ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Reports No Deal Imminent Between Leach, Tennessee

ScottHood

Nov 8, 2007
Here's the link to the story: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21625326/mike-leach-washington-state-met-tennessee-discuss-head-coaching-vacancy

Interesting couple of paragraphs near the bottom of the story:

"When Leach surfaced as a potential candidate elsewhere last week, WSU president Kirk Schulz met with athletic department officials and decided that if Leach were to leave, they would make defensive coordinator Alex Grinch the primary target to replace him, sources told ESPN's Kyle Bonagura.

At that time, WSU was already engaged in talks with Leach's representative on a raise and contract extension. An offer was presented to Leach's representative this week, and he was underwhelmed by the offer, sources told Bonagura.

Leach had a good relationship with former WSU athletic director Bill Moos, and after Moos left to take the same job at Nebraska on Oct. 15, Leach made a recommendation to Schulz on a possible successor. The job has yet to be filled, and Leach has grown frustrated by the lack of communication about the search process, a source told Bonagura. John Johnson, the interim AD, will not be considered for the permanent job."

That they were in talks on an extension makes me think he is using UTenn for leverage. I am not saying he's staying. Maybe the offer was so "offensive" he decided to leave. This is where we are somewhat screwed not having Moos around.

Anyway, it is what it is. Really hope he stays but if he goes he goes. He's left us in infinitely better shape.

Reactions: VolPanther
That they were in talks on an extension makes me think he is using UTenn for leverage. I am not saying he's staying. Maybe the offer was so "offensive" he decided to leave. This is where we are somewhat screwed not having Moos around.

Anyway, it is what it is. Really hope he stays but if he goes he goes. He's left us in infinitely better shape.

We all knew that.when Moos left....anything was possible.

Here's the link to the story: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-met-tennessee-discuss-head-coaching-vacancy
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-met-tennessee-discuss-head-coaching-vacancy

"When Leach surfaced as a potential candidate elsewhere last week, WSU president Kirk Schulz met with athletic department officials and decided that if Leach were to leave, they would make defensive coordinator Alex Grinch the primary target to replace him, sources told ESPN's Kyle Bonagura.

At that time, WSU was already engaged in talks with Leach's representative on a raise and contract extension. An offer was presented to Leach's representative this week, and he was underwhelmed by the offer, sources told Bonagura.

Leach had a good relationship with former WSU athletic director Bill Moos, and after Moos left to take the same job at Nebraska on Oct. 15, Leach made a recommendation to Schulz on a possible successor. The job has yet to be filled, and Leach has grown frustrated by the lack of communication about the search process, a source told Bonagura. John Johnson, the interim AD, will not be considered for the permanent job."

I'd make him the 4th highest paid coach in the conference and give him a $500k incentive to beat U dub....with a $100k incentive to get within 3 TDs. :D

Hey Tennessee, why haven’t you called me, I’m available and well qualified—check this out: “ok ya’all, let’s go out there and play good hard nosed football.”

Here's the link to the story: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-met-tennessee-discuss-head-coaching-vacancy
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-met-tennessee-discuss-head-coaching-vacancy

The "underwhelmed by the offer" part - who was underwhelmed, CML or his representative? C'mon coach, how much money do you need? Apple Cup grumblings aside, you are loved by the Cougar Nation, you can do and say whatever you want, and stay forever. Your kids have a great place to finish growing up, etc etc. And the future looks brighter than ever. You can "win big" here, as you said when we hired you (when no one else would I might add). Good luck getting an SEC title within the next 5-20 years.

That said, I wonder who CML recommended for AD. Maybe it was Johnson, who is a great guy. He's not a candidate, which I think is BS.

Hey Tennessee, why haven’t you called me, I’m available and well qualified—check this out: “ok ya’all, let’s go out there and play good hard nosed football.”
not sure you meet all the job qualifications...
LAYLA-KIFFIN-PICTURE-PHOTO.jpg

Reactions: mister noon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT