ADVERTISEMENT

Football, things to watch this year: O line

roses04

Hall Of Fame
Oct 4, 2003
As we know Clay Mcguire is gone and the new OL coach is Jared Kaster. I would have liked to have seen Dickert hire someone with more experience, however since Kaster is the new coach he has my support, and I am going to look at the glass as half full. I do believe the OL will be better if they get decent coaching, simply because Mcguire is gone. I have bagged on Mcguire before and I will let you know I never played on the offensive line at any level, so what the hell would I know. And now that he is gone, I'll elaborate a bit more, I spoke to a former NFL player whose son was on the team back early in the Leach years , and I spoke to a long time NFL line coach, who has a couple of Super Bowl rings, that were familiar with Mcguire's coaching techniques. And they focused on what they felt was one of the most important things outside of pure strength and agility, they had many issues with the things he taught, but the common thread was footwork. Mcguire's approach to footwork was contrary to what both of them were taught and taught their players, in fact he taught things that most OL coaches taught you not to do. And for lack of a better term was f'd up. A few WSU lineman back in the early Leach years, that had NFL aspirations, spent time in the off season getting coaching from other line coaches, to unlearn some of the bad habits Mcguire was teaching. As we all know once Mason Miller took over after Clay's departure, the line improved, I am hoping for similar results this time. By the way, Mason Miller is now at Baylor, they just picked him up in February. Before coming to WSU Mason Miller spent about 10 years coaching at smaller colleges, spent 1 year at Nevada, then made the jump to Power 5 football at WSU. So, while Mason Miller had a few more years of experience, he had only had one year of D 1 experience, not much more than Jared Kaster. I wish coach Kaster and his unit nothing but success, and I hope to see a turn around this season.

Reactions: ATACFD
As we know Clay Mcguire is gone and the new OL coach is Jared Kaster. I would have liked to have seen Dickert hire someone with more experience, however since Kaster is the new coach he has my support, and I am going to look at the glass as half full. I do believe the OL will be better if they get decent coaching, simply because Mcguire is gone. I have bagged on Mcguire before and I will let you know I never played on the offensive line at any level, so what the hell would I know. And now that he is gone, I'll elaborate a bit more, I spoke to a former NFL player whose son was on the team back early in the Leach years , and I spoke to a long time NFL line coach, who has a couple of Super Bowl rings, that were familiar with Mcguire's coaching techniques. And they focused on what they felt was one of the most important things outside of pure strength and agility, they had many issues with the things he taught, but the common thread was footwork. Mcguire's approach to footwork was contrary to what both of them were taught and taught their players, in fact he taught things that most OL coaches taught you not to do. And for lack of a better term was f'd up. A few WSU lineman back in the early Leach years, that had NFL aspirations, spent time in the off season getting coaching from other line coaches, to unlearn some of the bad habits Mcguire was teaching. As we all know once Mason Miller took over after Clay's departure, the line improved, I am hoping for similar results this time. By the way, Mason Miller is now at Baylor, they just picked him up in February. Before coming to WSU Mason Miller spent about 10 years coaching at smaller colleges, spent 1 year at Nevada, then made the jump to Power 5 football at WSU. So, while Mason Miller had a few more years of experience, he had only had one year of D 1 experience, not much more than Jared Kaster. I wish coach Kaster and his unit nothing but success, and I hope to see a turn around this season.
We need better and more players at OL.

The DNA and talent they will be competing against is going down. If they aren’t successful this year…. when will they be successful? How much worse does the competition have to be before they are now overpowering kids?

Any true BCS program with legitimate BCS coaching and talent should be looking at this schedule and thinking they are going to win a lot of games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT