ADVERTISEMENT

Gordon dropping them in the bucket!!

ShockandAweWSU

Head Coach
Feb 20, 2018
Just basing on video from last 3 practices and what I saw in Lewiston, but Gordon throws a beautiful deep ball and his fade is the best I've seen for a long time. His arm strength is def stronger than Gubrud's. Glad to see the competition pushing Gordon to new heights. Either Gordon or Gage will be solid options and I really hope that whoever gets chosen will not look back starting week 1 drive 1.

Wouldn’t bother me to see both of them in each of week 1 and 2 then decide.

I wouldn't mind seeing both Gordon and Gubrud play in the season opener, but my early hunch was that Gordon would be the starter, just as I said Minshew was the guy a year ago. Gordon has made some significant strides. He's been in the program awhile, and he's got talent. I think Tinsley also has talent, but Gordon's release is quick, his arm is stronger, and he throws the long ball and the fade beautifully. And he's mobile. We know that's of value after watching Minshew dart around last season. From here on out, Leach needs to make this a requirement of QBs in his Air Raid offense.

I wouldn't mind seeing both Gordon and Gubrud play in the season opener, but my early hunch was that Gordon would be the starter, just as I said Minshew was the guy a year ago. Gordon has made some significant strides. He's been in the program awhile, and he's got talent. I think Tinsley also has talent, but Gordon's release is quick, his arm is stronger, and he throws the long ball and the fade beautifully. And he's mobile. We know that's of value after watching Minshew dart around last season. From here on out, Leach needs to make this a requirement of QBs in his Air Raid offense.

Mik has it on his own authority that Gubrud is guaranteed the starting spot no matter what........

I'm not mik, so I'll keep this short. I've heard Gordon is further along than Gubrud but neither of them are setting the world on fire. Given Gordon's experience edge, I would expect Gubrud to get all of next week to pass Gordon.

Wouldn’t bother me to see both of them in each of week 1 and 2 then decide.

It would bother me. Leach's philosophy is to give the starter about 80% of the reps, so playing two guys (or I guess preparing two guys) would mean the offense is falling behind where he wants it to be.

It would bother me. Leach's philosophy is to give the starter about 80% of the reps, so playing two guys (or I guess preparing two guys) would mean the offense is falling behind where he wants it to be.

Or, it means he's looking down the road to conference games, and New Mexico State and Northern Colorado are opportunities for your top 2 to get some valuable game experience. We might see Gubrud only in the fourth quarter, but his time there could prove useful should Gordon get hurt early on.

I thought Gubrud was a lock but Gordon hasn't seem to have received the memo.

Again, from what I'm hearing from people who have seen all the practices Gordon is further along but hasnt displayed the command of the huddle Minshew did last year at this time. Leach is going to keep the battle going until game week unless someone steps up and wins the job.

Again, from what I'm hearing from people who have seen all the practices Gordon is further along but hasnt displayed the command of the huddle Minshew did last year at this time. Leach is going to keep the battle going until game week unless someone steps up and wins the job.
With NMS and NC the 1st two games...it gives him another 2 weeks to absolutely decide and give them starter reps.

With NMS and NC the 1st two games...it gives him another 2 weeks to absolutely decide and give them starter reps.

Leach believes in timing and execution for his offense. I don't think he'll drag this out longer than the practice before game week. The difference between either Gubrud and Gordon getting full starter reps for three weeks probably outweighs whatever benefit we'd get from having the better of the two start.

Knowing Leach he makes his decision after today's scrimmage. He is really big on consistency and repitition. If you've seen a couple practices of his you've pretty much have seen all of them. Prob best for team to know who is gonna be the guy. 2 weeks til gameday. Cant wait!!

Sounds like Gordon was the best QB in the scrimmage today. Seems the battle is between him and GG now. I thought the job was Gubrud’s to lose, but Gordon just might beat him out.

It also appears that Fisher has really turned the corner at WR. Leach mentions him during almost every interview now. Said today that he might be the fastest guy on the team. He was always naturally fast, but his football speed must have really bumped up a few clicks.

Fisher might be the biggest development of Fall camp. With a true burner at WR, good luck defending Patmon and our numerous options in the slot.

Last edited:
Sounds like Gordon was the best QB in the scrimmage today. Seems the battle is between him and GG now. I thought the job was Gubrud’s to lose, but Gordon just might beat him out.

It also appears that Fisher has really turned the corner at WR. Leach mentions him during almost every interview now. Said today that he might be the fastest guy on the team. He was always naturally fast, but his football speed must have really bumped up a few clicked.

Fisher might be the biggest development of Fall camp. With a true burner at WR, good luck defending Patmon and our numerous options in the slot.

There might be some true and redshirt freshmen entering that realm?

Fisher has always been good, just never got any reps with the 1s. Since that one practice where Tay got dismissed he has shown what he can do with the 1's. Gordon might have won the job already. Leach is usually tight lipped about the QB race, hard for him to say a guy played better and then give the other guy the job on Monday. I'm starting to worry about Calvin. I heard he was real close a week and a half ago.

yes I agree. especially considering he missed the spring with the same injury. I'm sure his cardio isn't very good right now.Prob better than mine though. LOL

Calvin has a redshirt year if something keeps showing up as a nagging problem. Better that he use it and come back 100% next season than rush back and either be in and out all year or make himself worse
I have been thinking the same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT