ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 commissioner blames schools for lacking patience, takes credit for football success

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island

Pac-12 commissioner blames schools for lacking patience, takes credit for football success​

Jon WilnerJan. 3, 2024 at 2:20 pm
In his first public comments in months, Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff did not express sorrow over the downfall of the conference or accept responsibility for his role in the collapse of a century-old college sports institution.

Instead, Kliavkoff appeared to take credit for the Pac-12’s successful football season and blame the schools for the failed media rights negotiations.

Who does Kliavkoff think he is, Larry Scott?

Approached by reporters in the Superdome on Monday night, following Washington’s playoff victory over Texas, Kliavkoff offered several brief comments.

He told Yahoo:

“Happy for the kids. They don’t deserve all the nonsense going on around them. We were focused on rebuilding football. Took 2 1/2 years. I wish it would have happened quicker. If some of our schools would have been a little more patient, it would have paid off.”

Seconds later, in a subsequent interview, he told 247Sports:

“Surreal. It’s surreal. It’s upsetting that some of our schools weren’t more patient because if they saw what we were building it would have paid off.”

First, let’s hit the easy target:

Blaming the schools for not being “more patient” epitomizes the complete disconnect between Kliavkoff and his campuses that ultimately doomed the negotiations and fractured the conference.

University presidents and athletic directors aren’t built to wait 13 months for a media rights deal, especially when the process is delayed repeatedly and the final offer isn’t what they anticipated.

In an alternate universe, sure, the Pac-12 could have bet on itself in the fall of 2023 and signed a lucrative deal this winter. But in the real world, with risk-averse presidents and athletic directors facing daily pressures on the front lines, the strategy was all wrong.

(Kliavkoff didn’t have the requisite urgency last winter and, apparently, hasn’t learned from the mistake.)

Before we plunge into the legitimacy of his view on the football “rebuilding” process, understand the circumstances under which Kliavkoff offered his comments.

It was not a formal session with the media. It was impromptu and brief and not the place for Kliavkoff to provide a detailed assessment of any topic.

Could Kliavkoff have declined to comment? Sure. But he’s an affable guy who probably didn’t want to snub familiar reporters.

Also, Kliavkoff absolutely believes what he said.

The Hotline has engaged in enough conversations over the years with Kliavkoff and various Pac-12 and campus officials to be fairly certain that he’s convinced of his own role in the conference’s on-field success — and wants credit for it.

Two years ago this week, in fact, we reported the following:

New commissioner George Kliavkoff hopes to change that state of affairs by making the case to the university presidents and chancellors that investing in football can provide returns that benefit not only cash-strapped athletic departments but entire campuses.

“Historically, I don’t think we’ve made a great case for the ROI of footbalI,’’ Kliavkoff told the Hotline. “I’m not going to take the opportunity to speak to my 12 bosses without talking about it. It’s going to be a constant topic. They are going to get tired of hearing it from me.’’

And let’s not forget that on the day he was hired, back in May 2021, Kliavkoff declared his priorities to be winning national championships in football and men’s basketball:

“We know where our bread is buttered. We’re focused on the revenue sports and winning in football and men’s basketball.”

Forget the subsequent ash and ruin. The conference is on the brink of a football championship — its first since USC in 2004 — and the opportunity comes on Kliavkoff’s watch.

Does he deserve any credit?

Not in our view.

Why? Because Oregon and Washington were primarily responsible for the Pac-12’s success this season, and neither situation fits neatly into Kliavkoff’s narrative.

The Ducks have been spending on football for years. Phil Knight, of all people, needs no convincing.

Meanwhile, the Huskies didn’t step far outside their standard resource range in order to reach the championship game.

They hired Kalen DeBoer two years ago for $3.1 million a year, then gave him a whopping raise last season all the way to … $4.2 million per year!

According to USA Today’s salary database, 43 major college coaches were better compensated than DeBoer this season — and that doesn’t include those at private schools.

Sure, the Huskies will have to spend top dollar to keep DeBoer, but the path to 14-0 was hardly lined with gold.

On the other hand, USC poured immense resources into the Lincoln Riley regime in the fall of 2021. But that decision had nothing to do with Kliavkoff’s case “for the ROI of football” and everything to do with one of the sport’s blue bloods paying market rate for an elite coach in order to reclaim its place of prominence.

As best we can tell, only one school reset its football spending and (potentially) did so in response to Kliavkoff’s case for more football resources.

That school, Colorado, finished last.

Jon Wilner: jwilner@bayareanewsgroup.com; on Twitter: @wilnerhotline.

As far as I’m concerned, that’s just more reason he should be fired. Completely out of touch with reality.

Pac-12 commissioner blames schools for lacking patience, takes credit for football success​

In his first public comments in months, Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff did not express sorrow over the downfall of the conference or accept responsibility for his role in the collapse of a century-old college sports institution.

Instead, Kliavkoff appeared to take credit for the Pac-12’s successful football season and blame the schools for the failed media rights negotiations.

Approached by reporters in the Superdome on Monday night, following Washington’s playoff victory over Texas, Kliavkoff offered several brief comments.

He told Yahoo:

“Happy for the kids. They don’t deserve all the nonsense going on around them. We were focused on rebuilding football. Took 2 1/2 years. I wish it would have happened quicker. If some of our schools would have been a little more patient, it would have paid off.”

“Surreal. It’s surreal. It’s upsetting that some of our schools weren’t more patient because if they saw what we were building it would have paid off.”

Blaming the schools for not being “more patient” epitomizes the complete disconnect between Kliavkoff and his campuses that ultimately doomed the negotiations and fractured the conference.

University presidents and athletic directors aren’t built to wait 13 months for a media rights deal, especially when the process is delayed repeatedly and the final offer isn’t what they anticipated.

In an alternate universe, sure, the Pac-12 could have bet on itself in the fall of 2023 and signed a lucrative deal this winter. But in the real world, with risk-averse presidents and athletic directors facing daily pressures on the front lines, the strategy was all wrong.

(Kliavkoff didn’t have the requisite urgency last winter and, apparently, hasn’t learned from the mistake.)

Before we plunge into the legitimacy of his view on the football “rebuilding” process, understand the circumstances under which Kliavkoff offered his comments.

It was not a formal session with the media. It was impromptu and brief and not the place for Kliavkoff to provide a detailed assessment of any topic.

Could Kliavkoff have declined to comment? Sure. But he’s an affable guy who probably didn’t want to snub familiar reporters.

The Hotline has engaged in enough conversations over the years with Kliavkoff and various Pac-12 and campus officials to be fairly certain that he’s convinced of his own role in the conference’s on-field success — and wants credit for it.

New commissioner George Kliavkoff hopes to change that state of affairs by making the case to the university presidents and chancellors that investing in football can provide returns that benefit not only cash-strapped athletic departments but entire campuses.

“Historically, I don’t think we’ve made a great case for the ROI of footbalI,’’ Kliavkoff told the Hotline. “I’m not going to take the opportunity to speak to my 12 bosses without talking about it. It’s going to be a constant topic. They are going to get tired of hearing it from me.’’

And let’s not forget that on the day he was hired, back in May 2021, Kliavkoff declared his priorities to be winning national championships in football and men’s basketball:

“We know where our bread is buttered. We’re focused on the revenue sports and winning in football and men’s basketball.”

Forget the subsequent ash and ruin. The conference is on the brink of a football championship — its first since USC in 2004 — and the opportunity comes on Kliavkoff’s watch.

Not in our view.

Why? Because Oregon and Washington were primarily responsible for the Pac-12’s success this season, and neither situation fits neatly into Kliavkoff’s narrative.

The Ducks have been spending on football for years. Phil Knight, of all people, needs no convincing.

Meanwhile, the Huskies didn’t step far outside their standard resource range in order to reach the championship game.

They hired Kalen DeBoer two years ago for $3.1 million a year, then gave him a whopping raise last season all the way to … $4.2 million per year!

According to USA Today’s salary database, 43 major college coaches were better compensated than DeBoer this season — and that doesn’t include those at private schools.

Sure, the Huskies will have to spend top dollar to keep DeBoer, but the path to 14-0 was hardly lined with gold.

On the other hand, USC poured immense resources into the Lincoln Riley regime in the fall of 2021. But that decision had nothing to do with Kliavkoff’s case “for the ROI of football” and everything to do with one of the sport’s blue bloods paying market rate for an elite coach in order to reclaim its place of prominence.

As best we can tell, only one school reset its football spending and (potentially) did so in response to Kliavkoff’s case for more football resources.

I dont disagree on the scjools being more patient statement

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Typical politician. F off you useless POS.
I just threw up on the floor. Good thing my trusty dog likes barf! Manged to keep it on the kitchen linoleum.

"If some of our schools would have been a little more patient, it would have paid off.”

WTF? Paid off from the shit streaming deal that he was falling back on after the PAC was too patient to take the $30 million ESPN deal that the Big 12 promptly snapped up?

The board needs to suspend him so he can’t go to the NC game and take credit if the uw (puke) wins.

He told Yahoo:

Not in our view.

Memories are short. What about the the university president who instructed Kliavkof to go get a $50M offer last year. That was unrealistic. Kliavkoff's failing was not pushing the Presidents for the $30M deal in '22. I do agree that Kliavkoff and the Pac 12 were undermined by the double talk from the Huskies and Ducks. They killed the Pac. Let's not start re-writing history just because you need clicks and readers, Wilner.

Thanks for this thread, MI!

I'm with longtime that the patience comment has some validity.

I'm with Wilner that GK could not read the room. The pressure (from every direction, including self-imposed) on the various institutional leaders was way out of their comfort zone, and a year was too long to diddle around, even if it seemed like a reasonable negotiating strategy at the time. The longer it went the higher the anxiety on the part of the institutions, and GK simply ignored that.

I'm with whoisyour re: the president idiot who told GK that he had to chase a $50m myth. We'll never know how much time that cost curious George.

As for George having any direct credit for the PAC football performance, don't be silly. He did nothing (nothing) in that area, and I'll even include the one area for which I had hope when he started: our crappy officiating. That was the one football thing I thought he might actually do something about, but of course, he did very little.

I slept on this and the one thing we need to keep in mind, is if we want to rebuild this thing, the more GK spews schools jumped the gun, weren't patient, it definitely helps our long-term cause to get them back (politically).

Even though i think the guy can't accept any reasonability for anything from a personality perspective, he could have some utility.

I slept on this and the one thing we need to keep in mind, is if we want to rebuild this thing, the more GK spews schools jumped the gun, weren't patient, it definitely helps our long-term cause to get them back (politically).

Even though i think the guy can't accept any reasonability for anything from a personality perspective, he could have some utility.
THere's a kernel of truth in the lack of patience, but it's small. They waited 13 months for him to come up with something, and how many times did he promise it was coming, but never did? He did a poor job of selling/representing the conference, even to the conference itself.

On top of that, once things started coming apart, he stopped acting on the conference's behalf and started ignoring or circumventing rules that he knew were in place. I still say he's fired for cause...and this just gives more cause.

THere's a kernel of truth in the lack of patience, but it's small. They waited 13 months for him to come up with something, and how many times did he promise it was coming, but never did? He did a poor job of selling/representing the conference, even to the conference itself.

On top of that, once things started coming apart, he stopped acting on the conference's behalf and started ignoring or circumventing rules that he knew were in place. I still say he's fired for cause...and this just gives more cause.
They'll negotiate a settlement is my bet. I think certain suspect outgoing schools (SC, UW), don't want to see some expose of how their greed and lies sabotaged the conference.

Last edited:
Memories are short. What about the the university president who instructed Kliavkof to go get a $50M offer last year. That was unrealistic. Kliavkoff's failing was not pushing the Presidents for the $30M deal in '22. I do agree that Kliavkoff and the Pac 12 were undermined by the double talk from the Huskies and Ducks. They killed the Pac. Let's not start re-writing history just because you need clicks and readers, Wilner.
And where the F were the other 11 Presidents, including our own revered, supposedly sports savvy Kirk Schulz? They sat there and let one guy make the decisions? Mealy mouthed wimp(s).

And where the F were the other 11 Presidents, including our own revered, supposedly sports savvy Kirk Schulz? They sat there and let one guy make the decisions? Mealy mouthed wimp(s).
Worse than that, actually. It wasn't the university president who said we should get $50M. It was some professor at that school who told the president, and then the president passed it on. So the 11 got convinced by a secondhand opinion.

Although...USC/UCLA had probably already started looking at the Big 10 and $60M by that time, so they probably just nodded along while dialing the B10 commissioner under the table.

Worse than that, actually. It wasn't the university president who said we should get $50M. It was some professor at that school who told the president, and then the president passed it on. So the 11 got convinced by a secondhand opinion.

Although...USC/UCLA had probably already started looking at the Big 10 and $60M by that time, so they probably just nodded along while dialing the B10 commissioner under the table.
Yeah but the $30 million ESPN offer hit after they announced they were leaving if I remember correctly. Pick up SDSU and one other and back we come.

The so called PAC-12 leadership completely sucks, was incompetent, lazy, entitled, stupid, arrogant and has SFB. They were/are an embarrassment and in almost any other business/company would be fired and with good reason. Another area in life with no justice. What a bunch of A holes.

The so called PAC-12 leadership completely sucks, was incompetent, lazy, entitled, stupid, arrogant and has SFB. They were/are an embarrassment and in almost any other business/company would be fired and with good reason. Another area in life with no justice. What a bunch of A holes.

George invoked this on to himself. He needed to take control of the situation and to tell them to sign with the ESPN deal that the Big-12 got. Put in certain performance/ratings clauses. He didn't. He failed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT