ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread: Wazzu (9-8, 3-2) at No. 12 Utah (14-3, 4-1)...

HALFTIME: Wazzu 27, Utah 46...

Washington State failed to make a shot over the last 6:18, going 0-for-10 during that span, and Utah finished the half on a 19-2 run to take a commanding 46-27 lead heading into the break.

After a quick start, which saw the Cougars hitting over 50 percent of their shots, the Cougars went cold, finishing the half shooting just 38 percent from the floor. Meanwhile, Utah, despite missing 6 of their last 8 shots, finished the half shooting 53 percent. The Cougars were 2-of-9 from behind the arc compared to the Utes' 5-of-14 mark from deep.

Washington State was led by Lacy's 8 points on 3-of-5 shooting. Hawkinson added six and Railey has 8. The Utes are led by Wright's 11 points and three others have at least six points.

Turnovers are the story of the half, as Washington State has struggled with the Utes' man-to-man pressure. The Cougars have eight turnovers, which the Utes have converted into 10 points. Utah has turned the ball over just once, leading to no points.

Box score:

B77A9yzIcAEiclL.png:large

FINAL: Wazzu 64, Utah 86...

Coming out of the half, Washington State made a few runs, eventually cutting the lead to 62-52 with just over 10 minutes left in the game, however Utah would have an answer to every Cougar run. No. 12 Utah would eventually pull away late and coast to a comfortable 86-64 win over Washington State, who falls to 9-9 overall and 3-3 in Pac-12 play.

Box score:

B77RSIxIAAAZlM_.png:large

Re: FINAL: Wazzu 64, Utah 86...

Not sure what to think of this game. On the one hand, we made runs at the #12 team in the country on their home court. On the other hand, we lost by 22. Hopefully we showed some improvement and can keep on improving.

Go Cougs!!!

Game notes and box score...

Here's the game notes, courtesy SID Jessica Holmes, from Washington State's 86-64 loss at No. 12 Utah.
Senior DaVonte Lacy led WSu with 15 points. He was 3-for-5 from 3-point range.WIth his 3 3-pointers, Lacy moved into sole possession of fifth place on WSU's career 3-point list. He passed Derrick Low (2005-08) and is now just 7 away (came in 10 away) from Bennie Seltzer (1990-93) in fourth with 230. Lacy has 233 3s.Sophomore Josh Hawkinson had his 11th double-double of the season with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Hawkinson has had double-figure rebounds in nine of the last 10 games.Freshman Trevor Dunbar played a career Pac-12-best 15 minutes. He tied his career high with 3 assists, a Pac-12 best.Senior Jordan Railey had a career-high 5 blocked shots. He added 12 points, reaching double-figures for the fourth time this season.Junior Aaron Cheatum had his first Pac-12 points, finishing with 2.WSU shot a season second-half best .600 (6-for-10) from 3-point range.WSU falls to 9-9 on the season and 3-3 in Pac-12 play. The Cougars travel to Boulder, Colo., to take on the Buffaloes, Saturday, Jan. 24 at 5 p.m. PT (6 p.m. MT).
Box Score:

B77adZuIYAAlxO1.png:large

Re: Game notes and box score...

Originally posted by Britton Ransford:
Freshman Trevor Dunbar played a career Pac-12-best 15 minutes. He tied his career high with 3 assists, a Pac-12 best

I'm excited to see Dunbar develop. As of now, he's extremely fast and out of control. Fortunately the latter can change and he may develop in to a very exciting player.

I have seen very little from Dunbar to make me excited until last night. I still think he is more of a liability than a positive at this point but I did see somethings that make me think he has an upside in the future.

He's raw but his strengths are things you can't really teach.

This post was edited on 1/22 5:52 PM by SaveFerris

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT