ADVERTISEMENT

FSU/ACC

Brent H.

Hall Of Fame
Aug 13, 2001
FSU having an emergency board meeting tomorrow to start the process of leaving the ACC after being left out of the CFP. Realignment has now targeted the ACC. Laughing at Cal and Stanford taking a 30% share thinking this conference was stable when it’s been an open that FSU has wanted out when they joined.

FSU having an emergency board meeting tomorrow to start the process of leaving the ACC after being left out of the CFP. Realignment has now targeted the ACC. Laughing at Cal and Stanford taking a 30% share thinking this conference was stable when it’s been an open that FSU has wanted out when they joined.
Does FSU end up in the Big or SEC?

I don't blame FSU for being pissed, with 2 one loss teams making it while they were shunned. But why is that the ACC's fault? Clemson didn't get shunned in the past. And where will they go? The SEC where they will play 3nd or 4th fiddle to Alabama, Georgia and soon Texas?

Same with the Big with Michigan, Ohio State and soon the mutts? The Big 12 so they can play the likes of BYU and Iowa State?

"what a puny plan" - Lord Humungus in The Road Warrior

Does FSU end up in the Big or SEC?
I'd guess the B1G wants them more to extend their presence to the southeast.

If FSU finds a way out, so will NC, Clemson, and Miami. And if they join the B1G, that would be a conference that spans east to west and north down to the Midwest.

Televised conference games on from 9am - 7pm. That's all I have to say about that.

Is another league going to close down? ACC has 16 teams including Cal and Stanford, they may have safety in numbers if they lose 4 and drop to 12.

Is another league going to close down? ACC has 16 teams including Cal and Stanford, they may have safety in numbers if they lose 4 and drop to 12.
Like the B12 how viable is a league if they lose their biggest brands. B12 isn’t so big without Texas and Oklahoma.

The strength in numbers comes into play when looking at a coast-to-coast super conference with regional divisions, ACC/B12/P2.

The Big-10/Fox would want more east coast TV, namely in the south. FSU, Clemson, UNC and Miami will be the targets for the Big-10. ESPN is struggling and I don't think is willing to pony up lot of money to the SEC to land those 4 schools.

Supposedly the BIG presidents don’t want FSU bc they aren’t an AAU member but their media partners do which means FSU is going to the BIG.

Supposedly the BIG presidents don’t want FSU bc they aren’t an AAU member but their media partners do which means FSU is going to the BIG.
Nebraska lost its AAU status so this opens the door. Also, if they want them (FSU), they can do something creative like give a bonus to schools with AAU status.

The big hurdle to FSU's exit has been their grant of rights to the ACC. Basically, the ACC has FSU's media rights through 2036, even if they switch conferences. I don't see them moving if they don't find a way around that, and no other conference is giving them a full share if they don't get money for games in Tallahassee.

If FSU has found a way around the grant of rights, that'll be as big a news item as their move is, and it will affect every program.

The big hurdle to FSU's exit has been their grant of rights to the ACC. Basically, the ACC has FSU's media rights through 2036, even if they switch conferences. I don't see them moving if they don't find a way around that, and no other conference is giving them a full share if they don't get money for games in Tallahassee.

If FSU has found a way around the grant of rights, that'll be as big a news item as their move is, and it will affect every program.
Still not feeling it. They are butthurt about the BCS snub - and rightfully so. Not the ACC's fault though.

Still not feeling it. They are butthurt about the BCS snub - and rightfully so. Not the ACC's fault though.
They want out and into the Big-10 or SEC - just like UW did - and they will use any window of opportunity to do that.

One pure guess is they try and open up the GOR and say the conditions they signed the GOR under were a certain makeup of schools. Now that the ACC has changed that, and will cause FSU to increase travel, resulting in student athlete "harm" they shouldn't be "stuck" w/ this agreement.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
They want out and into the Big-10 or SEC - just like UW did - and they will use any window of opportunity to do that.

One pure guess is they try and open up the GOR and say the conditions they signed the GOR under were a certain makeup of schools. Now that the ACC has changed that, and will cause FSU to increase travel, resulting in student athlete "harm" they shouldn't be "stuck" w/ this agreement.
Hard to imagine that flying. I'm sure there's something in their conference rules about expansion specifically, and about decisions generally, that says something to the effect of 'if the required number of conference members approve, all members will get on board with the decision.'

Yes, they've got a right to be pissed. They can even be pissed at the fact the conference didn't fight on their behalf. But that doesn't mean they have an exit path. I expect they'll find one eventually, it'll just be a question of what it will cost them. The ACC certainly isn't going to make it easy - if they let FSU go, Clemson and Miami will be right behind, and that's a big portion of their draw.

Hard to imagine that flying. I'm sure there's something in their conference rules about expansion specifically, and about decisions generally, that says something to the effect of 'if the required number of conference members approve, all members will get on board with the decision.'

Yes, they've got a right to be pissed. They can even be pissed at the fact the conference didn't fight on their behalf. But that doesn't mean they have an exit path. I expect they'll find one eventually, it'll just be a question of what it will cost them. The ACC certainly isn't going to make it easy - if they let FSU go, Clemson and Miami will be right behind, and that's a big portion of their draw.
I can't remember how many schools it takes to dissolve the ACC, seven if think. If seven have membership offers in conferences that pay more, it's over. So who can be assured of BIG or SEC membership. UVA, UNC, ND FSU...perhaps Clemson, Miami. That's five. If you look at TV ratings, I can't see anyone else making the jump.
It is worth a swing in the courts for FSU to see if they can get lucky and leave with their TV rights. If they were to get a favorable ruling, the rest would have no choice, it would be a run for the lifeboats.

I can't remember how many schools it takes to dissolve the ACC, seven if think. If seven have membership offers in conferences that pay more, it's over. So who can be assured of BIG or SEC membership. UVA, UNC, ND FSU...perhaps Clemson, Miami. That's five. If you look at TV ratings, I can't see anyone else making the jump.
It is worth a swing in the courts for FSU to see if they can get lucky and leave with their TV rights. If they were to get a favorable ruling, the rest would have no choice, it would be a run for the lifeboats.
75%. If 4 vote against, it fails.

The SEC or BIG may be willing to take on a school like NCState if they know it will sink the conference. Collegial went out the window a long time ago.

Pay pay pay. All about TV money. You can't tell me that FSU Athletics doesn't have a shitload of money and donors. (too lazy to look their financials up) But that's not enough? Maybe their media deal doesn't match the BIG and SEC because not enough people tune in to watch the ACC? Hello? Logistically, the SEC does make sense, but why would the SEC want them? Haven't they gobbled up enough programs? The BIG? Yeah double or triple your travel times and expenses and go freeze your ass off at FB games in November.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT