ADVERTISEMENT

Happy New Year to you all and some thoughts on this "season" and 2021

Cougatron

Hall Of Fame
Oct 17, 2012
Hey everybody I haven't been around much this year but then again it's been a strange year, but I followed the games and just wanted to share what I saw going forward.

1. This was no season. If anything it was glorified full pads scrimmages at best. Rolo year 1 is just a really long offseason and honestly it's hard to evaluate him on anything this year to be honest.

2. What we can evaluate is what some of our future players look like and JDL looks the part of an exceptional QB in the making. He definitely had his struggles, but he is a Freshmen, working with new coaches and just trying to learn everything that goes into playing Power 5 football. He's definitely the most athletic QB we've had in a long time and I am excited about what he can do for us in the future. There were some great flashes of his capabilities this year.

3. The defense looks very much like a defense trying to learn new schemes and strategies I honestly am not worried about it because of Dickert's coaching history. A long time Bohl assistant he has the knowledge base to install a very stout defense.

I understand it can be frustrating watching a transition, but transitions are tough and I don't see anything that screams to me we are screwed. I just see a disjointed team in a VERY disjointed year and that's understandable. We had some injuries, we had a confusing year and then throw that into the blender of a transition year and well I would be shocked if we came out polished and completely together.

Really we will get a good idea of what Rolo's program will look like next year so have patience.

As to recruiting I see a lot of focus on Linebackers coming in and the defense which is good, but I would like to keep the cycle of getting a lot of big lineman. That's my one thing I see that we need to stay on top of. I do see a lot of focus on the defense and that's great, but we still need to grab 4-5 OL every class.

What I am seeing now is that we may have a very stout defense in a couple years, but may struggle with protecting the QB and while JDL has athleticism the more we can protect him as he develops the more lethal he'll get at picking teams apart.

Long story short, take this "season" with a grain of salt, and let's see what happens next year.

Go Cougs

P.S. I also see that CougEd still has no idea wtf he is talking about so it's nice to see that some things around here never change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT