ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN FPI Game Score

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
I was looking at the FPI for us the rest of the way out and it doesn't look to be updated based on yesterday's results although it does show the Oregon game. One thing that caught my eye was the game score on the far right of the page. According to the page:
  • Game Score: Measure of game performance including how well the team controlled the game along with the final result, accounting for site and opponent strength. On a 0 to 100 scale, where 100 is best.
Here is the list of our game scores:

Montana State: 65
Boise State: 57
Oregon State: 70
Nevada: 72
USC: 89
Oregon: 96

I think we'd all agree that the BSU game was the low point of the season in terms of overall team performance, but I found it interesting that outside of that anomaly, the team has gotten better every single week. The Nevada game probably should be higher because we absolutely ran the train on them, but they are so bad, I'm sure it knocks the score down. The 96 score against Oregon obviously takes into account the final score and the difficulty of winning in Autzen, but I would say that a 96 ignores how sloppy parts of that game was.

My take on the above numbers is that I see a team that is growing in confidence each week and might be pretty damned dangerous to the Mutts in game #12 if they keep up the good work.

Last edited:
I was looking at the FPI for us the rest of the way out and it doesn't look to be updated based on yesterday's results although it does show the Oregon game. One thing that caught my eye was the game score on the far right of the page. According to the page:
  • Game Score: Measure of game performance including how well the team controlled the game along with the final result, accounting for site and opponent strength. On a 0 to 100 scale, where 100 is best.

I think we'd all agree that the BSU game was the low point of the season in terms of overall team performance, but I found it interesting that outside of that anomaly, the team has gotten better every single week. The Nevada game probably should be higher because we absolutely ran the train on them, but they are so bad, I'm sure it knocks the score down. The 96 score against Oregon obviously takes into account the final score and the difficulty of winning in Autzen, but I would say that a 96 ignores how sloppy parts of that game was.

My take on the above numbers is that I see a team that is growing in confidence each week and might be pretty damned dangerous to the Mutts in game #12 if they keep up the good work.
espn makes it tough to judge w/ these metrics because they treat their methodologies as proprietary. that said, i agree w/ you that the improvement in the numbers does match what we've seen in the overall improvement as the season goes.

the nice thing about this season is that the early season stinkers that we seem to have shaken off/learned something from didn't go down as losses, so we're in a pretty similar position to the last couple years, just not starting out 2 games in the hole.

What I thought was interesting is that FPI has the Cougars at the 18th best team in the land. Both Stanford (15) and USC (16) are ranked higher. They give the Cougars only a 5.9% chance of winning the P12. They have Stanford's chance of winning the conference at 10% and the uw at 50.3%. They have Stanford favored against the Cougars in Pullman.

FPI has always undervalued the Cougars.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT