ADVERTISEMENT

Grinch new DC at Oklahoma

You bring up a good point. Coaches stick with people they know, at least most of the time. So he might want to poach someone from our staff.

That being said, I'm not too concerned if he does. If there was been anything CML has shown, he knows how to upgrade staff. With just about every staff person, he's upgraded. Whomever, if anyone, leaves this offseason, CML will find someone. No doubts.
I suspect the quality of the upgrades and the ease at which he’s able to persuade them to come has, and will continue to increase as coaches watch the winning seasons start to pile up and see this as a great opportunity and fun place to coach.

Actually, he did leave with the expectation of being the DC at tOSU but after Schiano's rejection at Tennessee by faculty and students due to his having been at Penn State at the same time as Sandusky, he returned to tOSU's DC slot and Grinch was, if I recall correctly, downgraded to DB coach and also given the title of co-DC or something like that. His hire as co-DC at a higher profile school was a step up on the career path. I cannot blame him for the move and do not understand why others would. Pissed that he left-O.K.- but it was not a lateral movement.

Schiano was offered the job at Tennessee and it was taken back in November 2017. Grinch left WSU the following January 2018 or around two months later.

He left WSU to become a defensive backs coach at OSU. What you may be thinking about is that the New England Patriots offered Schiano a job in February 2018 and if he had accepted, Grinch would have replaced him at DC at OSU.

Last edited:
Schiano was offered the job at Tennessee and it was taken back in November 2017. Grinch left WSU the following January 2018 or around two months later.

He left WSU to become a defensive backs coach at OSU. What you may be thinking about is that the New England Patriots offered him a job in February 2018 and if he had accepted, Grinch would have replaced Schiano at DC at OSU.
Corrected again. I thought that Grinch was recruited to tOSU after Schiano accepted Tennessee's offer. Thanks for the correction. I'll sit down now.

I have a buddy that is a big OSU fan/alum.
There was lots of raised eyebrows when they hired Grinch, and there was games this year when the OSU defense looked really bad. Not sure if he was in their long term plans....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT