ADVERTISEMENT

How much are we to blame? Isn't it mostly our fault?

I don't want to have to lay out the Pac-12 Networks' flawed inception and execution, nor how hosed WSU would be with a piss-ant Mountain West media rights cut, for the 85th time. As for the social war shit, I could do without it, but if you think this is bad, you haven't been here long. Thread stays.
Of course it stays. As does racist comments, conspiracy’s, far right commentary and occasional sports talk

Imagine being such a pathetic snowflake that you are upset about a state farm commercial.

Right wingers get offended by literally everything and it is hilarious.
Imagine being such a pathetic snowflake that you are upset about an analysis of why TV content viewing is declining just because it has one small comment about race, and what appears to be PC affirmative action in the casting.

Now if the original Jake had been cast as a black or brown person, that's all fine, who cares. It is making the change that is stupid and obvious pandering.

BTW, just because someone has a comment on race, or has a discussion about race, does NOT equate to them being a racist. Just FYI....

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
Imagine being such a pathetic snowflake that you are upset about an analysis of why TV content viewing is declining just because it has one small comment about race, and what appears to be PC affirmative action in the casting.

Now if the original Jake had been cast as a black or brown person, that's all fine, who cares. It is making the change that is stupid and obvious pandering.

BTW, just because someone has a comment on race, or has a discussion about race, does NOT equate to them being a racist. Just FYI....
This is tone deaf. If you don’t understand that A) noticing that Jake from a State Farm commercial is now black (for who knows what reason fyi) and then B) using this as an argument that it is brown-washing (wtf) in a sports forum dedicated to Washington state football I’m not sure what to tell you.

it took 5 seconds to find out why the recast happened at which point they cast the best actor for the role.

Not everything is a nefarious liberal conspiracy, you dip shit

Reactions: OrangeGravy
This is tone deaf. If you don’t understand that A) noticing that Jake from a State Farm commercial is now black (for who knows what reason fyi) and then B) using this as an argument that it is brown-washing (wtf) in a sports forum dedicated to Washington state football I’m not sure what to tell you.
I was not the one that talked about brown-washing, which actually is a term I have never heard before. My comment about Jake/State Farm was simply one of 5 comments about the quality and quantity of commercials in TV content, and how that content was driving away viewers.

Jeez, the bit over the top reaction to this seems like the inverse of how the left reacted to the Florida slavery/black history curriculum. In that case, there was something like 200 listed goals/subjects to cover and a single one of them referenced how sometimes there were skills learned during their time as a slave that served to benefit them when they became free. The left seized on that, twisted and squirmed, and suddenly claimed that the entire Florida curriculum was about slavery being good for blacks. It's all a bit ridiculous IMO.

it took 5 seconds to find out why the recast happened at which point they cast the best actor for the role.

Not everything is a nefarious liberal conspiracy, you dip shit
Is the guys name still Jake? I forget. Would it be more or less of a conspiracy if they changed his name. Cuz I gotta be honest I’ve never met a black guy named “Jake”. I can however name about 20 UW QBs named Jake.

Crimoug,

Welcome, officially to our board. Here's a short backstory:

Many of us have been on this board from the very beginning, like 1997. It was then called "CougZone".

In the mid 2000's, I was the main Moderator for this board for 12 years.

We would delete or edit language, or anything over the top, that was not appropriate. But, we were hands off, except for extreme flaming and/or language, and felt we put out the best message board, ever.

Years later, other mods took over, (because they worked for Rivals, and were paid publish articles and to oversee).

After several years of trying, (premium model), this site does not make enough revenue for Rivals to pay attention to. So, for the past 3 years, or so....there is no mod.

So, what you see today is... what it is. A free for all message board, with no moderator. We like our board over Cougfan, (we don't need to call it Brand X anymore)!

In fact, we feel our board is by far, the best COUG board out there, and it always has been.

If you don't like what you see, just ignore and don't post. And remember, when football begins, most of this off- topic stuff generally fades away.

Last edited:
Crimoug,

Many of us have been on this board from the very beginning, like 1997. It was then called "CougZone".
In the 2000's, I was the main Moderator for this board for 12 years.
We would delete or edit language, or anything over the top, that was not appropriate.
Years later, other mods took over, (because they worked for Rivals, and were paid to oversee).

After several years of trying, (premium model), this site does not make enough revenue for Rivals to pay attention to. So, for the past 3 years, or so....there is no mod.

So, what you see today is... what it is. A free for all message board, with no moderator. We like our board over Cougfan, (we don't need to call it Brand X anymore)!

In fact, we feel our board is by far, the best COUG board out there, and it always has been.

If you don't like what you see, just ignore and don't post. And remember, when football begins, most of this off- topic stuff fades away.
Unless we have a coach that gets canned mid season for not taking a vaccine of course…

^^^^^ bitches about post content - proceeds to engage in said objectionable content. Heaven forbid you lose an internet post battle, but you sure told him! Congrats, you win jack shit!

Last edited:

BTW, just because someone has a comment on race, or has a discussion about race, does NOT equate to them being a racist.
Crimoug,

In the 2000's, I was the main Moderator for this board for 12 years.
We would delete or edit language, or anything over the top, that was not appropriate. But, I was hands off, and felt it was the best years ever.

Years later, other mods took over, (because they worked for Rivals, and were paid to oversee).

If you don't like what you see, just ignore and don't post. And remember, when football begins, most of this off- topic stuff generally fades away.
Good feedback. I haven’t really checked the boards much at all and like many of you wanted to go to a forum to read (in my case) thoughts, conjectures, possibilities for what could be ahead for the cougs. It’s worrisome for them and the pac 12 and while I found some thoughtful in-site and news I mostly found nonsensical political talk and weirdo right wing garage (this is coming from a republic by the way).

Good feedback. I haven’t really checked the boards much at all and like many of you wanted to go to a forum to read (in my case) thoughts, conjectures, possibilities for what could be ahead for the cougs. It’s worrisome for them and the pac 12 and while I found some thoughtful in-site and news I mostly found nonsensical political talk and weirdo right wing garage (this is coming from a republic by the way).
You haven’t even met Biggs yet! Don’t go anywhere it gets more fun!

Is the guys name still Jake? I forget. Would it be more or less of a conspiracy if they changed his name. Cuz I gotta be honest I’ve never met a black guy named “Jake”. I can however name about 20 UW QBs named Jake.
the black actor who plays him is literally named Jake

Reactions: Coug90
No, unless Big 12 fans are to "blame" for their conference getting members $31m a year. Which, by the way, is probably 40% of what SEC and Big Ten schools are going to get. Not like cord-cutting is just going on out west. What's going on out west is Larry Scott's dumb ass not going with a network partner, either at the beginning or when he had the chance later on, because he wanted to be a media company CEO.
Come on now. Larry went to Harvard. He can't be a measly athletic conference commissioner.

Fun fact, Wikipedia says his singles record is 1-18 as a professional tennis player.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Disney parks attendance is down. It's a fact. Whether you applaud, blame or see no connection to Ron DeSantis, is your own personal call.

In theory I was ok with the media company ceo thing, but turns out Larry was a gigantic p.o.s. when it came to being one.
I understand the concept- basically DIY and keep the profit. However, there are at least three really huge reasons that literally no other conference chose the same model: (i) cable and satellite subscriptions; (ii) startup costs; and (iii) tackling (i) and (ii) without the help of a broadcast partner. Partnering with Fox or ESPN gets you on every cable and satellite system in the country, and avoids a big chunk of the start up costs. And recovering the start up costs rely quite a bit on getting onto to every cable and satellite system. The horizon for the cost recovery was way too long when you have 10 year TV deals.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I don't think any of it would work, as I have been ranting about nonstop in this thread and for a decade, and even if at some point it was feasible -- not superior, but merely feasible, which I doubt -- that wouldn't make up for decades of falling behind in revenues received, poor distribution, bad exposure, no cross-promotion opportunities, and no real first-mover advantage, nor enough to offset the massive startup and ongoing operational costs for an amateur-hour production.

Why do you think it would work, even just in the sense of being viable? Who is going to sign up for the app, and how would that be superior to bundled distribution with ESPN OTA networks and, in the future, streaming apps?

Moreover, how would that first-mover advantage convey any real benefit? Let's say this suddenly was viable and outperformed the bundled approach using network partners. What's the benefit to it instead of doing what the SEC has done partnering with ESPN? How would any of that make up for decades of the massive costs and myriad manners of falling behind that I've written about?
The only way it "outperforms" is when you want to sell it to Fox or ESPN.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Hey - I may be getting old, but I'm not stupid. Bet my IQ is higher than yours. Just don't want to F with all this streaming BS just to watch my Cougs. At whatever cost. So you say yer sorry.

I just got back from the dog park. This 20 year old know it all punk was the only one there. He had his face buried in his phone, would not even exchange pleasantries. To busy watching some BS. A bit off the subject, but an example of why I hate technology.
Was he checking out your 23 year old girlfriend's Tinder profile?

Yer just jealous. Although my last GF is now 69 and was probably the best I ever had. Gawd I loved her.
Remember- once she's in the will get rid of all the pillows. That way she won't be able to suffocate you.

Devil emoji.

You wrote an entire diatribe on "brownwashing" but sure

If you don't think that brownwashing is a thing...you aren't paying attention.

FWIW, I don't give one sh!t about a state farm commercial, but I find it pathetic to see the ham-handed way that Hollywood has tried to flip the script on whitewashing to appease the PC oriented folks of the world. Shows that could have been great getting ruined by terrible casting just for the sake of DEI and changing show storylines in order to be "inclusive" is just not good in the long run.

If you read what I post, I'm generally a very moderate conservative and I proudly wear the RINO tag because I think the modern day GOP is a joke. That doesn't meant that I have to pray at the liberal altar on every item.

If you don't think that brownwashing is a thing...you aren't paying attention.

FWIW, I don't give one sh!t about a state farm commercial, but I find it pathetic to see the ham-handed way that Hollywood has tried to flip the script on whitewashing to appease the PC oriented folks of the world. Shows that could have been great getting ruined by terrible casting just for the sake of DEI and changing show storylines in order to be "inclusive" is just not good in the long run.

If you read what I post, I'm generally a very moderate conservative and I proudly wear the RINO tag because I think the modern day GOP is a joke. That doesn't meant that I have to pray at the liberal altar on every item.
Are you new, Flat?

That dude only flames. He'll never get into an actual discussion about anything with anyone. Why waste your time typing a reply?

It’s Couged’s fault. It’s always his fault. Then, now, future. All Couged’s fault. Always, all ways.

There's a lot of stuff on here that can most charitably be called off-topic, pervading almost every thread, but this place also has the best actual discussion of football and related issues of any Coug board.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Disney parks attendance is down. It's a fact. Whether you applaud, blame or see no connection to Ron DeSantis, is your own personal call.

What's funny is that people keep on saying, "the park is empty" and "nobody is there" but when you read the article that you linked, the average wait time for a ride in the park is still 33 minutes. That's pretty freakin' far from empty. Is attendance down? Sure. Is it related to Disney being too woke? Maybe. Is it just as likely that attendance is down because Disney restructured their pricing at the same time that the Fed has been jacking up our economy by raising interest rates? Absolutely. This desire to make it seem that Disney is going bankrupt because of wokeness is stupid.

Do I dislike some of the things that Disney is doing? Sure. Do I think that the Mouse is leaning a little too far to the left? Yes. Do I think that people on the right are more wrong than Disney? Yes. It's a freakin' complicated dilemma that people want to polarize because it's easier for simple minds to process.

I didnt know spokes people had life long contracts . Maybe the first jake put on weight . Maybe they wanted to appeal to a broader audience. Maybe the old jake was an actual agent who quit in 2014 to concentrate on an acting career.

But who notices this can be considered the “snowflake”. And your comment on the small adjustment to the curriculum in Florida as an overreaction . Not sure it would be all that different to than the few survivors of the Arizona at Pearl learned some life skills like how to swim .

Or the Jews in Auschwitz gained a life skill how to diet .

Good grief .

Reactions: OrangeGravy
I didnt know spokes people had life long contracts . Maybe the first jake put on weight . Maybe they wanted to appeal to a broader audience. Maybe the old jake was an actual agent who quit in 2014 to concentrate on an acting career.

But who notices this can be considered the “snowflake”. And your comment on the small adjustment to the curriculum in Florida as an overreaction . Not sure it would be all that different to than the few survivors of the Arizona at Pearl learned some life skills like how to swim .

Or the Jews in Auschwitz gained a life skill how to diet .

Good grief .
Pitch folks, actors, pimps, promotors typically stay around as long as they are believed to be helpful to the brand.
You have a lot of maybes in there, where you could have just looked it up and known what they actually said about. Of course, then you have to decide whether you actually believe what is being shoveled out at us.

And somewhere up about it was posted that new new guy is actually named Jake also. That is just not true. His name is KevinMimms or Miles, he seems to use them both. And I don't think they use him as Jake in the commercials now anyway.

As for Pearl Harbor and Auschwitz, those analogies are complete bullshit. Those are NOT skills learned, those are simply responding to life threatening situation that are out of their control.

If you want something better, here ya go. Some guy goes in the military and hates it, is yelled at a lot and not given much respect. His freedom is limited. His food isn't great and he is constantly told when to get up and what to do. However, during this time he is learning about electronics, or logistical support, or major construction, vehicle service and repair, etc. See, there are some ways in which he can benefit after leaving the service by utilizing the skills learned while enlisted. And that is the same thing that happened with some of the slaves. And before anyone jumps on that, I do realize that slavery was much worse than being in the military, they are not totally equivalent. But as I pointed out, they both could be benefited from skills learned and used while in slavery or the military.

And as far as the Florida situation, I see that our useless VP is refusing to debate DeSantis about the curriculum down there after lying to us all about what it is. What a chickenshit she is!!!

Pitch folks, actors, pimps, promotors typically stay around as long as they are believed to be helpful to the brand.
You have a lot of maybes in there, where you could have just looked it up and known what they actually said about. Of course, then you have to decide whether you actually believe what is being shoveled out at us.

And somewhere up about it was posted that new new guy is actually named Jake also. That is just not true. His name is KevinMimms or Miles, he seems to use them both. And I don't think they use him as Jake in the commercials now anyway.

As for Pearl Harbor and Auschwitz, those analogies are complete bullshit. Those are NOT skills learned, those are simply responding to life threatening situation that are out of their control.

If you want something better, here ya go. Some guy goes in the military and hates it, is yelled at a lot and not given much respect. His freedom is limited. His food isn't great and he is constantly told when to get up and what to do. However, during this time he is learning about electronics, or logistical support, or major construction, vehicle service and repair, etc. See, there are some ways in which he can benefit after leaving the service by utilizing the skills learned while enlisted. And that is the same thing that happened with some of the slaves. And before anyone jumps on that, I do realize that slavery was much worse than being in the military, they are not totally equivalent. But as I pointed out, they both could be benefited from skills learned and used while in slavery or the military.

And as far as the Florida situation, I see that our useless VP is refusing to debate DeSantis about the curriculum down there after lying to us all about what it is. What a chickenshit she is!!!

First, anyone joining the military is doing it by choice and can leave anytime (even if they get a black mark for life). Not really a good analogy. The Pearl Harbor and Auschwitz analogies are far more applicable. Those people did not choose to be in the situations that they were in.

First, anyone joining the military is doing it by choice and can leave anytime (even if they get a black mark for life). Not really a good analogy. The Pearl Harbor and Auschwitz analogies are far more applicable. Those people did not choose to be in the situations that they were in.
Seriously? You are going to argue that they were learning a skill? PH they were simply swimming for their lives, being the Navy it is pretty darn sure that the vast majority of them already knew how to swim.

As for the Jews, what skills were they learning, how not to die? Were they learning to be farriers, or mechanics, or anything else? Hell no.

The whole point is about some folks in a situation that learn a skill that will be helpful later in life.

Seriously? You are going to argue that they were learning a skill? PH they were simply swimming for their lives, being the Navy it is pretty darn sure that the vast majority of them already knew how to swim.

As for the Jews, what skills were they learning, how not to die? Were they learning to be farriers, or mechanics, or anything else? Hell no.

The whole point is about some folks in a situation that learn a skill that will be helpful later in life.

Jesus Christ. Your reading comprehension sucks. I was saying that your military comparison was stupid. People may hate being in the military, but if they don't like the drills and other bullshit you listed...they can quit. It's a ****ing choice to be there. Slavery, concentration camps and being a victim of a bombing were not choices.

Anyone who suggests that slavery, concentration camps or the Pearl Harbor attack had upsides because they taught life skills is a moron. Don't be a moron.

Stretch...I am not gonna lie. Simply jaw dropping.

First, they weren't really "maybe's. The original Jake was an actual agent. The first jake actually left in 2014 from State Farm to pursue an acting career including commercials.

Second, They went to the second guy for a couple of reasons. He is younger, and he will attract an even more broad audience.

Third, Pearl Harbor, Auschwitz, and slavery are tragedies. Why try to change history or simply tone it down to placate some "snowflakes" (is that the correct use of the term) is ridiculous. In is our history.

Ever occur to you that the slaves had skills in their homeland and didn't need to be educated how to pick cotton with a chain around their legs?

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT