ADVERTISEMENT

Help: Oregon game

cougcowboy

Varsity
Nov 9, 2014
My wife and I are going to be in Oregon during the weekend when we play the ducks. Hoping to go to the game. Where do you recommend we look for tickets? I've never gone to an away game before, does WSU have an allotment of tickets to sell? Never been to Autzen; are there bad seats? Any recommendations? Is any of the stadium covered (I doubt the bride wants to get wet if it rains). Any help you all can give would be appreciated. GO Cougs!

My wife and I are going to be in Oregon during the weekend when we play the ducks. Hoping to go to the game. Where do you recommend we look for tickets? I've never gone to an away game before, does WSU have an allotment of tickets to sell? Never been to Autzen; are there bad seats? Any recommendations? Is any of the stadium covered (I doubt the bride wants to get wet if it rains). Any help you all can give would be appreciated. GO Cougs!

http://www.wsucougars.com/sports/2013/8/1/20893163.aspx

Reactions: cougcowboy

They say "it never rains in Autzen Stadium." It's wide open if it rains. Had lots of friends go there, but have never been in Autzen myself

Sit with the Cougs in the Coug section. If you don't you will be harassed to no end.

Sit with the Cougs in the Coug section. If you don't you will be harassed to no end.
Actually, both times I've been to Autzen, (we won both), I picked up really good seats, (Craigslist - not in the COUG section, or from someone selling tickets right outside the stadium), and never been harassed.

Duck fans, for the most part, are cordial, nice and respect COUGS. It's the Huskies they have issues with, IMO.

Last edited:
There are many, many awesome Duck fans . . . but Duck "fans" can also be very nasty, especially when the Ducks are doing well and the bandwagon fans show up in droves, because they don't care about how their actions reflect on UO. If you sit in a non-Cougar section, be prepared for beverages to be "spilled" on you. Bring earplugs. Hopefully, you won't need them and you have a pleasant experience.

For parking, consider avoiding the large lots at Autzen. From the north, drive past 105 and Autzen and cross the river. Take exit 191 and cross back over I5 on Glenwood, get back on I5 going north, take exit 192 and go west toward campus. There are paid parking lots in the business parks off Garden Street. On your mapping app, plug in the Dutch Bros. location at Franklin & Walnut, coming from the north and it should give you the same directions I just gave.
Then walk across the river on the footbridges to Autzen. Easier to get out after the game.

Please check this information out with someone who's been more currently than me. My last trip was the 55-16 win. After experiencing Autzen hospitality, my wife refuses to go back. If I ever go back, I would only sit in the Cougar section.

If you only need a couple of seats, you can always find good tickets being sold by people at the stadium. I realize that it's unnerving to plan a trip without tickets in hand, but there will be plenty of people walking around, holding up tickets for sale before the game.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Bite your tongue ! We're way worse!
tumblr_muhk13kSRC1s03u14o2_250.gif

they are every bit as bad as husky fans
I won't post my story for the umpteenth time, but this is the experience I had, except they were worse than any husky fan.

I can take a ton of verbal abuse - that's par for the course. But never at Husky stadium have I had batteries/ coins, food thrown at me, where as at Autzen I have. F the Ducks and their fans.

There's bad fans for every team. My buddy and I stood up for an Oregon student around Greek row and backed him up When we were in school. They were being idiots and trying to fight him just because he was a ducks fan.

I won't post my story for the umpteenth time, but this is the experience I had, except they were worse than any husky fan.

I can take a ton of verbal abuse - that's par for the course. But never at Husky stadium have I had batteries/ coins, food thrown at me, where as at Autzen I have. F the Ducks and their fans.

I've mentioned this maybe one other time, but yeah I have had consistently the worst time at Husky Stadium.

Here is the run down for the last three times I've been to Husky Stadium (each time was an Apple Cup).

2007- Verbal abuse throughout the game, but mostly directed at the girls we were with ("You gunna suck my d*ck you cougar whore!?"... things like that). We of course shot back a few insults, mostly "Get lost" or "you shut the f*ck up". It culminated in the 4th quarter when a Husky fan poured his whole drink over the head of one of the girls we were with. That, of course, was the last straw. Lucky for us the main Husky instigators were tall skinny dorks, the brawl (if you can even call it that) lasted about 30 seconds with most of the instigators eating concrete, no arrests mostly because no punches were thrown (a lot of grabbing and shoving and throwing).

2009 (by far the worst)- Pregame my big group of buddies are walking along the west side of Montlake on our way to the stadium. As you know on that side of the street the sidewalk eventually disappears. As we passed under a few of the pedestrian overpasses we caught some sh*t from the Husky students shouting from the overpasses. Well as we are waiting for a safe time to cross the street a Husky on one of the overpasses shouts down at (AGAIN) one of the girls in our group, essentially calling her a slut, etc... Well her name is Jenny and she was a little spitfire and decided to sprint alone across the street and confront that husky as he walked down the stairs from the pedestrian overpass. No one else followed her, but we watched and she got in his face and called him out for being sexiest/an a**hole/etc.. Then out of NO WHERE the dude punches her right in the face, dropping Jenny like a bad habit. With that, almost like in the beginning of Gangs of New York, the entirety of my group charges across the street at him (along with the other random Coug fans standing with us). He must have been drunker than hell cause he just stared at us like a deer in head lights. He was with a big group and two of his buddies grabbed him and the three ran for it into the tailgating area. The remainder of his group (who were still throwing insults at her on the ground) just stood there watching us come at them and I think they didn't expect the carnage that ensued, but our group collided with their's and basically there were punches thrown and people got tackled. Again, we kicked the crap out of them before cops ran over blowing whistles and broke it up. No one got arrested simply because 20+ people saw a Husky dude knock out a women, so the cops essentially let everyone off (I think they were just stressed out at what just occurred and were like "just get out of here").

2015- Nothing bad. Basically got harassed by a big old fat guy the entire game. He was doing his very best to try and provoke a fight, literally SCREAMING in my face at every good thing that happened to the Huskies (touchdowns, 4th down stops, goal line stands, etc..). He had a little routine where he would jump up and first scream/cheer towards the field, then turn to his wife and cheer/high-five her, then turn around face-level to me and SCREAAAMMMMMMM. Finally an even BIGGER coug fan sitting behind me leaned over me to the dude and was like "You keep screaming in our faces and I'll break your jaw". He shut up the rest of the 4th quarter lol.

I am undecided if I want to go to this year's Apple Cup. If I do I'll either go in a giant group of friends and family, or simply sit in the designated Coug section. I'm getting too old dealing with Seattle fans (I've seen the same nasty behavior at Seahawk games and occasionally at Sounder games as well, I have concluded that its just a "Seattle Fan" thing, not just isolated to Huskies).

I've mentioned this maybe one other time, but yeah I have had consistently the worst time at Husky Stadium.

Here is the run down for the last three times I've been to Husky Stadium (each time was an Apple Cup).

2007- Verbal abuse throughout the game, but mostly directed at the girls we were with ("You gunna suck my d*ck you cougar whore!?"... things like that). We of course shot back a few insults, mostly "Get lost" or "you shut the f*ck up". It culminated in the 4th quarter when a Husky fan poured his whole drink over the head of one of the girls we were with. That, of course, was the last straw. Lucky for us the main Husky instigators were tall skinny dorks, the brawl (if you can even call it that) lasted about 30 seconds with most of the instigators eating concrete, no arrests mostly because no punches were thrown (a lot of grabbing and shoving and throwing).

2009 (by far the worst)- Pregame my big group of buddies are walking along the west side of Montlake on our way to the stadium. As you know on that side of the street the sidewalk eventually disappears. As we passed under a few of the pedestrian overpasses we caught some sh*t from the Husky students shouting from the overpasses. Well as we are waiting for a safe time to cross the street a Husky on one of the overpasses shouts down at (AGAIN) one of the girls in our group, essentially calling her a slut, etc... Well her name is Jenny and she was a little spitfire and decided to sprint alone across the street and confront that husky as he walked down the stairs from the pedestrian overpass. No one else followed her, but we watched and she got in his face and called him out for being sexiest/an a**hole/etc.. Then out of NO WHERE the dude punches her right in the face, dropping Jenny like a bad habit. With that, almost like in the beginning of Gangs of New York, the entirety of my group charges across the street at him (along with the other random Coug fans standing with us). He must have been drunker than hell cause he just stared at us like a deer in head lights. He was with a big group and two of his buddies grabbed him and the three ran for it into the tailgating area. The remainder of his group (who were still throwing insults at her on the ground) just stood there watching us come at them and I think they didn't expect the carnage that ensued, but our group collided with their's and basically there were punches thrown and people got tackled. Again, we kicked the crap out of them before cops ran over blowing whistles and broke it up. No one got arrested simply because 20+ people saw a Husky dude knock out a women, so the cops essentially let everyone off (I think they were just stressed out at what just occurred and were like "just get out of here").

2015- Nothing bad. Basically got harassed by a big old fat guy the entire game. He was doing his very best to try and provoke a fight, literally SCREAMING in my face at every good thing that happened to the Huskies (touchdowns, 4th down stops, goal line stands, etc..). He had a little routine where he would jump up and first scream/cheer towards the field, then turn to his wife and cheer/high-five her, then turn around face-level to me and SCREAAAMMMMMMM. Finally an even BIGGER coug fan sitting behind me leaned over me to the dude and was like "You keep screaming in our faces and I'll break your jaw". He shut up the rest of the 4th quarter lol.

I am undecided if I want to go to this year's Apple Cup. If I do I'll either go in a giant group of friends and family, or simply sit in the designated Coug section. I'm getting too old dealing with Seattle fans (I've seen the same nasty behavior at Seahawk games and occasionally at Sounder games as well, I have concluded that its just a "Seattle Fan" thing, not just isolated to Huskies).

"Basically got harassed by a big old fat guy the entire game."

This guy?
th

th

RE: your 2015 experience - it takes so much effort to be that big of an a$$hole/ douche I can't help but think it takes away from the enjoyment of the game. I mean, seriously - you just spent $75 of your welfare check to head down to Husky stadium and you're going to spend the whole time yelling at an opposing fan? Wouldn't cheering with your own be even better?

I mean, I hate the Huskies as much as anyone, and given the chance I'll give it to them (haven't had the chance in what.... going on 8 or 9 years now?), but I'm not ruining my own time for the sake of being a poor winner. Seems counter productive, but then if I had to live in King County I might be perpetually bitter as well. (Probably Pierce, for all the GRCC alum)

Autzen is fine, Duck fans are fine. WSU section is section 39, try to get in there as its more fun at road games to sit in the visitors section.

Husky stadium is a pile. Husky fans are a giant steaming pile. They can all go to hell.

RE: your 2015 experience - it takes so much effort to be that big of an a$$hole/ douche I can't help but think it takes away from the enjoyment of the game. I mean, seriously - you just spent $75 of your welfare check to head down to Husky stadium and you're going to spend the whole time yelling at an opposing fan? Wouldn't cheering with your own be even better?

I mean, I hate the Huskies as much as anyone, and given the chance I'll give it to them (haven't had the chance in what.... going on 8 or 9 years now?), but I'm not ruining my own time for the sake of being a poor winner. Seems counter productive, but then if I had to live in King County I might be perpetually bitter as well. (Probably Pierce, for all the GRCC alum)
this is so true. guys who spend that kind of energy must just fundamentally misunderstand what it even means to enjoy a sporting event. like, they think a thing that happens to occur sometimes (jawing w/ an opposing fan) is actually the main point of the experience.

Reasons while I'll just never step inside Husky Stadium ever.

You couldn't pay me to. Even if it was free tickets or if they were playing another team.

I attended the Oregon game a couple of years ago in Autzen. Rather leery and expecting the worst after hearing stories of others' experiences. Had a great time. We won and the U of O fans were greatly disappointed but good sports about it. No problems at all.

No comments from me about Montlake. I refuse to give the sniffers a dime. The last time I attended a uw game at Montlake, Jim Sweeney was our coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT