ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN is report RE: coaching search...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
...."Washington State interim coach Jake Dickert is a strong candidate to land the permanent role. Dickert has impressed administrators and others in taking over following Nick Rolovich's firing. The Cougars can become bowl eligible Friday when they host Arizona. Wins over Arizona and against Washington -- WSU hasn't won the Apple Cup since 2012 -- would put Dickert, 38, in excellent position to get the job. WSU has hired a search firm but finds itself in a very competitive coaching market. "

Also, Chris Peterson is involved in the UW coaching search. Baylor's Dave Aranda and Iowa State's Matt Campbell are the top 2 names. Matt Campbell personally would have been concerned, because he's a damn good coach. I'm betting Campbell goes to LSU though.

...."Washington State interim coach Jake Dickert is a strong candidate to land the permanent role. Dickert has impressed administrators and others in taking over following Nick Rolovich's firing. The Cougars can become bowl eligible Friday when they host Arizona. Wins over Arizona and against Washington -- WSU hasn't won the Apple Cup since 2012 -- would put Dickert, 38, in excellent position to get the job. WSU has hired a search firm but finds itself in a very competitive coaching market. "

Also, Chris Peterson is involved in the UW coaching search. Baylor's Dave Aranda and Iowa State's Matt Campbell are the top 2 names. Matt Campbell personally would have been concerned, because he's a damn good coach. I'm betting Campbell goes to LSU though.
Campbell has a contract that's set up similar to how I think we should set up ours. He gets a $250K bonus for each win, starting at their 7th. Difference is that his base is $4M.

I expect he'll leave eventually, but he's going to pick the job based on something other than the paycheck. He supposedly turned down a deal worth almost $8M/year to coach the Lions (although, if you want to talk about impossible jobs...). Whoever poaches him is going to have to be at least competitive, and will also have to pay a $4M buyout to ISU. Chump change for some, but it puts him out of reach for others.

Odds are pretty fair that ESPN writers are just making guesses here. I don't see any reason to believe that they have inside information. Campbell's name is going to be connected to every vacancy in the NCAA and NFL...just like it has been the last couple seasons. Not real surprising to see Aranda's name floated either...although with only 2 years of HC experience, I don't know that he'll come up with the same frequency.

Campbell has a contract that's set up similar to how I think we should set up ours. He gets a $250K bonus for each win, starting at their 7th. Difference is that his base is $4M.

I expect he'll leave eventually, but he's going to pick the job based on something other than the paycheck. He supposedly turned down a deal worth almost $8M/year to coach the Lions (although, if you want to talk about impossible jobs...). Whoever poaches him is going to have to be at least competitive, and will also have to pay a $4M buyout to ISU. Chump change for some, but it puts him out of reach for others.

Odds are pretty fair that ESPN writers are just making guesses here. I don't see any reason to believe that they have inside information. Campbell's name is going to be connected to every vacancy in the NCAA and NFL...just like it has been the last couple seasons. Not real surprising to see Aranda's name floated either...although with only 2 years of HC experience, I don't know that he'll come up with the same frequency.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he was waiting on a Big Ten job. Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State. Most other places are lateral moves. Heading West is outside of his resume.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he was waiting on a Big Ten job. Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State. Most other places are lateral moves. Heading West is outside of his resume.
But he's from the same home town as Don James, which according to Softy, means he's been aspiring to be the head coach at UW his entire life.

• Haha
Reactions: spongeandshoot
I don't understand why Campbell is regarded so highly. He has a pretty loaded roster this year and still is likely to be 6-5 in a couple days unless they can beat Oklahoma in Norman. Best year he ever has had was last year, which was a weird year for a lot of reasons and that the team opened by losing to Louisiana. Never has beaten his rival, Iowa. They were 7-6 in 2019. Lost to West Virginia a few weeks ago. Lost to Texas Tech with an interim coach last week.

Not to say he's not a good coach, and I get why he is a candidate for some better jobs. He turned around Iowa State pretty quickly and they have been pretty good since then. Just seems like for years he has been described as a coaching genius who could have his pick of top-10 types of jobs when he manages to lose a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave this year while the bloom still is on the rose.

Reactions: justinbgocougs
I don't understand why Campbell is regarded so highly. He has a pretty loaded roster this year and still is likely to be 6-5 in a couple days unless they can beat Oklahoma in Norman. Best year he ever has had was last year, which was a weird year for a lot of reasons and that the team opened by losing to Louisiana. Never has beaten his rival, Iowa. They were 7-6 in 2019. Lost to West Virginia a few weeks ago. Lost to Texas Tech with an interim coach last week.

Not to say he's not a good coach, and I get why he is a candidate for some better jobs. He turned around Iowa State pretty quickly and they have been pretty good since then. Just seems like for years he has been described as a coaching genius who could have his pick of top-10 types of jobs when he manages to lose a lot. I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave this year while the bloom still is on the rose.

One of my co-workers is an Iowa State grad that played football under Chizik and Rhoads. He absolutely believes that Campbell is the best coach that Iowa State has seen. You have to go back 100 years to find a coach who won at the rate he has. Earl Bruce is the only other coach who had a winning record at Iowa State.

I agree that he seems a bit over-rated, particularly with the way that they fell on their face this year. The losses to Iowa and Baylor aren't bad since those teams are a combined 16-4 and the win over O-State is fantastic, but the choke jobs against West Virginia and Texas Tech are a bit baffling even if they were on the road.

FWIW, my co-worker says that there is no way he ends up at UW.

One of my co-workers is an Iowa State grad that played football under Chizik and Rhoads. He absolutely believes that Campbell is the best coach that Iowa State has seen. You have to go back 100 years to find a coach who won at the rate he has. Earl Bruce is the only other coach who had a winning record at Iowa State.

I agree that he seems a bit over-rated, particularly with the way that they fell on their face this year. The losses to Iowa and Baylor aren't bad since those teams are a combined 16-4 and the win over O-State is fantastic, but the choke jobs against West Virginia and Texas Tech are a bit baffling even if they were on the road.

Thanks ... interesting stuff. I appreciate that Iowa State is a hard place to win and that they have been starved for a winner for a long time. Just interesting that the fan base, the press, and everyone is adamant about how great he is, and he apparently is turning down NFL jobs and high-profile gigs, when he's in year 6 and on the verge of being 6-5 with some experienced, good players at key positions (Purdy, Hall, etc.). (I realize my repetition of this virtually guarantees they are beating Oklahoma, BTW.)

Not only is he not on the hot seat, he's rumored as a candidate for great jobs. When Leach had a year with a similar record one year after going 11-2, it was evidence to many that he was checked out and that the program was in major decline. Campbell followed up its own loss to us in that bowl game by going 7-6 in 2019, and now he's back in similar territory again.

I would prefer UW get someone else (other than Stoops), with each likely a pipe dream anyway, but I'm not convinced Campbell is all that he's cracked up to be, either.

I would agree. With the interest he’s getting he’s not touching UW. He may interview to drive up his value but they are not hiring him. He will go elsewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT