ADVERTISEMENT

Here's one for you: mandatory insurance for gun owners

Washington is looking at a bill that would require gun owners to have homeowners or renter's insurance to cover "losses or damages resulting from the accidental or unintentional discharge of the firearm"

Wonder what industry/lobby could possibly be behind this?

https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=5963&Initiative=false&Year=2023
I guess my first question is "what is covered now?". And I'm not going to try and find my policy. I would assume/hope that most policies have liability coverages that would cover this kind of thing? And who will incur damages? Little brother who got accidently shot?

Insurance rates....... :(

Also, I see that the .05 DUI/BAC bill is in Committee. Sorry all you teetotalers, but if passed this will decimate the bar and restaurant industry that is still recovering from COVID.

I caught some news report lamenting all the drunk driving deaths and how this will save countless lives. And some reporter said an average (175 lb?) guy could have 4 drinks in 2 hours and be below .05. Bullshit.

Here's my thing. How many drivers at .05 get into wrecks and hurt or kill innocent people? We probably have no way of knowing because at .05 you a) aren't getting in a wreck, and/or b) since .05 is currently legal, what arrest stats would there be? A: None.

What I would like to see is stats on accidents and sadly injury/fatal crashes, and what the driver's BAC was. And overall stats on the same criteria where alcohol was not a factor.

I would bet $20 that very few crashes, injury/fatal or not, involve a .08 or say .09 driver. Further I would double down and bet that the non-alcohol crashes, etc. are damn near as many as the .08 ones. Shit I bet texting-caused accidents are twice as many.

The guys (or gals) that you hear or see in the news careening the wrong way down the freeway, or running red lights, or speeding through town at a high rate of speed or running into a tree are F-ed up. Way, way over .05 or .08. Fine to throw away the key on those that do that. But the careful guy who share a pitcher or 2 with his buds then cautiously makes his way home obeying all laws? C'mon. Do not tell me that going from .08 to .05 will save one life. Complete BS.

I guess my first question is "what is covered now?". And I'm not going to try and find my policy. I would assume/hope that most policies have liability coverages that would cover this kind of thing? And who will incur damages? Little brother who got accidently shot?

Insurance rates....... :(

Also, I see that the .05 DUI/BAC bill is in Committee. Sorry all you teetotalers, but if passed this will decimate the bar and restaurant industry that is still recovering from COVID.

I caught some news report lamenting all the drunk driving deaths and how this will save countless lives. And some reporter said an average (175 lb?) guy could have 4 drinks in 2 hours and be below .05. Bullshit.

Here's my thing. How many drivers at .05 get into wrecks and hurt or kill innocent people? We probably have no way of knowing because at .05 you a) aren't getting in a wreck, and/or b) since .05 is currently legal, what arrest stats would there be? A: None.

What I would like to see is stats on accidents and sadly injury/fatal crashes, and what the driver's BAC was. And overall stats on the same criteria where alcohol was not a factor.

I would bet $20 that very few crashes, injury/fatal or not, involve a .08 or say .09 driver. Further I would double down and bet that the non-alcohol crashes, etc. are damn near as many as the .08 ones. Shit I bet texting-caused accidents are twice as many.

The guys (or gals) that you hear or see in the news careening the wrong way down the freeway, or running red lights, or speeding through town at a high rate of speed or running into a tree are F-ed up. Way, way over .05 or .08. Fine to throw away the key on those that do that. But the careful guy who share a pitcher or 2 with his buds then cautiously makes his way home obeying all laws? C'mon. Do not tell me that going from .08 to .05 will save one life. Complete BS.
Likewise, I see requiring insurance for gun owners to be extremely unlikely to have any impact on gun injuries and deaths.

Here are a couple of links with answers about BAC in crashes. The other (obvious) variable is age and experience behind the wheel. Average BAC in fatal crashes is somewhere around 0.15 to 0.16, but young drivers have accidents at lower BAC (including zero BAC). Over 1/3 of 21-45 year old drivers in fatal accidents are higher than 0.15.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6676697/
https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-vehicle/motor-vehicle-safety-issues/alcohol-impaired-driving/

Likewise, I see requiring insurance for gun owners to be extremely unlikely to have any impact on gun injuries and deaths.

Here are a couple of links with answers about BAC in crashes. The other (obvious) variable is age and experience behind the wheel. Average BAC in fatal crashes is somewhere around 0.15 to 0.16, but young drivers have accidents at lower BAC (including zero BAC). Over 1/3 of 21-45 year old drivers in fatal accidents are higher than 0.15.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6676697/
https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-vehicle/motor-vehicle-safety-issues/alcohol-impaired-driving/
I actually tried to read through all this. The first article - wow a word salad of graphs and stats, meandering all over the place. In the second article, I picked out one piece. In 2020, traffic deaths were: zero alcohol, 63.5%. .01 to .07, 5.3%. .08 and above, 31.2%.

Kind of would like to see that parsed out a little more, like the over .08 broken out a bit more by BAC. Maybe it is somewhere in all those graphs. It does sort of tell the layman that alcohol does NOT cause almost 2/3 of deaths, and less than .08 is pretty much inconsequential.

Good stuff though. May take a deeper dive later.

There are no exclusions for Home Insurance liability coverage in relation to weapons. Weapons don't cause the damage. People do.

Shooting someone with a gun... stabbing someone with a knife... having a mean dog bite someone... mother in law at your house trying to wack your friends with a broom...

It's all covered as long as it is by accident.

2 rules of Home Insurance liabilty and the rest is pretty easy...

1) If an action/item isn't specifically excluded... it's covered.

2) If you're doing something to make money or participating in an illegal activity... it's "probably" not covered.

What's really funny about requiring insurance is how this will hurt poor people... which our state constantly tries to forbid. In some cases, almost reward.

If a person can't rent a home/apartment or own a house... do you really think they have the money to buy insurance?

To me this is extra stupid and wishful thinking with a side order of "look what I cane up with!"

People with Homeowners/Renter's Insurance are already covered... as long as it's good people not trying to do bad things.

Tell me again how in America we have a right to say "you're broke... you can't have a gun?"

It would never stand up in the Supreme Court

Reactions: ATACFD
There are no exclusions for Home Insurance liability coverage in relation to weapons. Weapons don't cause the damage. People do.

Shooting someone with a gun... stabbing someone with a knife... having a mean dog bite someone... mother in law at your house trying to wack your friends with a broom...

It's all covered as long as it is by accident.

2 rules of Home Insurance liabilty and the rest is pretty easy...

1) If an action/item isn't specifically excluded... it's covered.

2) If you're doing something to make money or participating in an illegal activity... it's "probably" not covered.

What's really funny about requiring insurance is how this will hurt poor people... which our state constantly tries to forbid. In some cases, almost reward.

If a person can't rent a home/apartment or own a house... do you really think they have the money to buy insurance?

To me this is extra stupid and wishful thinking with a side order of "look what I cane up with!"

People with Homeowners/Renter's Insurance are already covered... as long as it's good people not trying to do bad things.

Tell me again how in America we have a right to say "you're broke... you can't have a gun?"

It would never stand up in the Supreme Court

This ^^^^^^

This law is yet another attempt to make owning, getting, having a gun, etc, be tooo expensive, and thereby eliminate people having guns.

And they think that this will eliminate gun shootings, etc.

All this will really accomplish is that among the law abiding people, whether poor or rich, causing another HAVE AND HAVE NOT division.

The poor people won't be able to have guns, protect themselves, etc.

The rich people will be able to have guns, and protect themselves.

Criminals will still be able to get guns, and will still do gun shootings.

And gun shootings will increase because the criminals will know that the law abiding people, won't have guns to defend themselves, unless they are rich.

The state supreme Court, appeals court, US Supreme Court, etc, will shoot this unfair, unconstitutional law down

Reactions: ATACFD
Um guys, the criminals are not going to focus on the poor people who can't afford insurance or pay rent or, perhaps, afford a gun to protect the property that they don't have?

You are broke - you can't afford a gun.

The poor people won't be able to have guns, because, they are broke and can't afford them.

Um guys, the criminals are not going to focus on the poor people who can't afford insurance or pay rent or, perhaps, afford a gun to protect the property that they don't have?

The poor people won't be able to have guns, because, they are broke and can't afford them.

Your still not getting that this law WILL NOT STOP GUN SHOOTING DEATHS.

ALL THIS LAW WILL DO IS CREATE HAVE, WHO HAVE GUNS, AND HAVE NOTS WHO WONT HAVE GUNS.

AND THE CRIMINALS WILL STILL GET GUNS, BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT OBEY THIS NEW GUN LAW, AND THE CRIMINALS WITH GUNS, WILL STILL DO GUN SHOOTINGS.

One only has to look at Chicago, with the strictest anti gun laws in nation.

Your still not getting that this law WILL NOT STOP GUN SHOOTING DEATHS.

ALL THIS LAW WILL DO IS CREATE HAVE, WHO HAVE GUNS, AND HAVE NOTS WHO WONT HAVE GUNS.

AND THE CRIMINALS WILL STILL GET GUNS, BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT OBEY THIS NEW GUN LAW, AND THE CRIMINALS WITH GUNS, WILL STILL DO GUN SHOOTINGS.

One only has to look at Chicago, with the strictest anti gun laws in nation.
Don't yell at me, I'm not in favor of the bill. My point was that poor people can't afford to buy guns. Or ammo. They don't just hand them out.

And I did not know about Chicago's (and Illinois's) strict gun laws. I checked and you are absolutely correct. Learn something every day.

When you say “the criminals,” are you referring to the thugs on the street or the ones in Olympia?

Don't yell at me, I'm not in favor of the bill. My point was that poor people can't afford to buy guns. Or ammo. They don't just hand them out.

And I did not know about Chicago's (and Illinois's) strict gun laws. I checked and you are absolutely correct. Learn something every day.
Chicago is flooded with guns coming in from neighboring states it has nothing to do with their strict gun laws but that is a popular wingnut claim

When you say “the criminals,” are you referring to the thugs on the street or the ones in Olympia?
Good one, and no disagreement here - although I would not use the term "criminals". The left wing in control of our legislature does do some criminal things though. Just not literally.

Good one, and no disagreement here - although I would not use the term "criminals". The left wing in control of our legislature does do some criminal things though. Just not literally.
Like pass a bill, put it on the election ballot asking constituents "Keep this insane spending bill that taxes you into oblivion" or "Repeal" said bill......... Its a Repeal vote for me every time. I actually went along with the Light Rail Transit bill back in what 2016(?). Definitely have buyers remorse because that collection of taxes is out of control.

Re: the DUI level issue...I'd assume the bulk of the data is from nations where this was implemented long ago and has had significant impact. I'd agree that there is no magic bullet (odd turn of phrase for this thread...) at 0.05. But it is clear from places (Australia is an example) who have implemented this and enforce it rigidly that alcohol related accidents drop way off. Nobody wants to be close to 0.05. It was a big cultural shift for the Aussies, but it has had significant impact. Google it if you are curious. I'm not advocating, just answering the question about from whence the data came, and the clear nature of the results. Not really open to question. Whether we want to do it here is a separate question, but again, the data is clear.

Chicago is flooded with guns coming in from neighboring states it has nothing to do with their strict gun laws but that is a popular wingnut claim
Why doesn't Indiana, with way looser gun laws and is where lots of these guns come from, have anywhere near the gun violence issue? "Wingnut claim" lol

Re: the DUI level issue...I'd assume the bulk of the data is from nations where this was implemented long ago and has had significant impact. I'd agree that there is no magic bullet (odd turn of phrase for this thread...) at 0.05. But it is clear from places (Australia is an example) who have implemented this and enforce it rigidly that alcohol related accidents drop way off. Nobody wants to be close to 0.05. It was a big cultural shift for the Aussies, but it has had significant impact. Google it if you are curious. I'm not advocating, just answering the question about from whence the data came, and the clear nature of the results. Not really open to question. Whether we want to do it here is a separate question, but again, the data is clear.
Australia had had it at .05 since before most of us were born. A bit different than what you see in the movies and TV shows. And many want it to be even lower. .02 (one beer) or even zero. Some countries are already there.

Sorry, I still don't buy into .05. I really have yet to see stats that quantify drunk driving deaths by BAC increment. It's just "above" the limit. I guarantee that in every bar you walk into, most of the patrons would be above .05, and quite a few above .08 (now anyway).

Show me deaths and accidents at .05, .06, .07, .08 and on up. And then show me deaths and accidents due to texting or other cell phone use, or too old people driving around in their big boats.

So, what happens when insurance drops you? Like what is happening now for auto and homeowners.
And how do you enforce it? That's one of my big beefs with the liberal crowd. Even if the idea isn't terrible, the devil is always in the details.

I have guns, but don't believe they are listed or registered anywhere. So you require insurance to buy one? That will be fun to administer. And what if I just drop my renter's policy after buying said gun? Different than with a car, because if you get pulled over........

Australia had had it at .05 since before most of us were born. A bit different than what you see in the movies and TV shows. And many want it to be even lower. .02 (one beer) or even zero. Some countries are already there.

Sorry, I still don't buy into .05. I really have yet to see stats that quantify drunk driving deaths by BAC increment. It's just "above" the limit. I guarantee that in every bar you walk into, most of the patrons would be above .05, and quite a few above .08 (now anyway).

Show me deaths and accidents at .05, .06, .07, .08 and on up. And then show me deaths and accidents due to texting or other cell phone use, or too old people driving around in their big boats.

FWIW, the earlier post suggests that fear of law enforcement at 0.05 is more of a deterrent than 0.08. In my case, I guarantee that in my lifetime, I've been past 0.08 because I was over-confident in my body's ability to metabolize the alcohol and get it out of my system. If I knew the trigger was lower and if the penalties were harsh, I'd be less inclined to push it.

That said, I think it's really dumb to lower the limit more.

Make no doubt - this is 100% a(nother) cash grab by the state of WA.

I could make point after point about why this wont be effective as to what they say it will do, but suffice it to say that if any society were really serious about drinking and driving it would be one strike and your out. There's a couple of Euro countries that do this, I believe. That being said, it is entirely possible to live a productive life in most European countries without a car - here not so much.

Like pass a bill, put it on the election ballot asking constituents "Keep this insane spending bill that taxes you into oblivion" or "Repeal" said bill......... Its a Repeal vote for me every time. I actually went along with the Light Rail Transit bill back in what 2016(?). Definitely have buyers remorse because that collection of taxes is out of control.
Problem is that those are almost always advisory votes, and nobody's under any obligation to follow them. Even if 95% of people vote "repeal" there's nothing that says they have to.

Why doesn't Indiana, with way looser gun laws and is where lots of these guns come from, have anywhere near the gun violence issue? "Wingnut claim" lol
I can't point to (or look for, right now) any data to support this, but I'm absolutely certain that you'll find a very strong correlation between gun violence and number of low-income residents. Not percentage or per capita of low income - sheer number. When you get a lot of them in one place, it turns into a zoo. And, where do we concentrate our low income residents? Cities - and the larger the city, the more of them we have.

Another problem I see is that we continually focus on homicide rates. Those are misleading, especially when you're dealing with small numbers. For example, in 2022, Kennewick had 6 gun homicides. Seattle had 44. But their homicide rates were 6.0 per 100K for Kennewick and 6.1 per 100K for Seattle. Using rates hides the real numbers...especially when you're using city limits as your boundary, and makes it look like places are pretty similar, when they're not.

Make no doubt - this is 100% a(nother) cash grab by the state of WA.

I could make point after point about why this wont be effective as to what they say it will do, but suffice it to say that if any society were really serious about drinking and driving it would be one strike and your out. There's a couple of Euro countries that do this, I believe. That being said, it is entirely possible to live a productive life in most European countries without a car - here not so much.
Bingo, America's (and my) love affair with the car. That is what throws me about Australia (and frankly about their gun laws as well). Never been there, but I do know that a whole lot of it is BFE (Bum F Egypt). You telling me those folk out in the Outback aren't swilling big time then getting in their Utes and driving home?

F-ing Washington. I have lived here since I was 5 and want to get the F out of here and finish my life somewhere else. Someplace nice and temperate (not too hot or cold) and with a reasonable cost of living and no poisonous reptiles or prehistoric monsters in the waterways or horrible bugs or rampant crime or 3 toothed rednecks or leftist wingnuts or any of that shit.

Hmmm. Narrows it down to........?

Bingo, America's (and my) love affair with the car. That is what throws me about Australia (and frankly about their gun laws as well). Never been there, but I do know that a whole lot of it is BFE (Bum F Egypt). You telling me those folk out in the Outback aren't swilling big time then getting in their Utes and driving home?

F-ing Washington. I have lived here since I was 5 and want to get the F out of here and finish my life somewhere else. Someplace nice and temperate (not too hot or cold) and with a reasonable cost of living and no poisonous reptiles or prehistoric monsters in the waterways or horrible bugs or rampant crime or 3 toothed rednecks or leftist wingnuts or any of that shit.

Hmmm. Narrows it down to........?
They've got less than 10% of our population and population density, and most of them live on the coasts. If you get just a little into the interior, you can drive around all alone.

I think your criteria, in a single sentence, pretty much eliminated all of the land surface on the earth.

So, what happens when insurance drops you? Like what is happening now for auto and homeowners.
There are still some "high risk" companies that will take you in. It can cost a zillion though.

The state had a BRILLIANT idea of making a type of "forced acceptance" insurance on the Auto Side. So if no one will cover you, you can still get something.

Home Insurance really isn't "required". It's just smart to have. The mortgage companies have it set up so "the mortgage" can still be insured even if the house isn't.

There are still some "high risk" companies that will take you in. It can cost a zillion though.

The state had a BRILLIANT idea of making a type of "forced acceptance" insurance on the Auto Side. So if no one will cover you, you can still get something.

Home Insurance really isn't "required". It's just smart to have. The mortgage companies have it set up so "the mortgage" can still be insured even if the house isn't.
My favorite is the “uninsured motorist” coverage. Insurance is mandatory, but you need to buy coverage that covers if someone else doesn’t.

My favorite is the “uninsured motorist” coverage. Insurance is mandatory, but you need to buy coverage that covers if someone else doesn’t.
It's really more about "under insured".

People that carry the minimum really don't have enough.

Of course... "enough" is a relative term

You really don't have anything intelligent to add to any thread, regardless of the topic, do you?

Am I wrong?

edit: From Google -

William Hale Thompson (May 14, 1869 – March 19, 1944) was an American politician who served as mayor of Chicago from 1915 to 1923 and again from 1927 to 1931. Known as "Big Bill", he is the most recent Republican to have served as mayor of Chicago.

Democrat ran shit hole for damn near 100 years.

Am I wrong?

William Hale Thompson (May 14, 1869 – March 19, 1944) was an American politician who served as mayor of Chicago from 1915 to 1923 and again from 1927 to 1931. Known as "Big Bill", he is the most recent Republican to have served as mayor of Chicago.

I don’t know who ran it, but it’s been a shithole longer than that. Stockyards, railroads, political jungle as early as the 1850s. And it was built in marshy lowlands so their first sewer line flowed back into town. It literally was a shithole.

Am I wrong?

I dunno. You tell me. Or tell Al Capone.

Political alliances

Chicago politicians had long been associated with questionable methods, and even newspaper circulation "wars", but the need for bootleggers to have protection in city hall introduced a far more serious level of violence and graft. Capone is generally seen as having an appreciable effect in bringing about the victory of Republican mayoral candidate William Hale Thompson, who had campaigned on a platform of not enforcing Prohibition and at one time hinted that he'd reopen illegal saloons.[54] Thompson allegedly accepted a contribution of $250,000 from Capone. Thompson beat Democratic candidate William Emmett Dever in the 1927 mayoral race by a relatively slim margin.[55][56]

I dunno. You tell me. Or tell Al Capone.

Political alliances

Chicago politicians had long been associated with questionable methods, and even newspaper circulation "wars", but the need for bootleggers to have protection in city hall introduced a far more serious level of violence and graft. Capone is generally seen as having an appreciable effect in bringing about the victory of Republican mayoral candidate William Hale Thompson, who had campaigned on a platform of not enforcing Prohibition and at one time hinted that he'd reopen illegal saloons.[54] Thompson allegedly accepted a contribution of $250,000 from Capone. Thompson beat Democratic candidate William Emmett Dever in the 1927 mayoral race by a relatively slim margin.[55][56]
This reminds me…it’s funny if you look at democrats and republicans over time. They’ve both basically moved 180 degrees and swapped platforms.

This reminds me…it’s funny if you look at democrats and republicans over time. They’ve both basically moved 180 degrees and swapped platforms.
On a national scale, some issues have seen this happen more than once.

Your mortgage loan requires insurance. The servicer will force place it (now known by the friendlier label of "lender placed insurance") if you don't have it, which is incredibly expensive. I made two claims on my homeowners within a five year period and Safeco dropped me.

Why shoot people in Indiana when it is so easy to go hunting in Chicago???

Your mortgage loan requires insurance. The servicer will force place it (now known by the friendlier label of "lender placed insurance") if you don't have it, which is incredibly expensive. I made two claims on my homeowners within a five year period and Safeco dropped me.
Alway boggled my why this happens. You'd think that they would want to continue collecting to try to break even. Or maybe the math is they'll never break even and the whole insurance industry is a gamble that you'll never claim and once you do they've lost.

You are correct, but there are differences between covering the mortgage and covering the house.

The lender placed insurance can be fool's gold.

In some cases, the insurance can be so stupidly high that it's cheaper for the "mortgage coverage"

It's unfortunate, but insurance is probably the most truthful measurement out there for reality. Insurance has to "guess/predict" what will happen, how many times, how serve... and then figure out there own expenses to calculate what to charge.

Of course on top of that... what to do with their profit money or how to protect themselves from misjudging.

There have been lots of idiots out there for a very long time, but COVID and and insurance commissioner + governor push it far and beyond what we should be at.

Numbers don't lie. Perfect example? Smokers vs. Non-Smokers

But just to make everyone shake their head a little bit...

If you allow more people to drive like dumbasses... make it so everyone can drive whether legal or illegal... put more expensive vehicles on the road... etc...

Why would anyone ever question why rates go up?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT