughtful lyrics in the 80's!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT