ADVERTISEMENT

*** FREE SIGNING DAY CHAT FROM 11 a.m. -- 12:30 p.m. ***

britton ransford

Hall Of Fame
Oct 23, 2012
I'll be hosting a free NSD chat from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. today. You can start posting questions below and I'll get to them around 11.

This post was edited on 2/4 6:19 AM by Britton Ransford

Is there anything left on the board that wouldn't be a negative surprise?

THREE QUESTIONS

1. What is the status of Rudinski?

2. We need to win this season. At least a bowl game. How much negative recuiting occured in your opinion?

3. With Simmons very likely going to coach at Oklahoma what could have Coach Leach done to "seal the deal" with those that flipped? We virtually lost every Simmons recruit.

Go Cougs!

Re: THREE QUESTIONS

Originally posted by EdmondsCoug:

2. We need to win this season. At least a bowl game. How much negative recuiting occured in your opinion?

3. With Simmons very likely going to coach at Oklahoma what could have Coach Leach done to "seal the deal" with those that flipped? We virtually lost every Simmons recruit.

Go Cougs!
Sorry for getting this so late. As you can imagine, my day was a little hectic.

1. As I'm sure you're now aware, it sounds like Rudinski has flipped to Dartmouth. Clearly an academic move.

2. I'm pretty sure there was A LOT of negative recruiting, however if you look at the schools that flipped WSU recruits this year (USC, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arizona State, Oregon and Stanford) you don't need negative recruiting. You just need to show them your resume to flip them from WSU. The Cougars need to win games before they win those battles. Until then, they'll continue to be a placeholder.

3. Let's look at the commits that de-committed who were recruited by Simmons, who is now confirmed to be going to OU.
-Dahu Green - he was following Simmons regardless
-Dillon Faamatau - he wasn't sticking; visited ASU multiple times; was holding spot because ASU had other options
-Willie Sykes - not even going to waste my time explaining this kids decisions
-Deontay Burnett - Leach tried his best to keep him at WSU; he clearly would have jumped at any USC offer
-Kyahva Tezino - his decision had nothing to do with Simmons and everything to do with staying close to home

Dahu Green and Deontay Burnett are the two that Simmons really had an impact on, and in their situations, there wasn't much Leach could do. He kept Burnett until USC jumped in late.

Originally posted by EdmondsCoug:

Go Cougs!
Sorry for getting this so late. As you can imagine, my day was a little hectic.

1. As I'm sure you're now aware, it sounds like Rudinski has flipped to Dartmouth. Clearly an academic move.

2. I'm pretty sure there was A LOT of negative recruiting, however if you look at the schools that flipped WSU recruits this year (USC, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arizona State, Oregon and Stanford) you don't need negative recruiting. You just need to show them your resume to flip them from WSU. The Cougars need to win games before they win those battles. Until then, they'll continue to be a placeholder.

3. Let's look at the commits that de-committed who were recruited by Simmons, who is now confirmed to be going to OU.
-Dahu Green - he was following Simmons regardless
-Dillon Faamatau - he wasn't sticking; visited ASU multiple times; was holding spot because ASU had other options
-Willie Sykes - not even going to waste my time explaining this kids decisions
-Deontay Burnett - Leach tried his best to keep him at WSU; he clearly would have jumped at any USC offer
-Kyahva Tezino - his decision had nothing to do with Simmons and everything to do with staying close to home

Dahu Green and Deontay Burnett are the two that Simmons really had an impact on, and in their situations, there wasn't much Leach could do. He kept Burnett until USC jumped in late.

Seems to me, though talented, Simmons recruits ran to the immature side of the ledger, thus the flipping and lack of loyalty. Would rather have a recruiter look for talent AND maturity when doing their evaluations. Guess what I'm saying: the loss of Simmons may not be as damaging as some have imagined.

Originally posted by bogusto:
Seems to me, though talented, Simmons recruits ran to the immature side of the ledger, thus the flipping and lack of loyalty. Would rather have a recruiter look for talent AND maturity when doing their evaluations. Guess what I'm saying: the loss of Simmons may not be as damaging as some have imagined.
Yes and no. There are a lot of people that are involved in evaluations. Simmons may not have even been the main evaluator at the beginning of recruiting the players that committed to him. Of course, as time goes on and he has many in person visits with a recruit, I am sure he has his thoughts and can tell Leach that he thinks we should stop recruiting a player for various reasons.

Simmons did make contacts the last several years and the relationships he had with players (sophomores and juniors) and coaches will be missed. But, both Grinch, Manning and perhaps Jackson will be very good recruiters in their own right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT