ADVERTISEMENT

Greeny - this will hurt

Not if the Cougs are heading to G5 territory.

Chun better open up the checkbook or Kami and Kyle are next.
Yeah, I wondered about Greeny this year. With most of the roster in their last year and potential budget impacts, I wondered whether she would stick it out. Surprised the landing spot is somewhere like WVU. I don't know whether they have much of a history.

Yeah, I wondered about Greeny this year. With most of the roster in their last year and potential budget impacts, I wondered whether she would stick it out. Surprised the landing spot is somewhere like WVU. I don't know whether they have much of a history.
Shit, Davenport WA to Morgantown WV?

WVU is not an upgrade from a school perspective. Concern that we may end up G5 (and concern is probably the right word; nobody can see how this will play out over the next 2-3 years) may be part of the reason. Still, unless big budget cuts are anticipated, this is a bit of a head scratcher.

WVU is not an upgrade from a school perspective. Concern that we may end up G5 (and concern is probably the right word; nobody can see how this will play out over the next 2-3 years) may be part of the reason. Still, unless big budget cuts are anticipated, this is a bit of a head scratcher.
Why would volleyball give a shit about G5 status? G5 vs Power 5 is all about football. I'm just perplexed. She has her hubby as assistant coach, is worshipped at WSU. We gave her her shot at the bigtime - we snagged her from Lewis-Clark State for Gawdsakes!

No f-ing way would we consider cutting her salary. She needed a raise after her success. I don't know how many kids she has or their ages, but at what point does your family take precedence? Safe Pullman with a great school system vs a bunch of toothless hillbillies? Move 3,000 miles from what I assume is still existing family up in Davenport? Why? Why?

They must have offered her a buttload more money. But how much do you need? If Chun f-ed this up somehow, I will be so much more pissed than I am right now. He just needs to go regardless. Although I suppose he has some ridiculous long-term contract.

Looked her up. 2 daughters, oldest one playing golf at Montana State. Not sure how old the younger one is. Her and Hubby are alums, he played baseball for us. Gawd this just kills me.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
Why would volleyball give a shit about G5 status? G5 vs Power 5 is all about football. I'm just perplexed. She has her hubby as assistant coach, is worshipped at WSU. We gave her her shot at the bigtime - we snagged her from Lewis-Clark State for Gawdsakes!

No f-ing way would we consider cutting her salary. She needed a raise after her success. I don't know how many kids she has or their ages, but at what point does your family take precedence? Safe Pullman with a great school system vs a bunch of toothless hillbillies? Move 3,000 miles from what I assume is still existing family up in Davenport? Why? Why?

They must have offered her a buttload more money. But how much do you need? If Chun f-ed this up somehow, I will be so much more pissed than I am right now. He just needs to go regardless. Although I suppose he has some ridiculous long-term contract.

Looked her up. 2 daughters, oldest one playing golf at Montana State. Not sure how old the younger one is. Her and Hubby are alums, he played baseball for us. Gawd this just kills me.
You're perplexed, or do you need attention?

Budget. Plain and simple. There is no money to do anything.

I get that. It just seems like a panic move. There must be 2B1G and SEC schools looking also.
Fair.

But she would know better than us what her job prospects are. She's had plenty of success, and presumably other suitors over the years.

big budget cuts ARE expected, per Schulz.

That may have changed since the lawsuit victory, but we haven't heard as much yet.

Reactions: HCoug
You're perplexed, or do you need attention?

Budget. Plain and simple. There is no money to do anything.
What? Attention? WTF does that mean?

And we don't know shit about our budget, pending the whole Pac-2 mystery. As has been discussed before, the Mtn West schools seem to be doing fine with budgets much smaller than ours for the most part. Profitable Athletic programs at damn near all of them. Not going to search for the link that I posted before. And they kick our ass on occasion, Like last year's game against Fresno.

And to comment on Bleed's post - f Schulz. Big budget cuts? Based upon what information? Maybe if he looked at our bloated Athletics staffing, and his ridiculous list of VP's and overall administrative staffing at WSU, he might find some money. The VP thing just fries me. There is one that is a nice and somewhat competent person, but VP level? No f-ing way. Oh and start a new fundraising campaign for the University and Athletics. I don't think we have had one in 20 years. Our Foundation is a joke too. I know some of them. Peter Principle at work.

Sam Smith took a lot of shit, but he was the best President. Another of my many stories. So when I was at WSU, he came into my office one day. There had been some protest at his residence, I think it was Hispanic students bitching about something.

So Sam comes in and talks about it and relates how they tried to instigate a confrontation. He is/was about 5'6" and demonstrated how they had kind of physically pushed up against him. So he starts showing me, bumping up against all 6' of me. I swear, he basically shoved me clear across my office. WTH was I supposed to do? Push back against the President? Oh geezus. How I remember this shit with my dementia I don't know.

According to Brand X, Coach Greeny and Mr. Chun weren't the best of terms: "It's no secret around Pullman that she and (the)_ athletic director, for reasons publicly unclear, aren't atop each others' Christmas card list."

Always tough to see a successful coach leave, but maybe Chun. has an equally good replacement in mind if/when this day arrived?

Well, the last coach who was successful at WSU, left for Iowa and bombed, "resigning" after 4 years going 1-19 in conference in year 4, most recently canned by UNLV too. We'll see if UWV gives Greeny 6 years to turn the program around, like WSU did.

The 2023 team was our most talented, by far. Beat the eventual national champs Texas, in Austin in 4 sets, but lost that "final 4" potential mojo down the stretch, losing to the lowly Beavs at home at one point, during a stretch where we went 1-4. They rebounded a bit, but were never the same high end team that smoked BYU, Baylor, Texas and Oregon in successive weeks (3 ranked in the top 10, the other #18). That would screw with any coach's mind, and make them think that a change in scenery might be in order.

Well, the last coach who was successful at WSU, left for Iowa and bombed, "resigning" after 4 years going 1-19 in conference in year 4, most recently canned by UNLV too. We'll see if UWV gives Greeny 6 years to turn the program around, like WSU did.

The 2023 team was our most talented, by far. Beat the eventual national champs Texas, in Austin in 4 sets, but lost that "final 4" potential mojo down the stretch, losing to the lowly Beavs at home at one point, during a stretch where we went 1-4. They rebounded a bit, but were never the same high end team that smoked BYU, Baylor, Texas and Oregon in successive weeks (3 ranked in the top 10, the other #18). That would screw with any coach's mind, and make them think that a change in scenery might be in order.

SoCal, do you think Greeny lost some backing from the AD after the late-season skid?

I've heard Chun prides himself on being uber-competitive

SoCal, do you think Greeny lost some backing from the AD after the late-season skid?

I've heard Chun prides himself on being uber-competitive
I seriously doubt it. In AD terms, it was a successful season. In coaching, success is more relative and personal. Sometime you have to coach the hell out of kids just to attain a winning record. That last win is a Kool Aid bath moment. Other times a deep tournament run is underachieving! I think this team was eyeing a regional final or final four from the get go. 5 of 6 starters returning, a 1st team AA, a 1st team all conference and you add a former 1st team all conference to the fold. The 1996 and 2002 Cougs, under Fredrick, made regional finals. This team, though making it to the sweet 16, fell short of that. It had to hurt, especially knowing you beat the nation champs on their floor.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Playing a WCC Volleyball schedule next season amidst all of the future uncertainty was probably the final push out the door.
How good is the WCC in Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer, Softball and the other sports for girls?

According to Brand X, Coach Greeny and Mr. Chun weren't the best of terms: "It's no secret around Pullman that she and (the)_ athletic director, for reasons publicly unclear, aren't atop each others' Christmas card list."

Always tough to see a successful coach leave, but maybe Chun. has an equally good replacement in mind if/when this day arrived?
What the F. What did Charlie Chan do to piss her off? That little F-er needs to be fired yesterday.

No secret around Pullman? For F-s sake, someone needs to elaborate on this. Shit we can have video of some intern B-Fing some guy in the Senate conference room, but we can't get info on WTF Charlie Chan did to alienate Greeny?

Not if the Cougs are heading to G5 territory.

Chun better open up the checkbook or Kami and Kyle are next.
He can open up the check book but he’s going to have to post date the check. Greeny was the one coach who I thought might give us the home team discount. Assuming Kyle and Kami have power conference options it’s going to be real hard to keep them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT