ADVERTISEMENT

Gueye REPORTEDLY staying in Draft.

mikalalas

Hall Of Fame
Feb 26, 2007
Smith didn't confirm it, but said that Gueye and his Agent, group is satisfied, believes, comfortable that Gueye would go about 30 to 40 in draft.

Smith also thinks Gueye will go 30 to 35 to 40 in draft.

But ESPN thinks Gueye will go 47, and has Gueye going 47 in their MOCK DRAFT.

The Athletic has Gueye being drafted as a flyer last pick of draft at #58 in their MOCK DRAFT.

And CBS Sports does NOT even have Gueye in their Top 60, and has Gueye outside their top 60.

It looks like Gueye will stay in Draft, and about a 75% chance he will be drafted 2nd round, and about a 1% chance that he will go last pick of 1st round, and if drafted about a 75% chance that drafted between picks 40 to 50 of 2nd round. And about 13% chance that drafted picks 50 to 58 of 2nd round. And about a 3% to 7% to 10% to 13% chance to go completely undrafted.

Gueye is making the same kind of mistake as James Williams, etc, and is greatly risking going undrafted, when if he stays for his Junior year, he would go about #14 to #27 in First round and some big time guaranteed money.

One thing that might be factoring into his decision, is that he is still injured, and his injury status is part of the reason why he isn't going slightly higher in draft.

Because of that Gueye might be afraid that if he stays he might get injured, and might go undrafted, etc, because of injury.

I think he is making a mistake, but oh well, wish him well.

Smith is saving the last 1 scholly spot left until after the draft, just in case Gueye changes his mind at the last second, then after the draft will either use scholly, if get a good enough player to finalize roster, or if don't find a good enough player, save it for next season.

Why do you assume Gueye would go higher in the draft if he stays?

There certainly is potential for that to happen for multiple reasons, added strength and development, weaker draft ect. However a guy who is going to be drafted largely on potential could easily hurt himself by coming back and playing at the same level next year as he did this year.

It’s obviously a tricky decision but imo he is making the right choice. He has more to loose by coming back than he has to gain. WSU/ Smith and staff have been instrumental in Gueye’s development but if he goes pro he’ll be working with the absolute best in the world. If he’s going to make it he needs that sooner more than later.
Obviously arguments can be made for both sides of this debate but ultimately its his decision and I wish him the very best. Of course the COUG in me would love to have him back for another year!!

What do y'all think of Guaye's NBA career prospects?

1. Future starter?
2. A career bench guy?
3. Won't make a NBA roster?
4. Will only play overseas.

I wish him the best. Not sure he has that fire to stick in the NBA. He has the talent. Those guys who make it in the NBA are a special breed. They have crazy talent, genetics, and strong competitive drive.

I'm leaning towards #4.

Personally I don’t see Gueye playing in the league for very long if at all. He checks enough boxes to get his shot but ultimately we’ve all seen better prospects who didn’t make it. It looks like he plans on staying in the draft. I thought he might withdraw this year and sign a G-League deal and take his shot next year after a whole year of nothing but basketball. All that being said we’ve all probably seen players make it who are worse than Gueye. Right place, right time, right coach/ system can be very important.

What do y'all think of Guaye's NBA career prospects?

1. Future starter?
2. A career bench guy?
3. Won't make a NBA roster?
4. Will only play overseas.

I wish him the best. Not sure he has that fire to stick in the NBA. He has the talent. Those guys who make it in the NBA are a special breed. They have crazy talent, genetics, and strong competitive drive.

I'm leaning towards #4.

I think he will be drafted mid 2nd round.

I think he will be signed, make a roster, as a deep reserve bench player.

Then he either gets injured or doesn't play well enough, so then gets sent down to NBA D League, where he starts, gets the development he needed by if he had stayed at WSU.

Then he gets called back up from NBA D League, where he becomes a career 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th man off the bench.

After a long career of doing that, then he plays overseas, where he then retires, and goes into coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT